• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Encounter at Outland

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Encounter at Outland
Azeroth lays in ruin after the fourth invasion of the burning legion.
Those who succeeded in flight now seemingly find themselves nearer the end than ever,
having ended up in Outland together with other migrants of varying degrees of hostile intent, not to mention an ever increasing presence of the legion themselves.

Do you make a stand, fight a guerilla war, seek out allies or flee?

Hi, this an altered melee map set in the Outland interlaced with role playing elements.
Not being well versed in the lore coming into this project, I have since read quite a bit on the wiki and attempted throughout this map to make the breaking of said lore
as least intrusive as possible.

There are several simple but well functioning quests and plenty of interesting content. All assets are from the original game though used in a creative way I hope.
This is my first map of this scale, a few hundred hours went into this project, I have followed the guide on this site on cleaning up triggers and have made the map and it's mechanics as neat and flawless as I can.
I am open to criticism and feedback, thanks for checking out my map!

Open source, have your way.

Credits

Screenshots

The Hive Workshop and it's tutorials and template.
ii8NOin.png

YxPQGfF.png

wjaNi7B.png

RAoUaSV.png

DJiEv6s.png

Contents

Encounter at Outland (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
You might want to write more about the gameplay in the description. Is it intended for the map to have the Open Source tag? Are you allowing others to edit and reupload their version? Spell descriptions aren't proper. They should specify the max...
No reply or update for several months. Set to useful/simple.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
You might want to write more about the gameplay in the description.
Is it intended for the map to have the Open Source tag? Are you allowing others to edit and reupload their version?

Spell descriptions aren't proper. They should specify the max level of each spell or the details/values (as with Polymorph). Also, Invisibility has no tooltip in the learn ability menu.
How do you place the camera back up if you reset it? There should be some information in the quest log about things.
The barrels in the Sanctuary don't have any description.
The Elven Acumen upgrade should have a non-passive looking icon. You can make it look so with: Button Manager v1.8.2
Healing Shell's buff is Rejuvenation. Generally, the spells are just renamed Warcraft III ones.
Heroes that use unit instead of hero models like Dax should have glow. You can simply add it: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
You don't really have space to build the resource storage building near mines. You'd have to cut trees down first and stuff.
Guard Towers can be built over anything, doodads, shallow water, buildings etc.
The Sanctuary upgrades and stuff need to be properly positioned. The barrel icons move down when you upgrade the stuff that's down below.

Generally, it's a nice altered melee map that could use some more custom stuff as right now it's pretty much using usual Warcraft III material and the player has few things to joggle with.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Last edited:
Level 3
You might want to write more about the gameplay in the description.
Is it intended for the map to have the Open Source tag? Are you allowing others to edit and reupload their version?

Spell descriptions aren't proper. They should specify the max level of each spell or the details/values (as with Polymorph). Also, Invisibility has no tooltip in the learn ability menu.
How do you place the camera back up if you reset it? There should be some information in the quest log about things.
The barrels in the Sanctuary don't have any description.
The Elven Acumen upgrade should have a non-passive looking icon. You can make it look so with: Button Manager v1.8.2
Healing Shell's buff is Rejuvenation. Generally, the spells are just renamed Warcraft III ones.
Heroes that use unit instead of hero models like Dax should have glow. You can simply add it: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
You don't really have space to build the resource storage building near mines. You'd have to cut trees down first and stuff.
Guard Towers can be built over anything, doodads, shallow water, buildings etc.
The Sanctuary upgrades and stuff need to be properly positioned. The barrel icons move down when you upgrade the stuff that's down below.

Generally, it's a nice altered melee map that could use some more custom stuff as right now it's pretty much using usual Warcraft III material and the player has few things to joggle with.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/
Hey, thank you so much for such an in-depth look! As I don't have the time and inspiration at the moment, I labeled the map open source so that if anyone with more experience would take a liking to the map, they can feel free to improve it, not just clean up my mistakes but adding content as well.

If I personally need to fix the map before it is approved, is there a time limit to this?

Thanks,
Dennis

Level 3
Really liked it, well done !
I would say though there is so much to discover on the map by the time you explored most of it, AI is in that end of game mode where it just kind of stops trying.
Also for that many enemies you're not attacked that often, AI are perpetually fighting those demon creeps that keep spawning.
I got rekt a few times (I didn't see that old god wave coming) but still had the opportunity to explore a very well done map.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

No reply or update for several months. Set to useful/simple.