• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini-Mapping Contest #19 - Boss Fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

mini-png.373705

mapping-png.373707

contest-png.373719
png.373678
1-png.373674
9-png.373681

mmc19-logo.png

The contestants must choose one of the arenas submitted in the Level Design Contest #1 - Boss Fight Arena to create one or more bosses as part of one or two boss fights.

Each boss fight can have a maximum of two phases, and all arenas in the map you choose must be utilized. There must be a very short intro cinematic (not over 30 seconds) which will not affect your final score, and is purely for immersion and creative outlet. The contestants must create at least 1 hero, up to a maximum of 3 heroes. All the heroes must have custom abilities.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• All submissions and all resources contained within the map must adhere to all of Hiveworkshop's rules.
  • You cannot start working on your submission before the contest has officially started.
  • You must post at least 3 Work-in-Progress media (images/videos) that clearly show your progress.
  • Only SD entries are allowed, and this is made with the latest patch in mind. You may create your map in another patch, but the final submissions will be reviewed using the latest patch. The judges are not responsible for any version incompatibilities. Should you wish to have your map adapted to the latest patch you can do that, as long as you ask a mod or Hive staff member to do it. The person who adapts the map can only make sure things are looking as they should, and may not fix already existing errors, add more to the map or in any direct or indirect way contribute to making the map different from how the original author made it.
  • There must be a respawn system in place so you don't have to restart the map if you die.
  • You must use a template map that was submitted as entry in the Level Design Contest #1 - Boss Fight Arena.
  • Both arenas in the map you choose must be utilized.
  • You must create an intro cinematic with a run-time of less than or equal to 30 seconds.
  • Your final submission must be posted in this thread, not in the template section. This is because the arenas already exists in the template section so we should avoid duplicate entries.
  • You are not allowed to make major changes to the layout or terrain. Changes to map-included mechanics is allowed.
  • You are not allowed to get custom spells from the spells section, but you are allowed to use projectile systems, damage engines, and other utility systems to base your spells and systems on.
  • Contestants must create at least 1 hero, up to a maximum of 3 heroes (more heroes may be harder for potential players (and judges) to manage, which may affect your final score so its suggested not making more than 2). All the heroes must have custom abilities (They can be "re-skinned" Warcraft III abilities as long as they're not 100% vanilla).
  • Your map must be; Bug-free with absolutely NO game breaking bugs, lag free on up to date gaming computers (slight lag is acceptable in cinematics), periodic timers and other high frequency triggers must be leak free. Icons, models and textures must be properly imported and optimized for Warcraft 3 (No green icons or wow models with messed up animations, etc).
  • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
  • Teamwork - physically working on someone else's entry - is not allowed.
    • Feedback and testing aren't considered teamwork and are welcome.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points
  • 2nd place: 600 experience points
  • 3rd place: 450 experience points
  • Entry: 150 experience points
  • Judge: 25 experience points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

GameplayHow well made was the actual boss fight? Was it an engaging fight where various tactics had to be employed to defeat the boss? How was the balancing?/40
TechnicalWere the triggers well made, and leak free? Was there any lag? How smoothly did everything run?/25
UtilizationHow well were the arenas utilized? Were the map mechanics used?/25
SoundsWere fitting sound effects and music used in a good way? Was the soundscape immersive?/10
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th September 2021 and conclude on 18th October 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Riki

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
I might join this one, I have ideas for most of the maps already. I feel like the one made by @FeelsGoodMan might be the most fit into my idea, but I'm not sure if I want to go with the already winner and not be able to make what it deserves. Also, @FeelsGoodMan, what makes a different boss on the same boss fight? Like, if I take your template as an example and make an angel for heaven and some demon for hell, they count as the same bossfight?

other_entries-png.311509

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, @FeelsGoodMan, what makes a different boss on the same boss fight? Like, if I take your template as an example and make an angel for heaven and some demon for hell, they count as the same bossfight?
I guess they will have to be a part of the same "sequence". Meaning that you don't kill one boss in the angel arena and then proceed to kill another boss as part of a separate fight in the hell arena. There needs to be some sort of connection between the two fights, even though they're not similar.

I may scrap that part and just let people decide by themselves.

Level 11
I guess they will have to be a part of the same "sequence". Meaning that you don't kill one boss in the angel arena and then proceed to kill another boss as part of a separate fight in the hell arena. There needs to be some sort of connection between the two fights, even though they're not similar.

