• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hive Workshop's First
Paired Mapping Contest

Welcome to The Hive Workshop's First Paired Mapping Contest. The idea behind this contest is that you have to make a map as a pair. You will be able to choose a partner to work on a map with for the contest.

With your partner you will be able to make a map of your choice, but I recommend that you stay away from maps that a lot of work to complete, like campaigns.

Rules
Here is a list of the rules you must follow if you plan to enter the Contest.

1. The Map must be made with a partner, solo made maps are not allowed.

2. The entered map can not of been started before the start of the contest. All Maps must be made from scratch and started after the start of the contest.

3. Only 2 people are allowed to work and enter a map, no more. The only things you can use that aren't made by you are models, skins, spells, systems or other imports that haven't been made specifically for the map.

4. All maps that are entered into the competition must be unprotected, so that I can look at the triggering and anything else I need to.

5. Custom Spells, Models and imports can be used, but you must acknowledge that they are not made by you, and they will not count towards to your score.

Judging Criteria
You can look here to a find a list of all the Criteria the Maps will be judged on.

Criteria
Description
Marks
Gameplay
How good the Gameplay of the map is. Is it fun to play?
/10
Terrain
How well has the terrain been made? If there are any imported Models or Skins how well do they fit in with the rest of the models and skins?
/10
Triggering
Was the Triggering in the map well made? How efficient is it? Are there many leaks in it?
/10
Object Data
How well made was the Object Data for the map? Were the spells in the map custom made, or just original warcraft 3 ones?
/5
Storyline
If there was a story in the map, was it original, or is it a story thats been used a lot before?
/5
[r]Quality
Did the map look professional, or did it just look like a bunch of units, doodads and triggers all just put into a map? Were all the tool tips working properly? etc.
/10

The winner of the contest will be decided by both Judges and the public. A team of judges will each judge a map, and the scores in all the different criteria will be averaged, giving an overall score from each judge. The scores from the judges for a map will then be added together. A public poll will then be made, and basically any votes that are made for the map will be added onto the score of the map.

If any of the Criteria can not be done in the map (eg. a Storyline for a Minigame or Melee Map), then it will simply not be marked on, so you won't get a 0 for it.

Judges
Bellow is a list of all the Judges. And also please rememeber that judges won't be able to enter the contest.

Judges
Bob27
Mini-Me
Archian
Craka_J

Deadline
The Deadline for the Contest will be the will be the 30th of September. Since that is almost 3 months, I doubt that I will need to extend it, but if it is completely necessary then I will extend it.

Contestants
Here is a list of all the Contestants in the Contest. If you and someone else would like to become a contestant you both need to post in the thread saying that you want to be each other's partner for the mapping contest, and if possible you should tell us the name of the map you are making.

Team Member #1

Team Member #2

Map Name

Team #1
DoOs_101
Valkemiere
getOwned

Team #2
Unhit
frooker
BEER BEER

Team #3
Palin_Twinblade
Kalbination
Vaelahrn Infiltration

Team #4
Dil999
PurplePoot

Team #5
[c]r0x_yo_s0x
Homicide13
Alcoholics' Rampage

Team #6
Deep Sea Kraken
Squll2
Ender's Game: Battle Arena

Team #7
Doctor-Pepper
Madome
City Of Drugs

Team #8
Shados
SuPa-
Size Matters

Team #9
Celestea
Jacek
Waves of Destruction

Team #10
PEONMASTER
donut3.5

Team #11
EmBeR_NaGa
GivenMight
One Spooky Night at the Mansion

Team #12
JarrardKO
Lingonberryjam

Team #13
RedBlade
Eskhata

Team #14
Scyth-Master
Cavman
Caves and Corpses

Team #15
EvilCrizpy
Robot-Dude

Team #16
HeretoDLstuff
NearbyHermit
Blue Materia Rpg

Team #17
Billy2
TheSpoon
Tides Of Elements

Team #18
Ratherion
Kixer
The Tides of Flame

Team #19
†-Revellion-†
Wolf
Armaggedon

Team #20
jonadrian619
Diablo-DK
Insurrection

Team #21
Melkor_L
infrenus
White Knight Revenge

Team #22
Grazz
Liurix
Hero And Overlord

Team #23
Skrab
DrSick
Blood Shadow

Team #24
Whitehorn
Andy
Warhummer

Team #25
Bloodvirus
Dreadnought[Da]
Heaven Bound

Team #26
Yearight
MindWorX
Flea Fight

Team #27
Oblivions_Wrath
Sube2
Battleground

Team #28
FuryOfASquirrel
steve

Team #29
Attrox
mischamick
Fidji under water

Team #30
Jedi §layer
Hamster Hunter
Return to Heaven

Team #31
Arab4life
FGRaptor
Outcast: Survival of the fittest

Team #32
The_Legacy
DigitalDemon

Team #33
Razorbrain
Hell Knight
The Art of War

Team #34
Joelimphi
Spammy
Deadly Nights

Team #35
Xsilver07
Jandon
Cardiators

Entries
All entries to the contest must be posted in this thread, so that me and the other Judges can find them easier, and it will make it easier to link to them when the public poll is opened.

