• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to Starcraft II Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi there I was wondering if anyone can help me with the SCII editor. Some tips maybe. Like how to add WCIII models, items, icons etc. in the SCII editor. I'm having a harsh time with the SCII editor, because it doesn't seem simpler like the World Editor. When you just clicked on units or abilities and quickly started modifying. In SCII editor it doesn't see so easy. I following guides on YT on how to create units, heroes with attributes and other stuff. But I'm mostly concerned about how to add WCIII stuff in SCII. I've read some comments that you have to use WoW models. Are those the models on the Hive?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Like how to add WCIII models
You need a third party converter or to re-touch them yourself using the art tools.

Items are units with an attached item entry. A unit can use these units by having a container made of item containers. Obviously items fit in certain item containers.

icons etc
They are just button data entries. Import any image that is a dds and it will work for the button image link.

Are those the models on the Hive?
Some in the SC2 section are. WC3 models are not directly compatibly with SC2 due to engine and format differences. Geniuses like GhostWolf and co have theorized the potential of an automated model porter from WC3 to SC2 which will work on most models (not all as WC3 supports some model structures/structure values not allowed in SC2) but I have no idea about its development progress.

In any case WC3 models will look totally out of place and kind of rubbish due to their low polygon and limited texture information. They also lack physics and things limiting what you can do with them and how they will interact with the world.

WoW models are preferred as they are closer to the quality of SC2 models. They also contain more animations (which SC2 can use), some have more texture layers (which SC2 uses) and with the upcoming expansion it is likely some other SC2 style data will be added to some WoW models.

Status
Not open for further replies.