• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.

Can someone tell me how "Libaries" work?

Level 19
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.

Can someone tell me how "Libaries" work?

Think about them as a library and that anyone can publish a book(codes) to and put it in there for the program/map to read. A lot easier than only allowing one developer to write code at a time.

That's the basic definition of a library.

Level 4
Think about them as a library and that anyone can publish a book(codes) to and put it in there for the program/map to read. A lot easier than only allowing one developer to write code at a time.

That's the basic definition of a library.

Oh! Like an easier way of doing import/export then?

I dunno if you know the wc3 editor but is lets say "Orc - Buildings" a "Libary" in the Object Editor of wc3?

Level 4
I'm familiar with the editor but could you please elaborate a bit more? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking about.

You know if you go into the Object Editor you could chose to edit; Units, Doodads, Abilities, Upgrades e t c

In Units all units are divided within several categorys logically ordered by race, structure/unit e t c.

Is this a sort of "libary"?

Level 19
You know if you go into the Object Editor you could chose to edit; Units, Doodads, Abilities, Upgrades e t c

In Units all units are divided within several categorys logically ordered by race, structure/unit e t c.

Is this a sort of "libary"?

Uh... Well, I'm no expert but I would guess so. Libraries are usually a huge stack of functions which programs can use.

Level 4
blizzard.j is a library. That's the only library (other than the native libraries common.j and common.ai, which hardly count) that I can think of as being in the default Warcraft editor.
blizzard.j? I feel like a complete newbie! xD
But if don't ask I won't learn will I? :)

Level 4
If there are any limitations Vexorian or someone will create 'v'Galaxy.

Thing is I don't think we will need that, Blizzard have clearly stated that they will keep a good eye on requests for the Galaxy Editor after release and keep it up to date!

Level 5
I really have to think about whether to wait for SC:II or do my project on Warcraft now that I've seen what's possible with the new editor...

Level 4
It's a company, they always say things like that.

That is true, hence you must remember that this is Starcraft we're talking about, they WILL put a lot of effort into it, just watch how much feedback they have been taking from communities while developing the game.

Starcraft II is a follow-up of the Esport that was developed via Starcraft, and the culture that rose via the Warcraft III editor, both these are extremly powerful and since Blizzard clearly is one of the top game developers in the world (if not the best?), I find it hard to believe that they will just ignore their fellow modders.

Just look what they will put into B.net 2.0, map-sharing and even selling! They really encourge us.

Level 4
I really have to think about whether to wait for SC:II or do my project on Warcraft now that I've seen what's possible with the new editor...

I agree with LordDz, wait! If you want to create a popular map SC2 is the one to aim for!
Also the editor will have A LOT more possibilities than Wc3Edit.

Level 12
And a lot more competition that's for sure.

Hopefully I'll be one of the first one to create a risk map. :p

We're not even sure how the bnet 2.0 map system will work. They say they will alow users to sell maps, if so then they must have a strict download and hosting protocoll in bnet so that people don't mess around with these maps and distribute them offsite. Not to mention if all downloaded maps from bnet are compiled on a particular maps folder, you can simply rip off a paid map and distribute it for free. Unless they bind it to an MPQ or something but files from MPQ can still be extracted. Their only solution to this I guess is an integer key binded to your cdkey so even if you have the map file in your sc2, you can't play it unless you've paid and have authentication - this, you can't mess cuz its in their database.

Having said that, if you're to create a non-free map, people will only pay it if the demand is very inelastic. Otherwise, free maps and with the complexity of bnet 2.0 will just outweigh those maps that you have to pay...

This is maybe the reason why they're postponing the release because not only do they have to perfect the game, but they must also create secured online platform like Steam...

Level 19
We're not even sure how the bnet 2.0 map system will work. They say they will alow users to sell maps, if so then they must have a strict download and hosting protocoll in bnet so that people don't mess around with these maps and distribute them offsite. Not to mention if all downloaded maps from bnet are compiled on a particular maps folder, you can simply rip off a paid map and distribute it for free. Unless they bind it to an MPQ or something but files from MPQ can still be extracted. Their only solution to this I guess is an integer key binded to your cdkey so even if you have the map file in your sc2, you can't play it unless you've paid and have authentication - this, you can't mess cuz its in their database.

Having said that, if you're to create a non-free map, people will only pay it if the demand is very inelastic. Otherwise, free maps and with the complexity of bnet 2.0 will just outweigh those maps that you have to pay...

This is maybe the reason why they're postponing the release because not only do they have to perfect the game, but they must also create secured online platform like Steam...

Hmm... I'm wondering, where did you get the official information about everyone being able to upload premium maps? At BlizzCon Rob Pardo said that only worthy maps would be hosted as premium. (And I assume that he means that they're in charge of hosting). As far as I know there has been none official statement that has contradicted that.

Level 12
Hmm... I'm wondering, where did you get the official information about everyone being able to upload premium maps? At BlizzCon Rob Pardo said that only worthy maps would be hosted as premium. As far as I know there has been none official statement that has contradicted that.

Never said everyone will be able to upload premium maps, but everyone has the "opportunity" to do so. I doubt any premium maps will work out unless you make a very fantastic one that will be so highly demanded.

Level 25

Quality should always be top notch regardless of competition ;)

Never said everyone will be able to upload premium maps, but everyone has the "opportunity" to do so. I doubt any premium maps will work out unless you make a very fantastic one that will be so highly demanded.

What I've heard is that maps close to being new GAMES will have a chance to become premium maps, so if a team manages to create a very good full conversion mod, then it might become a premium map. But what the hell, time will tell.

Level 19
Quality should always be top notch regardless of competition ;)

What I've heard is that maps close to being new GAMES will have a chance to become premium maps, so if a team manages to create a very good full conversion mod, then it might become a premium map. But what the hell, time will tell.

That's the same impression I got. Blizzard is in charge of what map can become a premium map since it would have to build up a community first and deliver some crazy good content beyond what Dota delivers(Rob Pardo said that).

Level 4

It doesn't really matter if you're the first to create a risk map or not, if someone creates it before you, just analyze it and take its features to another, better level in your own map.

That's how blizzard created World of Warcraft :p

Level 4

Indeed, I think aiming for having a map selling won't work, aiming for the community and some real astonishing content, that's a good aim!

Level 14
I think it's not a question about making a fantastic map but making it really hq.

Meaning little to no bugs, a unique gameplay, original skins and models and all those stuff

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Map selling will work as it is not aimed at users like you or me. It is aimed at lets say square enix if it suddenly decides to make a 30-40 hour single player campaign using only orignal content. Multiplayer maps for sure will not cost, even DotA is not worthy to be a pay map.

The thing I don't like is the whole not-oop thing.

The editor features a proprietary scripting language called Galaxy[22] based on C, but users will also have access to the more user friendly Trigger Editor which will allow beginner and intermediate map designers to make advanced maps without having to learn the scripting language.[4][14]

Galaxy will not be object-oriented, but most of the functionality is based on modifying game objects.[22]

Triggers will be able to "communicate" with each other. The editor supports custom function definitions; for instance, a map maker can create their own actions built up from actions (or custom script code) and use them in triggers.[22]

Galaxy features a "garbage collection" system which will prevent memory leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.