• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Game Mapping Contest #4 - Puzzle & Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
4.png

attachment.php

Puzzle & Mystery
Contestants
are challenged to create Puzzle mini map for Warcraft 3 game that will be full of Mystery.
Contestants
are free to pick and work on any map type (defense, RPG... without cinematic and terrain/template maps) as long as they bring mystery feeling into it.
Show us unique riddles, cool puzzles and awesome gameplay.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Concept (Base)
Does the mini-game follow the contest's theme?/10

Concept (Puzzling)
Is the mini-game cohesive, regarding the puzzles? How well were the puzzles presented?/30

Concept (Mystery)
How well is mystery presented, how good secrets were?/30

Going Green
How well does your map make use of limited space, be it file size or terrain size./10

Playability
Is the map bug/lag free?/10

Aesthetics
How well does the map look and overall feel of the 'environment'?/10
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 17 Jun 2011 and conclude on 23 Jul 2011, 11:59 GMT

Attachments

• Mini - Mapping Contest #4.jpg
    Mini - Mapping Contest #4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,264
Last edited:
Level 17
the concept factor is unnecessary, there is not much to say in that and those 20 points are either hard to get or too easy to acquire. Ok, say you mention your map was original or creative or overused, etc.; there is not anything left to say.

and i totally agree with that. And alot of those preferences require judges to interpret what they are actualy asking for. Easily interpreted differently.

Can I use this map as my entry?
You must make new one.

Omg nevermind, those judging preferences are horrible. Me and Pharaoh talked about how bad they are when we were judging the last one. Im not joining unless those preferences are revised.
I just copy and pasted them from last contest, send me PM, let me know what you think, I would gladly consider new opinions.

I have an issue about the description, are we required to do riddles and/or mystery? Or can it be any type of puzzle, because I have a bound in mind.
Hmmm, idea is to create map where will player think what to do, and solve riddles to find answers/make progress, with magic world of warcraft there and awesome imagination you should be abe to create 100+ different combinations of it.

Defense + mysterious... I really don't know guys.
It's just simple example, you can create anything you want, just be creative and stick to theme.

This contest is going to be interesting to judge...
I can't think of anything that's likely to be posted xD
Good Luck guys :)

edit
Just a few ideas:
1- You can create a mini-RPG with an awesome storyline and a huge mystery (boooooring)
2- You can create a large Labyrinth (now we're talking)
3- You can create a math riddle map (This is the sh*t right here)

Once when you submit your map it should be uploaded here not on other site.
Also that map of yours was created before this contest started so it's useless.

Read rules, you already earned some neg rep because you didn't. :sad:

And to say once more, map type is unimportant (still you can't create cinematic or terrain/template), this way you are free to create anything you imagine :)

Level 7
I would love to join, if I can find the time I will attempt it. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of helping two people, and in addition I also have some Flashy stuff to do (AS3)... if I didn't have all this I would have started yesterday.

But I have a question, is there a requirement/restriction on map size and/or duration? I'm guessing that there isn't, but the "Mini-Game Mapping" title makes me unsure.

Please don't spam -.-" (Rui is watching ;D)

But I have a question, is there a requirement/restriction on map size and/or duration? I'm guessing that there isn't, but the "Mini-Game Mapping" title makes me unsure.

Map Size (not file size), won't matter, but it may affect your score in the "Going Green" field. Also, the file size must be under 8 MB. The lower the file size, the greater your score in the "Going Green" field. For example, an awesome TD that's barely 600 KB would get a high score in that field :)

Level 7
I see, thanks. Might be able to whip up a small something then, if I make it cleverly maybe I'll stand a chance.

The parameters should be decreased, points-wise and some of them don't necessarily fit every mini-game contest. They should be set as:

Concept
Does the mini-game follow the contest's theme?/10

Puzzling
Is the mini-game cohesive, regarding the puzzles? How well were the puzzles presented?/15

Playability
Is the map bug/lag free?/10

Aesthetics
How well does the map look and overall feel of the 'environment'?/10

Thinking about making an Indiana Jones esque adventure. But I wonder, will the new rules be used or old ones? And with the new ones, does a larger map size count negatively or what?

No it doesn't matter; Hiveworkshop resources are meant to be used, not with some dropper, but free of limitations. You shouldn't overdo it though, people rage against huge map sizes and frankly, you should think about that before forcing yourself into a public poll.

I meant size of the playable area, not in mb. I don't have many imports in mind. But to have a great adventure, you need some space. If that attracts from your score, then I'll have to change my plans to 32x32 (and by that another map idea) to max out the points. That's why I'm wondering whether or not the judging will use your proposed idea, or the one in the first post.

I was going for map size, but then I hoped you meant file size* :p
If the map doesn't contain blank areas, you are fine, not that there is some parameter any longer, concerning this matter, but I think you are wise enough to tell. Keep in mind that the gameplay should be short, so, a huge map won't serve for that purpose, unless you organize it well, which is going to be credited.

Status
Not open for further replies.