• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #3 - Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Paired Mapping Contest #3
Heroes
Contents
Theme
Welcome to the 3rd Paired Mapping Contest. Like the previous contest, you have to create a map in a team of 2 people. The theme for this contest is Heroes. You must create a map where the player controls one main hero, and no other units, so it can be any of these genres:
  • Hero Defense
  • Hero Arena
  • AOS
If I missed any just tell me and I will add them. Basically though as long as the main unit the players control is a hero, and they don't control get to control any other units (except for summoned units, and units like that), then it should be fine, but please post before doing any other genre, to make sure it is ok.

Rules
  • The map must be created in a team of 2 different people.
  • The map must be to do with heroes, where the player controls one hero and nothing else.
  • The map must of been started after the launch of the contest. The map can not of been started before the contest starts.
  • All the entries must be unprotected so that the triggers and scripts can be looked at.
  • Imports can be used, however you will not receive any marks for them, and all imports must be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 4mb, so they are playable on b.net. Having it under 2mb is recommended.
  • All models, skins, sounds or resources used in the map must be credited.
Criteria
This is the criteria that all of the submitted maps will be judged on:

CriteriaDescriptionMarks
HeroesHow well made were the heroes? Did they have original abilities, or just normal wc3 ones?/15
GameplayWas the gameplay fun for whatever genre it was? Was it balanced?/10
TerrainDid the terrain in the map look good? Was the overall terrain in the map good, or did it look bad? Was there good detail, or did everything look very blank? Was the terrain practical with the gameplay?/10
TriggersWere the triggers used in the map good, or were they made badly. Were memory leaks fixed, or were they not?/10
Originality & CreativityHow original were the ideas and heroes used in the map? How creative are they?/10
QualityDoes the map look good? Has it been made well, or has it been made badly? /10
The entries will be marked with 50% judging, 50% public poll. Once the deadline has been reached, all entries submitted into the contest will be marked, and a public poll opened. Please remember that the maps don't have to be completed, you can submit a map even if it is uncompleted.

Deadline
The deadline for the contest will be the 30th of April. All entries must be submitted before or on that date. All maps must be attached to a post in the thread for the final entry, stating who the 2 authors of the map are.

Note: The Deadline has been extended another 12 days, so the new deadline is the 11th Of May.

Prizes
Bellow is a list of all the prizes that will be awarded for this contest.
1st. 40 reputation points, and an award icon.
2nd. 20 reputation points.
3rd. 10 reputation points.
All of the winners will receive their prizes once the judging is completed.

Contestants
If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating who your partner is, and the name of your map. Although the name of the map is not required, it is encouraged to post the name of the post as soon as you come up with one.

Map NameUser #1User #2Submitted
Fragments Of LifeUchihaSasuke.grHeero
PortalPyritieInstant Ramen
Knock-OutHINDYhatHappyTauren
Icecrown StadiumKillfacehvo-busterkomo
Yearight HeretoDLstuff
In Memoriam†-Revellion-†Rakdos,Defiler
NeedlesDa_Troll
Lord_of_sausageBurnedevil
Bandit Lord's ArmyFibianwater_knight
Paradigm ShiftShadosEarth-Fury
Leaves of War: MaelstromBurburZero_Blader
Avatars of TanalornAlbiino-ICancelion
DaedinTSMC-S_GilmouR
Creative.SSea Age
Polar TravelD.O.G.milky way
Chaoslord5JoshRulz
TheSpoonMurderMode
Gillesredscores
Black CryptsMidnight2Hawkwing
eWs.AzureeWs.SGMM
Advanced WarsHoernchenZack1996
TureriDraknyte1
communist_orcAngus.Young

Last edited:
Level 24
As you may have noticed, it says the terrain of the minigames when this is obviously not the theme.

Thanks for pointing that out, fixed it.

Does this mean we can create a Maze/Escape - like map?

Well I suppose you could, but if you look at the criteria, heroes take up 15 points in the judging, which is more then any of the other fields, and it would be extremely difficult to make a maze map with heroes good enough to score highly in that field. So if you really want to I suppose you would be able to, but you probably would not get a very good score.

