• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Modeling contest #4 - TOWERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

Mordor.png

Contest Theme: Towers

Contestants are to create a "tower" building model. Something that could act as a "tower" ingame

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  3. You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  4. To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and an in-game screenshot of the model.
  5. You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  6. You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  7. Your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Birth
    • Stand
    • Death
    Other animations are optional
  8. Your tower may have an "attacking turret" on it.

prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 100 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
    • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
      • 15 points for mesh (verticies and faces)
      • 10 points for animations (or how well Blizzard animations have been used)
      • 10 points for skin (or how well Blizzard skins have been used)
      • 5 points for mechanics (how well does this model work ingame)
      • 5 points for effects (appropriate use of particles, particle saturation, etc.)
      • 5 points for creativity.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

All submissions must be complete and submitted 4 weeks after the contest is started.
The contest shall begin on Wednesday, October 6th and conclude on Wednsday, November 3rd, 11:59 PM, 2010 GMT

judges.png

Tell us if you want to judge!

1. Devine
2. l0w_kwaliti
3. HappyCockroach

entries.png

I will list the participants here as they enter

Contestant
Entry
Anarchianbedlam Barad'Dur
ShamanyerbuttholeElemental Tower
Pyramidhe@dAmethyst Tower
Mr.BobMortar Tower
Dan Van OhllusSuccorbenoth
-Peper-Dragon Tower
The_silentTesla Tower
Chilla_KillaAlien Tower
ReviloCrystal Tower

Extensions
We will be using this new deadline extension protocol.

Deadline will end (no exceptions) when BOTH criteria are met

1. Pre-set date (e.g. November 3rd 11:59pm GMT) is met
2. We have minimum of 3 completed entries

Last edited:
Alright, I got 1 question though... Considering the first criterium already fulfilled, it will last until the end of the day (GMT) which we have 3 entries at least, or when the third entry is submitted the contest is closed and this is a 3-entry-contest now.
Cos if it lasts until the end of the day, maybe those who still didn't finish can still give up on polishing it and upload their unfinished shit with rushed stuff and the contest will turn out quite better, with 4 or more entries.

Then it would be:

Deadline will end (no exceptions) when BOTH criteria are met
1. Pre-set date (e.g. November 3rd) is met
2. We have minimum of 3 completed entries at the end of the day (GMT)

First WIP.
DevilsTower.jpg

Note that the grid is there to show how the tower will be placed on the ground.

This is an early progress so I have more stuffs to do on this tower, such as...

- Adding a demon in a similar method to this model, only difference is that the upcoming demon is organic and will attack by throwing magical stuffs (thus acting as a turret).
- Adding various accessories to fill up with the emptyness of the tower.
- Add team colour somewhere (I'll improvise, perhaps on the accessories and on the demon).

Level 30
lol. xD

Anyway, my idea might be some egyptian "tower". :D

First I was like "are there even towers in Egypt?"

But then I was like "lol" when I googled "Egyptian tower" and found this to be the first given picture.
r213536_824160.jpg

Bob, it looks fine but I'm pretty sure it'll take too long to finish or you might not even finish at all. Better make something more simple.

Level 4
Stop. Wip time.

UVWrapping this is going to take twice as long as it took to make the mesh lol.

Animating it is going to take half the time. :D

EDIT: Poly count is 4195 btw.

That would be perfect for if some1 made a LEGO Battles map. The Kingdom and Navy races had tower units almost exactly like it.

Shama... that is the most awesome model I have ever seen.

Okay Here is my first WiP.
The make a long story short, I am making a "tower" made out of skin.
Some "necromancers" steal babies (babies are most malleable) and morph it into material which they can use to make minions. These special necromancers do not resurrect the dead, but the morph the living.
This one in particular is a magic minion, one who has lost its ability to move, feel pain, hear, and feel emotion, but instead get powerful magic. Their magic makes them aware of any hidden foes. They can also shoot fireballs that not only burn the body physically but also mentally, and the cause of death is usually suicide, and not burns.
SkinTower.JPG
This is a Wip showing the back of the Blind Magic Minion as well as a crappy pic of it on the right (i used adobe flash because I felt like it instead of a proper program).
Currently I am making the hand which will probably be the hardest bit, other than anims.
BTW if this is not a tower tell me now

Level 31
Poly spam in an old engine is for people who don't know how to model :p

Or for people who understand the limits of an engine and understand how sparingly a hero-ish building is used.

4k is nothing. Especially for a building. The engine can handle it if all the units and buildings in the game had double the polies. It wont lag the engine at all. What it will do is lag the computer. But, we are far beyond the era of poly conservation for the sake of computer power. As long as I am in the limits of what the engine can handle I'm fine. And this engine can handle more than what the game itself offers.

The wrap on the stone parts looks extremely lazy.

How so? All the seems line up, and the shaded parts are where they need to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.