• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

"SCII Editor to be MUCH more powerful then WCIII"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Sorry if anyone dislikes my opinion, but here it is.

I bet the SC2 World Editor will be extremely uber, having extreme power. But from what I've seen so far, Wc3's WE with it's type of gameplay is why it's so, powerful.
It's 2D functions with a Z plane is why this game has been made so powerful, having the abilities to much pretty much ANYTHING happen with the things that the World Editor is capable of is useful, with SC2, the terrain is going to be extremely hard to make, and a RPG in the game will be EXTREMELY difficult to make, if they stick to their 512 RAM minimum requirements.

WC3 has had the ability of the Great World Editor (with its bugs included) and its 'Not High Tech' graphics to be the best World Editor out there.

I've thought 'bout it alot, but as much as I hate to say it, I'll still play WC3 a lot more then SC2. WC3 feels right, but old at the same time. New games pop up every day, being "inspirationized" by other games.
I just think SC2 wont have the right factors and all to be as popular and have as many gameplays (RPs, ORPG, TDs, all that) as WC3 has the ability of.

Level 2
It's 2D functions with a Z plane is why this game has been made so powerful

What are you talking about? incase you hadn't noticed, SCII is kinda built on the same engine, and "2D functions with a 'Z plane'" makes it a 3D game. Why that makes WC3 "so powerful" (compared with other modern RTS games?) I dont know.

I bet the SC2 World Editor will be extremely uber, having extreme power. But from what I've seen so far, Wc3's WE with it's type of gameplay is why it's so, powerful.

What do you mean by WC3's gameplay? The way that it takes 10 minutes for two swordsmen to beat each other to death? Or that it is a RTS game? Cos I for one am looking forward to squishy basic units again, and as far as I can see SCII is also a RTS game, so no change there. Not really sure as to why WC3's gameplay is so powerful and SCII's will not be.

Seriously Sworddragon I don't get anything that you said - terrain being harder to make? why, it's the same sort of terrain and probably same map editor. Why would RPGs be hard to make if they "stick to their 512 RAM minimum requirements"? I don't get it.

The long and short of it is that SCII's editor should just be better overall than WC3's, and providing there is a WC3 style hero system available and an inventory system implementable then all map types currently loved by WC3 enthusiasts can be recreated, but with greater scope for more powerful triggers, easier spells and superior quiality.

Level 3
Oh god I cannot wait for this game.

What I'm hoping for in the editor:

-Enhanced GUI. Blizzard has stated that the GUI will be easier to use, but I'm hoping for better triggers in general. Things like accessing the object editor while ingame, more versatile key commands etc. I've never been a code wiz, and I don't really intend to become one any time soon.

-Enough flexibility so that the map terrain does not always look sci-fi. Blizzard did a good job in the first one, where a lot of the planet terrain looked like it could also have fit into a fantasy setting. I'd just like to see fantasy themes incorporated to the editor in general. I have a feeling it would attract a lot of people from the WC3 mod community who are turned-off by the sci-fi setting.

-Co-op campaign support. This could potentially solve the problem of stupid save/load codes that are incorporated into many WC3 games. Creating caches from BNet for later access would give the mapping community a lot of versatility.

Sorry if any of that sounded misinformed or stupid. I haven't mapped in a while, and even when I did I was pretty amateur. Anyways, I'm excited that Blizz will be allowing us WC3-esque heroes in custom games, as well as inventories. I'm looking forward to the SCII editor, which should be just uber awesome in general.

As for playing SCII, I will probably play melee games every once in a while, but I always enjoyed the WC3 melee to SC. However, I don't see why modders are refusing to switch over, as I will definitely be mapping on SCII as soon as possible. Blizz has stated that the editor will be more powerful, and has already showed us some examples of what we can expect. I'm not worried; I'm excited!

Level 8
I hope we can make the invertory with more than 6-slots. That would be even better.

Blizz has stated that the editor will be more powerful, and has already showed us some examples of what we can expect. I'm not worried; I'm excited!

Where are there such examples? On the site, they just said that it will be more powerful and easier to use. A link to an "example" would be nice :D.

Level 3
I hope we can make the invertory with more than 6-slots. That would be even better.

Where are there such examples? On the site, they just said that it will be more powerful and easier to use. A link to an "example" would be nice :D.

I suppose you're right, that they haven't "showed" us any examples, but I meant that they have given us a few specifics, such as altering not only pathing size, but shape and rotation as well, or a Blizzard-supported map protected

Level 19
Just decided to toss a link to this thread, Blizz has actually stated that the Sc II world editor has all the needed tools to make dota in Sc II:

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=1710931162&sid=1

This also means that all hero stuff that was in Wc 3 will be in Sc II.
Taking out the items and premade spells, I kinda guess they add some base spells that you can change and mod into anything you want.

