• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini Mapping Contest #16 - Mini RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Water Elemental for a summoning spell, but use triggers to mask it and make it more interesting.
This is still allowed though. You can alter Warcraft 3 spells with triggers to make them more interesting etc, but they need to be modified quite drastically on the visual side or else it can kind of be taken for a classic Warcraft ability.

Level 21
I see! Then I'll have to make some changes. I was using berserk as a dodge ability (negative values to absorb damage, short duration) but had additional stuff happen through triggers when casting it. Does this rule apply to summoned units as well?

I see! Then I'll have to make some changes. I was using berserk as a dodge ability (negative values to absorb damage, short duration) but had additional stuff happen through triggers when casting it. Does this rule apply to summoned units as well?
Nope, only to your main hero. He can have an ability that summons a classic Warcraft 3 unit as long as the summon ability itself is trigger enhanced.

Level 19
I've finished terraining the second area, one area left to terrain and I'll start working on cinematic(s) and boss encounters. :)

WIP13.png

Level 51
Gonna be a tough finish for me. Main quest needs yet to be finished, 2 abilities are missing and need to enhance all of them by triggers. Might just have to use classic abilities and get the decrease in points.
Overview of the map so far:

- 1 Main quest
- 3 Optional Quests
- Choices matter
- Very simple alchemy system (gather 2 herbs craft 1 potion)
- Simple 1 level Equipment upgrade
- Interacting Environment --> The world reacts to you. Npcs are not dead meat.

And don't expect any fancy bossfights from me :D Expect the worst actually lol.

Level 19
Gonna be a tough finish for me. Main quest needs yet to be finished, 2 abilities are missing and need to enhance all of them by triggers. Might just have to use classic abilities and get the decrease in points.
Overview of the map so far:

- 1 Main quest
- 3 Optional Quests
- Choices matter
- Very simple alchemy system (gather 2 herbs craft 1 potion)
- Simple 1 level Equipment upgrade

And don't expect any fancy bossfights from me :D Expect the worst actually lol.
Good luck, hope you manage to finish the map in time, the more submissions the better! It's over a month left until the deadline and plenty of time to plan out the work. :)

Level 11
I've finished terraining the second area, one area left to terrain and I'll start working on cinematic(s) and boss encounters. :)
Oh gods, i'm scared for your progress and the fast you are (you already sleep, man?). I definitely have to make it better.
Good luck to all, boys.
Hmm... That sounds good. I only have seen that on LoaP maps...

Everyone is using the choices thing? I don't have that for the story, just for the spells...

Level 51
Deadline is 16th of January right? Probably not enough time for me :/

Good luck, hope you manage to finish the map in time, the more submissions the better! It's over a month left until the deadline and plenty of time to plan out the work. :)

Woah, hold on guys... Is the deadline january or february now? Because after seeing dukes post and feelsgoosmans post confirming january, I worked to finish the map tomorrow.

Level 51
It's always been February. :p Duke simply misread. FeelsGoodMan corrected his own misreading here.

That's neat, then - plenty of time for you to finish up. :)

Good luck guys!

Haha yeah the deadline is in one month from today :p

Ah well.. so much for ignoring my gf the last few days

Glad to be able to polish it. Looking at it now, having it nearly done in 1 1/2 weeks is not a bad achiecement.

Level 11
The WIP i've promised a lot of time ago... I actually have a problem: For a strage reason, I can level-up an item-based with triggers, but i can't do the same with the other 2 (they are just like the one who works, but based on other item-skills). Someone knows why could this be happening? This is a relly important system.

WC3ScrnShot_011620_161526_01.jpg

The WIP i've promised a lot of time ago... I actually have a problem: For a strage reason, I can level-up an item-based with triggers, but i can't do the same with the other 2 (they are just like the one who works, but based on other item-skills). Someone knows why could this be happening? This is a relly important system.

