• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
For more info on the Editor on 2nd day of BlizzCon simply SCROLL DOWN!

Notice that this thread hasn't been updated since BlizzCon.

First Day of BlizzCon. Exclusive Look behind the scenes and a sneak peek at how the editor looks like.

Second Day of BlizzCon. A lot more info on the editor.

The SC2 gameplay panel gave more info on the editor:

- New water tools. No longer tied to cliff level. Can be animated, like raising/lowering.
- Lighting editor - Used to create the dark red glowing effect on the lava planet when lava rises.
- Multiple cliff types can be connected together.
- Alpha texture blending. No more tiles, you can paint multiple textures then blend them together.
- Roads - Paint roads by click-n-dragging.
- Terrain foliage - Doodads are created automatically on top of certain textures, like grass and bushes on grass textures.
- Physics mainly used visually, but can be used for damage/blocking stuff in mods.
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.
- No included model editor, you still need 3DStudio or similar.
- Map protection and other features to prevent map stealing etc...
- Customizable UI, you can add buttons, dialogs, images as desired.
- Banks - Can save data in maps which is stored locally on your system (can be used for savegames, so you simply load your progress the next time the map is played). In multiplayer you can retrieve the bank from any player (through triggers).
- Editor available in beta (probably not from day 1)
- Easy to make interesting mods using the data editor, mod examples:

<< Uberlisk >>
- Ultralisk with multiple spinecrawlers attached on his back
- Enemy towers shooting banelings
- Uberlisk has shockwave attack, uses physics to make surrounding zerglings fly away in spherical direction.

<< 3rd person shooter >>
- Used Nova model (Starcraft Ghost)
- Move/attack using keyboard, look around using mouse
- RPG features using dialogs (talk to people)
- Notice the 3d map in the bottom right corner

Second Day.

1102_normal.png

1105_normal.png

1109_normal.png

1115_normal.png

1113_normal.png

Last edited:
Level 7
<3

I love how those pictures show just how incredibly diverse the gameplay can become with Galaxy..

Level 7
HELL. YES.

Everybody was cheering when he was talking about the mouse aiming capabilities. This just made all the fps mappers so happy. I expect unbelievable maps and mods in the future. This is gonna rock!

(Thanks for posting them redmarine!)

Level 13
holy fuck im so happy because i heard the words custom unit in the video YAY and its a 3rd person shooter part its not like were you have 1 unit and its still strategy but its 3rd person its my 2 fav themes in 1 yay.

Level 19
Changed the OP and added more detailed info on the editor in second day of BlizzCon.

The SC2 gameplay panel gave more info on the editor:

- New water tools. No longer tied to cliff level. Can be animated, like raising/lowering.
- Lighting editor - Used to create the dark red glowing effect on the lava planet when lava rises.
- Multiple cliff types can be connected together.
- Alpha texture blending. No more tiles, you can paint multiple textures then blend them together.
- Roads - Paint roads by click-n-dragging.
- Terrain foliage - Doodads are created automatically on top of certain textures, like grass and bushes on grass textures.
- Physics mainly used visually, but can be used for damage/blocking stuff in mods.
- Libraries. Makes it so multiple people can work on the same map at the same time.
- No included model editor, you still need 3DStudio or similar.
- Map protection and other features to prevent map stealing etc...
- Customizable UI, you can add buttons, dialogs, images as desired.
- Banks - Can save data in maps which is stored locally on your system (can be used for savegames, so you simply load your progress the next time the map is played). In multiplayer you can retrieve the bank from any player (through triggers).
- Editor available in beta (probably not from day 1)
- Easy to make interesting mods using the data editor, mod examples:

<< Uberlisk >>
- Ultralisk with multiple spinecrawlers attached on his back
- Enemy towers shooting banelings
- Uberlisk has shockwave attack, uses physics to make surrounding zerglings fly away in spherical direction.

<< 3rd person shooter >>
- Used Nova model (Starcraft Ghost)
- Move/attack using keyboard, look around using mouse
- RPG features using dialogs (talk to people)
- Notice the 3d map in the bottom right corner

Level 4
the 3rd person was fucking amazing!!

They need to allow tooltips to be changed in game and this shit will be perfect.

Level 3
Oh. My. God.

I am seriously thinking of changing all my projects to SC2 now.. as in. Now I'm really hyped up for SC2.

...it's a good thing they released news of the game being released a lot earlier a few weeks ago otherwise I would have raged soo hard..

Level 22
Oh. My. God.

I am seriously thinking of changing all my projects to SC2 now.. as in. Now I'm really hyped up for SC2.

...it's a good thing they released news of the game being released a lot earlier a few weeks ago otherwise I would have raged soo hard..

