• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Importing WC3 Models into SC2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Will we be able to import any warcraft 3 models into the Starcraft 2 editor and play them on the game? I mean wouldn't it be cool to be playing and suddenly see Orcs with flamethrowers and machine guns? Well, either way, somebody will probly make better models of space orcs for SC2. I'm just curious.

Level 12
IMHO it will be possible, I doubt they will be mdx also, but some clever people will find a way to import them.

Of course sites like this one will have to prohibite models from wc3 to scII, cos they unlogically prohibited wow models in wc3.

But even SCI had totaly different "art" than wow or wc3, it was more "serious_looking", wc3 and wow are more fairy looking.

Bret_Wood answered this question in a batch. He said that SC2's model format is way too different for converting warcraft 3 models.

As it looks like, I imagine Wc3 models will need to be rag dolled in order for them to fit SC2's Physics engine. There are many problems also concerning modelñ skinning (the act of linking geometry to bones) and how it will apply. We also don't know about the FK support and which animation controllers are supported by SC2.

Another issue is the MDL Objects, in other words, the model components, like particles and ribbon emitters. We don't know about SC2 particle systems, lights, etc. I'm pretty sure Sc2 may be using a Particle flow based system, so converting wc3 particles will be a pain in the arse.

Among other issues are Texture format and Unwrapping, which unwrapping system would Sc2 use or how to make texture conversion.

The best is to wait for the Beta, once the Beta be released, we can reverse engineer the model format and find out how it works. There's a big possibility that SC2's model format be a new version of the mdx format, just like WoW's md2.

Level 9
If you have the raw file (.3ds, .obj) etc. then use, you can convert it to whatever format SC2 will be.
It has been comfirmed that the models WILL NOT be mdx file formats.
Plus wc3 models will look like shit in SC2 because all SC2 models have normals, spec, diffuses etc. And WC3 models have nothing and horribly low poly. GL,
-Bane

Level 22
If models from Milkshape or 3ds can be exported to sc2 models, it's all good. You may have to redo particles or animations, big deal, the shape and the texture matters in the 1st place. that's how I see moving some futuristic models I have into sc2, and ofc the team color has to be remade.

Level 9
Yeah milkshape has no future for sc2, especially because a low poly model (made in milkshape) will look rediculous in sc2, and it has no good normal generator, or any nextgen functions whatsoever. Hopefully blizzard will release an art tools plugin for max 9 and 2009 so i can finally model..

Level 7
So either we can find an extremely complicated way to import the crappy Wc3 models into Sc2 or we can just remake the Wc3 models for Sc2 which will be a lot better looking.

Level 9
I'm sure there will be a way to convert wc3 models into sc2 format. Really, it's impossible that SC2 models be made in such a different way to withdraw that possibility.

That's true, as long as you can get the WC3 model into an editable format, then you would probably have to rerig it and reskin it then change it to SC2 format, but you'd be better off to just make new models as WC3 models will look so out of place in SC2's new engine.

Level 9
Yeah milkshape has no future for sc2, especially because a low poly model (made in milkshape) will look rediculous in sc2, and it has no good normal generator, or any nextgen functions whatsoever. Hopefully blizzard will release an art tools plugin for max 9 and 2009 so i can finally model..

Your dreaming.. I already heard that the GUI altering experience will be just a much bs as it is in wc3, plug-in's hah!

The next thing they'll do is put lan back in?

Level 9
what do u meen im dreaming, the models in SC2 all have normal maps, look at them.
Milkshape in no meens will be able to rig or create a model that will fit into SC2.

Level 22
Milkshape not even supports IK and you expect it to support Sc2's format?! lol!

Milkshape is doomed, so those milkshape fanboys better start learning max unless you don't want to model for sc2.

ugh so Gmax or 3ds max, which is better? I confuse these 2 cause I used Milkshape so far and im unaware of both.

Anyway since long ago I keep high-poly versions of some models I make and always preferred the quality over size so if in SC2 the style has to be perfect spheres without fringes and no triangle hands and arms, then that's my game :)

ugh so Gmax or 3ds max, which is better? I confuse these 2 cause I used Milkshape so far and im unaware of both.

Anyway since long ago I keep high-poly versions of some models I make and always preferred the quality over size so if in SC2 the style has to be perfect spheres without fringes and no triangle hands and arms, then that's my game :)

Gmax --> free modified version of 3ds max for gamers.

3ds Max --> One of the best modelling tools out there (in my own opinion the best, yeah before someone asks, better than Maya).

Sc2 models aren't High poly (only portraits), the zealots for instance have 1300 polies. That's not that high, good modellers make low-poly models of about that size.

The biggest problem of Sc2 Models is their animation system, Rag-dolling and Effects. You'll need a professional toolset like 3dsmax or maya to make full models for Sc2.

Level 15

3ds Max --> One of the best modelling tools out there (in my own opinion the best, yeah before someone asks, better than Maya).

Sc2 models aren't High poly (only portraits), the zealots for instance have 1300 polies. That's not that high, good modellers make low-poly models of about that size.

The biggest problem of Sc2 Models is their animation system, Rag-dolling and Effects. You'll need a professional toolset like 3dsmax or maya to make full models for Sc2.

About your maya comment, it really depends on what you plan on doing. I do most of my game content modeling in 3ds max, but when i want to render really nice scenes, i use Maya.

Sc2 models also utilize bump maps/parallax mapping, etc that make them appear to have a higher poly count, while in reality they're down around the 1k poly count range.

About your maya comment, it really depends on what you plan on doing. I do most of my game content modeling in 3ds max, but when i want to render really nice scenes, i use Maya.

Sc2 models also utilize bump maps/parallax mapping, etc that make them appear to have a higher poly count, while in reality they're down around the 1k poly count range.

I think only portraits use normal mapping. Making in-game units use them would be too much, there's no renderer fast enough that can render 1000 units and apply normal maps to all of them. However, parallax maps are possible. I would like to correct you on something: parallax maps don't increase the model's polygons, they just modify the way how the model's texture is rendered, it's just a process on the rendering, not on the model itself, unlike normal maps which does try to modify a model's geometry at rendering.

about Maya rendering, it's network rendering lacks a bit compared to 3dsmax's. However, Maya tends to render some things faster than 3ds max like fluids and multiple objects like grass.

Level 22

So if I want a free modeling software that does just as much work as 3ds and I can do stuff for sc2 and is not something for uber pro modelers, I should go wit gmax ?

Level 15
I would like to correct you on something: parallax maps don't increase the model's polygons, they just modify the way how the model's texture is rendered, it's just a process on the rendering, not on the model itself, unlike normal maps which does try to modify a model's geometry at rendering.

I never said Parallax maps did, i said they give the APPEARANCE of a higher polygon count, as compared to normal maps. I'm a game programmer, i'll be damned if i don't know how a Parallax map works compared to a normal map. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.