• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Mini RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
6-png.311479

MM16img.png

A mini mapping / level design contest with a focus on making beautiful, playable terrain, hero design and boss fights.
Contestants must create a short linear map with RPG elements, at least one well designed hero (no classic Warcraft 3 spells), a short backstory, at least one cinematic and one boss fight.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• All submissions and all resources contained within the map must adhere to all of Hiveworkshop's rules.
  • You can not start working on your submission before the contest has officially started.
  • You need to post at least 3 WIP screenshots that clearly shows the progress of what you are working on.
  • The total playtime can be no shorter than 20 minutes, and must not exceed 50 minutes (not including cinematics). This is based on a normal skill level and does not account for bad people who die often.
  • You must create at least one completely custom hero with triggered spells. There is no need to use imported models (although it is encouraged) as long as the hero is not a classic Warcraft 3 hero. You are NOT allowed to use spells already available at the spells section or from any other Warcraft 3 modding site (systems like a DDS, Unit indexers etc. are allowed).

Mini-Map 16 Section.png
  • There must be a respawn system in place so you don't have to restart the map if you die.
  • You can not use a map template from the map templates section.
  • Your map must be; Bug-free with absolutely NO game breaking bugs, lag free on up to date gaming computers(slight lag is acceptable in cinematics), periodic timers and other high frequency triggers must be leak free. Icons, models and textures must be properly imported and optimized for Warcraft 3 (No green icons or wow models with messed up animations etc).
  • You may team up with one more person, but no teams over 2 people are allowed.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 5 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

GameplayThe fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player? e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?/20
AestheticsIs it good looking terrain-wise? How polished are the details such as preview pictures, title, in-game texts and icons?/30
TriggersDoes the map run well performance-wise? Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc./10
/60

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on the 4th of January, 2020 and conclude at 00:00 on the 1st of March, 2020 GMT.

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.

From what I can see, the theme is vague so far. What's the exact theme of the contest? Hosts must put a sub-title to the thematic part.
Forgive me, I have never hosted a contest before. I deliberately omitted the theme as I wanted each player to take their own individual artistic approach. The theme as far as map type goes at least is a linear RPG-ish, story driven map with a boss fight at the end.

If I must put a more specific theme then I can do that of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~

other_entries-png.311509

[tr][/tr]

Last edited:
@FeelsGoodMan, uhg such an evil temptation to invite me to this. I am so busy creating a new DnD campaign world, classes and cultures, just accepted Mythic's invite for the special effect contest and more.... buuuuuuttt this is finally my kind of contest in every way. *internal conflict noises* There is an 80% probability that I will join. I'll just have to turn Mythic's special effect entry into a hero spell or something lol.

@FeelsGoodMan, uhg such an evil temptation to invite me to this. I am so busy creating a new DnD campaign world, classes and cultures, just accepted Mythic's invite for the special effect contest and more.... buuuuuuttt this is finally my kind of contest in every way. *internal conflict noises* There is an 80% probability that I will join. I'll just have to turn Mythic's special effect entry into a hero spell or something lol.
Great! :D

Is it allowed for the participant to use systems, the participant made himself and uploaded at an earlier date on hive spell section?
You can use any system you want, made by you or anyone else. You can't use spells from the spells section. I know people upload systems to the spell section, but systems aren't really spells so I don't count them as such.

Damage engine, projectile systems, unit indexers, movement systems, and such are totally fine.

Level 21
I'll try to produce something. :) I have few fun ideas.

Are we allowed to have more than just one boss fight?
And when you mention "projectile system", I'm thinking about one of the available customizable multishot spells. Would that one go under systems or spells?

Last edited:
Level 19
Thanks, your castle looks great as well!

A mini mapping / level design contest with a focus on making beautiful, playable terrain, hero design and boss fights.
I'd asume so as it says boss fights, I'm planning on having more than one.

That's great!
Yep no problem.
And when you mention "projectile system", I'm thinking about one of the customizable multishot spells. Would that one go under systems or spells?
Hmm that's in the gray zone I feel. How much customization are we talking about, and what multishot spell?

Like the one by Redscores , which could be used by bosses (like a bullethell) for example, or like a customizable ability for the hero (through levels and items). I would essentially change everything about it, but still keep the core gui triggers. It's your call :)
Ok should be fine :p

Level 11
Great for seeing a new mapping contest get hosted. It a good time for me since I will have almost full free time after a week, I am up to participate in the contest. Though would prefer team up with someone else instead of joining alone.

Wondering if anyone would like to team up with me... @Chaosy pinging you as you seem to be the only one interested in team up.

o_O those kind of screenshots after the contest has only been open 1 day lol. In the words of Chaosy RIP. Anyway, I was intending to compete with a reforged map but everyone else appears to be running classic - would my entry be invalid? Lastly it says the main hero shouldn't be a classic war3 hero. I was intending on using non-kael W3Reforged blood mage for my hero, does that work?

o_O those kind of screenshots after the contest has only been open 1 day lol.
Haha I really need to sleep soon :D
Anyway, I was intending to compete with a reforged map but everyone else appears to be running classic - would my entry be invalid?
Hmm I haven't really specified if we were doing Reforged or Classic, but seeing as Reforged isn't officially released I would go with Classic to be safe if I were you. If you have started already then I guess it's fine, but if not then I would suggest doing Classic.
Lastly it says the main hero shouldn't be a classic war3 hero. I was intending on using non-kael W3Reforged blood mage for my hero, does that work?
I'm thinking about the spells, not the actual hero model :p

Status
Not open for further replies.