I may scrap that part and just let people decide by themselves.
So adding a cohesive mechanic between them (like a timer to death that is shared between both arenas) or making it without a breath (like the transition being a short cinematic so you can't prepare for the next zone) should be enough?

So adding a cohesive mechanic between them (like a timer to death that is shared between both arenas) or making it without a breath (like the transition being a short cinematic so you can't prepare for the next zone) should be enough?
I changed the rules to be one or two boss fights. That way people have more freedom.

I was about to ask the same thing. Is this alive and approved? Anyone else will join? Might I already begin, or I must wait a little bit more?
It's alive, but not technically approved. I know @Riki is absent at the moment, which means @Kyrbi0 will need to approve it.

I want to begin making stuff as well.

I'm finally home again, so let's get this started.

The dates have been adjusted and the contest is approved.
Thanks!

I have a UI system that I have started working on before the contest was official. It is not really intended for the contest, it is only a system I made to practice frame creation and learning how to make things. It will be released to the spells section when it's done. May I use the UI for this contest? I am only referring to the actual UI, not any spells or character/enemy mechanics that will be included in the arena. If I can't use it that's fine, then I will recreate it from scratch.

Level 27
Thanks!

I have a UI system that I have started working on before the contest was official. It is not really intended for the contest, it is only a system I made to practice frame creation and learning how to make things. It will be released to the spells section when it's done. May I use the UI for this contest? I am only referring to the actual UI, not any spells or character/enemy mechanics that will be included in the arena. If I can't use it that's fine, then I will recreate it from scratch.

I will quote this rule:
You are not allowed to get custom spells from the spells section, but you are allowed to use projectile systems, damage engines, and other utility systems to base your spells and systems on.

Yours sounds like a system for a utility function, and not specific for the contest. What I mean is that since it is something that is not exclusive to your entry (like an specific spell/mechanic) but a general system, which can be uploaded to the Spells section for everyone to use, it should not give you issues, although as always everyone is encouraged to create most of their entries from scratch.

In my opinion, you should make some modifications to ensure that, being you the creator, it is more specific to the contest in this case, thus avoiding problems later.

I will quote this rule:

Yours sounds like a system for a utility function, and not specific for the contest. What I mean is that since it is something that is not exclusive to your entry (like an specific spell/mechanic) but a general system, which can be uploaded to the Spells section for everyone to use, it should not give you issues, although as always everyone is encouraged to create most of their entries from scratch.

In my opinion, you should make some modifications to ensure that, being you the creator, it is more specific to the contest in this case, thus avoiding problems later.
Great! I will personalize it a bit then, and make it specific to the contest. Thanks for the clarification.

I have finished implementing the UI system. I have still not figured out what spells, boss, tactics, mechanics and other things to make, but hopefully I'll get some inspiration soon enough.

The UI system supports health/mana bars, stacks of 'something', advanced custom targeting with the mouse button and TAB that selects the closest enemy unit, casting bars that takes longer to cast if you take damage (not shown in the video, I forgot to implement the damage engine) and can also be interrupted/cancelled by stuns, by moving while casting or by other spells.

To everyone who picked my template (if anyone); There is a bug with the imported texture Felwood poison that causes inexplicable crashes (even when the texture is not present in the map at all). To fix this simply delete the texture, and then use the following to enable alpha ground;
  • Initialization
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Visibility - Show Terrain: False

Are there any more WIPs or are only Me and @Cokemonkey11 competing? Would be nice to see some more people joining in on this.

I have spent the last days on improving the boss models, fixing animations, and just tons of improvements to make spells creation easier without lots of triggered/scripted animation playing/queueing.

Meet Samael the Lightbringer, Saint Michael and Saint Samichael the Lightbringer (or something lol).
Screenshot_2.png

Level 11
Are there any more WIPs or are only Me and @Cokemonkey11 competing? Would be nice to see some more people joining in on this.

I have spent the last days on improving the boss models, fixing animations, and just tons of improvements to make spells creation easier without lots of triggered/scripted animation playing/queueing.

Meet Samael the Lightbringer, Saint Michael and Saint Samichael the Lightbringer (or something lol).
I was planning to participate and use your template, sadly I'm pretty busy right now irl so idk if I'll have time for it.

