• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you hope SCII will bring to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
If SCII (StarCraft 2) has got the World Editor and is easy to mod like the other games (which we very much believe), Hiveworkshop is gonna support it with download sections and forums.
But I want to ask You, what You hope and believe SCII will bring you?

I hope it will be as easy to mod as wc3, and it will keep track of the cursor. So you can make your own FPS and stuff like that.

Level 12
To put it simply, an enchancement in every aspect over war3.

The main thing im particularly looking forward to is this new physics system.
If you've seen any of the trailers you'll notice units flying back from impacts etc. just like Dawn of War.

Level 3
In my opinion i'd like to have a similar and hopefully better hero system, along with some kind of cinematic system like there is in WC3 right now, better I hope also.

And finnaly being able to make models just like we can atm (alltho i'm not a modeler)

Level 21
well if blizzard have learned anything from wc3 and oringal sc it should be that people love to mod games, i dont see why they would make it any less possible, hopefully they will make skinning, modeling and modding in general easyier but without reducing the capalities of the system.

Level 24
i'd like to have a similar and hopefully better hero system

i'd like that too, but chances are almost nil that they'll do heroes the way they did WC3 heroes. maybe buffed up units, but i doubt heroes

Edit: i would also like them to have available 3d models of all SC units the way they looked in SC, except for obviously in 3d

Last edited:

Em!

Em!

Level 25
I hope you can import war3 crap and play war3 on sc2 :D.

It´was a joke, i probably won´t be fooling around sc2 altough i will play the camp and skirmish i won´t be around bnet and im not as big a fan of modding sc. Im more into bashing someone with a mace, i just can´t see myself creating new world within starcraft as starcraft doesn´t leave much room for anything else but starcraft world.

Level 5
Heroes.
Think how limiting the engine would be without an item/xp system. 95% of the mods of WC3 use em.

Level 3
Heroes.
Think how limiting the engine would be without an item/xp system. 95% of the mods of WC3 use em.

There won't be heroes similar to wc3 ones.. according to what i've seen (check what I posted on my thread if you don't beleive me :wink: )

Alltho if we can make custom models it won't be such a probelm I'd say :) I'm sure they'll probably introduce some minimal 'Hero Stats' at least to differ Raynor/Kerrigan from normal units :/

Level 13
For me, Its a sexy little editor that allows single player modding. Thats what i want, Otherwise: StarCraft:2 has everything i wanted (New Units New Graphics New story).

Level 6
For me, Its a sexy little editor that allows single player modding. Thats what i want, Otherwise: StarCraft:2 has everything i wanted (New Units New Graphics New story).

And a beautiful physics engine.. Just watch those massive amounts of Zerglings swarm the Terran base as one big unit, like fish.. Giving zerging a whole new image.

I think SC2 should have a Hero system similar to the Wc3 one, perhaps a better Inventory system, imagine them having a common RPG Inventory UI.

Imagine all the maps/Mods that could be made, heh.. *Drool*

And, yeah, obviously another user-friendly Editor.

Level 36
/Agreed. That would be very fun. Also, if you had attachable weapon models. It'd be tough work making weapons that were compatible with the animations of all (or some) of the ingame units, but I think it'd just be uber cool if, when, you picked up a sword, your hero, unit, whatever, then held a sword model in whatever hand.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I hope. . .
They remove GUI completly and go straight to jass by suppling a list of functions and what they do on your right and underneath (like jass shop pro) and an easy to plug in and real time syntax checker.

They remove ALL heroes completly, but impliment functions to make heroes using triggers.

They finally allow the setting of ALL stats for eithor 1 unit or the entire unit type, WC3 lacked an efficent way to do this BADLY.

They allow units to go under bridges while being ontop.

The space background can be easily changed.

The game can be semi maxed with a P4 with nvidia 7800GS card (dought).

They give better save and load support via allowing the storage and reading of strings onto hard disk to stop annoying ScreenShot codes.

And much more. . .

Level 24
i'd at least like for there to be a non-user-triggered hero system in place, even if campaign/ladder don't use it. and i doubt that no heroes will limit spells, take a look at all the caster units/different spells in WC3. if they can do that, they can definitely do loads in SCII.

btw, the way Dr Super Good said they should implement JASS sounds easy enough, and it will definitely eliminate the lame, half-assed "HAY GUYZ NEW <insert map type> MAP ITS TOTALLY 1337 I SWEAR" maps, because JASS requires being able to type properly (i think? i have no idea honestly, never even looked @ JASS)

Level 5
Really hope it will be full of posibilites and user friendly..
Dont think heroes would fit in to the Starcraft universe (Or at least not the heroes we are used to from Warcraft 3), but some sort of special units should be implented..
Im looking forward to it ;)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What I meant is that they fuse jass with GUI but instead make it that the basics of GUI is jass, you move jass actions around and have the ability to make new functions and suh easily. Ofcourse you can manually text edit call and stuff but what I am saying is it should be that they make an enhanced jass editor for more nooby players to use to great potential, including leak detector and lag warnings ("WARNING, a lot of calls are at once and may lag older systems, concider changing it or writing it more efficently")

They should have 2 flavors of jass.
JASS light whichis more like GUI which is easy to use and has a lot of aid but more complex run on map and variables are locked.
JASS pro which is where you can write the enitre map script your self for full efficency.

