• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #9 ~ The Poll

Which entry did you like the most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

160036-albums4747-picture89109.png

160036-albums4747-picture59728.png

160036-albums4747-picture89114.png

Contestants are to create a full-size Faction of their choosing that would (reasonably) be found in the chosen Biome. This race must fit aesthetically, stylistically & thematically with the other 4 Factions of Warcraft 3. You will need to consider how that Faction balances with the other Factions and how it impacts the metagame of melee as a whole.

The Biome should be either Forest or Desert (you need to include this in your description, when posting the final submission).

Welcome to the poll for Techtree Contest #9: Biome! Please read through the rules before voting!

160036-albums4747-picture59725.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

160036-albums7436-picture85977.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points
  • Judge(s): 20 reputation for each assigned judge. (Since 2016-01-03. Offer stands for a week, after that we will let the poll decide.)

160036-albums7436-picture85978.png

• Pharaoh_
  • Apheraz Lucent

160036-albums4747-picture59736.png

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.20

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.10

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score. 10

DISCLAIMER:

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with rep and otherwise cheating with the VB poll system will get you disqualified, banned from future contests and neg-repped, depending on the severity of your case. This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you.

Additionally, voting for your self is not encouraged, because the vote will not be counted anyway.

Entries that are valid on the poll doesn't equal immunity; either cheating the poll or being evaluated by the judge that your entry is violating the rules of the contest or the site's in general, automatically puts your entry at risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I do expect at least a comment for voters. Sadly I wasn't in the mood to try with experimental poll system since this contest already was dragged far to much. And Kyrib0 I expect good quality reviews from you.
I don't know about 'experimental poll system', but it's not too late to add "voters must leave a comment" or "please use two points, divided as you choose, to vote".

Heck, the Borda Count method (in the Hero Contest) would be perfect here; people will likely rank them anyway into a "best - second - worst", and that's all a "preferential voting method" is, anyway.

That being said, don't hold your breath. I'd love to say I'll be able to review, but I find time is a horribly lacking resource for me nowadays. I was even late to review the Hero Contest (that I hosted and entered). :<

Yrk

Yrk

Level 6
Voting for SpellBound :D, I like his Viper or Naga xD

My Top List:
-Spellbound
-Kingz
-VeljkoM

Last edited:
Level 21
Hey you didn't vote so you weren't obligated to say something and also you said in advance that you just couldn't do it. Really next time please remind me to try to include poll system Hero contest had. I wrote my opinions in the main thread regarding Kingz and Spellbounds races but I just wasn't sure for whom to vote.

I know I don't deserve to win but would be really nice if people wrote their own opinions.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hey you didn't vote so you weren't obligated to say something and also you said in advance that you just couldn't do it. Really next time please remind me to try to include poll system Hero contest had. I wrote my opinions in the main thread regarding Kingz and Spellbounds races but I just wasn't sure for whom to vote.

I know I don't deserve to win but would be really nice if people wrote their own opinions.
Sure, I can do that. However, I will admit that the MBC method does have a bit of overhead (for the compiler & for the voters), so you may want to stick with the simpler "dual-vote" method (I did it for the Modeling Contest #25; each voter gets 2 votes to give to either 1 or 2 entries).

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I don't get it. Why is this hard to wrap up? Spellbound has 9 votes and is in a clear lead above everyone else.

I'd be able to check out the tech-tree. I don't have judge experience regarding tech-trees, but as a detail oriented guy, I can relate to tech-trees.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Does winning the first one count as being able to judge it?
I'd say it does. Can you have them done in a week? I can run the numbers and set up the results thread.

I don't get it. Why is this hard to wrap up? Spellbound has 9 votes and is in a clear lead above everyone else.
Public polls are just that. Public. People could have voted for his entry because they're his friends, or because his username was cool, or because they woke up with finger spasms and happened to tick his box instead of closing down the page. Point being, we don't know with public polls, which is why they usually only account for 25% of the winning entry.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Public polls are just that. Public. People could have voted for his entry because they're his friends, or because his username was cool, or because they woke up with finger spasms and happened to tick his box instead of closing down the page. Point being, we don't know with public polls, which is why they usually only account for 25% of the winning entry.

True.

I can help out here. As far as I understood, these are tech trees as an addition to the standard 4 in warcraft. They need to be scored as objectively as possible and given a judge score in the 4 criteria described on the main page. Is that it?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
As far as I understood, these are tech trees as an addition to the standard 4 in warcraft. They need to be scored as objectively as possible and given a judge score in the 4 criteria described on the main page. Is that it?
Thankfully, due to my efforts, the Contest criteria & description now explicitly spell this out. : )

*finishes tooting own horn*

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Thankfully, due to my efforts, the Contest criteria & description now explicitly spell this out. : )

*finishes tooting own horn*

Yeah I can relate to that with the other tournaments where I was judging, criteria sucked at first then it got polished and now its awesome :)

Status
Not open for further replies.