• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mapping Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Staredit Network is hosting the first of what we expect to be many mapping contests: Starcraft II Mapping Contest #1

At the moment, SEN is trying to expand its SCII resources to appeal more to former WCIII mappers - our major problem is that, as a previously SCI mapping community, our members are generally having a rougher time than previous WCIII mappers in moving over to the new Galaxy Edit. This competition is meant to start fixing that - IP is offering small cash prizes ($35 and $15 dollars) to the first and second place winner, as well as mineral prizes (SEN currency for account upgrades). For Starcraft One, Staredit Network was the place to be as a mapper - our members were the ones who discovered Extended Unit Deaths, essentially hacking SC from inside a map - and we're definitely expecting to continue our tradition of innovation with Starcraft 2.

Things that will be judged are the map itself - creativity, professionalism and how fun it is to play - as well as contributions to Staredit Network in the form of Wiki entries, tutorials, resources (which would presumably include useful functions, models, etc). Submissions are due on May 22nd by midnight (-8 GMT), and you should submit both the map and links to your submitted resources (Our SCII Database will be up in a few days, and our Wiki skin is a work in progress) in a post in the linked thread by that time.

All that you need to begin is register, which is done as easily as in any other such website.

If you're looking for more exposure or feedback for a map you're creating, feel free to post about it in our "Custom Map Production" forum. Anyway, check us out, and register for the contest. $35 isn't that much, but if you're already working on something, why not get something out of it? Don't forget to visit occasionally afterwards, too, because there will be more competitions to come.

Level 2
If you're not interested, don't enter. We're holding competitions to build up our wiki into a high-level SCII resource, and we're offering money prizes for what may be less than an hour of additional work (which could be resubmitted on other websites). I don't see anything horrible about that.

Level 7
well to me it kinda seems like your advertising for another site. thats not cool man. not cool at all! why not just host the torny over here? everyone knows hiveworkshop is the greatest anyways!

it also doesnt help that you know have only 11 posts

Level 5
well to me it kinda seems like your advertising for another site. thats not cool man. not cool at all! why not just host the torny over here? everyone knows hiveworkshop is the greatest anyways!

it also doesnt help that you know have only 11 posts

The only reason anyone anywhere ever hosts a contest is for publicity.

As much as I hate member poaching, I don't really see a problem with this. I'm doubtful that anyone will actually remain a member after the contest ends. If the contest required you to have posts on their site, stay there a while, or if he was contacting people in the main section of the site or via PMs, I'd be a sit more worried. You can't expect a site to take down the requirement to register to make submissions... EpicWar is essentially the only place you'll ever see that.

Level 2
That's one way to look at it. I'm advertising, and IP is offering money - but for content, not for membership. There are no post requirements (though, of course, it would be nice), no activity requirements, etc. We hope that most of the growth in membership will come from our content, not through little advertising posts like this.

Level 2
The interface of the website didnt give me the, wow this site is kewl, absession. It looks like crap.

No actual background no nothing.

Level 2
Cyrus, we have eight different skins, five of which have substantial differences and are more than re-colorations (Under "extras" under the shoutbox - at least if you're logged in). Anyway, you're entitled to your own opinion. I don't see what you're trying to contribute here...

Shadonavan, nope. :(.

Bane, we're focusing on our Wiki, with the mapping as largely a side-show. If you can show us a few ready systems and if our judges can see how it'll all work together, that's good. Remember, you're competing against other mappers, not against a static map. Everyone has the same problems, and I'm sure our judges will take into account if a project is unfinished that it'll take a much longer time to finish. EDIT: I asked IP, and he agreed that it doesn't have to be finished.

TheTerran, Some people prefer SCI mapping. Or modding, because our modding community (Our modders can create custom abilities, change tech trees, import graphics/portraits/sounds, create tilesets, customize default screen (what you get when you load SCI up) and the GUI, etc) kicks ass as well. The thing I'm sure many of us on SEN are banking on is that once we acclimatize, things will become very easy to do because of the workarounds we've had to develop working with an inferior editor. My personal favorite map to showcase as an example is Elementa by Lethal_Illusion - it's not completed, but he made a real Warlock-like game. With limited terrain interaction, direct-damage dealing (There's no deal damage trigger in Staredit :p), and some other things. And I have no idea how he did half of it, honestly.

Last edited:
Level 4
Um... Well, to say the least: I would have joined a mapping competition.

The problem? This gem in the first post:
"Things that will be judged are the map itself - creativity, professionalism and how fun it is to play - as well as contributions to Staredit Network in the form of Wiki entries, tutorials, resources (which would presumably include useful functions, models, etc)."

Well, sorry... If it's a mapping contest, it's the map which has to be rated. Not the "contributions", not the number of tutorial entries and wiki postings.

So, sorry, like hawk900 said: "Either join the competition or don't.". Well, I don't.

Thanks for the proposition in any case.

Level 1
Um... Well, to say the least: I would have joined a mapping competition.

The problem? This gem in the first post:
"Things that will be judged are the map itself - creativity, professionalism and how fun it is to play - as well as contributions to Staredit Network in the form of Wiki entries, tutorials, resources (which would presumably include useful functions, models, etc)."

Well, sorry... If it's a mapping contest, it's the map which has to be rated. Not the "contributions", not the number of tutorial entries and wiki postings.

So, sorry, like hawk900 said: "Either join the competition or don't.". Well, I don't.

Eh, it is kind of cheesy, I'll admit that. The map itself holds the biggest portion of the criteria though. It was mostly meant for members of SEN as a mapping + knowledge contest, it was decided after the contest was already in place that we would invite other communities in, because, why not? Diffusion of information and culture and etc are all nice.

Our next contest will most likely have no strings attached, just a straight up mapping contest. So check back in a little while after this contests ends for a new one! Hope to see you guys there.

Status
Not open for further replies.