That thread is months old lol...

Level 21
Batch 30 is out... guess what? it's a map makers batch!

Karune said:
---StarCraft II Q&A Batch 30: Map Maker Series 3---

1) Will it be possible to code the game so map makers can make maps where people can stop incoming spell/missile?

This should be possible through customized ability data and/or triggers.

2) Will we have selectable male/female of every unit?

No, we don't have plans to include male and female versions of each unit.

3) Will we have the option to give players the option to change weapons in-game?

While we don't have any plans for a specialized interface for this, it would be possible using the highly flexible ability system.

4) Will you guys link multiplayer maps, so mapmakers can make multiplayer campaigns?

Yes, we do plan to support multiplayer campaigns and linked maps.

5) Will all buildings stand alone and also can we have the ability to disable tech trees?

The tech tree will be fully configurable through customized data and/or triggers.

6) Will research or firing a skill in a certain location be part of the tech tree enabling, for example Stim Packs could be researched to enable a Factory?

Yes, the tech tree and upgrade system will be fully configurable from the editor.

7) Will it be possible for AI to be commanded to research a skill, perform an upgrade, build a building at a location, build a unit at a location, retreat from a location?

Yes, there will be extensive AI scripting support.

8) Will mapmakers have the ability to set weather that can change the terrain and interrupt gameplay for players? Is this for anywhere or in a specific location?

Weather effect technology has not yet been finalized. However, even if weather effects do not affect gameplay normally, it would be possible to drive both the desired weather effects and associated gameplay effects through triggers.

I like the sound of multiplayer linked maps :)

Level 13
4) Will you guys link multiplayer maps, so mapmakers can make multiplayer campaigns?

Yes, we do plan to support multiplayer campaigns and linked maps.
Excuse me but I need to go clean my pants now. I really hope that means we can make maps campaigns like the WC 3 TFT Bonus Orc Campaign where you can freely move from map to map like an RPG. That would help create awesome RPG maps and just imagine huge war maps like that! 5 maps all with on going war!

But I do wonder how will this handle many units moving, or do they remove loading times. Maybe it's like you make a HUGE map, then cut it to squares or whatever you like and then link them together.

Last edited:
Level 2
Greetings, Hive Workshop members! Allow me to introduce myself. I am AbbaSou, representing a skilled team of mappers and game designers who are currently working on a project entitled, "Adaptation." Currently the features will include but are not limited to:

- A story rich plot

- Multi-Map System where players will be able to venture to multiple planets in the solar system

- Corpse Crafting

- Planet based currency

- Professions

- Evolving Classes

- Monster Arena

- Equipable Items

- Beautiful Terrain

Much more is being discussed in our project forum, http://www.temhawk.com/adaptation. We encourage anyone who is interested in creating some amazing maps to visit the site and provide feedback. We are actively seeking members of development in areas of tiggering, terraining, modeling, skinning, and several others. The Adaptation project is still in infant stages, but it promises to blossom and deliver a high-quality gaming experience.

Level 2
Yes, I've seen that sig in various forms by various users. It's a wonderful testament to the power of the editor (or at least expected power). And, yes, the project is large, but it's not just a single person working on it. There are several team members involved already and we are always looking for skilled map makers to become involved.

Level 19
Lol... You do know where that statement originaly came from do you? It was a fan spam Q&A thread about the most obvious questions which people keep asking made by a fan. It was hilarious!(It really made my day) I don't know where that thread is now.

Level 2
Lol! Yes, I know it wasn't from the official Batches, but considering what they've said about it so far, it doesn't seem too far off the mark. Anyway, everything we're proposing in Adaptation is currently doable (albeit difficult) in the War3 editor, so we are confident that it can be done in the new SCUMedit.

Level 16
-The scripting language is C.
-Items.
-Wc3 Hero Leveling.
-Everything that was possible will/mostly be imported into the editor.
-Blizzard Entertainment is even now asking us what kind of features we would like to see implement in the editor.
So the editor got like almost unlimited functions.
So my hopes sky rocket.

As for features we want: SOME1 PLZ TELL THEM ABOUT CUSTOMIZABLE INTERFACE! sry bout caps but i had to. imagine being able to move your minimap anywhere on the screen using editor, or moving your action buttons anywhere (putting them horizontally, vertically or even adding more of them!). It's the thing i personally need the most.

but when you look at it... it's more like expected to see some blizzard employees watching over this site, so this will most likely be seen by the allseeing eye of blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.