• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft II Galaxy Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Seems to me like Blizzard should just make a program designed to make custom games, and have presets for genres, including all the models and etc to come packed with it.
Then maybe have a BNet similar system set up for playing other's custom games on top of it (making multiplayer easier to accomplish within the custom games).

This way the editor is more geared toward customization, (little more epic perhaps?) and the loads times may not have to be as severe (as everyone has already preloaded the game instead of having to constantly reload the map).

Level 3
Load times should be drastically more efficent in SC2 due to multi core processing and other methods allowing for data to be constantly loaded from harddrive and for the map to load in more than one way at once.

Even so, people will still try and reach the limit without it being too much. So as to get as much content into their maps as possible. Similar to how people optimize for WC3, the only difference now is the bar is raised and more lenient. However, because of it, people will begin making their maps bigger and bigger.

Regardless, my point still stands, they should just make a game-making/editing program. They'd still be able to attract more customers via a different crowd instead of the few that still play WC3 and realize it's modding potential (and then see the immense increase in potential through SC2). Besides, the majority of people that are interested in WC3 are mostly in it for the DotA (and whatever new DotA that may arise within SC2 -- if at all).

It'd still be more efficient (and like I said, they'd attract a different crowd not just RTS fans who just happen to like the potential of the editor and can use it effectively) as described than loading the custom maps.

Level 12
This has got to best the most awesome editor ever i mean the capabilities including tracking mouse movements this means over 10k if not more new games can be created in this than WC3.

I have to admit once SC2 comes out WC3 will be obsolete to me and i will start work on many new maps for the SC2 editor :grin:

Level 12
I'm guessing since it can pick up mouse movements that it will also be able to detect which keyboard keys are pressed at what times which means you could design a whole UI using nothing but hotkeys which would make gameplay of a map so much faster :grin:

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
What I would like to know is if they will still impliment BJ functions (the ones that appear red in JassNewGen) and if they will make it so "region/rect" are ridiculously still two different things.

edit: also, if they will impliment new calculations so that we don't have to fully-code things like exponentials and cosines...

Level 27
I'm amazed that Bllizard made everything I have ever fished for in a map editor!.. its not even a map editor anymore, its like a whole new game making programm!
Only that I still have few questions:
-Will you be able to understand everything easilly if you already had experience with WC3 WE? Are all the terraining/ editing units/abilities/ trrigering systems as simply understandable as WC3 We ones?
-I've seen that you can terramorph the ground and know that water level can be rised. Will these abilities will be able to be combined?! Will you able to terramorph a terrain to make some kinda like a water barrier to protect from rising water level?
-Will you be able to make a simple triger that allows you to kill units with falling rocks or whatever crushing them? You know, A tank comes near to a montain => mountain explodes, a boulder flies towards the tank => You've got a tank pancake, sir!

Level 15
I'm amazed that Bllizard made everything I have ever fished for in a map editor!.. its not even a map editor anymore, its like a whole new game making programm!
Only that I still have few questions:
-Will you be able to understand everything easilly if you already had experience with WC3 WE? Are all the terraining/ editing units/abilities/ trrigering systems as simply understandable as WC3 We ones?
-I've seen that you can terramorph the ground and know that water level can be rised. Will these abilities will be able to be combined?! Will you able to terramorph a terrain to make some kinda like a water barrier to protect from rising water level?
-Will you be able to make a simple triger that allows you to kill units with falling rocks or whatever crushing them? You know, A tank comes near to a montain => mountain explodes, a boulder flies towards the tank => You've got a tank pancake, sir!

Damn, sorry tleno, but this won't answer your question!: PANCAKES!
:D Hope that it will be able! Wait and you will see, if u will know everything earlier, it won't be so a big surprise, leave your questions for now :D and wait for the explosion

Level 3
You should be able to make a unit and upload it to the website, not just the model but the stats and abilities too. So when you want to add variety to your game you can import a number of diffrent zergs or protoss or whatever that other people have made for games.

Level 19
Anyone got any videos about the editor? apart from the ones at the start of this thread? I really want to see more of the editor and how it works.

Yeah, could you show us the screenshots if you have the beta?

The only footage of the editor we got, as far as I am aware, is the one I uploaded on YouTube. You'll most likely only find the same video everywhere else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9gSEysGeus

It isn't released yet but will be available later during the beta.

Level 8
Ohhhh Blizzard pls don't forget to include the mighty Terra-Tron in the editor! Omg I love it!

http://www.starcraft2.com/features/terran/terratron.xml

http://www.sc2pod.com/img/gallery/878.jpg - Protossimus Prime!

What is the zerg boss?
This isn't the place to ask Blizzard things ;). They have confirmed multiple times that most, if not all, models they have made for Starcraft 2 will be in the editor. Including Terratron. Protossimus Prime is from a comic someone submitted and is not known to be in the editor, nor' a zerg equivalent.

This editor is going to be at least half the game for me ^.^

Level 15
Level 8
Well does anyone know if galaxy editor will support the use of more than two resources as this would greatly increase some aspects of map making
I believe there was something about that at some point.

I know you can make more/edit the existing race choices; meaning that when you host a map the players can choose races that are not, say, Terran, but instead Orks or Builders or whatever you name them. I hope they add in many other small things like this, like the mentioned resources.

Level 19
I believe there was something about that at some point.

I know you can make more/edit the existing race choices; meaning that when you host a map the players can choose races that are not, say, Terran, but instead Orks or Builders or whatever you name them. I hope they add in many other small things like this, like the mentioned resources.

They did mention that it was possible to have more than 2 resource types. Old FAQ batches. :p

Level 19
Terratron was one of the SC2 easter eggs, just like the Tauren Marines. And its just a big allousion to Transformers. Altough zerg transformers would be awesome.

If I'm not mistaken, and I doubt I am, Karune once stated that they're trying to implement the Terratron into the editor and make it playable.

However, that was a long long time ago.

Level 3
They did mention that it was possible to have more than 2 resource types. Old FAQ batches. :p

You can make Multiple Recource types? Very useful, That will make the game more interesting on world editor, You could make your own way to get it. Like not mining or using a gas vent, maybe... CRUSHING THE BODYS OF YOU ENEMYS INTO A FINE PASTE, that tastes like chicken :D

anyone got any more facts about it? You probably know this but you can add body parts to your units! that's what they did with the Uberlisk to graft tentacles to it, you could probably do that in Wc3 if you were a model editor, but still.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
It would be VERY nice if Blizzard uses a cross-referencing system in the data editor like an expanded Object Manager -

more specifically, I want to be able to check an ability to see which units use it, and I want to be able to check a buff to be able to see which abilities reference it. I also want to be able to check modelpaths to see every place it is referenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.