• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Editor Is Terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm having all kinds of issues with my editor, and I decided to make this post because I want to know what kind of issues you guys are having too.
Let me just make a little list here of all the problems I'm having:

- Duplication issues (broken links, duplcated units not linking to proper duplicated links, random freezing)
- Data creation issues (nowhere to set new links, change old links, etc)
- Compatibility issues (registering .mp3s, but not being able to upload if you have any)
- Performance issues (doing things too quickly causes my editor to wig out, causing UI to break down, showing raw text instead of proper buttons, buttons not working, etc etc)
- Uploading issues (I have a fast internet with 0.98 MBPs upload speed, but I still manage hit the 2 minute time out mark with a 2 MB map and get the GATEWAY_DOWN error)
- Downloading issues (re-downloaded maps are missing some information, even if set to unlocked)
- Reliability issues (not properly backing up maps even though settings are telling it to)

The list goes on and on.
Blizzard needs to get ontop of their shit here.
Other than the garbage collector and new terrain tools, WC3 editor pwns the Galaxy Editor like too hard to even fathom.
What problems are you having?
I'd like to know if I can avoid any of them in the future.

Level 22
It isn't that scary, just at first when you don't know it takes time to find some things but once you find them SC2 Editor doesn't seem that absurd.

- http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ents-changing-textures-id-data-editor-198550/ might help you with some.
- MP3s work fine for me.
- Editor could crash if you don't allow your PC to load the commands you firstly started, would happen with system.

It's definitely not a pleasure to work with it but it's fine. When you duplicate units and leave some things the same by not duplicating death models, sounds, movers, validators and basically in most cases all you have to duplicate is Unit and the main Actor.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
- Duplication issues (broken links, duplcated units not linking to proper duplicated links, random freezing)
Duplication works perfectly.

The only problems with it are...
1. The depths search for links means critical actors can be ignored (not shown) so you forget to duplicate them.
2. Default value field links (based on the ID string of the hosting data) are not detected as links so get broken due to the new ID string the duplication generates.
These are flaws with the actual duplication concept in database systems due to linking complexity. People need to understand that YOU are responsible for linking everything correcty, not the editor.

All links can be ammended at will in the data editor. All links can be removed if you so wish and any links can be created within the logical capabilities of the database system.

There is a bug where the link overview does state ghost links (shows a link which no longer applies, restarting fixes this) or fail to state links that are obscure (an obscure actor event for example),

I agree though that a link overview would be a cool feature where one could drag and drop relationships at will. However for such a feature to be done well would be more complex to code than the whole edtior currently was. Examples of what it could support are abstract packages and macros which do not manifest in the actual game itself but allow you to specify bunches of links automatically in the edtior which are generated when saving. One could make all terran buildings inherit from a terran buildable abstract section which could automatically add them to a build list, give them a button and attach them to the terran construction actors. Very complex but could make editing easier.

- Compatibility issues (registering .mp3s, but not being able to upload if you have any)
Sounds like DRM to me. Make sure your .mp3 files are self encoded from non-copyrighted music or sounds. Blizzard really does mean their ToU pollicy so copyrighted material is not allowed anyway.

- Performance issues (doing things too quickly causes my editor to wig out, causing UI to break down, showing raw text instead of proper buttons, buttons not working, etc etc)
This is not a real-time program. Performance is not too important. Only problem with performance I have is the damn script editor. It takes 2 minutes on an I7 to paste in 4 medium long functions which is too long for something that simple.

- Downloading issues (re-downloaded maps are missing some information, even if set to unlocked)
What information?

- Reliability issues (not properly backing up maps even though settings are telling it to)
This is where the problem with the editor is. Everything from changing the wrong map when multiple are open to ghost links to non existant tools being mentioned in error messages.

Level 14
So I'm having all kinds of issues with my editor, and I decided to make this post because I want to know what kind of issues you guys are having too.
Let me just make a little list here of all the problems I'm having:

- Uploading issues (I have a fast internet with 0.98 MBPs upload speed, but I still manage hit the 2 minute time out mark with a 2 MB map and get the GATEWAY_DOWN error)

The list goes on and on.
Blizzard needs to get ontop of their shit here.
Other than the garbage collector and new terrain tools, WC3 editor pwns the Galaxy Editor like too hard to even fathom.
What problems are you having?
I'd like to know if I can avoid any of them in the future.

It's been a year since starcraft 2 came out,when Wc3's first year in the editor it had lots of bugs too,so expect better in the further years of game development

Status
Not open for further replies.