• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What do you hope SCII will bring to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I was thinking for a lot of time about what I WANT from starcraft2.

1. Starcraft was a f*cking great game, make Starcraft2 at least as great as Sc.
2. Total balance.
3. I don't care about hero abilities in-game, but please, make it available at least with triggers or unit editing.
4. Make GUI know everything JASS can do.
5. Make more custom values to units.
6. Generally, make GUI scripting a shorter.

Level 8
Your thoughts on Starcraft 2?

A freind and I just had a dispute on whether or not SC2 will be a good game. He thinks that it will just be like a redone SC, with a couple new units and 3d graphics. I am personally about to put a 12 guage slug through his CPU for that blasphemous remark, but I was wondering what other people thought?

Level 24
If that's all that it is, it will be great anyways.

Aside from that, I'm subscribed to 2threads about StarCraft II. This one would have been a perfect place to post your question.

Level 7
I want good wraps and maybe just maybe thank god If this happends BLIZZARD MADE MODDING TOOLS.I MEAN OMG THINK HOW EASY IT COULD BE.Sorry just thought beyond worldly limits.Starcraft 2 will be awesome whether some of this stuff wil be there all or even none it will most likley be jsut as good or better than Starcraft(course better 3D)

I also want to see a fricken blizzard made 3D Hydralisk already i mean god they take forever to update website.

Level 3
Dark Templars were said to be replaced by the Immortals. :(

And there can either be two good choices blizzard can make for the triggering. a) Gui or b) The Scripting language they're gonna use(Not JASS). Right now, mixing JASS and GUI was totally f*cked up. Think of it this way, Pure Jass = Advanced modders, Pure GUI, Beginners. Blizzard went straight to the middle and didn't even bother to clean it up. If Blizzard mixes both again, I do hope they polish it.

Level 24
Dark Templars were said to be replaced by the Immortals. :(
Actually they replaced Dragoons with Immortals. I'd like to see some Dragoons in SCII

Edit: @Below: I don't think anybody wants heroes gone and forgotten, just to not happen in ladder play. Having separate ladders for with and without heroes sounds like a good idea too.

Last edited:
Level 8
Heros should be BALANCED in SCII, not done away with. If the hero is just like an ordinary unit that's a little bit stronger (as in it can win 1 on 1 with a lot of units, but will easily die against a few standard infantry) and has abilities, that would be cool. Also, they should make a built in file converter for the editor so that you can import your .tga's and .jpg's and automatically get a .blp. That, and make a good indoor tileset.

Level 26
I don't think heroes would be realistic in SCII. How, exactly, do you expect someone's gun to get stronger simply by killing more aliens? I agree with denizen. They should make heroes the way they did in SC, except with more different appearances for the units, or perhaps an entirely different unit type altogether.

Level 7
There won't be any heroes newbs, havent you played SC and BW ? I think I would like heroes, but since all you do is maps and what I also do is gaming, I know that the problem with heroes are the balances in melee. In war3 high lvl heroes can take out many units, although each race can do it, it still isn't so right one hero to be like a tank to destroy all. The heroes will be like in SC&BW: units with better stats and in teal for the campaigns, that all. I will miss the items, but we can always add abilities to units to pretend that they come from items right? Yes, I got it, you can make a unit with model of a weapon, use triggers to remove it when a hero has it, triggers to add ability or effects when he is close to the weapon-unit, here you go items in SCII!

Also if you are SO limited (at first I also thought all is the same as units just better graphics), you can dl the in-game movies to see new units with new abilities that will require new strategies and not like those used in SC&BW. I can say phew! to even SC gamers will find the game new that will req them to train to be good.

Level 24
There won't be any heroes newbs, havent you played SC and BW ? I think I would like heroes, but since all you do is maps and what I also do is gaming, I know that the problem with heroes are the balances in melee. In war3 high lvl heroes can take out many units, although each race can do it, it still isn't so right one hero to be like a tank to destroy all. The heroes will be like in SC&BW: units with better stats and in teal for the campaigns, that all. I will miss the items, but we can always add abilities to units to pretend that they come from items right? Yes, I got it, you can make a unit with model of a weapon, use triggers to remove it when a hero has it, triggers to add ability or effects when he is close to the weapon-unit, here you go items in SCII!