Level 14
Decided to try and compete in this contest as well, using Riki's Winterheart Temple as the template. So far I've mostly done the player's hero which will be Arthas in his prime as the lich king and heavily based off how he appeared in WoW. I have a few ideas for bosses, but thinking I might go with fast-paced fights featuring a boatload of adds to fight through that will help Arthas sustain himself through his abilities.

The abilities so far have been done but are subject to change (especially the numbers!)

Arthas, Lich King

Frostmourne's Hunger

Remorseless Winter

Ice Shell

Life Siphon

Harvest Soul

latest
Arthas has balanced stats and an incredible amount of utility given by his spells that also allow him to survive and deal heavy amounts of damage. All that's really missing in his toolkit is a spell for movement, such as a dash. Depending on how the boss fight(s) develops I may or may not add a backdash ability.

latest
Mana Cost: 0
Cooldown: 3 seconds
Type: Instant

Your next attack will deal 4x damage.

latest
Mana Cost: 200
Cooldown: 30 seconds

Passively deals 300 damage per second to nearby enemies. Lasts 30 seconds.

latest

Mana Cost: 50
Cooldown: 0 seconds
Type: Channeling

Encases Arthas in a protective layer of ice that absorbs up to 1 500 damage.

latest
Mana Cost: 100
Cooldown: 8 seconds
Type: Instant, Point Cast

Drains up to 1 500 health from an enemy in the target point and restores health to the Lich King up to twice the amount drained.
Bossfight2.png

latest
Mana Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A
Type: Passive

When the Lich King kills an enemy they will drop a soul. Walking near a soul will instantly consume it to restore up to 75 mana to the Lich King.

Decided to try and compete in this contest as well, using Riki's Winterheart Temple as the template. So far I've mostly done the player's hero which will be Arthas in his prime as the lich king and heavily based off how he appeared in WoW. I have a few ideas for bosses, but thinking I might go with fast-paced fights featuring a boatload of adds to fight through that will help Arthas sustain himself through his abilities.

The abilities so far have been done but are subject to change (especially the numbers!)

Arthas, Lich King

Frostmourne's Hunger

Remorseless Winter

Ice Shell

Life Siphon

Harvest Soul

latest
Arthas has balanced stats and an incredible amount of utility given by his spells that also allow him to survive and deal heavy amounts of damage. All that's really missing in his toolkit is a spell for movement, such as a dash. Depending on how the boss fight(s) develops I may or may not add a backdash ability.

latest
Mana Cost: 0
Cooldown: 3 seconds

Your next attack will deal 4x damage.

latest
Mana Cost: 200
Cooldown: 30 seconds

Passively deals 300 damage per second to nearby enemies. Lasts 30 seconds.

latest

Mana Cost: 50
Cooldown: 0 seconds
Type: Channeling

Encases Arthas in a protective layer of ice that absorbs up to 1 500 damage.

latest
Mana Cost: 100
Cooldown: 8 seconds
Type: Instant, Point Cast

Drains up to 1 500 health from an enemy in the target point and restores health to the Lich King up to twice the amount drained.

latest
Mana Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A
Type: Passive

When the Lich King kills an enemy they will drop a soul. Walking near a soul will instantly consume it to restore up to 75 mana to the Lich King.
Awesome! I'm happy to see more people competing.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Revealing protagonist skills:

XxEwZWP.png
Sylvanas the ranger -- a kind of archer/rogue/survivalist
29cHDjC.png
Attack (Archer): Loose an arrow in the target direction.
OtdN34U.png
Flurry: Looses a flurry of arrows in every direction, each dealing damage based on
Ranger's attack power.
iQlc3nW.png
Saggitus Argentus: For 5 seconds, magically plates arrows with silver, dealing
bonus damage to undead units and preventing slain ones from reanimating. Sylvanas also
reloads basic attacks more swiftly.
QH8BY91.png
Volley: Fires arrows in the target direction while chananeling. Attack rate
increases dramatically as the channel continues.
zLBsv8F.png
Rogue Abilities / Archer Abilities: Switch abilities and hotkeys to Sylvanas' melee
rogue/ranged archer abilities.
29cHDjC.png
Attack (Rogue): Whirl and slash adjacent enemies. Dashes forwards slightly. Can be
multi-cast up to three times for combos.
z2gIlET.png
Magic Blade: Sylvanas' blade seeks to cull the weak. Dashes to the target unit and
strikes it. If the target is slain, Magic Blade's cooldown resets.
jq1v0KZ.png
Bloodbath: After channeling briefly, all rogue attacks have significant life steal
for a time, and enemies are mutilated; they cannot reanimate. Cooldown resets after
slaying 10 enemies.
lL42GFr.png
Determination: Attacks the target unit rapidly, up to 15 times in 1 second. If the
target is slain, attacks continue on adjacent enemies until there are none left or all 15
attacks are attempted.

