• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 World Editor Questions Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Here are a couple SC2 questions I have on my mind about it's World Editor. If you also have any questions about it, post it in this thread.

-Will the SC2 models be using .mdx or a new file-type?

-If we import the original Grunt model for example from WC3, will the Grunt look better and be affected by the new graphics in the game? (i.e. Shading and Lighting on model in-game looks better.)

-Will there be even more GUI triggers to be selected and use in SC2 World Editor than in WC3 World Editor?

-Will SC2 use JASS scripting and/or better scripting codes to trigger?

-Will SC2 World Editor allow midi sound files to be imported and work properly?

-Does SC2 World Editor come with a Campaign Maker option and AI maker?

That is all I can think of really... for now. Please answer these questions!

Level 3
First of all, did you even bother to check out the biggest fan sites growing? Not to advertise but, www.sc2armory.com and www.starcraft-bunker.com

There your answers can be solved. And you would've saved the forum a thread. :p

And there's no friggin way to import wc3 models into sc2, unless they have a converter, but that would totally ruin it. Why the hell would anyone want to see a Peon in space anyway? :p

Yes, and they mixed it with GUI. And didn't even bother to clean it up! Think about it, JASS = Pros, GUI = Beginners, they went for the middle, and didn't polish it up. Totally pissed alot of people, including Vex.

And they really were going to use a different language. SCUMEdit is more powerful than WE, so it's gonna be fun xD

Level 3
Seriously, open your eyes man! There's a new WotW tripod joining the Protoss and an jumping fool with two pistols joining the Terran. There's loads of new things, not just graphics.

There's never been a hero in SC2, well except in the campaigns, which were heroes, but not like wc3 heroes..

But implementing a hero system would still be fine, as long as there are no heroes in melee it's ok by me.

We'll definitely be seeing Aeon of Strife coming back.

Level 15
-Will the SC2 models be using .mdx or a new file-type?
New. Since they're using Inverse Kinematics for animation and some cool new Havoc physics.

-If we import the original Grunt model for example from WC3, will the Grunt look better and be affected by the new graphics in the game? (i.e. Shading and Lighting on model in-game looks better.)
No. In theory it may receive better lighting, but it would look worset due to a superior environment. Starcraft 2 models use normal maps to enchance models to look more highly detailed, plus they're higher poly from go.

-Will there be even more GUI triggers to be selected and use in SC2 World Editor than in WC3 World Editor?
Unknown. There's likely to be some missing due to differences in objects (no items, heroes, creeps etc) but new functionality for Sc2's enchanced gameplay. Unlimited unit selection baby :)

-Will SC2 use JASS scripting and/or better scripting codes to trigger?
Both a GUI triggering system and a scripting language, confirmed to be based on C, so not JASS.

-Will SC2 World Editor allow midi sound files to be imported and work properly?
Unknown.

-Does SC2 World Editor come with a Campaign Maker option and AI maker?
Most likely since these are fundamental features of their games.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Model files will DEFINATLY be different since now they will probably have distortion bubble, shadow controls and lighting direction. They WILL NOT or most lightly not have major phisicis options since phisics will most lightly be bone based or less since this is a RTS and not a FPS and phisics require huge amounts of precessing power which blizzard does not want.

Level 7
Toink, thats the questioned I asked too... who the heck will need to use war3 models in SC? I already tried with making war3 a SC game trying to change the buttons. the panels, but it was ok since war3 allowed such things to be done SC and BW's editors were too old and limited. Now better stay in war3... lol peons in space. Or UD in soace or sorc and casters... no thx I wouldn't want to play a war3 version in SCII, I'd stick to war3 if I were to want this.

However, some of us will still want to use some models made by us like tanks, laser towers, etc in SCII, they will all fit in the game let's hope they make exporters from the 3D modelling programs to SCII. In this way all models made for war3 like those Starwars, etc. may be brought back to 3ds or ms3d from where we can still use our models. Besides, the info in the other sites is too limited, they have yet to add triggers and decide what the editor must have.

Model files will DEFINATLY be different since now they will probably have distortion bubble, shadow controls and lighting direction. They WILL NOT or most lightly not have major phisicis options since phisics will most lightly be bone based or less since this is a RTS and not a FPS and phisics require huge amounts of precessing power which blizzard does not want.

Oh, right distortion bubbles. I was confused when you mentioned bubbles in another thread.

Distortion effects are my dreams. I just love distortion.

Level 2
so starcraft will be good only with melee maps and custom maps like Defend Raccoon City?
that will suck seeing how they won't have heroes that level up but rather have them to be stronger than regular units

Level 7
The firtst editors I used were exactly SC&BW, I wasn't good at triggers at all. Shortly before starting war3 I made wonders with war2 editor in war2. SC2 will be way more advanced edtior than war3 so even without heroes you can turn it into a game with heroes.

No experience? Then use triggers to change the hit points and Energy of your unit-hero with an amount if killed units, add and remove abilities, maybe triggs will allow to change the dmg of an ability, use it, use destructibles to make items, pick items with triggers - hide unit with model of a weapon, add ability as if you have the item. There you go, heroes.

