1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by redmarine, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    spend your 10.000th post wisely. :p

2. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Static means that the language doesn't change by default, while vJass for example does.
    new scripting language means new syntax, new functionality with the old commands.

3. Ice Bane

Ice Bane

Resources:
    Resources:

Thing is I don't think we will need that, Blizzard have clearly stated that they will keep a good eye on requests for the Galaxy Editor after release and keep it up to date!

4. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's a company, they always say things like that.

5. foo_sharp

foo_sharp

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really have to think about whether to wait for SC:II or do my project on Warcraft now that I've seen what's possible with the new editor...

6. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wait.

7. Ice Bane

Ice Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is true, hence you must remember that this is Starcraft we're talking about, they WILL put a lot of effort into it, just watch how much feedback they have been taking from communities while developing the game.

Starcraft II is a follow-up of the Esport that was developed via Starcraft, and the culture that rose via the Warcraft III editor, both these are extremly powerful and since Blizzard clearly is one of the top game developers in the world (if not the best?), I find it hard to believe that they will just ignore their fellow modders.

Just look what they will put into B.net 2.0, map-sharing and even selling! They really encourge us.

8. Ice Bane

Ice Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with LordDz, wait! If you want to create a popular map SC2 is the one to aim for!
    Also the editor will have A LOT more possibilities than Wc3Edit.

9. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And a lot more competition that's for sure.

Hopefully I'll be one of the first one to create a risk map. :p

10. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We're not even sure how the bnet 2.0 map system will work. They say they will alow users to sell maps, if so then they must have a strict download and hosting protocoll in bnet so that people don't mess around with these maps and distribute them offsite. Not to mention if all downloaded maps from bnet are compiled on a particular maps folder, you can simply rip off a paid map and distribute it for free. Unless they bind it to an MPQ or something but files from MPQ can still be extracted. Their only solution to this I guess is an integer key binded to your cdkey so even if you have the map file in your sc2, you can't play it unless you've paid and have authentication - this, you can't mess cuz its in their database.

Having said that, if you're to create a non-free map, people will only pay it if the demand is very inelastic. Otherwise, free maps and with the complexity of bnet 2.0 will just outweigh those maps that you have to pay...

This is maybe the reason why they're postponing the release because not only do they have to perfect the game, but they must also create secured online platform like Steam...

11. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm... I'm wondering, where did you get the official information about everyone being able to upload premium maps? At BlizzCon Rob Pardo said that only worthy maps would be hosted as premium. (And I assume that he means that they're in charge of hosting). As far as I know there has been none official statement that has contradicted that.

12. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Never said everyone will be able to upload premium maps, but everyone has the "opportunity" to do so. I doubt any premium maps will work out unless you make a very fantastic one that will be so highly demanded.

13. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Quality should always be top notch regardless of competition ;)

What I've heard is that maps close to being new GAMES will have a chance to become premium maps, so if a team manages to create a very good full conversion mod, then it might become a premium map. But what the hell, time will tell.

14. redmarine

redmarine

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's the same impression I got. Blizzard is in charge of what map can become a premium map since it would have to build up a community first and deliver some crazy good content beyond what Dota delivers(Rob Pardo said that).

15. Ice Bane

Ice Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    It doesn't really matter if you're the first to create a risk map or not, if someone creates it before you, just analyze it and take its features to another, better level in your own map.

That's how blizzard created World of Warcraft :p

16. Ice Bane

Ice Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    Indeed, I think aiming for having a map selling won't work, aiming for the community and some real astonishing content, that's a good aim!

17. syltman

syltman

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think it's not a question about making a fantastic map but making it really hq.

Meaning little to no bugs, a unique gameplay, original skins and models and all those stuff

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Map selling will work as it is not aimed at users like you or me. It is aimed at lets say square enix if it suddenly decides to make a 30-40 hour single player campaign using only orignal content. Multiplayer maps for sure will not cost, even DotA is not worthy to be a pay map.

19. kRaZy-bLaZeR

kRaZy-bLaZeR

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just got an erection after i finished reading that.

20. Anachron

Anachron

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The thing I don't like is the whole not-oop thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.