• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

World Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at the sc ghost mod.
I wonder how you can make money with map?
It must be indirect income from ads or stuff.
Because I think few people will spend money for buying a map even if it is as cheap as 1 penny just the buying demarche with paypal, giving credit card number, e-mail and stuff is annoying and dissuasive.

Level 19
wow! the starcraft 2 editor looks way more powerfull than wc3 editor
i mean only for the mouse and keyboard support

Level 8
That camera system in that ghost map is crap though.

A smooth camera following mouse movements is something I wanna do. If destructibles had vertex color, we could use them instead of doodads and make them fade out in right time, so there wouldnt be any walls and stuff between ghost and the camera...

It will be pretty cool editor anyways, I guess.

Level 8
Thats because im a lazy bastard.

But yea, you do got a point.

Ill submit some spell tomorrow. Remind me if I happen to forget.

Level 8
I think I just jizzed my pants. That lost viking game looks fucking sweet... That's the kind of stuff I want to make.

As for getting paid to make maps, that sounds nice. However, if that means players have to buy maps, I will just make free maps. Who the hell would pay for a map that might turn out to be crap? Not me...

Who is making you? That's right, the map author. Also, do you have to pay? No! There will be plenty of free maps.

Don't be so rough, man. Everywhere your post are soo offensive^^

Well, I doubt many makers will make the map cost something, because
free maps are more played as for those you have to pay.

Maybe a one time pay, I would do that if its not that much.

Level 12
Yes, DotA has allowed blizzard to earn more money, you can notice that when they were doing "DotA specific fixes" in patches.

I say that blizzard should give people money for maps that have increased the players on Battle.net, but not make people pay for maps, because they have already payed for the game. If this is put into action, I would be disappointing with blizzard, and makers if the cost is over $1.
I make Warcraft 3 maps for the fun and learning. I also make them for the appreciation I get from some people for making a fun map.

Still, that editor will be ****ing awesome!
Just, totally amazing.

Last edited:
Level 8
You can make a map that costs money, but i don't think that kind of maps will get popular :/

Thats why you first release a version of the map that is free and when it starts to get popularity you release new patches with more content that cost money and if your map was really great in the first place believe me there will be people that will pay 1-2$ for it :)

Level 17
Well I find it fair that player's get money for their work, but greedy too. If the map is good enough, put up a site for the map, and add advertisements. Then simply adjust it that you need to click on the ad to download the map (so that the player gets payed from the ads corp.) et voila.

Everyone's happy, the creator gets payed, the player gets a free map, and the stupid corp. thinks that someone actually read their add :p

Level 21
The thing is: the engine is not open-source. Thus, programmers can't make money out of this because they cannot create custom content. I find that highly discriminating towards mapmakers that can't model. This only benefits model & texture makers. In fact, I can't see how they are going to stop people from just ripping models & textures and call them their own. They can't possibly track the origins of every model out there.

Level 40
A bunch of artists with no coders wouldn't get very far into making an interesting project either--the coders would just be using the SCE interface rather than raw C++ (or any other full programming language). Hell, warcraft has shown that art is second to code in such projects as art is reusable but melee gameplay, even in only a few custom maps, is barely if at all. I predict it will remain the same way, as it doesn't matter how cool your models are if you don't have a game.

Level 17
PP, I must say all you said make total sense! :)

@ Eleandor:
Models? Haha the most popular Warcraft 3 (ie DotA) is fully model independent!
It does have "some" models, but it's not like it needs them... they barely make any difference...

The models would just come as "extras".

Level 14
Seems sweet, I like how he mentioned alot about the custom UI and the keyboard and mouse support. Becouse he also mentioned about 1/3 being modders of the old modders. I think they brought it up that it's something that was wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.