Prizes
For the contest, the following prizes will be given out to the winners of the contest.

Position

Prize

First Place

50 rep + Award Icon

Second place

30 rep

Third Place

10 rep

Links
Bellow is a list of links about the Contest.

Last edited:
Level 7
I'll join I guess!

Ok i'll join! Its about time a contest like this showed up ... am gonna tell my friend to help with me again :grin: , BTW my friend is gonna come online later on but I have to go sleep for now so I can't talk to him yet .. Also .. Is there a limit of how much Imported models , skins , and icons I can use? Also our map is gonna be our little secret ok? I don't really want to spoil the surprise anytime soon.

Level 24
Ok i'll join! Its about time a contest like this showed up ... am gonna tell my friend to help with me again :grin: , BTW my friend is gonna come online later on but I have to go sleep for now so I can't talk to him yet .. Also .. Is there a limit of how much Imported models , skins , and icons I can use? Also our map is gonna be our little secret ok? I don't really want to spoil the surprise anytime soon.

Nope, there isn't a limit, except if your making a multiplayer map you might want to try and keep it under 4mb, so that its playable on battle net.

Can I use systems I made from before the beginning of the contest for a different map?

That should be fine to use, as long as the actual map itself hasn't been started yet.

Level 2
I would like to join but I have no partner :S

I think i can find someone...btw, my partner must be a member of this forum???

Level 6
Too bad I'm busy working on my current map. (See below in my sig) Or I'd join in this contest... Could use the rep and icon. :D

Level 2
Weeeeeeeee -crash-

Anyways, this looks interesting. I might just play the maps..=) -shifty eyes-

Seeing this, im not gonna join as im a noobie mapmaker |_|. Im looking foward to all of your maps. Good luck.

Uhhh.. Here's a tip.
(Learned from my brother.)
Tip 1: Always keep the game simple, creative, and re-playable so that players can enjoy the game to the maximum.
Tip 2: Work on one thing at a time (etc. units first, then triggers) so that you don't get mixed up.
Tip 3: Don't think too hard ;)

-Kirby98

Level 6
frooker and I will join the contest with our upcoming map called "BEER BEER". It's going to be a custom race map with some gameplay variations. The story is pretty easy. Each player has a hero that mustn't die and your hero is thirsty. You have to defeat all other heroes to ultimately be crushed by a huge keg of beer. Background music might be Korpiklaani - Beer Beer, depending on how many new models we'll use and therefore how much MB we got left for useless music x)

Level 2
I'd like to take a crack at this. I've got a couple of ideas brewing already.
If someone is interested, drop me a pm.

While I don't have any maps done to show for it, I know my way around world editor fairly well.

Last edited:
Level 5
I would be interested in joining, but am in need of a partner, so if you're interested lemme know.

A short disclaimer:
-I would prefer that my partner know a fair bit about mapmaking, so we can split work better
-I would like to make a goblin-themed or goblin-related map if I enter in the contest
-I have a fulltime job, so I can only work at night

Level 40
Scythe_Master said:
Can I import custom spells, or does the spell creator have to be my partner?

This brings up an interesting point. Currently you suggest rating people on the object data/spells/triggers in their map, but do not mention anything to do with 3rd-party spells (like the ones available here)

This could end up with someone who knows nil about mapmaking getting a high score in these fields due to the good code of the spells they imported from good coders.

There should probably be some sort of clarification as to this issue (preferrably that either you can't use 3rd party spells, or that any 3rd party spells don't count towards your score in these areas)

Level 4
I find it amusing that there are plenty of members searching for a partner even though there are other members advertising in this very thread.

I find it ironic that I'm doing the same, I'm in (I need a partner).

Level 27
wait until someone pms them?
Tee hee, you said pms.
...sorry.
I would be interested in joining, but am in need of a partner, so if you're interested lemme know.

A short disclaimer:
-I would prefer that my partner know a fair bit about mapmaking, so we can split work better
-I would like to make a goblin-themed or goblin-related map if I enter in the contest
-I have a fulltime job, so I can only work at night

Anyways, if you wouldn't mind me disappearing for 3 weeks starting July 27, then I think I fit your criterion fairly well...
--donut3.5--

Level 2
posted just to say im here :p

also deep sea kraken means, to be more specific can we enhance our map with 3rd party programs BUT still be opened in the STANDARD editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.