• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Olympics 2008 - Race Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
If the rules are changed i thing we should need all 4 races, 1 map and no building (lessining strain on modeler), i think it would be a little better. and terraining is easy but takes a lot of time so coder should do Object editor in my opinion. and as a side note, would it be preposterous if my team went two person? otherwise i might (might, not will) have to drop out if i can't find a quickly moving terrainer, and i think i can do it because i have soooo much free time on my hands.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45

All 4 Races:
No. Just, no.

No Building:
I say yes, but I'm not the mod. :p

Coder do Object Editor:
Uh yeah Of course; no other way makes sense..

2-Person Teams:
Sorry, this has already been ex-nayed by Frostwhisper :/.

Animater-for-hire, eh? Do you have any samples of your work?

Level 23
meh, before I resigned and our team quit, Darkholme already made 3 models. Then we still had 3 weeks left. I think everyone started too early, not mentioning me who just remade the spells over and over again. The terrain was also done.

Level 26
You can already tart creating spells for the Ice basilisk and for the CyborgDwarf^^
and you can think about some ideas for our puppet master because I have to know if he should be agi melee,agi ranged or int ranged so I can create a fitting skeleton puppet^^

Level 12
You can already tart creating spells for the Ice basilisk and for the CyborgDwarf^^
and you can think about some ideas for our puppet master because I have to know if he should be agi melee,agi ranged or int ranged so I can create a fitting skeleton puppet^^

Ok sure. Whats the Ice Basilisk thou? Haven't seen it yet :p
Puppet Master, would probably best be Intelligence.

Level 14
As I said somewhere before, this contest is simply too ambitious. The problem with it, however, is that if you reduce the workload, it loses its flare as any semblance of the "olympics." Additionally, if you just keep extending it until enough entries are done, you're basically admitting to the contest's ineptitude.

Just finish what you can and be done with it. Use this as an example for future, overly ambitious competitions as a testament to them not working.

Level 23
Actually, I think its the teams own fault that they didnt begin in time. I wasted 2 weeks on doing nothing, so... And you guys who had members leaving, that delayed it as well.

Meh I dont really bother anymore

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Xatoga said:
Likewise. I just got uninspired early on. :)
Don't say that; you can do it!

Just mess around with the Knight/Garithos model a bit (= Human Paladin-Knight), make a building-version of the cauldron you already modelled, and... I can't think.

But it's not necessary to scratch-model it all (or even any of it).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I'm not "telling", I'm "suggesting" methods to speed things up, and trying to "convince" him that it's not as much work as he might have originally thought.

Anachron (haven't heard from him) could whip up a terrain, regardless of quality, and I (although I am having a pretty busy week of procrastination :/...) could "quickly" set up the abilities and Object Editor stuff. Even if it's not stellar work, if it's one of two submissions, we have a good shot at winning. :p

Or we could just ask for a Extension + RuleChange from you.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, um... Two days, unless Frostwhisper extends the deadline. :/

Moreover, my mid-term paper is due next week, so this weekend will be clogged. I mean, it's not so bad if we can work out "simple" alternatives... I'm just not making any promises.

Dangit dangit dangit... I didn't think I'd actually convince you. :p

~~~

But let's just assume.
We've got the Undead hero almost fully made, same for the Undead unit. All they need is the building (which, feasibly, could just be a bigger version of the Plague Cauldron you modelled on the bear)
(wait, upgrades??)

Since we never actually decided on the other race, I could never begin work. But I submit that Humans would be super-quick.

Hero
(Hero ideas from the old Discussion thread, since I don't care anymore about secrecy :p)
Humans: Crusader, Avatar of Light (see Seraph)
Dwarves: Marksman (rifleman hero), Shaman/Berserker (from the feral "Wildhammer" clan that rides the Gryphons)
Blood Elves: Waywatcher (ranger hero), Blood Knight

Unit
(Unit ideas also from old thread)
- some sort of War2-esque Paladin upgrade for the existing Human Knights called the "Crusader". Would become like a caster (3 spells), but retain all it's Knightly power. Would have a Reveal-Terrain ability like the Far Seer's; only this would give Line of Sight in an actual Line, from the Crusader to the target point! (actually, this spell could/should be used on any custom unit...). That and Exorcism, probably; something that deals mega-damage to Undeads only. Damage + slow.
some sort of "Outrider" unit that would act as fast-moving Scout and speciality unit.
See, you could use it to Scout, but it would also have an "Outpost" ability that would allow for faster expansion! (like, a "ward" that would increase the build-speed of nearby builders, or a "ward" that, when clicked on, became a half-built Town Hall)

Either of these could work. For the "Paladin Knight", just mess with the Garithos/Knight model; mix some stuff up and give him some glowy eye particles. :p

For the Outrider... Meh, a Peasant with a rifle on a horse?

Building
I have no idea. But if we're going with the holy theme (holy hero, holy unit, etc), we could make some kind of "sun-focusing" tower, which would be empowered with the holy light to CHARGIN ITS LAZAH at enemy units. Possibly a boost in damage from other nearby "sun towers"?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
"Blood Knight"? Heck, it's one idea out of, like, 12. I don't even particularly like it (can't think of much "original" for him, either). I'm just posting the sum of my brainstorm for Humans; taking into account the 3 separate "races" in the Human "faction".

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Umm... No. That was the whole purpose of my earlier posts. "hey xatoga, come back", "hey xat, it won't be that hard", etc etc.

In fact, there are no custom models made for anything, to my knowledge. Except the Undead building (partially).

Oh phooey. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.