Which is why I abandoned my futuristic map and said - why do I need to import "100" models for units, doodads and interface when I can do it much better on SC2? I could just move those buildings to SC2 and the rest wil be all SC2 stuff, barely even custom models.

Level 12
Yes very good and no... You don't need Object Oriented Programming in galaxy because technically speaking you need OOP to create the ubralisk, the 3rd person shooter game, and top down action maps, or epic scale RPG - 3rd person shooter game...

You even need OOP to clean your dishes, wash your pants, and brush your teeth!

Flame_Pheonix said:
After seeing the new ways of galaxy language on the site I am disappointed:
1 - I expected it to have at least a better damage detection engine
2 - I expected it to be more OOP allowing the use of structs (maybe it is an addiction from vJass xD)

LOLS!

Level 6
seems like blizzard saw the kind of maps warcraft III had like TDs RPG with following camera, Hero Defense, etc to develop systems incorporated in the game seems like it was made to the specific kind of map you're playing... like did you saw that Third person shooter that in warcraft would be called "RPG map"? OMG! IT'S SO AMAZING!

I can't wait for it to be released...

Love you blizzard.

As warcraft III was and stills be the best RTS since 2003 SC2 will be the best RTS from 2010 to... 2100 :) Way to explore on the editor I see...

Level 12
seems like blizzard saw the kind of maps warcraft III had like TDs RPG with following camera, Hero Defense, etc to develop systems incorporated in the game seems like it was made to the specific kind of map you're playing... like did you saw that Third person shooter that in warcraft would be called "RPG map"? OMG! IT'S SO AMAZING!

I can't wait for it to be released...

Love you blizzard.

As warcraft III was and stills be the best RTS since 2003 SC2 will be the best RTS from 2010 to... 2100 :) Way to explore on the editor I see...

Lol it will be another epic game from Blizzard. The maps you see in the video was a quick edit and notice how a quick edited custom map can turn into a really nice game!

If I were you I would start by exploring the Data editor, it is really powerful and will replace alot of our efforts in trying to create custom spells using scripts.

What I'm really intersted in is that you can customize the User Interface; yeah2 you can do that in wc3 too but in Sc2 you can structurally customize the UI. However, this has to be done using the galaxy language and not GUI. See the 3rd person shooter for example and notice how the interface is different.

Level 12
Yep I noticed that. Oh god... This is gonna be epic. EPIC! EPIC I SAY, EPIC!!!

the Galaxy language will have a UI to help users developing the map or it'll be like jass, vb.net, c++, etc?

The GUI is already powerful. Yes there will be UI for that, there will even be syntax highlighter and a jargon of native function lists in the custom script editor.

Level 6
Good, that will make things easier.

The most interesting is that WoW: Cataclysm (New WoW Expansion with playable Goblins and Worgens) and Starcraft II (With a great editor) are gonna be released almost at the same time, or blizzard will have double popularity or the popularity of Starcraft II or WoW: Cataclysm will be divided for WoW and Starcraft.

I mean you can't play both games at same time, means that you'll have to divide your time to play both in different hours.

Slightly Strange.

Good, that will make things easier.

The most interesting is that WoW: Cataclysm (New WoW Expansion with playable Goblins and Worgens) and Starcraft II (With a great editor) are gonna be released almost at the same time, or blizzard will have double popularity or the popularity of Starcraft II or WoW: Cataclysm will be divided for WoW and Starcraft.

I mean you can't play both games at same time, means that you'll have to divide your time to play both in different hours.

Slightly Strange.

damm, I gotta get some Blizzard Stocks now.

oh, also, you can edit maps as a team. In other words, 2 or more people can be working at the same map during the same time.

Level 13
i wonder what will happen to da hive when this comes out will every1 switch to starcraft 2 or stay modding on wc3 or will the hive combine into a wc3 starcraft 2 site.

ANYWHO i can't to either terrain or make a cinematic if its possible in sc2.

Level 11
I'm only curious about size limit of data and deeper things like. that galaxy language, or model size, poly count, exporting tool. Importing manager* .

Seems like there is almost unlimited things you can make here, but how is all of this limited by size of materials.

Level 7
Anybody else think they'll screw around a lot modding units and stuff? Cause I could easily spend 50+ hours screwing around making a hydra shoot zerglings which when they reach their target they land on the ground and start attacking.

Seriously that would be sweet.

Level 6
I'd love to play with the editor now, even if I couldn't test map lol.

Looks so sexy, I <3.

Of course we all know the first map to be released will be zergling tag.

Has blizzard stated much on the use of imported models? Are there any features in the editor that aid in that? Like changing animation tags or doing animation transfers, or anything of that nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.