• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #3 - Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
That just made me feel extremely stupid XD. Thanks maker, you really know your GUI

EDIT: yeah, i noticed that. I don't see why not, he gets exp when the Leviathan's cannon kills stuff, and they are essentially the same thing, just a locust'ed dummy attacker. It's really weird.

EDIT2: My hero is DONE! just gotta terrain the map and my entry will be in. Still having that issue with exp gain^, so if anyone has an idea, that would be helpful.

@maker: i waited to do a lot of the optimizations until i was done. I went through and added in trigger- turn off functions to all of the periodic triggers except for the one that went every 2 seconds in the spreading fire part. Thanks for all of your help!

All triggers are fully MUI GUI (went through and tested them all).

EDIT3: after a hard day of work, i present to you, my entry:

View attachment spencenator.w3x

Last edited:
Level 8
and i'm only done with one spell. and it looks suck-y. good luck to us guys :)

@xD.Schurke: what does it mean to be commented? like

-- this part of the trigger will select the unit group and do the effects blah blah--
Unit Group - Pick Every Unit in.. *write something here*

..?

Level 3
Here is my second WIP.

I made all the spells, so basicaly I just need to fix some of my triggers, add descriptions and...

you should comment variables + code blocks (not every call) -> what the code blocks do etc.

...this. -.-

EDIT: Here is my full map, fixed almost every bug (I think):p.
EDIT2:Nevermind. D:

Attachments

• Zanar WIP2.w3x
    77 KB · Views: 54
  • Zanar Hero Contest#3.w3x
    79.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Level 25
Here are 2 pic's of 2 different skills in action.
I really didn't have an inspiration in this contest so my submission won't be really innovative.
Also rethinking the 2 other abilities for some synergy :3

EDIT:

For judges.

Rethought my 1st skill, i need judge's opinion about the validity of this skill:

Passive: Causes Witch Hunter's attack to deal 50% increased damage on units which armor drops below 0.
Active: Shoots the target inflicting magical damage. There is a chance that the bullet will splinter inflicting increased damage to the target and causing shrapnel.
Level 1 - 100 Magic damage, 40% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.
Level 2 - 150 Magic damage, 60% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.
Level 3 - 200 Magic damage, 80% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.

I must know is the passive aspect of this skill okay or not.

Attachments

• Wip01.JPG
    Wip01.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Wip02.JPG
    Wip02.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Level 22
Kingz, that second one (the passive) seems fine, but maybe make it so it gives a very small boost when the target got armor above 0 or something. You don't have to do that though.

Level 31
ok, if i start making it, my hero will be a Raven (my name in wacraft 3 east is Raven.34) couldnt find anything that would fit kola thats why.

(i think i will use Storm Crow icon) Air Charge, The raven charge a unit from air, dealing damage and stunning the unit.

icons_8006_btn.jpg
Life Bird, The Raven summons a life bird that gives him 5 health every second. when the bird dies, he explode and restor 30/50/100 hp in 250 aoe range.

icons_6859_btn.jpg
Raven Speed, Passive, Gives 10/20/30 % more movement and attack speed to the Raven, but in cost to this, he looses 5 mana per seconds. When he reaches 0 mana, an energy explosion appear and he looses 50% of his current life but restore all his mana.

icons_10595_btn.jpg
Ultimate. Moon Fragment, The Raven call the moon powers and makes appear moon fragment under him every second. Every moon fragment deals 100/150/200 Damage. Last 3 seconds.

K, it's a bit late into the contest but I'm going to start on my hero.

I'd really like to use this model, but I don't think there's good icons to go with it:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/command-wolf-48928/?prev=search=wolf&d=list&r=20

SO, I believe I'll use this skin for it:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/skins-552/timberwolf-blp-159670/?prev=search=wolf&d=list&r=20

Etheral Wolf (My bnet name is Wherewolf which of course doesn't sound very serious)
Agility Hero
Icon:
icons_7971_btn.jpg

Spells:
Spell 1 - Active: Fade
icons_6655_btn.jpg

The Etheral wolf phases itself outside the normal plane of existence, teleporting a distance away and granting both invisibility and increased health regeneration. The invisibility and health regeneration drains mana for every second it's activated but can be activated indefinitely as long as the wolf has the mana to support it.