Also if you are SO limited (at first I also thought all is the same as units just better graphics), you can dl the in-game movies to see new units with new abilities that will require new strategies and not like those used in SC&BW. I can say phew! to even SC gamers will find the game new that will req them to train to be good.
Um... all except for two sentences of your first paragraph has already been said, and could the in-game movie up on SCII.com, or some different one? If it's a different one, could you post a link?

Level 7
That's the one, you dl the file from http://www.starcraft2.com/movies.xml (on the top entitled 'Gameplay'), it is Blizzard downloader and start the file to dl the movie, it presents Protoss mostly, definitely new units, the buildings I think are the same some even look the same but with better graphics. I'm expecting a Terran presenting movie, they only showed 4 types of Terran units so far. Like, Terran can't be Terran without medics.

Level 24
You want another physical? Turn your head and cough. Ready for your [sexyvoice]sponge bath[/sexyvoice]? His EKG is flatlining, give me a G Field, stat! ... He's dead, Jim.

Level 13
Almost everything you do with heroes can be done with units, besides buying items. Think back to original Life of a Peasant maps for StarCraft. Yess they sucked but they were revoloutionary in how they used the engine and the limited amounts of triggers at the time. I think we can follow in theyre footsteps. Nothings stoping any of us from making our own hero units for the game its just that they wont have the little icons at the top left and wont level up witch, when you think about it, is not really so bad.

Level 2
Some things I would rather like to see in SC2:

1) BALANCE- the thing that made the original so freaking great!

2) A better StarEditor. I think I read somewhere that the new scripting language would be similar to C- not sure what to say about that. Still, it would be nice to have a nice Model Editor included in the StarEditor itself, and possibly a image converter/editor tool.

3) Blizzard should think about introducing a nice map protection system- to prevent the maps from being edited, but to make them viewable in a way.

4) An intriguing and well-developed story with an open end, which could be developed further with lots of mods and possibly an expansion.

5) I WANT XEL'NAGA MODELS, even if they are not included as a playable race, they would probably appear in the campaign.

6) No heroes in Battle.net Ladder, please

7) A great Starcraft feeling- we don't want another w3, thanks.

AND MUCH MORE...

Level 7
I change my mind: I've seen enough times hu vs ud top replays in which hu heroes get nuked as if it requires a lot of skill to do it or to kill a unit trying to escape with a coil, usually human wins are with dead heroes thx to mass focus coil nova etc. Better without heroes and experience etc, one hero winning the game for you is not right. BUT, I didn't like in SC&BW resources all over the map and not guarded, they must make creeps to guard the resources. You will use your units to clear it for expansions.

And yes I expect a good SC2 editor that allows you to import models and mostly to make 3ds or ms3d to sc2 models exporter. Agree with map protection.

They MUST make another race, will it hurt races to be 4? They can at least make campaign race like the Naga in war3. They can make a building to HIRE units like the Tavern in war3 and these units to be creeps or another race right?

They must make a building that corresponds to fountain of heal&mana on a map.

I hope triggers to change the model of a unit it is a must! E.g Event, C,Action: Change the model of (Triggering unit) to (file name) e.g SCII Battlecruiser.s2m). I was trying to do that in war3 because Morph in war3 allows you to make as many units as the levels you make, like your morph would need 100 levels, to wanna transform a marine to ghost, event, action - set level of Morph to 50, you wanna change a marine to a woman? Event, actions: set level o Morph to 76 (you make the morphed unit editing the ability or using a custom ability for level 50 of this ability to be Ghost, for level 76 to be a woman, for level 33 to be your mom, for level 49 your daddy etc). That was the war3 way to do it kinda silly isnt it? Then why not use a trigger for that, the game or map knows the file names of the models including custom models.

