• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
and who said SC2 models are high poly? they are still low poly just with more details to work on. It's actually harder since you must make a low poly version and then make a high poly version from which to obtain the normal map.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. He's just saying that the low poly is easy to do, it's creating a good high poly which you use to bake the normal map that's hard. He's also talking about how it's harder to create good looking normal maps to be used in older engines that aren't exactly optimized for normal maps.

Oh yes, it might be worth noting that the editor is going to be added to the beta sometime in April. Just thought i should mention that little detail. :p

Level 10
I hope that there is more recourse and models in Galaxy Editor. Cant wait any longer!!! BTW is there any GUI for triggering?

Mutalisk_Fan_Art_Painting_by_Maxor_GWD.jpg

http://maxor-gwd.deviantart.com/art/Mutalisk-Fan-Art-Painting-158403639

Level 12
Galaxy and GUI can both do the same exact things in StarCraft II. However, if you know Galaxy more, it's faster to use Galaxy than GUI.

Galaxy and GUI can both do the same exact things in StarCraft II. However, if you know Galaxy more, it's faster to use Galaxy than GUI.

I'm sorry, but your argument is completely argueable. It's almost impossible for a language of higher abstraction to be able to do everything that it's lower abstraction level can do. If GUI would be able to do everything that Galaxy could do, then it would need to be almost identical to galaxy itself and that would render making a GUI pointless.

Level 11
hiho,

i got a very important question.
well, you cant really answer without the final editor,
but i just want to know what you do think about it.

will it be possible to change tooltips of abilities, units ander even other objects ingame with triggers?
that would be something i really suggest for some map types - for example RPG maps.

what do you think?
will they add this feature or is it just too much work?

Robbepop

Level 19
I do believe you are wrong about there not being an in editor model editor. Bilzzard has talked about there being one... and the Terraton is more than proof of a model editor.

Look at the videos again, it is clearly just a model. Look how the Terran units just randomly shoot on the ground and not the unit itself.

There are no indications that the Galaxy Editor will feature a modeling editor. And it wouldn't actually make sense since there are already multiple alternative. Could you link me to your source? I've never heard about it even once.

Level 12
Yeah.
I got two keys with two fake accounts I made using opt-in. One key for my mapmaking team and one for ma bestestest friend.
Another friend of my brother's made SIX accounts, and FIVE of them got in via opt-in. One account for him, one for my brother, and now he has 3 useless keys. No you may not have them.
All in all, a new wave has gone out today.

Level 12
It's supposed to be out by the end of April.
And when Blizzard sets a semi-specific deadline like that they usually stick to it.

Level 12
Or a general one.
They only tend to follow semi-specific.
Unless it has something to do with WoW... *disgust*

Level 7
Will this new editor only have starcraft units by default in the unit editor? Or will it have warcraft units too? (I doubt they would put warcraft units in the editor but it would make me want this game even more if they did)

Level 9
Will this new editor only have starcraft units by default in the unit editor? Or will it have warcraft units too? (I doubt they would put warcraft units in the editor but it would make me want this game even more if they did)

420 MB seems like a bit too much to me, and I dont see why you would want them. They will look extremly out of place and poor quality if you could convert them.

Level 7
Well it would be nice because I wouldn't have to use the WCIII world editor ever again, and all my space units for space maps would be there as well as my wc3 units.

EDIT:
It would be even cool if Blizzard made an ultimate editor like on a seperate disk thats compatable for both wc3 and starcraft II (and any new Blizzard games.)
EDIT2:
sorry for the double edit... but just wanted to say your link "Mooglefrooglian" came up as 2 viruses on my virus scanner.

Level 9
Just like JNGP is a virus too, right?

And no, I will simply repeat that WC3 is going to look stupidly out of place inside of SC2 if and when models are converted. That is all.

Level 13
...and then there's the fact that you'd have to be one naive, lazy motherfucker to automatically convert a WarCraft III map to a StarCraft II format whilst expecting it to hold a candle to the maps that are properly remade to take advantage of the engine, art, and battle.net capabilities.

Level 12
this April or next yr? cause i am getting Avatar at the end of this month :)

The Galaxy Editor will be out within a month.
And StarCraft II should be out within 3 months.

Don't get Avatar, man. It was a terrible game; I got it on my PS3. The movie was great, but the game just sucked. Save up for SC2.

Level 8
The Galaxy Editor will be out within a month.
And StarCraft II should be out within 3 months.

Don't get Avatar, man. It was a terrible game; I got it on my PS3. The movie was great, but the game just sucked. Save up for SC2.

3 months for Sc2??? REALLY? I though it was more like a year or so. Were did you find Blizzard saying this?

Level 8
Oh whew thats good :p Gives me more time to learn to model and texture :p Well I can't wait for the game just its going to take some time to buy it if its constantly going to be sold out .

Level 19
Screw waiting for the thing, im still w8ing for the editor to come out. Im psyched to play like a kid in a toy store with that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.