1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by redmarine, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattman111

mattman111

Resources:
    Resources:
    Does anyone know if the minimap updates when the water rises? Cause it seems like they should have that by now.

2. memnoc

memnoc

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems to me like Blizzard should just make a program designed to make custom games, and have presets for genres, including all the models and etc to come packed with it.
    Then maybe have a BNet similar system set up for playing other's custom games on top of it (making multiplayer easier to accomplish within the custom games).

This way the editor is more geared toward customization, (little more epic perhaps?) and the loads times may not have to be as severe (as everyone has already preloaded the game instead of having to constantly reload the map).

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Load times should be drastically more efficent in SC2 due to multi core processing and other methods allowing for data to be constantly loaded from harddrive and for the map to load in more than one way at once.

4. memnoc

memnoc

Resources:
    Resources:
    Even so, people will still try and reach the limit without it being too much. So as to get as much content into their maps as possible. Similar to how people optimize for WC3, the only difference now is the bar is raised and more lenient. However, because of it, people will begin making their maps bigger and bigger.

Regardless, my point still stands, they should just make a game-making/editing program. They'd still be able to attract more customers via a different crowd instead of the few that still play WC3 and realize it's modding potential (and then see the immense increase in potential through SC2). Besides, the majority of people that are interested in WC3 are mostly in it for the DotA (and whatever new DotA that may arise within SC2 -- if at all).

It'd still be more efficient (and like I said, they'd attract a different crowd not just RTS fans who just happen to like the potential of the editor and can use it effectively) as described than loading the custom maps.

5. Gamecrafter_DK

Gamecrafter_DK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I want it naow!!!

6. Cyber_Rebirth

Cyber_Rebirth

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So... is there any word on whether or not the Hero system is available for use in the editor?

7. Doctor-Pepper

Doctor-Pepper

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, singleplayer and custom maps will support heroes just like in wc3. Confirmed by blizzard FAQ batches

8. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    WOW!
    this is awesome, i can't wait this going to be uber. Well all we have to do now is wait.

9. CHA_Owner

CHA_Owner

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This has got to best the most awesome editor ever i mean the capabilities including tracking mouse movements this means over 10k if not more new games can be created in this than WC3.

I have to admit once SC2 comes out WC3 will be obsolete to me and i will start work on many new maps for the SC2 editor :grin:

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    What I would like to see see is the tight mouse movement system be used for many hero defense maps. Imagine S3 marine corp defense but with FPS view and more ammo.

11. CHA_Owner

CHA_Owner

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm guessing since it can pick up mouse movements that it will also be able to detect which keyboard keys are pressed at what times which means you could design a whole UI using nothing but hotkeys which would make gameplay of a map so much faster :grin:

12. Craka_J

Craka_J

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm definitely looking forward to playing around in the Galaxy editor!

13. BanananaHead

BanananaHead

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh mah gawd. I am DEFINATELY getting Starcraft II! Blizzard has really outdone themselves this time and I just cannot wait for Starcraft II! And people thought "Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2" was good.
    PE-SHAW!

14. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What I would like to know is if they will still impliment BJ functions (the ones that appear red in JassNewGen) and if they will make it so "region/rect" are ridiculously still two different things.

edit: also, if they will impliment new calculations so that we don't have to fully-code things like exponentials and cosines...

15. Koeky

Koeky

Resources:
    Resources:
    That is epic!! I want it :p

16. Asgard_Ragna

Asgard_Ragna

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Ohh my god I smell many Mass Effect maps :D

This looks truly aweseome.

17. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I will pee my pants, this is too awesome!

18. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm amazed that Bllizard made everything I have ever fished for in a map editor!.. its not even a map editor anymore, its like a whole new game making programm!
    Only that I still have few questions:
    -Will you be able to understand everything easilly if you already had experience with WC3 WE? Are all the terraining/ editing units/abilities/ trrigering systems as simply understandable as WC3 We ones?
    -I've seen that you can terramorph the ground and know that water level can be rised. Will these abilities will be able to be combined?! Will you able to terramorph a terrain to make some kinda like a water barrier to protect from rising water level?
    -Will you be able to make a simple triger that allows you to kill units with falling rocks or whatever crushing them? You know, A tank comes near to a montain => mountain explodes, a boulder flies towards the tank => You've got a tank pancake, sir!

19. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Damn, sorry tleno, but this won't answer your question!: PANCAKES!
    :D Hope that it will be able! Wait and you will see, if u will know everything earlier, it won't be so a big surprise, leave your questions for now :D and wait for the explosion

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    May I remind people the editor is not in the beta... yet...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.