• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BlizzCon 09 - 23 August - Some SC2 Editor Spoilers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKF

TKF

Level 19
I watched it live, so I've to say this with my own words.

SC2 Editor is going to be more awesome!

Confirmations:
Complex inventory available
Editor tool is better than wc3 editor
Simpler to make 3 dimensions psysics
A lot more

Spoilers:
SC2 Editor is a little more difficult to learn than wc3 editor
Blizzard showed a zerg experimental unit called Uberlisk with sick spines on his back (not sure if it was a joke but it owned about 40-50 zerglings or more + some buildings)
Blizzard made a custom AoS map which comes with the game
Blizzard made a custom Stargunner/2d spaceshooter which comes the game
Blizzard made a custom a 3rd person map which comes with the game
Partially inbuilt Save/Load feature for use in rpg maps (Based on your nick think, stored offline in wc3 folder)
Easy to add number of attacks to a unit (They are not random like phönix fire)
Animation on the attacks, like uberlisk attacked with spines in the demonstration
Partially inbuilt psysics engine (maybe i heard wrong but i got excited)
.... I forgot some but there was so much minor and major editor spoilers during the Q&A session!

Rebbats_k_cab (at Battle.net forum) said:
- New water tools. No longer tied to cliff level. Can be animated, like raising/lowering.
- Lighting editor - Used to create the dark red glowing effect on the lava planet when lava rises.
- Multiple cliff types can be connected together.
- Alpha texture blending. No more tiles, you can paint multiple textures then blend them together.
- Roads - Paint roads by click-n-dragging.
- Terrain foliage - Doodads are created automatically on top of certain textures, like grass and bushes on grass textures.
- Physics mainly used visually, but can be used for damage/blocking stuff in mods.
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.
- No included model editor, you still need 3DStudio or similar.
- Map protection and other features to prevent map stealing etc...
- Customizable UI, you can add buttons, dialogs, images as desired.
- Banks - Can save data in maps which is stored locally on your system (can be used for savegames, so you simply load your progress the next time the map is played). In multiplayer you can retrieve the bank from any player (through triggers).
- Editor available in beta (probably not from day 1)
- Easy to make interesting mods using the data editor, mod examples:

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=19377451832&sid=3000

(I might be wrong at some points, pls correct me if I was...)

Custom Map Screenshot Spoilers:

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

If you know more spoilers post it here.

Last edited:
Level 15
In wc3 you must have it (dummies), but not in sc2.

As you see in one of the youtube vides about SC2 at 1:07, you can see that the hyperion battlecruiser have several attacks while it's moving.

Yeah, you can see that it has multiple attacks. But how do you know the technical aspects behind it? You don't, so please don't use absolutes.

Considering the complexity behind having multiple different attacks, i would think each attack/weapon would have to have a unique entity attached to the parent node (in this case, the vehicle).

Level 8
I especially love the fact how smooth everything seems to be. Sure you could do a Third Person Schooter in Wc3 some way, but it most likely would be kinda stiff.
And heck, they said they even implanted mouse-aiming / camera moving like you know it from real Shooter into the engine! Awesome.

Level 14
Blizzard made a custom AoS map which comes with the game
Blizzard made a custom Stargunner/2d spaceshooter which comes the game
Blizzard made a custom a 3rd person map which comes with the game
Awesome. I can't wait to play them. Also the editor looks really great.

Status
Not open for further replies.