• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Olympics 2008 - Race Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
RaceExpansion.png

Welcome to the Hive Workshop’s first teamed competition, ranging from the arts of terraining and modeling to the depths of coding itself. It is with great pride that I give you:

The Hive Workshop Race Expansion Competition

Contest Rules And Conditions

In this contest, gladiators will group in teams of three, each member representing a specific feature of WarCraft III modding: modeler, coder and terrainer.

Once assembled, the teams must work together in creating a standard melee map from scratch, with the following additions to two of the playable races picked before-hand:
- One new building per race with its own distinct function: requiring a custom model. Note: since all the races’ building lists are full, each team must decide on a reasonable solution for the problem (a morph ability for the race’s worker with an alternate building list is permitted).
- One new hero per race with 4 unique and functional spells: requiring a custom model. Spells may, and are encouraged to be triggered.
- One new custom unit per race added to the tech-trees: requiring a custom model.
- An improved techtree that will include the new building as a requirement for units/spells/upgrades. Creativity is a must in this area.
- Up to five upgrades and abilities concerning the unit, an optional summonable unit, and/or the building.

Summing it up, this brings the goal of each team to:
- A completely scratch-made, playable map.
- A total of 6 custom models.
- A maximum of 18 custom spells/upgrades.

The task is not easy, so teams must be certain that they cooperate well with each other to the end.

Submission rules include:
  • The terrain of the map must be created using in-game models only, however creativity is still crucial.
  • The terrain must be designed to host four players.
  • All models and spells must be created for this contest. No previous works allowed.
  • No more than 2 upgrades and 2 abilities may be used for each race's unique unit.
  • The two races must be balanced out after the additions are made.
  • Each hero must have four spells and use the normal warcraft leveling system.
  • No triggering is permitted beyond the hero/unit abilities.
  • Aside from the custom unit, the only other addition that may be included to each of the two races is the custom advanced worker (for building the special building).
  • Any imported icons for the new hero/unit/buildings should be either made by the team members. Otherwise in-game icons must be used. Any ability icons must also be from the warcraft mpq.
  • Up to one, in-game model using unit may be added as a summonable creature for either the hero or the unit, per race. Any abilities used by that unit count form the five abilities limit.
  • Each team member must stick to his part of the task (terrainer does terrain only, he doesn’t help with coding/modeling).
  • The final submission must include: the map file attached directly to the thread; at least two screenshots of the terrain, and a screenshot of each custom model.

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 50 reputation points and a special award icon per team member + usage of the winning map in the Hive's next melee ladder contest
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points per team member
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points per team member

Contest Judging And Voting
  • Judging Criteria
    CriteriaDescriptionMarks
    Terrain Originality[c]How creative the terrain is while using only the WarCraft mpq to make it[c]/10
    [r]Terrain Balance[c]Is the terrain equally balanced for each of the players[c]/10
    [r]Model Originality and Execution[c]How original and well made the added models are[c]/20
    [r]Coding[c]How clean the coded abilities are[c]/10
    [r]Abilities[c]How original the added abilities are[c]/10
    [r]Overall Balance[c]Are the two races balanced after the additions have been made[c]/30
    [r]Race Flow[c]How well do the added models and spells fit to the selected races
    /10

• 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 50 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • Each map must be complete and submitted 6 weeks after the contest begins.
    The contest shall begin on September 3rd, 2008 and conclude on [rainbow]
    November 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM.
    [/rainbow] (GMT)

Each team must have a spokesperson who's going to declare the team members, the team name, and submit the final map.
Team members, and names will be filled in the following sheet.

Race Expansion Teams:

Team NameModelerCoderTerrainer

General WHISPERhat
General FrankHINDYhatfrostwhisper

The Mod Squad
donut3.5PurplePootGilles

eem
skrabbl4ck.c0d3rSlaytan

Rainbow Monkeys
DonDustinFullaSteel_Stallion

DEV
DarkholmeEcchoVolvox

Team WINRAR
PyritiePreskooldudeFamouspker49

Teen Girl Squad
XatogaKyrbi0Anachron

The Icemark
Ebrik ElitelAirheadHero_Lief

Last edited:
Level 35
This competition looks very interesting. Pretty bad I don't have time because of the friggin school. If noone can find a partner, and very desperate to enter, look me up. I'm intermediate in coding and terraining, I have no skill in modelling.

Last edited:
Level 27
Last I heard, I was in a team with PurplePoot and Gilles.
PurplePoot suggested us to be Team THW, but I'm not going to compete under a name like that. :p
Since we're all moderators, I'm putting us down as The Mod Squad. (Thank You For Smoking, anyone?) If they don't like it they can slap me later when we take home the gold :p.. or silver, or bronze, or nothing of any merit.
Team NameModelerCoderTerrainer

The Mod Squad
donut3.5PurplePootGilles

--donut3.5--

Level 21
Why exactly are you forced into a role? I mean, it's not as if you can check that the "terrainer" will only terrain and not help the modeller or the coder... In fact, the "terrainer" role is probably the easiest (least work) of all 3 roles, so...

I'm still looking for buddies :(

Level 10
Well . . . how about . . . me? (code)
Well, hawk900, out of experience I know you are quite passionate with your projects, and you seldom want to keep on doing something you started. But when I face a critical lack of buddies to this, what will probably happen for an evident reason, we can set a team.

Anyone want me for terrain? :D
Sure thing! I just wonder if you would want me for models. I am quite good at it, I just don't usually submit my work here by a still unknown reason... (I will start doing it, by the way...)
If you do want, I already started brainstorming...I have some awesome stuff here. xD

Level 24
Well, hawk900, out of experience I know you are quite passionate with your projects, and you seldom want to keep on doing something you started. But when I face a critical lack of buddies to this, what will probably happen for an evident reason, we can set a team.

I'm vested in this one. I actually have a complete map now, and well done another AOS, project.

But anyway, looks like i'm going to be in this with, Me (code) , Mr.Bob (models), and a unspecified terrainer.

Void? How about it. . . ?

Level 10
He won't see my post, since this thread goes faster than a chat room. But even if he does see, we would then be searching for a coder, and Mr.Bob is known as a great modeler.
I can see what's gonna happen, I'm not gonna get a team because I'm arrogant and not very known around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.