• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Boss Fight (Any Patch)

Which patch should be required?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with that, it will be interesting to see the different ways we do it!

Also, here are a couple more WIPs:

WC3ScrnShot_081920_024204_001.png
WC3ScrnShot_081920_024226_001.png

Last edited:
Level 11
Guys, all this is looking great!

I see it's WIP time, so let's go.
WC3ScrnShot_081920_175538_02.jpg WC3ScrnShot_081920_174831_02.jpg WC3ScrnShot_081920_174824_01.jpg
As you can see, the boss is Deathwing. It's a little regular, but I think I have some good ideas for it. The heroes are a Red dragon (dps/healer) and a blue dragon (spellcaster dps), the tank role should be divided between both.
At the beggining, `players will have a minute to buy some stuff, and then they will be throwed to the boss's 1st phase, that involves the entire map. There is much more there (that you should play to see :) ), but, as a base, the boss will bechaoticly moving around the entire map, fighting against what attacks him, but not being too much aggresive. Because of his metallical armor, he will have an insane armor, so players will only end first phase when they manage to destroy all the armor pieces.
The players aren't alone (they would have a fast death). Every 30 seconds, they will receive 1 of the Dragon blessing, coming from the dragonflight leaders (Thrall takes the place of Deathwing), that gives them extremely powerful buffs.

Also, I am working on a new moving/attacking/everything system. It isn't as complex as other things I have seen there, but hope it will make the map a little bit more interesting.

I hadn’t thought of it that way. I guess I could use If/Then/Else Actions to check conditions and activate phase specific actions for all phases in the same trigger. I had been using a periodic condition checking trigger for each individual phase. The reason I have triggers for each region is I am spawning a different creep unit at each region. I suppose I could use If/Then/Else triggers for that too, though. Just wasn’t sure how long triggers should be without being too clunky. I will have to play around with this! Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Level 11
Finished one of the three rooms where the boss will teleport randomly and morph after taking X amount of damage. The map will probably be called The Waterworks (maybe -worx/-jerks) and it will be about two pest control employees dealing with an Old God growing in the sewers.

Attachments

• boss2.jpg
    boss2.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 178
  • boss3.jpg
    boss3.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 164
  • boss4.jpg
    boss4.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 160
  • boss5.jpg
    boss5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 168
Level 27
It's time for my second WIP, this time is the description of one of the Heroes.

Arivan Dawnbright
BTN_Cr_HEROBLOOD.png
Class: Lightbringer (Paladin)
Role: Tank / Support

BTNSpell_holy_healingaura.png
Absolution (Q)Unleashes bursts of Light on nearby allies, instantly healing each for a percentage of their missing hit points and removing negative buffs. After that, the affected units will be healed for extra hit points and mana over a short duration.
BTNSpell_holy_sealofwrath.png
Seal of Judgment (W)Judges the target, dealing a percentage of its maximum hit points as Magical damage. The target will take increased damage from Physical and Pure sources and have a chance to miss on attacks during a short duration
BTNAbility_paladin_artofwar.png
Crusader's Verdict (E)The Hero sacrifices a part of his current hit points to deal a percentage of his attack damage as Magical Damage to the target enemy. The Hero will gain the buff Crusade, which gives increased attack speed and immunity to damage for a short duration.
BTNSpell_holy_divineprotection.png
Sacred Barrier (R)Creates a barrier of holy light that links the target ally to the Lightbringer. While active, the target unit will redirect a percentage of all damage taken to the Lightbringer as Physical damage.
ATCAbility_paladin_veneration.png
Virtuous Faith (F)Increases all damage and healing the Lightbringer deals while active.
PASAbility_paladin_divinestorm.png
Holy Strike (Passive)Attacks have a chance of becoming a Holy Strike, dealing additional Physical damage in a small area around the attacked unit.
PASAbility_paladin_gaurdedbythelight.png
Sanctuary (Passive)Each time the Lightbringer receives damage, he has a chance to release holy essence that heals nearby allies.

Level 11
I guess it isn't, the rules says "physically working on an entry", but doesn't talk about playing that entry. I guess, as long as they don't open the map on WE, that doesn't count as teamwork.

Should I include some triggers for map initialization for player 2 to make it easier to play the map solo as well? I’ve been testing solo and I have to kite the boss to player 2 for the hero to engage but it works and I figured it was mostly a multiplayer experience anyway. If adding a move/attack to point trigger at initialization for player 2 is within the rules I can include it, though.

Level 27
Finally deciding that my entry will be called "The Shrine of Duredhel".

Also, here is another WIP, now about the 2nd Hero (some of the spells were a headache). I accidentally created what appears to be a new hybrid class while I was making those abilities.

Syndra Flameheart
BTNValeeraSanguinar.png
Class: Bladedancer (Rogue / Monk hybrid)
Role: DPS

BTNEtheralBird.png
Eagle Dance (Q)Unleashes multiple lightning fast attacks on multiple targets, dealing Physical damage on each. Teleports the Hero to the target point after the dance is over. Generates Blade Fury points.

If used with max Blade Fury points, it will strike 1 extra time.
BTNAbility_hunter_cobrastrikes.png
Snake Dance (W)An attack that causes crippling pain, dealing Physical damage and reducing its victim's attack damage and movement speed for some seconds. Generates Blade Fury points.

