1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Cmon guys! I love hive, but we're not neccesarily catching up with Mapster!

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by lightning brigade, Aug 10, 2010.

1. lightning brigade

lightning brigade

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    As stated, we need to catch up with Mapster. I have a few suggestions that I would like ralle's attention.

1) We need to be actively participating in SC2, as well as making our Starcraft forums more...noticeable.

2)We can't hang onto the past forever, we are going to become as Sparse in numbers and as latched onto old traditions as the Protoss of Starcraft I. And yet...the Protoss have found new mobility in Starcraft II so why can't we?

3) Continuing from point 1 & 2, we need to broadcast that we are Starcraft on the front page. I know our roots are in Warcraft III but we can adapt, so make the forums bigger. Also, we need more forums, and not just sub forums.

4) Starcraft II contests would be welcome, as well as some people guiding newbies to our site.

5) We need to attract the best and brightest to our site, and we should be able to upload Starcraft II maps, just so we can get feedback on them(or at least have a Feedback Forum.

These are my five points, Discuss.

Edit: I will be adding more points

6) since starcraft II is sectionalized(separate servers for each country/region) we need a map transition system. I am in the U.S. and would be happy to help Europeans bring their maps to the U.S. and give my maps to someone to bring them to Europe.

7) continuing from 5 & 6 we badly need to be able to post our maps so people have proof of ownership and can therefore have maps in both Europe, Asia, Australia, the Americas, Etc.

2. ~Void~

~Void~

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If we focus entirely on SC2, WC3 modding (as a whole) will probably die out. Fuck that. At the very most, we should split the focus evenly.

3. Latecat

Latecat

Resources:
    Resources:
    hmm i agree with you.

for the part 4, there arent many contests to make out there, e.g model making can be a shitload harder (i really am not sure but as far as ive heard its true) and skins...well im not sure about it either, but for maps and melee combats, i highly suggest.
    for melee, we would need both NA and EU for a reason ofc with the best players either being a part of it or as judges (i suggest, considering purplepoot for example...)

my thoughts about all parts (except part 4 which is above)
    part 1: yes. i agree.
    part 2: rofl, cant say anything to that :D
    part 3: like Tosh in liberty campaign would say: ''Damn straight!''
    part 5: high five.

FAST EDIT:
    seconded.

4. lightning brigade

lightning brigade

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:

Please don't assume, because I suggested to make it a Primarily SC2 forum doesn't mean it will be totally SC2, in fact, Warcraft III modding is great, but we need to help some SC2 modders because frankly, these guys have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The editor is 1000x more complicated than the Warcraft III and Starcraft I editor combined. This would be a great place for them to learn the ropes, because we can't all be great at the World Editor of Warcraft III and have transitive knowledge of this similar yet dissimilar editor.

Head here if you don't believe me, my name's Laertes BTW.

5. HFR

HFR

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Agreed with Void.

However, as the Wc3 community is still big and strong, the SC2 "part" of the site could be smaller. This can (and possibly will) change with time, of course.

6. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm working on figuring out if a SC2 cross region melee tournament is possible. I already have 4 guest passes collected for NA, and one for EU, so if we could get server switching to work it could be possible.

7. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think Starcraft II should have just as many features/contests on this site as Warcraft III.

And I think its time to shift the focus to Starcraft II. The Hive Workshop exists (now) for modders. I think the Warcraft III modding community has run its course. And It was a great ffing run. Literally changed my (young) life. But the future is Starcraft II. It would be great for the Hive Workshop to fully back Starcraft II to accelerate its modding development.

Though Warcraft III resource moderation and contests should be as they are now.

8. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    ATM, we have 180 members online.. i dont think sc2mapster is beating us.

9. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    i don't even have the game yet so chill

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Stuff will change, just it is progressing slowly.

11. lightning brigade

lightning brigade

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I sent the post of suggestions to Ralle's inbox, if a lot of people show interest, I'm sure Ralle will KNOW the future of Hive. We just have to help Ralle shift his focus with suggestions, if anyone has any, shoot away.

12. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha...what the fuck? I think you swapped WC3 and SC2 by accident?

Back to the topic on hand, I agree. If this site is going to continue being worthwhile, it must keep up with the times.

13. deathreaven

deathreaven

Resources:
    Resources:
    The game's been out less than a month. It takes time to get enough people comfortable with the editor to churn stuff out for contests, also, this section is smaller because it's new. The W3 section has had years to develop. Personally I'd rather see the W3's polished section than the unpolished SCII section when I log on.

14. lightning brigade

lightning brigade

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    All I wanted was conformation from Ralle that he was speedily working on a new UI for the "polishing" of our Starcraft website, being the Hive, we should take on a Zerg Theme imo, anyway, I believe that if Ralle is working on it, he could use our feedback. So add your feedback to this post, I already gave Ralle the link.

15. Anti_Bodies

Anti_Bodies

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually the beta editor has been out for quite some time. Also the hive slowly built itself from nothing. Now their already is a full fledge website and very experienced staff manning it, not to mention many thousands of users. It should not take years for the SC2 portion of this site to develop. Their already is a battle hardened community.

Edit:
    Agreed.

16. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Consider that, SC2 has harder models and textures, it takes more time to make them, not to say dont have the proper tools other than 3ds max w/o other alternative. War3 allows more flexibility when it comes to contests and such, as ppl make tons. Though I agree the number of war3 models is getting too high, not to say too similar as a type.

17. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No one is going to argue that it is easier to mod for WC3 currently. I think the main point has been missed though. That being, no one plays WC3 anymore.

18. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    As much as im from the guys that leave WC3 for good (just very soon), still some do play. Melee (umm my players who dont wanna move to sc2 :/) and for mapmaking.

19. Karawasa

Karawasa

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't take no one literally. There are obviously some people still playing it. But if you compare SC2 to WC3, it is like no one is left.

20. viiva

viiva

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The main reason I visit SC2Mapster over THW is because of
    1. The large amount of maps and active projects.
    2. The frequent updates about some interesting projects on the main page. This way you can keep up with the editor's capabilities and overall community progress without having to use the editor yourself.

I'd like to see THW focus a bit more on recourses (icons, models, spells, tools?).