• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cmon guys! I love hive, but we're not neccesarily catching up with Mapster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I don't feel like building my rep up with another forum.

I'm already participating on three different Blizzard-run forums, a New Zealand ISP discussion forum, a Java programming forum, a WC3 map making forum, the facebook nonsense, and I run a SC2 off-topic forum. I don't want to have to throw in yet another forum to learn the rules and such of.

Level 7
I think that the wc3 section should be kept alive for us who still like to play it, just because the majority playes sc2 doesnt mean that we all should have to suffer. And yes i dont like Starcraft 2, im waiting for Diablo 3.

Level 11
I think that the wc3 section should be kept alive for us who still like to play it, just because the majority playes sc2 doesnt mean that we all should have to suffer. And yes i dont like Starcraft 2, im waiting for Diablo 3.

I think Warcraft 3 should remain alive here too. I also highly doubt that the hive will ever give it the boot. They seem to value it equally with Starcraft II, if not more. So your safe. IDC much for RPG's. They make me feel guilty as if im wasting my life :p. I would of preferred a Warcraft 4 over Starcraft 2 but oh well. The best modding is at SC2.

Level 22

Of course, no one says that war3 shouldn't, it should be even half the site, no need to be a quarter, the rest being sc2. But the comments about why have sc2 section at all, you know, silly comments.

Of course, no one says that war3 shouldn't, it should be even half the site, no need to be a quarter, the rest being sc2. But the comments about why have sc2 section at all, you know, silly comments.

Well these people are just being selfish...they only want what they want, but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. So if we must have at least some warcraft, though starcraft 2 is the priority. It will be for the duration of it's limelight.

Level 10
yeah honestly I just want the same categories on the top for Starcraft 2 that they have for Warcraft 3.

Agreed. I've been looking for custom models. And they are none on the interwebs.

And I also noticed alot of people are also doing the same. We should also have a thread or forum where we communicate our latest awesomeness. Only stuff here is map making.....

Level 31
i didnt read the other comments but i've seen somewhere that ralle was saying that he was working on making the Sc2 part of the site so give him some time and also to answer to the title, i dont think Mapster will be better than hive when the Sc2 ''conversion'' or whatever it will be will be finished. We have lots of people that is making a lot of custom ressources like Models, Skins, Icons, Spells, Maps. So hive isnt only a forum but a ressource bank.

Level 11
i didnt read the other comments but i've seen somewhere that ralle was saying that he was working on making the Sc2 part of the site so give him some time and also to answer to the title, i dont think Mapster will be better than hive when the Sc2 ''conversion'' or whatever it will be will be finished. We have lots of people that is making a lot of custom ressources like Models, Skins, Icons, Spells, Maps. So hive isnt only a forum but a ressource bank.

When I first started using the hive what got me in was the resource bank (models). Eventually I made an account and am now in the forums and stuff. But yeah I can give ralle and the modding community some time to set up everything.

Level 5
1) contests
2) sc2 maps / spells section
3) members should not open threads like "sc2 editor is soo hard... im a pussy and cant learn it"
4) more tutorials in the tutorials section^^
5) propaganda !!! we should make a contest for a thehiveworkshop logo and then every member should blend this logo in at the gamestart for 3-5 seconds in their map

Level 3
Okay so Scmapster has like 13 pages of tutorialls we have about 10 tutorials this is completly killing us we need to raise this value.

NEW:If I have a question I post it here if I want to learn I go there simple.

Level 10
tutorials really isn't it, I don't think.

We have a very limited and empty user made maps section, we have barely any resources, no contests, barely any good discussions, etc...

We are just in general behind them.

Level 3
Why don't we start a demo rally we all work on a single project each week and contribute one part to it then we can make an awesome map and it will get the community involved.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Our user made map section is as full as anyone elses cause everyone gets all maps from battle.net 2.0. Why offer people the ability to download stuff they already have axcess to?

A map and mod showoff section may be created eventually, where people can advertise their maps and mods in a much more efficent way. Currently to find models and icons you go to the editor, open up the dependiencies menu and then download mods via logging in and choosing the public ones you want to use. If there are no or few mods present its cause people are eithor too stupid to make them or that there are no legitimit custom resources yet. Remember that game ports are illegal, even custom made WC3 models ported can be removed by user request unless permission is obtained from their authors.

fozo1655, that idea has been tried and generally does not work because most of the people volenteering to help actually need help themselves and that the skills and control over the project are lacking.

