• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sc2 Tilesets, Cliffs and Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey guys, I just wanted to know if someone would be kind enough to post the texture file of any sc2 tileset and cliff so that I could get a head start in sc2 with making custom tilesets and cliffs. I want to prepare for a mod I want to make for sc2 and I want to create a lot of custom models to fit its theme so if possible, could someone post a cliff and tile so that its openable in photoshop. And my last question, which 3ds Max would you prefer to model sc2 models? I saw some people testing sc2 models in various versions of 3ds Max and I was wondering, which version should I use?

Level 8
LMFAOO at the beggining i was like YOU GOTTA BE SHITTING ME :p Then I read it and yea. Thanks a lot, ima check it out. I already have the plugin for Photoshop so its all good :):p

EDIT: Intresting way to put the textures. I don't know if you know this but what those the specular texture do? And the diffuse reflects the sky a bit right? Correct me if Im wrong.

And my last question, which 3ds Max would you prefer to model sc2 models? I saw some people testing sc2 models in various versions of 3ds Max and I was wondering, which version should I use?

if it's for further development:

Max 9 & max 2008 are the most likely versions that support the SC2's Art Tools.

if it's for importing:

Any version will do, the .m3 importing script is written in maxscript.

Level 8
Diffuse is the color you see.

Specular is how much of the light source is reflected back at you. Think of specular as the stuff that puts the "sparkle" on things. It throws the glare back at the camera on a flat surface.

That's the short answer. The long answer is:
Diffuse - the amount of light diffusely reflected back at the camera. A beam of light will strike the surface, be absorbed as little or as much as the diffuse map defines, then reflected back at a RANDOM!!!! angle.
Specular - same as diffuse but, NOT A RANDOM ANGLE! A mirror would have the highest possible specular value, but this is a game, so actual reflections are a totally different ball game all together.

In summary, specularity fakes a reflection of the light source, and the specular map shows how much a particular part of a surface will reflect the source light back at a camera.

Specular is how much of the light source is reflected back at you. Think of specular as the stuff that puts the "sparkle" on things. It throws the glare back at the camera on a flat surface.

Diffuse - the amount of light diffusely reflected back at the camera. A beam of light will strike the surface, be absorbed as little or as much as the diffuse map defines, then reflected back at a RANDOM!!!! angle.
Specular - same as diffuse but, NOT A RANDOM ANGLE! A mirror would have the highest possible specular value, but this is a game, so actual reflections are a totally different ball game all together.

In summary, specularity fakes a reflection of the light source, and the specular map shows how much a particular part of a surface will reflect the source light back at a camera.
Edit: oh lol, i just noticed some shit i did :p

Though, there are: Static, Normal, Backdrop, Diffuse, Emissive.

Level 8
if it's for further development:

Max 9 & max 2008 are the most likely versions that support the SC2's Art Tools.

if it's for importing:

Any version will do, the .m3 importing script is written in maxscript.

Oh okay. Thanks a lot +rep.

So in the picture, the lighter the picture the more is reflected?

Status
Not open for further replies.