Level 13
getting pissed off at blizzard, a welcome suprise ?

What about all those generals mods or the Pay to Play system that sucks your money dry with WoW or how they put off making a sequel for one of theyre better games for 10 years. No, i wont be suprised, but i will be angry.

I honestly don't care if heroes make it in or not. They always pissed me off in Wc3 due to the early rushing and harrasing. Which made the first player to get a BM preety much have a general advantage over the other players.

Level 3
You mean heros like in the current SC? The one thing i hope is that they ACTUALLY let us import models and not force us to use the gay current models that are stuck in the map (Especially with that problem in warcraft III editors where ppl are missing ALOT or ALL of TFT models and abilities)

Level 13
people use TFT stuff to save space. Yess the import manager is in there, how do i know? Blizzard said everything from the Wc3 WE will make a return and that means importing is in there for sure. Wc3 models are not gay you just need to learn how to be flexible with them.

Level 25
Not to be rude but... Can we all just STFU about scumedit.net and Clan CBS? This thread is going waaayy off-topic lol; if you want to talk about negative things about these, just post your own thread somewhere else. This thread is about SC2 World Editor Questions, ask questions about it, answer what you can...
/flame off

Anways, another question about SC2 Editor:
Will the SC2 Editor allow the player to add more than 12 players? Not sure if this is a nessecary Editor question, but atleast it's not off-topic and it's something I'd like to know :p

Level 32
[off-topic]

Not to be rude but... Can we all just STFU about scumedit.net and Clan CBS? This thread is going waaayy off-topic lol; if you want to talk about negative things about these, just post your own thread somewhere else. This thread is about SC2 World Editor Questions, ask questions about it, answer what you can...
All right.

This thread has been brought to my attention only today. Everyone should be familiar with and understand:

The Hive Workshop > FAQ > THW Rules > Flaming
Deliberately hostile or insulting messages may not be posted under any circumstances.

The Hive Workshop > FAQ > THW Rules > Going Off-Topic
Users should maintain the integrity of thread topics and post in any thread only to reply to its subject.
For now, no reputation penalties are being assessed. However, any further posts in this thread that violate the above will exceed the limits of my patience.

~ 31 posts deleted due to flaming and/or off-topic behavior.

Level 8
Wow THIRTY ONE?

Thank you Wolverabid.

I LOVE Inverse Kinematics+Havoc/Chaos engines and am really glad that they are implementing them.

On the topic of Heros.... I like that Starcraft does not have them, it's the game's theme really... but people are going to come up with an XP system and evolution tree about 15 minutes after they get the game and put it on b-net.... which is not a bad thing, but I hope we can really expand on SCII instead of just re-doing EVERY SINGLE Wc3 B-net map for SCII...

Last edited:
Level 9
Without hero temlates built in, which they could use for campaign heroes and just not put them in melee. Which is the safest middleground that makes everyone happy. But, yes we can make a xp engine, although it will probaly be not as good as the one on wc3.

Level 24
I'd be extremely surprised (and extremely disappointed) if Blizzard didn't include at least a basic hero system, with stat and EXP systems to compliment. The singular reason that the majority of people buy WC3 (DotA, sadly) revolves entirely around heroes. WE was a nod to the modding community with WC3, I doubt they'd ignore it that badly with SCII. I believe most people are of the opinion that they want a hero system, but don't want heroes in ladder/melee.

Level 26
A hero system that blizzard will never use... that sounds extremely illogical. They might as well take out the hero system as a whole and let the people who want heroes stay with wc3.

Level 24
They'll use it to sell a game. Won't be too hard to recycle the system from WC3, and they could use it in the campaign, or have separate hero rankings.

Level 7
I'm not a dota hater like you although this is the only non-melee I play, rarely, but without heroes there may not be dota. I don't mind getting rid of the hero system. Because, Blizzard as well as me, care about the melee balances, not about 'will you be able to make your RPG'. Heroes had major unbalances in war3, overpowered with which you can win vs a small army, it is not even like chess in this way, the interersting thing is if you lose your units, you lose the game, not 'you have heroes to win vs a whole army'. As MySpaceBarBroke said, if you want heroes SOOO much stay with war3 and don't enter the coolness of SCII. I won't miss heroes, it's even better without them, for custom games heroes can always be made even with levels without the need of exp bar and levels displayed.

Level 35
On the subject of heroes I am not opposed to the idea of having something similar. After all like Dawn of war the heroes there dont ruin gameplay for melee maps and they dont stand alone either they have to be supported by troops inorder to gain a goal.

Heroes like that I think would be a good addition to Starcraft 2.

And though I like heroes and I like warcraft special characters are not a bad Idea just because they made gameplay in warcraft a hero frenzy.

But I still like starcraft and I wouldnt mind to see a few elite characters that lead the warriors into the fray. But they need to support and get support from the soldiers not act as one man armies.

Level 13
gj at making even more people hate you Impac.

