• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Look At Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
As soon as the patch downloaded, I as quickly as I could went to the Galaxy Editor. The first palette that shows is the new terrain editor, so I'll start with that.

TERRAIN EDITOR

The first thing I noticed is that, as to my knowledge, there are unlimited tilesets for a single map. I could acess all tilesets when experimenting. All icons are the same for the previously used tools in the WC3 editor, so terrainers should be able to pick up and start terraining with at least medium-quality skills. Terrain is nicely shaded already.

Terrainers will notice a few new tools in their placement. Along with the original Square and Circle placement tools, a diamond placement tool is now available as well. Two fields are also available for further tweaking, the variablity tool (controls the intensity of your editing) and the resolution tool:

StarcraftTerrain.jpg

After that I decided to take a look at the water. Unlike in the World Editor, water is not as easily to pick up and control. Water is placed in weird ugly looking squares, and will require some terrain editing to create plausable rivers. On the plus side, a terrainer can plan out a pond/river/lakes shape before getting into the heavy doodading and terraining. The auto-doodad feature adds lillypads to start, which look a bit cheesy.

Water.jpg

And then game the brand new tab, the road tab. Roads are created by clicking "anchor points" that are then connected smoothly together by some pretty nice textures. The curves of the road are very easy to manipulate. However, intersections look weird, as they do not overlay correctly.

RoadTool.jpg

***TRIGGER EDITOR***

I was afraid at first of the new badly colored icons that crossed the screen above my page, so many that it went out of range of my monitor; However, they can be easily deciphered by an adequetly-versed WCIII map editor. GUI Triggers are run the same way as in WCIII, with an Event, Condition and Actions. They use the same icons as they did in World Editor. However, a new section for local variables for that trigger is now added, and with that, global variables as well (I'm not going to explain what local/global are, mostly everyone knows it)

FirstTriggerEditor.jpg

Blizzard has made the Trigger editor a bit more easier to navigate, as the trigger sections are right in front of you instead of having to select the section from the drop down. Most of the sections are the same, but the new Actor triggers are sure to please any cinematic create. The Actor tab allows you to control each of your little Unit Actor's while running an in-game cinematic.

TriggerEditorCleaned.jpg

Blizzard really wanted to improve the editor for basic GUI users, that they may have made it harder for them to figure it out. The Editor allows GUI users action/condition/event declarations, as well as functions. Global variables are now seen as their own element, along with the brand new Presets and Records.

NewEditorFeatures.jpg

***DATA EDITOR (Brief Glimpse)***

And here I go into the godly data editor. Though some features are disabled, it's still pretty understandable.

First things first, you select your Unit/Actor/Doodad from a list. Every item has its own little section, where you can see all of the abilities associated with it, and its data fields to the right.

LookatDataEditor.jpg

I wanted to create a Hero Carrier as my first unit. The first thing I noticed is that you just have to click on the section to edit it, and loading times are shorter. Unlike in World Editor where you would have to flip to the abilities tab to edit a units ability, you can just click the ability right from the units section, edit the data you need to, and flip right back to the unit.

I also noticed that you had the ability to change some things that you would have to have gone into the advanced variables to change in the World Editor. Icons for the attack/patrol/movement are now easily editable in the units tab. You can also easily change what text message you want to display on target. So instead of display "Select a Target" with Photon Missiles; I could change it to "Lock on Torpedos" or "Deliver your Ass-Kicking."

CarrierHero.jpg

Last thing big I noticed that I would like to mention (in just this short overview of the Data Editor) is speed. Speed is no longer simply calculated by a single integer value. Users now calculate Normal and Lateral Acceleration, as well as some other key movement fields.

Speed.jpg

***Coming up Next: Miscellaneous Powers of the Editor***
~Asomath

Last edited:
Level 14
***Updated: Data Editor Uploaded***

@Purplepoot, thanks for that link, its going to come in handy.

@QueloR, My overall impression is this: That this editor has incomprehensible powers for the field of modding. The custom maps from some good teams will be better than most high-quality games that have been released, only below the biggest titles.

This editor is an exponential increase from the World Editor.

~Asomath

Level 5
This humble peon... WANTZDAAAAAT!!!
Btw, you're giving me hopes of being able to control this editor easier than the World Editor. Are these hopes reasonable?

Last edited:
Level 9
It takes time to get used to for sure: adding an ability to a unit requires you to add it to the command card, not the ability list.

How totally obvious, Blizzard.

Level 5
This humble peon... WANTZDAAAAAT!!!
Btw, you're giving me hopes of being able to control this editor easier than the World Editor. Are these hopes reasonable?

I first started messing with World Editor a year ago. If you had problems with the World Editor, you are going to be completely lost in Galaxy Editor. Galaxy Editor is far more powerful and far more overwhelming than World Editor was when I began.

People who don't have experience with World Editor are going to be very lost when it comes to Galaxy Editor.

But don't let this depress you. Tons of BS that the World Editor did have is now out. I'd approach Galaxy Editor from a 'What You Need To Know Basis' on whatever map you are making. Right now, I am just messing with the triggers to get units spawning and moving them around. I'm not even going to touch that unit editor for a while.

It is probably better to describe Galaxy Editor as many full blown editors linked together. The Terrain Editor, the Trigger Editor, the Unit Editor, and so on and so forth. I'm not good at learning this type of stuff, but if you zero in on one of the editors at a time and just focus on mastering that, you'll get there. It is very frustrating at first so you need lots of patience.

We're all modding noobs now.

Level 6
How is the speed when testing maps and so on (Loading)?

"
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.
"

Is it in the current realease? if so, info please.

Level 5
I first started messing with World Editor a year ago. If you had problems with the World Editor, you are going to be completely lost in Galaxy Editor. Galaxy Editor is far more powerful and far more overwhelming than World Editor was when I began.

People who don't have experience with World Editor are going to be very lost when it comes to Galaxy Editor.

But don't let this depress you. Tons of BS that the World Editor did have is now out. I'd approach Galaxy Editor from a 'What You Need To Know Basis' on whatever map you are making. Right now, I am just messing with the triggers to get units spawning and moving them around. I'm not even going to touch that unit editor for a while.

It is probably better to describe Galaxy Editor as many full blown editors linked together. The Terrain Editor, the Trigger Editor, the Unit Editor, and so on and so forth. I'm not good at learning this type of stuff, but if you zero in on one of the editors at a time and just focus on mastering that, you'll get there. It is very frustrating at first so you need lots of patience.

We're all modding noobs now.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. ^^

Level 14
I think it looks alot like the wc3 we which is a good thing, it sure will take a long time to learn all the function names etc. Also there's no custom code right now :(.

The data editor looks pretty advanced and also looks like the one that has had most change.

Level 1
Does the map editor come together with patch 9 in the beta? Because I got patch 10 and I realy can't find the editor anywhere on my computer :/

Not only do waits suck in SC2, but now also timers suck.

For two reasons:
1) The minimum interval of timers is 16 fps. ... however, you can workaround this by creating a second timer. Jesus4Lyf made a new T32 for that purpose.

2) You are allowed to attach an integer to them, but ... you can not typecast structs to integers, so this is pretty useless, as you currently can not write an indexing system for structs.
Struct arrays are type-safe. Blizzard's structs fail totally.

No more simple struct attachment with timer systems until that is fixed ... -_-'

Status
Not open for further replies.