1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Dodger Dolphins - v1.1.1

Submitted by FeelsGoodMan
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

Here it is, one of the few actual 100% underwater maps. You play as Velma the Dolphin, and your quest is simple. Eat fish, avoid sharks.

This is a mini game style map with many settings. It can be played by up to 6 players, but can also be played solo for a relaxing and tranquil experience.

The map features the following modes, settings and controls:

Game play:

• Move forward with the 'ARROW UP' button.
    • Steer left or right with 'ARROW LEFT' and 'ARROW RIGHT' buttons.
    • Dash forward by pressing the 'RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON'.
    • Use a sonar attack with the 'LEFT MOUSE BUTTON'. Sonars disrupts shields and invisibility. If in battle mode it will stun any un-shielded units it comes into contact with. It also stuns sharks in normal mode.
    • See game play information by pressing 'ESC'.
    • Reset the camera height by pressing 'ARROW DOWN'.

• Tiny fish: Gives 1 point.
    • Red fish: Gives 1 point and restores 1 HP.
    • Yellow fish: Gives 3 points.
    • Green fish: Gives 1 point and makes all fish grant 2x points for 5 seconds.

• In the beginning you are prompted to select an arena. Simply move to the smoke squares to vote for an arena. The arena with most votes when the timer expires is selected. If two or more arenas has the same amount of votes a random arena will be selected.
    • If more than one player has an equal amount of wins when the game is over the remaining players will fight out a sudden death match in a random arena. Dash the other players before they dash you.
    • You have 3 health. Sharks deals one damage. You can not get more than 3 health.
    • There will spawn "Water Currents", "Black holes" and "Shields" around the arenas that gives you different power ups when you swim into them.

Modes:

• Choose between 3, 6 or 10 rounds.
    • A new game mode can be selected by a random player each new round.
    • The player who wins the most rounds wins the game.

• Easy: 10 sharks will spawn in the arena. Provides a relaxing experience where you can just swim around and take in the beautiful scenery.
    • Normal: 15 sharks will spawn in the arena. Gives a fair challenge where you have to concentrate.
    • Hard: 25 sharks will spawn in the arena. Carnage will ensue.

• Time attack: Reach the highest score possible within 5 minutes and stay alive. The player with the highest score wins the round.
    • Last dolphin swimming: Stay alive longer than your fellow dolphins. More sharks will spawn every 30 seconds.
    • First to 100: The first player to reach 100 points wins the round.
    • FFA BAttle: Kill each other in an all out death match.

Credits etc:

Screenshots:

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have put a lot of time and effort into the terrain, especially in arena 3 and 4 (arena 1 and 2 will be improved over time). Since this game includes no dialogue or human interaction I have tried telling a story simply from the terrain layout (visual storytelling). Terrain is such an important aspect of a map, and since this map has a pretty simple game play style I thought I could spice it up a bit with some cool terrain. Hope you like it :p

18th of November, 2019, v1.0.0: Release.
------
18th of November, 2019 v1.0.1: Removed a pathing blocker that was placed in the middle of arena 4.
------
18th of November, 2019 v1.0.2: Fixed player force bug.
------
18th of November, 2019 v1.0.3: Water currents/orbs didn't spawn in arena 4. Has now been fixed.
------
18th of November, 2019 v1.0.4: Changed "Time Attack" mode from 5 to 2 minutes. Enabled "Last Dolphin Swimming" mode in single player mode.
------
19th of November, 2019 v1.0.5: Leaks has been removed and the map should now be 100% free of leaks. Blocked a hole in the arena borders in arena 3.
------
19th of November, 2019 v1.0.6: Fixed player force bugs. Temporary player force leaks are no longer being cleared. It will be fixed in future patches.
------
19th of November, 2019 v1.0.7: Added reset camera height function.
------
19th of November, 2019 v1.08: Fixed victory bug and spectator bug.
------
20th of November, 2019 v1.0.9: Battle mode released. new LMB Sonar attack. Invis and shield power ups. Identified and fixed pathing issues where players and fish could get out of the arenas. Score resets later instead of instantly on round end, which makes it actually possible to read your score before it's reset. Difficulty can now be selected every round instead of once per game.
------
20th of November, 2019 v1.1.0: Sonars now stuns sharks. Difficulty increased from 5, 10 and 20 sharks to 10, 15 and 25 sharks. In last dolphin mode 2 sharks now spawn instead of 1 every 30 seconds. There are no health fish in battle mode anymore. You can no longer use dash or sonar while stunned.
------
20th of November, 2019 v1.1.1: General performance improvements. Turning off periodic triggers for unused player slots. More condition checks for the periodic triggers for used player slots.