Level 24
so basically what most of the people here want is as much freedom with the editor as blizzard can possibly hope to offer?

Have it your way!

Attachments

• WAKEUPWITHTHEKING.jpg
    WAKEUPWITHTHEKING.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 175
Level 7
I'm quoting myself from replayers.com , I'm a gamer and still put a lot of importance on the map editor, I'll need it:

Lately, I like more hi-tech and futuristic games, strategies mostly. SC&BW have been a game I've played for at least 1-3 years but have never learnt the true gaming just silly massing and no thinking, I was too young too, and yet, with the great micro and other features of the skill that war3 inclides, I left the futuristic games SC&BW to learn the real gaming, the real skill and even now that I prefer hi-tech strats, I wouldn't leave war3 for SC&BW. In war3 I've played for years so that even if I'm inactive, the moves, the strats, the micro will be always piece of cake once you've learnt them.

Leaving war3 would be really hard thing for me and only SC2 with the following requirements is able to replace it (as I said doesn't matter that SC is hi-tech and war3 is fantasy- war3 made me enjoy playing with good players and this is indeed the most interesting game so far).

I expect:
- it offers as much micro¯o, moves, apm, timing, harassing, etc. as war3 or more, or even features other than these that dominate over war3
- units look pretty cool and not as small as in SC, war3 has a good camera, hell, what am I talking, is SC&BW a 3D RTS at all? When war3 was released it was said 3D RTS, well SC2'd better be like war3
- Let's include more terrains than SC&BW, more units, creeps and heroes like in war3 ofc!!!!
Thats actually one of the most important things, if it has heroes and creeping just like in war3!! yeah like a futuristic version in war3!!
- a world editor more advanced than the war3 one, with much more triggers, effects, import/export , custom models import.

Level 24
hmm. i absolutely do not @#$%ing want heroes in SCII ladder. have hero units in the campaign maybe, definitely the editor, but NOT in ladder. if they are there in ladder, they better not be as powerful comparatively as WC3 heroes, where you can level one properly and kill entire armies with it and two footmen.

Level 3
For Map Making: GUI ftw, I'd love to learn Jass but I'd rather use a GUI and have more time actually playing ^^.

On Heroes: They should definately have heroes in the game to some extent, perhaps campaign, not for multiplayer normal, but minimum to use in custom maps. If you look at most custom maps they are so very based on Heroes and removing them would deal a blow to user-made maps.

Finally, what somebody suggested about alloweding custom triggers to be imported would be awesome, sort of like bringing JASS to the GUI - That would be awesome for every mapper I imagine.

Level 24
On Heroes: They should definately have heroes in the game to some extent, perhaps campaign, not for multiplayer normal, but minimum to use in custom maps. If you look at most custom maps they are so very based on Heroes and removing them would deal a blow to user-made maps.
woo! somebody else that wants heroes available but not in ladder. like i said, 1 MK + 2 footies easily = 1 dead enemy ground army.

Level 6
Having heroes in ladder would make the game feel like a wc3 total conversion to starcraft.
Though the world editor should be able to create heroes, or have a system similier to it.

Level 13
i can think of 3 hero's right off the bat : Marine Captain, Hunter killer , Arch Templar.

The first 2 are combat heroes and the last is a spellcaster. When you think about it heroes in SC2 would not be hard. NOTE: while im sure heroes will at least be in the campaing i dont think inventory and items will make it... same with creeping. It just is not starcraft.

Level 24
i can think of 3 hero's right off the bat : Marine Captain, Hunter killer , Arch Templar.

The first 2 are combat heroes and the last is a spellcaster. When you think about it heroes in SC2 would not be hard. NOTE: while im sure heroes will at least be in the campaing i dont think inventory and items will make it... same with creeping. It just is not starcraft.

heroes in SC would be totally easy, just buff up normal units and add abils.
we can hope that inventory will make it, otherwise you may need drones to carry around your chrysalises. anyways creeping seems very un-starcraft, but it would be the easiest way for heroes to get exp. i hope they find a way to incorporate it.

Level 24
hmm. maybe separate ladder stats for with and without heroes? like old starcraft had normal melee stats and then ladder stats. that sounds fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.