On topic: Heroes are not needed, everything can be done with triggers, you just need skill to do it now.

Level 26
They've been making heroes out of triggers for a long time in starcraft. Seeing as starcraft 2 will probably have much more capability than warcraft iii, a hero system shouldn't be far away, already made or not.

Level 7
gj at making even more people hate you Impac.

Why should I hide what I like and what I don't? I can say whatever I want, this is my opinion. And I don't care who hates me, anyone can say anything against me and I won't answer at all, that person will be directly reported&punished and this time I will be the innocent as I won't say anything after that. Ofc there are nice maps here, I've seen some of them, I prefer those SC/other futuristic maps, some have created pretty good maps like the C&C, the 'konstrukt' map with 'konstrukt items' but I don't have time to play such things anyway. While they are pretty nice. Lately I just make fun of Dota, don't think that only mappers hate dota, we soloers (most of 'em), also make fun of it because it requires a lot of skill - 1 hero control!!!!! Some are so dumb that they can't do even that ...

Level 24
Yeah they can do it with triggers, but I'm saying lots of people would be disappointed if they didn't at least have a built-in system. I also know that lots of people will be disappointed if heroes in their current uber form are included in melee. Not to mention, heroes sell games a la DotA. It seriously is sad that people buy WC3 for that, but Blizzard is fine with it because it sells games.

Rofl Impac. Just so you know, I've seen and remember when you threatened Werewulf. Don't be so arrogant, you're just a lowly member, it doesn't matter who you are anywhere else, here you're the same as everybody else. Don't be so arrogant especially when you're being arrogant about somebody else's idea, or with something you have absolutely no power over. The only people that are allowed to threaten punishment farther than reporting posts are the forum moderators and administrators.

Sorry Wolver, but this idiot needs to hear this:
Your threats fucking suck. "It doesn't matter if you PM me, I'll delete it." "I don't care what you say, I'll ignore you." "I'll report&punish you and then stop talking." "I've gotten mods kicked off of other forums." Grow a pair and just straight out insult people you fucking pussy, your attitude isn't worth shit if all your insults are basically "I'm going to tell on you and ignore you." In fact, your attitude would hardly be worth shit if you actually did insult people anyways.

Level 35
Atleast a hero template would be nice and like I said if done properly can maximize gameplay.

after all I dont always want to have a bunch of the same old army and not have some leader in it to make the game a little more epic. A plain army of infantry and vehicles without any special characters seems very empty to me but a one man army is also very empty.

Level 26
Atleast a hero template would be nice and like I said if done properly can maximize gameplay.

after all I dont always want to have a bunch of the same old army and not have some leader in it to make the game a little more epic. A plain army of infantry and vehicles without any special characters seems very empty to me but a one man army is also very empty.
It's an RTS. Heroes aren't necessary. I've played many rts games of which do not need a leader besides you. Not only are they not necessary, they wouldn't be realistic in the starcraft universe beyond mere special units used for campaigns.

Level 26
I still like to have someone to lead a battle charge and I have also played many like that but I still think that a leader unit isnt as bad as everyone thinks its going to be.
...no. It was creative on fantasy but it's just stupid on sci fi. To have a hero which levels up and learns spells which also are able to be leveled up belongs nowhere in a futuristic environment, not to mention sc2 should have a contrast in gameplay than wc3.

Level 35
NO!!! I'm not talking about a "level up gain experience and spells" hero I am talking about a special character that leads forces into battle and mabye gains upgrades for abilities and such. and example of this would be the heroes from Dawn of War or the special Characters from the Command And Conquer series.

Level 26
NO!!! I'm not talking about a "level up gain experience and spells" hero I am talking about a special character that leads forces into battle and mabye gains upgrades for abilities and such. and example of this would be the heroes from Dawn of War or the special Characters from the Command And Conquer series.
Those only belong in campaigns. It'd be tedious to send them out like red alert 2, where special units can be mass produced like crazy ivan or yuri. That would be even less realistic.

Level 26
aaahhhh you are missing the point it doesnt have to be some thing that is spamed it can be a special character that is produced once like the farseer or the avatar or the force commander or the mammoth mk1.
Having a leader for your army changes the whole way the balancing works out. I'd like starcraft 2 better as an army type of thing, not with a powerhouse unit to make armies much more concentrated.

Level 24
There could be separate ladders/stats for hero and non-hero play. I'm not saying I want them in melee, but I'd like them to be there just in case.

Level 26
Starcraft heroes belong where they started - in custom games. Lack of melee heroes also gives warcraft 3 a reason to stay alive, and a reason to believe starcraft 2 will be any different from wc3 (minus the environment and lore). sure, they can make a new trigger system that allows for making heroes in a way, but that's just about it.

Level 13
The Sc story was so much more rich gory and awesome.

Its like comparing the 300 to that god awefull D&D movie.
Sure theyre both okay, sure the acting may be a bit weak in both, but one is decidedly awesome and the other... not so much.

just my 2 cents tho, im a sci fi fan as well so im biased

Status
Not open for further replies.