Contents

Dodger Dolphins - v1.1.1 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
[spoiler] I've had the pleasure of being invited by @FeelsGoodMan to play this with him almost everyday for about a week(?) and we've had a blast. I can safely say this is one good mini-game map for 2019 standards. It's pretty creative especially on...
  1. Otherknownoise

Otherknownoise

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beautiful scene and music. :D
    ---------
    For eating fish it could be easier watching its shade instead of the dolphin model.
    Cannibalism and steel attack sounds a little wired.
    I only find speed up orb, maybe it's better to have other orbs like invisible, life restore or something.

2. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The music and aesthetic is godlike, and the gameplay itself is quite lovely. Reminds me a bit of Azeroth Grand Pix.
    One thing I would suggest is adding blood particles when your dolphin eats a fish, and I have one in mind that would fit nicely:

"Objects\Spawnmodels\Critters\Albatross\CritterBloodAlbatross.mdl"

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks! More stuff will be added over time :p

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    bythepoe.jpg

I've had the pleasure of being invited by @FeelsGoodMan to play this with him almost everyday for about a week(?) and we've had a blast.
    I can safely say this is one good mini-game map for 2019 standards.
    It's pretty creative especially on the aesthetic side. I'm sure the gameplay will be enhanced over time. It's fun even at this stage.

Not sure if it's a solid 5/5 but a 4.5/5 would do nicely.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
    Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
    Details
    BB CODES
    BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
    Description Guide - Melee Maps
    Describing Your Melee Map
    Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
    The importance of a Description
    Description Guide - Maps
    Map Thread Guide
    Map Description Making: Good & Bad
    Map Description - Templates
    Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
    • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
    • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
    • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
    Paillan
    twojstaryjakcie
    Daffa the Mage
    eubz
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    LOL! :p I just chose a random tile as the minimap won't be visible anywhere in game or in the loading screen, only here.

6. Xeryxoz

Xeryxoz

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Map review after map-testing:

Regardless of the current bugs and any other that players may come across in the future - your map is superb. The concept is refreshing and the outlook innovative. I personally love the lack of UI, which gives the user full control and extended vision. The controls are easy and quick to learn, while the goals are simple enough to not require any tutorials. From me, this would've been enough for a 5-star map, though you've truly outdone yourself in every aspect. The ambiance, style, depth of field and overall dedication that has went into creating something so relaxing and fun - I can only compare it towards the classic games of old which we still play to this day (Hungry Hungry Felhounds, The Predator, Uther party). This map deserves to be called a masterpiece. Well done

I rate it a whopping 6/5!

7. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot for your review, it means a lot! :) Also I am currently fixing the bugs. I think I found them pretty fast so we are doing a test run now just to verify.

8. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Here it is, a huge update. as requested by multiple people;

Battle mode!

You can now choose a FFA Battle mode in the beginning of each round. All players will then be taken to the voted for arena to fight to the death. In this mode all players has pre-determined spawns different from normal spawn positions. All player spawns has enough distance between each other to make it fair. In this mode you will deal 1 damage if you dash into someone. No sharks in the arena, and only health fish.

New stuff:

There are two new power ups with unique abilities, and one new default dolphin ability. Before you could only dash forward with either of the mouse buttons. This has changed. Now you dash with the right mouse button while the left mouse button
    sends out a sonar wave in front of you.