Level 12
Ok so hang on, would a map like a Footman Frenzy type map be ok?
You mainly pick & control a Hero, but you have a few troops to command.

EDIT: I just noticed.

"The map must be to do with heroes, where the player controls one hero and nothing else."

Level 24
Ok so hang on, would a map like a Footman Frenzy type map be ok?
You mainly pick & control a Hero, but you have a few troops to command.

EDIT: I just noticed.

"The map must be to do with heroes, where the player controls one hero and nothing else."

Yea so basiclly you can do any time of map you want, as long as the only unit you can control is a hero (except for summoned units, which have to be summoned by the hero, and have to be timed for it to be allowed).

Ahhh damn it When Servers Collide would've been perfect for this contest :<

Anyways, me and Instant Ramen might be doing... something.

A month and a half? Well it's better than the one month we had last time...

The deadline may or may not increase, it depends on how many people have finished their maps by then. But if there haven't been more then 3 entries submitted, there will probably be an extension.

I'll pair up with UchihaSasuke.gr.

:thumbs_up:

Level 3
hey hvo- and gilles i am a pretty good mapper, and a presisionist at creating ideas but the spells, heros, and and sertant trig types are my problem
trig types i suck at (movment other than basic click, i can not create very many vars that are interesting.) spells (no one ever likes my spells because they usually have no art effect)and for heros i cant very well balance str, agl and int :(
So please get back to me either one of you and fast because i want to get started :) :) :) :) :) :)BUT I AM VERY GOOD AT IDEAS AND TERRAIN SO PLEASE EMAIL ME I CHECK MY EMAIL EVERY 1-2 DAYS
[email protected]

Oh yea and please dont email the answer no to me. if its no please post it on threads beacause i already get enough mail from my friends anyways...lol:cute::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd::xxd:
by the way im going to get started on creating the terrain tomarrow

[rainbow][email protected][/rainbow]
Needles, please don't triple post. There is an edit post button; use it. I would merge them for you, but I don't have the power (Bob should have :p)
On teaming up, I am looking for a more capable person. Like you, I too have ideas, and my strong point is terrain. Sorry mate.
sorry about that a friend sugested this site to me and im sorta new to everything about it

Last edited:
Level 3
How many heroes should be in this map? A good hero is very time-consuming to create, so obviously it can't be too high a number, but only one or two heroes would clearly be too few...

Level 24
How many heroes should be in this map? A good hero is very time-consuming to create, so obviously it can't be too high a number, but only one or two heroes would clearly be too few...

Doesn't matter, if you made only a few heroes, but they were all extremely well made, you would get more points then someone, who had a lot of heroes, but weren't as good.

Level 34
Needles, please don't triple post. There is an edit post button; use it. I would merge them for you, but I don't have the power (Bob should have :p)

On teaming up, I am looking for a more capable person. Like you, I too have ideas, and my strong point is terrain. Sorry mate.

Level 4
I could join with someone with good idea. Im not good at terraining, but im pretty good with triggers. You can see my work from hero contest soon when I post my back.

Level 1
I need a partner, preferrably one that is quite good with terrain. I can do most triggers, though they will be GUI, and I am quite good with object editor. So if you are good at terrain and want to partner please PM me. I want to do something with robots, my main idea would be an AOS of sorts, like custom mech arena, but w/o any CPU units. So like dota with no helping units, and to win it would be like Custom Hero Arena. Needles, will you join me? If you do, please PM me, not post on this.

Level 3
I'm interested in this. I have some good triggering skills in GUI, as well as general design and hero and spell creation. Terraining is the number 1 ability I'm lacking in. I kind of want to do a mini-AoS.

Level 24
Ok updated the contestants list, if I missed anyone just say so.

Okay me and Instant Ramen will probably be making a map like this.

Interesting idea, looking forward to seeing how it will turn out.

I am looking for a partner i am prity good with triggers and making units and all but i am no good with terain and spelling if your intrasted post plz.

Also is it aloud to be a RPG.

Yea it can be an RPG, but as heroes count for a lot of the points, I would focus a lot on the actual hero, rather then on other things you would normally focus on in RPGs.

Would a hero war work?

Yea, as long as you control one hero, and nothing else, its fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.