And what if you want to make a chameleon that transforms to any unit you target like:
Event: A unit uses an ability
C:targeted unit is a building equal to false (to prevent a unit transforming to Barracks)
Ability equal to .... blablabla
Casting unit equal to Chameleon
Actions: Change the model of [Chameleon] to model of [targeted unit].

It can use the file name+ path of the model to do it. It can look like this: Change sc2models\sc2imported\chameleon.s2m to sc2\models\ghost.s2m or medic.s2m the game to detect what file path of the targeted unit is used and to change models based on changing paths.

Last edited:
Level 24
Creeps of any sort would detract from the "StarCraft" feel during ladder/melee. So would the following: "Morphing" in the sense WarCraft does it, purchasable neutral units (can you imagine Zerg players running around with some sort of neutral tank?), neutral regeneration aura structures. I believe the options should remain available for custom maps, but I'd rather not for ladder.

Changing models of a unit seems a little... stupid >_>. Why would you want to turn a zergling into a melee battle cruiser if it doesn't get any sort of bonus at all? Morphing is the way to go, because it physically changes the unit type, while leaving the unit in the same command group.

Level 4
I change my mind: I've seen enough times hu vs ud top replays in which hu heroes get nuked as if it requires a lot of skill to do it or to kill a unit trying to escape with a coil, usually human wins are with dead heroes thx to mass focus coil nova etc. Better without heroes and experience etc, one hero winning the game for you is not right. BUT, I didn't like in SC&BW resources all over the map and not guarded, they must make creeps to guard the resources. You will use your units to clear it for expansions.

And yes I expect a good SC2 editor that allows you to import models and mostly to make 3ds or ms3d to sc2 models exporter. Agree with map protection.

They MUST make another race, will it hurt races to be 4? They can at least make campaign race like the Naga in war3. They can make a building to HIRE units like the Tavern in war3 and these units to be creeps or another race right?

They must make a building that corresponds to fountain of heal&mana on a map.

this is StarCraft 2, not WarCraft 4. why do they need another race? they have lots. if you want another race that badly don't demand that blizzard makes it. the sc2 map editor will be even better. make it yourself.

It will indeed hurt. it's gonna take ~2 years to finish it with three races. imagine four.

terran can be terran without medics. it's ghosts and siege tanks that are vital. maybe battle cruisers too.

Level 12
What I want to see from SC2 is a fresh design. It's easy to make sequels on a popular game with a huge fanbase, but it's hard to pull off a sequel with a fresh design. Think how Blizzard made WC2 and then jumped to WC3. That's how I want the sequel to be like. I know people tend to disagree with the "fresh look," but who wants to see the zerg stay the same and not "evolve" over time?

I don't think a fourth race is necessary for the sequel. Unless it's around, it could be like the naga from WC3. Blizzard has enough time trying to balance the three races, and I bet they wouldn't want to break their reputation for balanced gameplay.

Level 13
Blizzards the developer, story writer publisher (i think) and owner of anything StarCraft. They can do whatever they want with the title, they dont NEED to do anything, they could take the original StarCraft give the marine a +1 attack and call it StarCraft 2, Be Glad they are putting effort into it as you undoubtedly would bitch if it was not, so i suggest you let the think-tanks at blizzard do the work and you, as the consumer trust theyre reputation to not F*ck up.

After all, it looks dead sexy ATM, how could it possibly go wrong this far in with blizzard at the helm ?

Level 24
Hmm. I actually remember hearing that the #1 thing not to do in the gaming industry is listen to your fans. Your fans are hardcore (certainly, compared to the average game-free person) and listening to them is likely to make the game even more so, lowering the amount of newcomers who enjoy the game, lowering overall revenue.

Level 26
Hmm. I actually remember hearing that the #1 thing not to do in the gaming industry is listen to your fans. Your fans are hardcore (certainly, compared to the average game-free person) and listening to them is likely to make the game even more so, lowering the amount of newcomers who enjoy the game, lowering overall revenue.
Also, to listen to whatever your fans say would be to make absolutely no real surprises whatsoever. Fans don't say it, but they like it when a game company acts devious :wink:.

