1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Importing WC3 Models into SC2?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Apr 13, 2009.

1. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will we be able to import any warcraft 3 models into the Starcraft 2 editor and play them on the game? I mean wouldn't it be cool to be playing and suddenly see Orcs with flamethrowers and machine guns? Well, either way, somebody will probly make better models of space orcs for SC2. I'm just curious.

2. Kwaliti

Kwaliti

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ask Blizzard.

3. Restor

Restor

Resources:
    Resources:
    IMHO it will be possible, I doubt they will be mdx also, but some clever people will find a way to import them.

Of course sites like this one will have to prohibite models from wc3 to scII, cos they unlogically prohibited wow models in wc3.

But even SCI had totaly different "art" than wow or wc3, it was more "serious_looking", wc3 and wow are more fairy looking.

4. Ghost765

Ghost765

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    whatz about SCII>>>>Wc3

5. jadegolem

jadegolem

Resources:
    Resources:
    No its SCII(Currently)<Warcraft 3 TFT
    Its a fucking beta for fucks sake(32% finished) They barely have battle.net 2.0

lol

6. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Bret_Wood answered this question in a batch. He said that SC2's model format is way too different for converting warcraft 3 models.

As it looks like, I imagine Wc3 models will need to be rag dolled in order for them to fit SC2's Physics engine. There are many problems also concerning modelñ skinning (the act of linking geometry to bones) and how it will apply. We also don't know about the FK support and which animation controllers are supported by SC2.

Another issue is the MDL Objects, in other words, the model components, like particles and ribbon emitters. We don't know about SC2 particle systems, lights, etc. I'm pretty sure Sc2 may be using a Particle flow based system, so converting wc3 particles will be a pain in the arse.

Among other issues are Texture format and Unwrapping, which unwrapping system would Sc2 use or how to make texture conversion.

The best is to wait for the Beta, once the Beta be released, we can reverse engineer the model format and find out how it works. There's a big possibility that SC2's model format be a new version of the mdx format, just like WoW's md2.

7. jadegolem

jadegolem

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beta Smeta. Lets just buy the damn game.

8. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you have the raw file (.3ds, .obj) etc. then use, you can convert it to whatever format SC2 will be.
    It has been comfirmed that the models WILL NOT be mdx file formats.
    Plus wc3 models will look like shit in SC2 because all SC2 models have normals, spec, diffuses etc. And WC3 models have nothing and horribly low poly. GL,
    -Bane

9. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If models from Milkshape or 3ds can be exported to sc2 models, it's all good. You may have to redo particles or animations, big deal, the shape and the texture matters in the 1st place. that's how I see moving some futuristic models I have into sc2, and ofc the team color has to be remade.

10. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Milkshape not even supports IK and you expect it to support Sc2's format?! lol!

Milkshape is doomed, so those milkshape fanboys better start learning max unless you don't want to model for sc2.

11. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah milkshape has no future for sc2, especially because a low poly model (made in milkshape) will look rediculous in sc2, and it has no good normal generator, or any nextgen functions whatsoever. Hopefully blizzard will release an art tools plugin for max 9 and 2009 so i can finally model..

12. skrab

skrab

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    YEAH tell them BlinkBoy :ctwist::ctwist::ctwist:

13. PrinceofIce

PrinceofIce

Resources:
    Resources:
    So either we can find an extremely complicated way to import the crappy Wc3 models into Sc2 or we can just remake the Wc3 models for Sc2 which will be a lot better looking.

14. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm sure there will be a way to convert wc3 models into sc2 format. Really, it's impossible that SC2 models be made in such a different way to withdraw that possibility.

15. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's true, as long as you can get the WC3 model into an editable format, then you would probably have to rerig it and reskin it then change it to SC2 format, but you'd be better off to just make new models as WC3 models will look so out of place in SC2's new engine.

16. Zhall

Zhall

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Your dreaming.. I already heard that the GUI altering experience will be just a much bs as it is in wc3, plug-in's hah!

The next thing they'll do is put lan back in?

17. Bane

Bane

Resources:
    Resources:
    what do u meen im dreaming, the models in SC2 all have normal maps, look at them.
    Milkshape in no meens will be able to rig or create a model that will fit into SC2.

18. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    ignore him let him spend 25$ for a tool noone will use in the future

19. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    ugh so Gmax or 3ds max, which is better? I confuse these 2 cause I used Milkshape so far and im unaware of both.

Anyway since long ago I keep high-poly versions of some models I make and always preferred the quality over size so if in SC2 the style has to be perfect spheres without fringes and no triangle hands and arms, then that's my game :)

20. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Gmax --> free modified version of 3ds max for gamers.

3ds Max --> One of the best modelling tools out there (in my own opinion the best, yeah before someone asks, better than Maya).

Sc2 models aren't High poly (only portraits), the zealots for instance have 1300 polies. That's not that high, good modellers make low-poly models of about that size.

The biggest problem of Sc2 Models is their animation system, Rag-dolling and Effects. You'll need a professional toolset like 3dsmax or maya to make full models for Sc2.