• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #19 - Water Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Like this?

Attachments

• Likethis..JPG
    Likethis..JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 116
Level 49
@Fan - Hmm, his legs and waist proportions are slightly off. The legs need to be bigger, the waist raised a bit, and the legs overall bigger and fatter.
I think Sorceress animations would be best, because then he'll swim. :p But maybe that's just me. You'll have to slightly edit them in WarForger though, and make him go a bit under the ground so it looks like he swims. Certainly doable though!

Alright, first WIP from me:
It's a ramming galley\drakkar\pentekonter. Idea from Age of Mythology. It comes up in melee range and smashes stuff with the hammer\spike thing.

Attachments

• DrakkarWIP01.png
    DrakkarWIP01.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 147
Level 31
@Fan - Hmm, his legs and waist proportions are slightly off. The legs need to be bigger, the waist raised a bit, and the legs overall bigger and fatter.
I think Sorceress animations would be best, because then he'll swim. :p But maybe that's just me. You'll have to slightly edit them in WarForger though, and make him go a bit under the ground so it looks like he swims. Certainly doable though!

Alright, first WIP from me:
It's a ramming galley\drakkar\pentekonter. Idea from Age of Mythology. It comes up in melee range and smashes stuff with the hammer\spike thing.

Thats actually really cool mesh wise. It reminds me of age of mythology. But yeah, the tent needs a different texture.

Level 49
@Fan - Well actually, I'm kind of beginning to agree. Perhaps if you bring back the shark fin, retexture it, and make it(much) bigger, it would look better than a Troll mohawk. But both look fine to me. :p

Okay, almost done with mesh and wrap now. :p Hopefully it looks good. I guess the hammer-spike-thing's texture needs to be changed, I'll find something else. The tent is hopefully better now. It still lacks shields on the sides as far as mesh goes.

Attachments

• Drakkar_WIP_02.png
    Drakkar_WIP_02.png
    151.2 KB · Views: 169
Level 26
Time to submit my model. It did not turn out 100% as I planned it( basicly because it is missing the rider),
but I'm completely satisfied with the result of the seahorse.
Everything (besides the ingame textures, of course) is made from scratch.

There isn't much background behind this model, besides I always liked the whole appearance of seahorses.
It is also a pity that there are only so few games containing them, especially wc3.
I also went for a mythical style, because that fits quite well wc3, but also seahorses themself.
My hippocampus could be a guardian of Atlantis or somthing I believe.
attachment.php

Attachment points list:
Hand Left, Hand Right, Weapon, Chest, Head, Overhead, Origin

I also suggest using the map, because I already prepared everything for testing.

attachment.php

As my final words I say again: Good luck to everyone participating in this contest :)

Update(28th Feb): added a 2nd attack animation, a dissipate animation and a spell slam animation. Also did some small improvement to the death animation

Attachments

• HippocampusPreview.jpg
    HippocampusPreview.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,607
  • HippocampusIngame.jpg
    HippocampusIngame.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 10,501
  • HippocampusTestmap.w3x
    53.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Hippocampus.mdx
    67.7 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Level 26
OK GAIS. I IS TEH DUN WIT MAI MODUL.
HERE IS SKREENSHAT
narwhals.jpg

dis is magikal narwall. it iz unicron fishy. dey invent shishkebab. it swim in ocean. it make commotion. because dey so awzum. dey ar pretty big an pretty white. and they so strong that they can beat polar bear in fight.

you see. they are like underwater unicorn and have a kickass facial horn. They're like the jedi of the sea. and im making this model to honor the brave narwhal that gave it's life when it stopped cthulu from eating me.......

NARWHALS INGAME.PNG

View attachment NARWHAL.mdx

Narwhalpng.PNG

*cough*.... just dont let them touch your balls
For additional information on the majestic narwhal in it's natural habitat, here is an indepth documentary on the everyday life of these magnificent creatures

Last edited:
Level 21
Looking great guys and holy shit!
NARWALS!!!!