If used with max Blade Fury points, the Hero will life-steal for a part of the damage dealt.
BTNAbility_monk_summontigerstatue.png
Tiger Dance (E)Focusing her strength in a single hit, the Bladedancer performs an armor-piercing attack, dealing Physical damage to one enemy and mini-stunning it. Generates Blade Fury points.

If used with max Blade Fury points, it will stun more seconds.
BTNPhoenixDart.png
Phoenix Dance (R)The Bladedancer transforms her inner fury into a flaming phoenix, dealing Physical damage to all enemies around her. Generates Blade Fury points.

If used with max Blade Fury points, it will deal damage on a higher aoe.
BTNAbility_monk_summonserpentstatue.png
Wyrm Dance (F)A devastating finishing move. The Bladedancer channels all of her fury and unleashes a giant dragon-shaped shockwave in the selected direction, dealing Pure damage to all enemies on its path.
When used, all of the current Blade Fury points will be spent to improve damage and travel distance.
PASBlink Strike.png
Shadow Dance (Passive)When the Hero receives or deals damage from an enemy unit, she has a chance of apply a Shadow Mark on it. Enemies with a Shadow Mark will be silenced and receive Pure damage from Bladedancer's basic abilities.
With max Blade Fury points, the Hero's attacks on a marked enemy have a chance of create an invulnerable illusion of her.
PAS_CR_Bladestorm.png
Blade Fury (Passive)Bladedancer's abilities generate Blade Fury points. Each point grants an additional passive bonus while active or can be spent to enhance the power of Wyrm Dance. A maximum of 5 Blade Fury points can be active at the same time. The points lasts for a few seconds or until spent.

If adding a move/attack to point trigger at initialization for player 2 is within the rules I can include it, though.
Not against the rules. Go for it. :)

You could check if P2 is Computer-controlled before issuing the order, so it wouldn't affect a human player's gameplay.

Level 35
After some unforeseen events (and mainly due to my lack of terraining skill), here is a WIP of the basic terrain from my entry. There's a lot of work still to be done.

Just happened to stop by to check out the going on's of the mini-mapping contest and what in the god damn hell is this? Basic skills? That looks absolutely amazing. And that's your first terrain? Damn, nice work :)

Level 27
Just happened to stop by to check out the going on's of the mini-mapping contest and what in the god damn hell is this? Basic skills? That looks absolutely amazing. And that's your first terrain? Damn, nice work :)
Yes, it sounds a bit unbelievable but this is my first attempt creating a terrain.

Although you should imagine how many tutorials I read to reach that result :D

Yes, it sounds a bit unbelievable but this is my first attempt creating a terrain.

Although you should imagine how many tutorials I read to reach that result :D

It looks really good!

Btw, looking forward to seeing how you did the floating terrain effect when the map is released!

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
Considering to join, although late. If anyone is down to team up send a PM, I can do either code or terrain but prefer to just focus on one aspect to save time.
Sorry chaosy (i would be glad to make a team with a good terrainer/coder :) ), but teamwork isn't allowed.
Otherwise, we can talk about an extension, fot the ones that are joinimg late or had some issues. What do you think about that, @Mythic ?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Sorry chaosy (i would be glad to make a team with a good terrainer/coder :) ), but teamwork isn't allowed.
oh?
I read some of the earlier posts where it mentioned optionally paired. what changed?

Unfortunately I had serious problems with my pc, so I had to format it and lost almost everything, including my entry.

So I will not be able to continue if there's not an extension as I will have to start all over again. :(

Let this be a lesson to always backup your stuff on the cloud such as google drive for free.
In my case I upload my bigger projects to github.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Level 27
Hey guys!, I found a hidden copy of my entry in the backup I made before formatting. Although some of the latest changes to the terrain were missing I already managed to recreate them,
so luckily I will continue without problems (and this time I'll be more careful).

By the way, here is a new WIP of how my terrain is looking at the moment.

a.PNG
b.PNG
c.PNG

Level 11
It's going great, I already finished the store, the trash and the Boss battle itself, so now i have to do hero spells, and improve visual aspects and equilibration stuff.
That makes me wonder, what do you use to make the videos?

Level 21
@Leods Up until patch 1.31 I was using Fraps, which worked great imo. Then, as soon as 1.32 dropped, Fraps wouldn't recognize the game. I'm sure there's a fix for it somewhere, but I chose to switch to OBS Studio instead. So far it's been working great (aside for some stuttering issues).

Level 29
hey guys, If I may post this:

this contest is great (didnt join because I was busy in the melee contest), but is really nice that this contest requires good trigger work and theme/terraining design.

so regarding the futre: when this contest is over:

those who are trigger experts, may wish to participate in the Techtree contest 16.
Techtree Contest #16 Theme Discussion
its already posted that Techtree contest will start after the minimaping contest ends.

but those interested in pure terrain design may wish to participate in the Terraining contest 22.
Terraining contest 22 - theme poll
I want to point that last terraining contest 21 was in 2019, and there was no terraining contest in 2020,
so I am wishing that terrainers may be interested to keep the terraining contest trayectory alive.

good luck with your boss fights entries!!

Status
Not open for further replies.