Sonar wave: In battle mode the sonar wave will stun the first unit in its path, and disrupt any shields or invisibility the player might have. In normal mode it only disrupts shields and invisibility. If you are invisible and use the sonar wave it will break invisibility. Sonar has a cooldown of 10 seconds both in normal and battle mode.

Shield power up: Can be picked up around the map. Grants protection from the next incoming damage.
    Invisibility power up: Can be picked up around the map. Grants invisibility for 5 seconds, making any pursuing sharks stop pursuing you.

All of this has not been fully tested in multiplayer, only with myself over lan in two executables.

For more bug fixes please read the change log.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Imagine an option for sharks too :D

10. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    It can be done but I feel like it would defeat the purpose of battle a bit. It could prove to be interesting though so I might introduce an option for it :p

Update:

Summary of most important changes; Sonar now stuns sharks in normal mode. Difficulty increased from 5, 10 and 20 sharks on easy, normal and hard to 10, 15 and 25. Battle mode no longer has any health fish.

Read change log for more info.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know...
    Is it AoE based, works on multiple sharks at once in a frontal cone?

12. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Nope, just one can be hit at a time.

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That pretty much defeats the use when there are multiple sharks on your trail.

14. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    If they are on your trail they are behind you. This is more of a defense if you dash forward and suddenly have a shark in front of you. Quick reaction time will allow you to stun that shark and get away without being doomed.

15. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Suddenly have dozens in front of your because they are on the trail of another dolphin :p

16. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Hah well then you have to dash to the side, or else you're gonna pull aggro on those sharks then they will gang bang you :p

17. Null

Null

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Great map. It really doesn t feel like warcraft.
    The gameplay is simple and cool and the background is really amazing.
    1 problem almost every guy in the game had when we played was with the selecting of the map where we will play. It isn t that obvious that those 4 zones represent the 4 maps where we will play. Also to make it work the player must get the shadow of the dolphin in that place not the dolphin which makes it trickier. A minor problem that affects the player in the 1st or the second game.
    Again the map is very cool and simple.
    The dolphin sonar should get a special dophin sound and the stun animation should be changed to something more realistic, like some small stars all around the hit unit. Now the sonar breaks the 'dolphin dodger' vibe with the normal sounds from the game.
    Idk exactly if it is my lack of experience in this game or the game really has a problem, but the dolphin sonar's stun seems to be too short. I can just rotate, hit the shark, rotate back and run because it is too short. Again i might be too noob to use it properly.
    A sugestion would be some sord of 2v2. My idea with the 2v2 would be that there are 3 zones: the red one the blue one and the purple one. It will be with flags and sharks, and to take a flag you must use the dash, whether it is your team's flag and you want to take it back or the enemy's flag.
    A GREAT MAP! I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO SAY!

18. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Ported Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks, glad you liked it!
    Yeah this could be explained better at the start.
    A custom stun effect can be arranged. Sound effects shouldn't be a problem to change out either.
    I have set the stun to a very low duration intentionally because it's not meant as a tool to 'fight' the sharks, only stun them if they're in front of you so you can get away. I do however agree that the duration is a tad bit too short, and that increasing it will improve game play.
    It is a very good suggestion, and one that I might entertain in the future (especially capture the flag), but as of right now I won't be releasing any major updates that takes 3-4 days to properly implement. I have 2 other projects that I am working on that needs to be done first.

Thank you for your review :)

19. Veronnis

Veronnis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow this looks really good and super fun! I just submitted my mini-game map Planetary Protector (Shooter) and thought I might as well scroll down in the map section and found yours! I didn't really think many people made mini-game maps and was happy to be proven wrong 12 maps down the list lol. I'll have to have some friends over for a lan party with it but the video shows solid movement, really nice flow on the model as far as Warcraft 3's lack of really smooth movement goes and it's multiplayer, even better! Also your designs are exceptional, especially the arenas you noted a focus on: 3, 4. Well done, it Feels good man FeelsGoodMan.