Progress:

• Cinematic: 100%
  • Hero: 95%
  • Map/Framework/Systems: 70%
  • Boss: 0%

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
As there are only a few days left, uploading a pre-release. I plan to do more work on this - however, consider this an entry in case I do not come with a newer version in time!

I will publicise the code repo when contest terminates to comply with the "open source map" policy

• Map/Framework/Systems: 95%
  • Boss: 75%
2361 lines of wurst

Attachments

• (1)KillKatydma0.0.1.w3x
    5.7 MB · Views: 22
As there are only a few days left, uploading a pre-release. I plan to do more work on this - however, consider this an entry in case I do not come with a newer version in time!

I will publicise the code repo when contest terminates to comply with the "open source map" policy

• Map/Framework/Systems: 95%
  • Boss: 75%
2361 lines of wurst
Nice to see a submission already!

I'd like to ask @Riki for a 2 week extension if possible. I'm getting closer to completion, but there are still lots of stuff that needs to be tied up before I'm ready to release anything. Hopefully it can be granted. If not I'm gonna have to release it in an unfinished state.

Level 27
Nice to see a submission already!

I'd like to ask @Riki for a 2 week extension if possible. I'm getting closer to completion, but there are still lots of stuff that needs to be tied up before I'm ready to release anything. Hopefully it can be granted. If not I'm gonna have to release it in an unfinished state.
From the beginning the duration of the contest seemed a bit short, but I decided to wait until the end before deciding whether to give an extension. New deadline will be October 18.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
Hey @FeelsGoodMan @Riki

I've been saying this for years and I'll say it again: not everyone has arbitrary time to game and mod to accommodatelast last minute deadline changes. This kind of change is a perverse incentive for poor project and time management.

I'm not saying i wouldn't accept a deadline extension, but i am saying that this extension is a huge middle finger from you to me with a message "your time doesn't matter"

You should never change a contest deadline without overwhelming consensus from contest participants.

Hey @FeelsGoodMan @Riki

I've been saying this for years and I'll say it again: not everyone has arbitrary time to game and mod to accommodatelast last minute deadline changes. This kind of change is a perverse incentive for poor project and time management.

I'm not saying i wouldn't accept a deadline extension, but i am saying that this extension is a huge middle finger from you to me with a message "your time doesn't matter"

You should never change a contest deadline without overwhelming consensus from contest participants.
I'm sorry you feel that way, personally I think extensions in arena contests are fairly normal at this point. Normally I finish before the deadline, and have never really been bothered by the extensions (I have accepted that this is simply how it is in contests).

I think since modding is a hobby and everyone have varying degrees of free time on their hands some leniency in terms of deadlines should be granted. Being overly strict about it will lead to unfinished submissions, which in turn benefits no-one.

It was mentioned by me earlier as a reply to Leods though, that an extension might be needed/necessary so you did have time to object to it. With that being said, I'll try my best to complete my submission within the deadline, but I have no guarantees unfortunately. Let's see when the time comes.

Level 27
Yes, I have to admit that I was responsible for this for not having extended the deadline from the beginning despite knowing that it was very little time for the contestants.

It was necessary to extend it but I decided to wait until the last week to see how things were going, and since no one has finished their entry with only 3 days left, it is time to give that extension now.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I can understand where you come from Cokemonkey. But I think we are forgetting what the #1 reason for contests is. To have fun and to improve our skills. Extensions can help with this.

While having said that. I agree with this:

Hey @FeelsGoodMan @Riki

You got it all wrong. Having a deadline postponed helps everyone (yes, even YOU, who are not finished). You don't know what everyone else is up to, to judge their lack of time as "poor project and time management". Some of us are lucky to have free time, some aren't (work, kids, holidays, or whatever the reason).

Status
Not open for further replies.