Level 11
Well their is an enormous amount of crud maps on battle.net despite their "popular" ranking. The hive should have a maps section because that would have way better descriptions, user reviews, moderator reviews (maybe). Finding good maps is hard. IDK why the Hive wouldn't make it easier for us. Isn't that the point of a 1 stop shop? All resources here in an organized manner. Surly the Hive can do it better then battle.net.

Though seeing the lack of enthusiasm, maybe not.

Level 11
Mapster just came up with an extremely useful trigger guide and I highly recommend looking at it.

Also keep in mind that sc2 modding will be around for a good number of years, and it's only been like a month since sc2's out. We have plenty of time.

While this is true you could look at it in another way. Mapster is Apple and they just made the iPhone. Now the Hive (motorola, or google, or microsoft) can invent all the smartphones they want in the coming years, but the Iphone is still the most popular phone. So if this is at all relateable, Mapster has a big lead on the hive which is disappointing. This isn't the sort of thing where rooting for the underdog is fun. :)

Disclaimer: It isn't my intent to bring in the smartphone war into this forum. If an iphone hater is out there you can quote this and make a separate thread on it and we can fight there.

Level 10
They already got a head start on a Wiki, I saw that you guys were talking about one, :thumbs_up:

We should just get going as soon as is reasonable, because the longer we go without doing anything the harder it will be do get traffic.

Level 11
They already got a head start on a Wiki, I saw that you guys were talking about one, :thumbs_up:

We should just get going as soon as is reasonable, because the longer we go without doing anything the harder it will be do get traffic.

Their Wiki is a lot more complete then the Hive wiki :/

And I don't mean to sound ungrateful or demanding, but with all those months of beta and a 3 weeks since release, I would kind of expect to see some kind of significant addition to this site involving Starcraft II aside from a forum topic. Ive had such good modding experiences here and I want them to stay here.

Level 34
While this is true you could look at it in another way. Mapster is Apple and they just made the iPhone. Now the Hive (motorola, or google, or microsoft) can invent all the smartphones they want in the coming years, but the Iphone is still the most popular phone. So if this is at all relateable, Mapster has a big lead on the hive which is disappointing. This isn't the sort of thing where rooting for the underdog is fun. :)
Did you just compare major corporations and websites for modding? Wow.
No one actually cares about Mapster "doing better" (perhaps Ralle, since he makes money off this site). If it's a better site, go over there and stop using this one.

Their Wiki is a lot more complete then the Hive wiki :/

And I don't mean to sound ungrateful or demanding, but with all those months of beta and a 3 weeks since release, I would kind of expect to see some kind of significant addition to this site involving Starcraft II aside from a forum topic. Ive had such good modding experiences here and I want them to stay here.
If they have a strong established wiki, why try and compete with them? Wouldn't it be better to find something that users need that isn't being given elsewhere? The Hive had a fairly extensive library of models and textures that worked, and was probably our biggest draw. We also had a lot of helpful users who were "noob friendly". We never had a wiki, and I see no reason to start a SC2 one when there are good ones already being made.

Level 11
Did you just compare major corporations and websites for modding? Wow.
No one actually cares about Mapster "doing better" (perhaps Ralle, since he makes money off this site). If it's a better site, go over there and stop using this one.

I think my simile worked enough to demonstrate a point. If you don't like it, ill pretend to care and say sorry :p

If they have a strong established wiki, why try and compete with them? Wouldn't it be better to find something that users need that isn't being given elsewhere? The Hive had a fairly extensive library of models and textures that worked, and was probably our biggest draw. We also had a lot of helpful users who were "noob friendly". We never had a wiki, and I see no reason to start a SC2 one when there are good ones already being made.

I, like everyone else in the world, would like a one-stop-shop for everything. In this case I want Hive to be my modding one-stop-shop like it was for Warcraft 3. I know this forum, I know the members here, I know what flys and what doesn't, I know the talent that comes here for wc3, and I know how to use all the amenities this site has to offer. Not only would it make sense for the hive to build up its Starcraft 2 half (it should be a half), but it would be very convenient for all wc3 modders moving to starcraft 2. Should anyone be working for my convenience? No. But for everyone elses? Maybe.

If it turns out the hive doesn't want to go full on with Starcraft 2 in the next 6 months, that's okay. I'm not going to cry. I will be dissapointed. And that's the point of this entire thread and all my posts in it.

Level 11
Seriously, I don't know why this thread is still there. Are you able to wait more than 2 weeks? i mean, stop talking about the other sites are better in Sc2, who cares, Hive is a WC3 site for now!!!!

If you read more then just the title of this thread you would see that the point of this is that the hive should be more then a WC3 site. It goes on for 6 pages because many people believe it should be more then just a Wc3 site and others don't seem to care as much that all this is is WC3.