Spell 2 - Passive: Bestial Speed
icons_7702_btn.jpg

As long as the Wolf is running, his speed slowly increases - building up until it reaches a maximum. When the speed reaches it's maximum, if the player orders the attack of a unit (hotkey A) while the wolf is still moving and the unit is within range, the wolf will jump to the units position and deal slightly more damage.

Level 16
Here are 2 pic's of 2 different skills in action.
I really didn't have an inspiration in this contest so my submission won't be really innovative.
Also rethinking the 2 other abilities for some synergy :3

EDIT:

For judges.

Rethought my 1st skill, i need judge's opinion about the validity of this skill:

Passive: Causes Witch Hunter's attack to deal 50% increased damage on units which armor drops below 0.
Active: Shoots the target inflicting magical damage. There is a chance that the bullet will splinter inflicting increased damage to the target and causing shrapnel.
Level 1 - 100 Magic damage, 40% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.
Level 2 - 150 Magic damage, 60% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.
Level 3 - 200 Magic damage, 80% chance to splinter, 5% chance degradation per armor point.

I must know is the passive aspect of this skill okay or not.

seems fine, but you must consider the balance part. 50% more damage to units with armor below 0 is really hardcore :p

and don't forget a real passive ;)

My ideas are not lacking, but I don't see any sense in writing all the public librarys again on my own.

I mean seriously, xe should be allowed.
And by the way, I did not make a hero for the last contest because the rules were exactly like this.

Make proper rules that make sense or don't host hero contest at all.

All the spells that are generated for this contest will not be in an approveable state for later because of redundant actions and the code will horribly be longer as it should.

Just think about it please.

Level 22
Well dudes I will not make the hero for this contest, but for a new spellpack.
The rules are to stupid so I can't make a useful and proper coded hero.

I wish all others good luck & a very nice voting.
Sorry guys, but this time you set up stupid rules.
May I only hope that the next contest is better.

It would help if you could point out which rules and why. I can't see any rules which would make it harder for you to code properly, as how you code is not mentioned in the rules. The only thing I can see which will make it take longer for you to code is the fact that you're not allowed to use systems which do the job for you, which is there for an obvious reason and cannot make your coding worse and/or less efficient.

Edit: I don't see how your code can get longer (totally). Your code will get shorter, it will be more compact and be more efficient by not using xe or other systems.

Level 16
I don't get your point, what's hard to write 30-40 lines extra for dummycast?

If you would use xe most of the code wouldn't be your own.

For an art-contest you wouldn't use a picture painted by someone else and draw 2 ears and say ouh thats a nice picture I created ...

You say ONLY 30-40 lines but then if I use the other system it will be
xD.Schurke said:
most of the code
?

I guess you don't see the contradictions.

It's not the dummy casting that does the things, it is the idea and how you connect the system and how you work with them.

In reality nobody will say 'Okay, make a completely new system now'.
It's more like 'You can use system x,y and z'.

This contest will only produce horrible redundant code.

Level 16
Yep my sentence was a bit confusing ... expressed it wrong.
The dummy stuff can be done in a few lines, in your own style. Eyecandy of a spell is a part of evaluation. With xe you just would assign some "model strings" and coordinates.

The idea behind is doing it yourself. Xe just does all eyecandy stuff for you.
And it's not hard to code eyecandy dummys etc. like I said before a few things to write.

And here we don't judge the handling of other systems in your code... we judge your coding style , how you manage to create spells, not how other ones coded systems which do a big part in your spell.

And to create a fair contest everybody should be judged for things they achived for them self.
We have few exeptions for that (Scripts like TimerUtils etc. DamageDetection / Knockback -> A system I also wouldn't allow but okay).
Scripts like TimerUtils don't do big stuff. They are parts of writing code not of how the code will look like ingame.

Those scripts are like different colors for a picture while xe would be a pattern.

Last edited:
Level 16
That's not true.

The usage of other systems libraries doesn't say anything about the quality of code. You also can write high qualitive code without the usage of other systems/scripts, therefor the entrants had more then a month time (like TRD allready stated).

And as long the entrants had fun or learned somethign while making the heroes the code isn't redundant eigther.

BTW... this whole discussion sounds familliar :O

Status
Not open for further replies.