View attachment 344745
Cool! :D

Post your triggers in the WE Help zone then I can see if I locate any issues. If not then someone more skilled will probably solve it anyway :p

Level 18
Ok, so I have 3 terrain skins from 2018, high quality. The thing is, I have no idea where I downloaded them from. Can't find them on Hive on wc3c, tryed in google without success.
So, will be fair if I use them without credit, cause I just don't know the author?
Here are files and jpgs (blp's are renamed because they replaced original warcraft tiles)

Attachments

• Grass.jpg
    Grass.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 67
  • GrassShort.jpg
    GrassShort.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 85
  • CobbleStone.jpg
    CobbleStone.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Ashen_GrassLumpy.blp
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
  • VillageFall_GrassShort.blp
    856.7 KB · Views: 36
  • VillageFall_StonePath.blp
    800.1 KB · Views: 48
So, will be fair if I use them without credit, cause I just don't know the author?
I think you should write something along the lines of "Author of resource XXXXX is unknown. If this resource is made by you, or you know who the author is please contact me so I can credit it accordingly".

EDIT: After having looked at the tiles I am pretty sure they are from here. The website is throwing an insecure website warning so click the link at your own risk.

Last edited:
Level 21
I’m FINALLY done with the combat and spell system. It literally made my head spin around at one point, but it turned out really good! I hope you guys will enjoy it :D

I’m done with the story, quests and dialogue (on paper), so now I know how to plan the terrain. This is my first WIP, note that things will get spiced up visually, but this is the atmosphere I’m going for:

WIP 1.png

@Ungoliath Sounds good, your WIP has been added to the entries list.

Update on my map;

• Terrain is done.
  • Final boss fight done.
  • Ideas for 3 mini-bosses thought out and partly implemented.
  • Hero 90% done (need to finish up one more spell).
  • Some cinematics done, but need to complete intro and outro cinematic.
  • Combat system done.
  • Puzzles are done.
What remains;

• Chest / item system.
  • Some cinematics.
  • Mini bosses 1, 2 and 3.
  • Some unit AI.
  • More unit spawns.
  • Balancing.
  • Other tweaks.

Me and my girlfriend are driving down south to spend the weekend at her parents house, so I probably won't get much done, unfortunately. I will still bring my computer though, a man needs some escape from the in-laws heh :p

Have a nice weekend and be sure to post a lot of WIPs!

Level 21
@Leods I'll record something when I get the time :) It's quite a lot, so I'll have to show some of the more basic stuff. It's all based around HEAVY customization through stats, items, which variation of a certain ability you use, and how you combine them. You also have a specific ability which serves as a tabula rasa, which you can transform into different shapes with different elements (each element has its own effects, damage and affect how you play)

Level 11
Ahh... Finally, i finished mi Hero, with his 12 triggered spells (and i don't fixed the item-based spells yet. I'm not sure about how to send the triggers, and the tutorial on the forum top doesn't helped me). The hero has 3 specializations: Fury, Fire and Death, each one with his different styles. You can combine the spells of all the specializations. Each time you level up, you obtain a certain benefit (lvls 1,3,6 and 10=new spells, you choose. Other levels=+3 to all stats, or +250HP and +6 damage. Here is the error, the +6 damage is the only spell who is updated by spells) Also, in levels 4,5,7,8 and 9 your spells will automatically be updated. The lvl 1 and 3 spells has 3 levels, the lvl 6 just 2, and the lvl 10 can't be updated (duh). I will edit this message to include screenshots tomorrow.

So was there a rule about making in reforged? it's not out yet, but it will be before the deadline.
There is no rule against it. @Veronnis is making his map in Reforged. I highly encourage people to make their stuff in classic though, as the graphics differ so much so it will be hard for judges not to be biased towards the Reforged maps.

Level 19
It's been a busy week, hopefully I'll manage to finish in time. I've finished the Introduction Cinematic and started working on the gameplay experience of the first area.

Also, Reforged releases this coming Tuesday with patch 1.32. I'm afraid this patch may cause major issues with our maps, if so, can we discuss to extend the deadline?