Level 12
Chill the fuck out Anti_Bodies, they told you multiple times that Ralle is working on the SCII part of the site. SCII will be in it's full potential here soon.

Level 11
Chill the fuck out Anti_Bodies, they told you multiple times that Ralle is working on the SCII part of the site. SCII will be in it's full potential here soon.

This is a place for discussion, not for yelling or needless aggressive swearing. Don't make these forums full of anger. I think I have been pretty polite in asking to speed up the SC2 portion of the site and your attitude is not appreciated.

The whole point of this thread is that "soon" isn't soon enough. You know, Anti_Bodies is just trying to help you all out. If you guys are content with staying on a sinking ship, then I'll wave goodbye from Mapster.

I think I will intervene. I wanted a discussion about the new sc2 site and it's late arrival in hive territory. But Ralle is working to make the site THE best it can be, do not lose hope over something as petty as this. Karawasa, go leave Hive and make your name in mapster, the ship will sail away leaving you behind. You will not be missed, I guarantee it. Ralle is in late, he has confirmed he is midway, and there are signs of progress. It's not like we're opting for vaporware. I really hope you understand that we WILL NOT abandon hope when it's less than maybe a month or two away. Starcraft II is supposed to last years. Hive will get it done, because they've always been reliable in the past.

Level 12
This is a place for discussion, not for yelling or needless aggressive swearing. Don't make these forums full of anger.

I didn't yell or say anything inappropriate. I wanted to calm you down and it seems to have done the opposite.

I think I have been pretty polite in asking to speed up the SC2 portion of the site and your attitude is not appreciated.

Your constant nagging is not appreciated.

Everything lightning brigade said is correct. If nobody read what he wrote, read it. If everybody read what he wrote, reread it.

Level 11
I think I will intervene. I wanted a discussion about the new sc2 site and it's late arrival in hive territory. But Ralle is working to make the site THE best it can be, do not lose hope over something as petty as this. Karawasa, go leave Hive and make your name in mapster, the ship will sail away leaving you behind. You will not be missed, I guarantee it. Ralle is in late, he has confirmed he is midway, and there are signs of progress. It's not like we're opting for vaporware. I really hope you understand that we WILL NOT abandon hope when it's less than maybe a month or two away. Starcraft II is supposed to last years. Hive will get it done, because they've always been reliable in the past.

See, you missed the point and in doing so made a complete ass of yourself. But, allow me to explain where you went wrong.

The ship comment was a reference to the fact that people will leave here and go elsewhere if nothing is done about this situation. This is not a petty issue and the ship isn't sailing anywhere. You seem to think there is some inherent value here. The reality is that if there is a better place, then people not intertwined in this community will migrate. At some point it will just be the regulars, and then it is far too late. Just look at Sc2C.

My post was not about me. I was not proposing that a legion of people would care if I left or not. I also haven't tried to make a name here or on any other forums, as I let my work speak for itself.

The simile regarding the iPhone was brilliant actually. That is exactly what is going on here. These kinds of things perpetuate themselves, so it is far easier for Mapster to maintain its lead than for THW to catch up.

The real discussion should be on Ralle. I like the guy. But, if he can't do it fast enough then he ought to find someone who can help. You don't think there are programmers, artists etc. on these boards?

I didn't yell or say anything inappropriate. I wanted to calm you down and it seems to have done the opposite.

I guess tactfulness doesn't come to you naturally. Try telling someone in real life to "chill the fuck out" and see what happens. His nagging might not be appreciated by the block heads, but it sure is appreciated by me and others who don't want to see this site fall into oblivion.

Level 11

If you didn't care for my posts then why even bother with this thread. From your side you can just say "these guys are idiots and it doesn't matter" and then stop looking at this thread.

And would you say "chill the fuck out" to a co-worker (or student, whatever age level you are at), to your boss (or teacher, ditto) or to whomever you are dating (or have/will date)? No. Saying "chill the fuck out" is an unwelcoming and rude phrase.

And I am now done with this thread, unless someone specifically quotes me and brings me back into the increasingly irrelevant discussion.

If Mapstar is the inexperienced lot that I've heard it is, then people that go there with a "in with the new, out with the old" thought pattern will get fed up and eventually and possibly return.

Anyways Ralle's been working on the whole site overhaul thing for pretty much forever now, 1 or 3 more people pestering him about it isn't going to make it come any faster.

Level 1
I believe the only thing that will put this back on the map is to produce high quality custom models for sc2... One good way in order for people to visit the Hive more. I have to admit though I like having my own space as an author on SC2mapster.com

Status
Not open for further replies.