1. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Boss Fight (Any Patch)

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Leods, May 21, 2020.

?

Which patch should be required?

Poll closed May 31, 2020.
  1. Non-Reforged, any patch

10.0%
  2. Reforged, last patch

5.0%
  3. Any patch and version

35.0%
  4. Non reforged, last patch

35.0%
  5. Non reforged, minimum patch (1.28, per example)

15.0%
  1. Sclammerz

Sclammerz

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Subscribing, perhaps I can participate this time around.

2. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sadly, it didn't even started yet. Mythic still trying to find judges.
    When the contest starts, I will add a month to the deadline from the first day, i think that would be time enough.

3. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello guys. :) I haven't found a judge who has Reforged. The ones who have signed on only have as far as 1.31. Will those who have Reforged be willing to get a copy of 1.31 to participate?

4. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Since nobody has stepped forward willing to be judges I have decided to withdraw from participating, and rather be a judge.
    [​IMG]

Good luck to all.

5. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Didnt we have enough judges already?
    Man, this was your idea, then you will participate :) .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Hm, what do you mean?
    It actually suits me fine since I'm working on something else at the moment and I am dedicating a lot of time to that.

7. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, for the old gods, i miswritted. I mean "judges", not "bosses", i was just thinking on what boss would i do, and things kinda mixed.

8. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Leods we did have two folks sign on to judge 1.31, but now I'm back to finding judges with Reforged, so everyone can join in. :)

9. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Criteria has been changed to two classes for two players. No teamwork.

Contest approved. :) Good luck, fellas!

10. Boar

Boar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm, first post mentions "teams" but no "teams" are allowed? Working with a friend of mine we could make some hot stuff

11. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Corrected, thanks!

Optionally paired contests are being phased out in favor of a more level playing field.

12. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry for making a mess of your contest thread with my mini-rant but what the f- is going on with the (sub-)theme?
    • Why exactly for two players?
    • Why exactly 2 phases (what defines a phase exactly, anyway, giving the boss an additional ability)?
    • Why exactly 2 classes (what defines a class, different abilities, ranged vs melee attacks?
    • Why does a boss battle need a "beautiful" terrain and how do you define this so that people who make a non-beautiful terrain can be disqualified?
    Look - I like the number 2 as much as the next guy but the stupidity of this very narrowly defined set of rules only succeeds in limiting the creativity of participants to the point that I don't know why any of the above actually made it past an initial draft.

That said, I do think that boss battle is a good theme in general... with a less invasive set of rules to go with it.

[/rant]

13. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    It was three players initially.
    Would you ask the same if it was 3 or 4 phases? Are you asking why there are phases at all? It is to make the submissions more interesting. Phases can be many things. Change of environment, more rapid attacks, other spells, change of physical form. Think for yourself.
    1 class per player, obviously. Any more will make it a living hell for judges to test the different synergies. Read about classes.
    Because it adds another level of immersion to the boss fight. Having stunning scenery and a vibrant arena where you can interact with your environment as a part of the boss fight is awesome. You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain.
    The number 2 is based on the amount of judges. It was initially 3.
    I'm sorry you don't have sufficient creativity.
    Not sure what I can do with your huge phobia of the number 2.

14. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Okay, and the justification for this is that the two judges are able to play it together properly without having to find a nth player? Honest question really and this does make some sense, were it not for the fact that singleplayer maps would be equally playable.

I would say the same if it were 0 -> N phases. This is such an unnecessary rule and already tells the contestant what kind of boss battle to make for no apparent reason. Either you want to make a phased boss battle in which case I don't see why 2 is the perfect number versus 3 or 4 or any other number, or you don't want to make a phased boss battle in which case you are now disqualified to participate.

No, that's not an answer. Define class in the context of this contest. I don't care what wikipedia says about classes in RPG games in general. What if I copy the same player unit and change the primary attribute from STR to INT? Now you might find me very autistic (or if that's insensitive perhaps pedantic) but when you write rules they should be easy and clear to understand for the participant, with minimum to zero risk of misunderstandings that lead to disqualification.

"The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain"
    "You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain."
    Clear.
    On another note, perhaps it makes more sense to emphasize that the arena should make for a good boss fight, but hey.

Got me there.

15. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Yes, the idea is that the judges will play it together. While single player maps are equally playable the idea was to have a fight based on teamwork and synergies.
    You're obsessing over numbers as if those numbers were meticulously chosen. The numbers are just random numbers, don't read too much into it. It's a boss fight with phases, that's all. How you wish to incorporate another phase is entirely up to you. It's not limiting in any way, shape or form.
    No you won't be disqualified... You will probably lose some points, which puts you at a disadvantage, but you will most probably not be disqualified.
    Don't make it more complicated than it needs be. Everyone here knows what a class is. How you make your class is up to you. If you change STR to INT and call it a day expect to get 0 votes and a low judge score.
    You're clearly new to contests so let me explain. If you make a bland no-effort one-tile terrain you won't be disqualified but you will get a low score on that specific aspect.
    Sure did.

16. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You should take wc3 heroes as an example of this. Each class should have a statistic coordinated to his spells, to make them combine as much as possible

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  17. lolreported

lolreported

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I might cook something up if I get the spare time for it, a month to the deadline seems a bit short though; even if a boss and two heroes shouldn't require much effort depending on how complex one would want it to be.

18. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sounds fun. You should have set the contest up in a way that would have allowed you to compile all entries together! Could have made for an epic community map :p

19. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    I think that would have limited some entries since Lua and JASS can't coexist. So that would force people to use a language they don't prefer.

20. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't have so much experience for this type of contest, but the theme seems very interesting so I'll join.

I hope to finish before the deadline without problems.