Level 8
Things I would like to see:

1 - No heroes. Starcraft was never about micromanegment, and I don't want it to be. Starcraft is about hordes of units killing each other:infl_thumbs_up:.....in a strategic manner.

2 - A tutorial or help pamphlet for the editor.

3 - Greatly expand the things that the editor can do. Just one small example....in the GUI editor, I cannot find a commadn that clears a buildings build que.

4 - I would like some new races, but I know that's not going to happen.:thumbs_down:

Level 13
Dont be an ass about the no new races thing. C'mon just because Wc3 did it doesn't mean blizzard has to. I dont want a new race anyway they have 10 years of fluff to account for and thats hard to sum up.

Level 24
It's possible that the hybrid zerg/toss race will end up being Xel'naga (the race that bred the zerg swarm and protoss). And yeah, 10 (actually ~9) years of being in the top 10. That's a longass lifespan for a game. Can you imagine how high the pressure to top it will be?

Level 8
I don't mind if they don't put a new race in the game. But it would be very cool if they had some extra races that you could play around with in the editor, like the Naga and Dranei in WC3.

*Kind of off-topic*

What exactly are the Xel'naga? Could someone give me a link to a site with the SC story on it?

Level 2
How is that possible anyway? i remember that the Xel'naga was destroyed by tassadar's flagship or whatever it was. But i cant wait to horde around with BLACK HOLES.

Level 24
This is exactly repeating what I've said in the post right before yours, Simon: the race that bred the zerg swarm and protoss.

They are basically like the Forerunners of Halo, except the races can remember direct contact with them.

@SlAyEr: What the hell are you talking about, the Xel'naga destroyed? That was the Zerg Overmind that Tassadar kamikaze'd his carrier into. And if you want black holes, get Command & Conquer 3. I'm pretty sure the Scrin can do something with them.

Level 26
The Xel'Naga first found the protoss on aiur, and enhanced them in an attempt to create purity of form. they wanted the protoss to unite, but instead they broke up into tribes and began beating the shit out of each other. When the xel'naga decided to leave, the protoss saw this as an act of hostility and began shooting at the ships. though the majority survived, the protoss continued fighting each other in a period known as the aeon of strife. the xel'naga left to the planet zerus, where they found a puny little species known as the zerg, who were little harmless larva, but had genetic versatility and psionic sensitivity. They helped the zerg be able to affect their surroundings in parasitic ways, and soon the zerg were infesting things and absorbing them into their gene pool. the xel'naga decided to try to control this race by creating the overmind. the overmind pretty much betrayed them and killed off most of the xel'naga. the ones that escaped are now unknown.

Most of what I've said was reiterating wikipedia.

Level 1
It'd be cool if scII had as much freedom with the camera as WCIII or Warhammer 40,000. Is there any info on that?

Or model / skin editing?

Level 24
There's probably even more freedom than with WCIII. Have you seen any of the things where they show off the units? The camera turns a lot.

Level 8
One thing I would love is the feature to ban from the custom game list (Only for you though..) and also have a few games that you like at the top (And again only for yourself) it would make searching so much easier...
Able to make heros in the editor but never in melee games.....

Level 40
One thing I would love is the feature to ban from the custom game list (Only for you though..) and also have a few games that you like at the top (And again only for yourself) it would make searching so much easier...
Able to make heros in the editor but never in melee games.....
Yeah, I've always wanted to filter out DotA ;) (I'm being serious here)

Level 1
There's probably even more freedom than with WCIII. Have you seen any of the things where they show off the units? The camera turns a lot.

Only a few of them show the units at a different angle though. The rest (and the majority) of what I've seen was like the usual RTS birds-eye-view of everything.

Level 36
You can't get rid of lag. It's not Battle.Net, it's the users. If one user has a shitty computer/connection and plays on Battle.Net, then there will be lag. Until every single Battle.Net user has a highspeed internet connection, plenty of memory, and an above-average videocard, expect lag, it comes with the price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.