Here are some more WIPs:

WC3ScrnShot_012520_191315_01.png WC3ScrnShot_012520_191327_02.png WC3ScrnShot_012520_191334_03.png WC3ScrnShot_012520_191346_04.png WC3ScrnShot_012520_191415_06.png WC3ScrnShot_012520_191432_07.png

It's been a busy week, hopefully I'll manage to finish in time. I've finished the Introduction Cinematic and started working on the gameplay experience of the first area.

Also, Reforged releases this coming Tuesday with patch 1.32. I'm afraid this patch may cause major issues with our maps, if so, can we discuss to extend the deadline?

Here are some more WIPs:

View attachment 345369 View attachment 345370 View attachment 345371 View attachment 345372 View attachment 345373 View attachment 345374
Looks good!

Yeah if patch 1.32 fucks up our maps then I am sure @Heinvers would allow us an extension until any issues are manageable.

Let's hope it will all be smooth sailing though :p

Level 21
If the current Reforged beta editor is anything to go by, I suspect we might encounter a lot of issues with our maps. I tested mine today in the SD version of the editor and checked the "SD only" mode in map descriptions, and I encountered:
- Weird volume levels for custom sounds (some were insanely loud)
- Details and colors missing in special effects (glow effects seem absent, which affects custom lighting)
- Particle effects not loading properly in custom special effects (they appear as colored squares, one example is the trail effect of Orb of Wind showing up as floating gray boxes)
- A black box where the bottom part of the UI is located, the upper part works as intended (I've made the entire UI transparent by tweaking the alpha levels, which works perfectly in the current classic version)

Level 19
If the current Reforged beta editor is anything to go by, I suspect we might encounter a lot of issues with our maps. I tested mine today in the SD version of the editor and checked the "SD only" mode in map descriptions, and I encountered:
- Weird volume levels for custom sounds (some were insanely loud)
- Details and colors missing in special effects (glow effects seem absent, which affects custom lighting)
- Particle effects not loading properly in custom special effects (they appear as colored squares, one example is the trail effect of Orb of Wind showing up as floating gray boxes)
- A black box where the bottom part of the UI is located, the upper part works as intended (I've made the entire UI transparent by tweaking the alpha levels, which works perfectly in the current classic version)
Can confirm, I tested my map in the BETA and everything is broken currently. It might be fixed at launch, but if not, hopefully it's easily fixable.

My entire UI is broken, works flawlessly with current version of the game. Broken models, the green squares are actually not an imported model, but the "Blocks Ruined" doodad from the Ashenvale tileset. Waits are broken or timers are running at a different rate, as the result of periodic triggers are different between the live game and the BETA. Setting the height of special effects doesn't work, my missiles move in the terrain at 0.0 height. The game doesn't change Music when requested. There's probably more issues, but this is what I found when quickly testing.
WC3ScrnShot_012620_150854_001.png

Level 11
I was doing... Well, nothing, the last 3 days. I already needed to stop. Yesterday I decided to start the next zone. Actually I have almost finished another zone and a boss fight... Or 2, i don't remember my last WIP. I don't have that much time anymore. Is necessary a new UI? I planned my map to be playable on the wc3 style, with 4 spells and that, like in the old school.
The map should be playable on reforged? I didn't even has reforged, so...

Level 21
I've been struggling with the central hub for a couple of days, mainly what kind of atmosphere I want for it. This is an image of a small part of the area, but it could very well change completely:
WIP2.png

I think my final WIP will be the completed (more or less) central hub in its entirety :)

I've been struggling with the central hub for a couple of days, mainly what kind of atmosphere I want for it. This is an image of a small part of the area, but it could very well change completely:
View attachment 345414

I think my final WIP will be the completed (more or less) central hub in its entirety :)
I feel like a darker atmosphere would do it good, but maybe that's just me who has a special love for dark environments :p

Level 11
Gods, you reminded me my worst trauma (Dark souls) with his terrible fogs and medieval terrains. Please, don't do that to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.