Oh and the deep sea guy looks great too.
Now the whole world of Azeroth will invade the deep seas.

Level 8
Time to submit my model. It did not turn out 100% as I planned it( basicly because itis missing the rider),
but I'm completely satisfied with the result of the seahorse.
Everything is made from scratch.

There isn't much background behind this model, besides I always liked the whole appearance of seahorses.
It is also a pity that there are only so few games containing them, especially wc3.
I also went for a mythical style, because that fits quite well wc3, but also seahorses themself.
My hippocampus could be a guardian of Atlantis or somthing I believe.
attachment.php

Attachment points list:
Hand Left, Hand Right, Weapon, Chest, Head, Overhead, Origin

I also suggest using the map, because I already prepared everything for testing.

attachment.php

As my final words I say again: Good luck to everyone participating in this contest :)

Update(28th Feb): added a 2nd attack animation, a dissipate animation and a spell slam animation.

I just tested it, and i found a bit of a problem, The Death animation is nice, it's just too high up, when the seahorse is swimming, then dies, its upside down corpse is sort of, Too high up. it doesn't look realistic.

--[EDIT]--
I just tried the map you shared, and i see it's a different animation for death, my mistake :]

Last edited:
Level 49
Hmm, I'm mostly done with my model, but I'm afraid I might be a little late. Is there a problem if I submit like a day after the deadline? It's because I want to add some finishing touches to the model and the animations are not completely finished, so... I just want to know how much does the time allow me to work on this model further.

Level 26
Technically what we have been doing with the past few contests (with great success i might add) is cutting off the deadline .... at the deadline.

As long as we have 3 entries, the deadline remains a deadline. Or the contest would extend until 3 entries were submitted.....
right now the deadline is past and we DO have 3 entries. :/

BUT since my two bestest friends, debode, fan, and shamanyourpony are asking so politely nicely :), im sure its fine, ill extend it for roughly 24 more hours from this post so you guys can put the finishing touches on your models

... good luck.

EDIT: and dondustin, put an F-ing rider on your horse

Level 49
Alright, I believe the mesh and UV wrap are done. I'll get to animating it.
Please tell me what you think about it. I appreciate all sorts of criticism(except trollcism).
It's supposed to be upgradeable; One little problem I've always had with Age of Mythology was that pretty much ALL units changed their appearance when upgraded... Except for ships. Yeah, the name changed from "Ramming Galley" to "Heavy Galley" or from "War Barge" to "Royal Barge", but they looked exactly the same... And that was pretty lame. So I decided I'll add an upgraded version, and in my opinion it turned out pretty nicely, better than the regular one either way, but I'm not sure.

Oh, and anarchianbedlam, thanks a lot for the extension! This should definitely help me. :)

Attachments

• WIP_03.png
    WIP_03.png
    152.3 KB · Views: 190
Level 26
sure thing bro. cool looking model btw. except how are the oars moving? it looks more like a dinghy or a lifeboat than a longboat. is there an lower deck for le' slaves? also. do the oars geomerge/clip through the shields? it kind of looks like they do.

EDIT: OH! also, how does the ram move? there are no people there to move it and no springs or rope or pulleys to move it. I'm not saying it needs to be perfectly technical. but every tiny bit of realism makes it that much more interesting to look at.

Level 49
It's not a longboat; It's a light ship, supposed to get up close to big and heavy ship and smash them. Yes, there is a lower deck for the oarsmen. The oars don't clip through the shields, but they're pretty damn close. Well one of them does, but I'll fix that.

The ram works like a catapult. It's based on ropes that put pressure on it and, when released, creates a devastating effect. Then the crewsmen just pull it back on(from inside the lower deck). The ropes are not very well visible on the screenshot, but that's just the angle.

---

No more comments? Disappointing. D:
1 hour left, and I was the only one who did something in the extension? :(

Anyways, behold...
The Ramming Galley.
Light and agile, these ships are built for speed rather than protection. The crewmen use the large rams installed on their hood to break through the enemy ship's hull, breaking it apart piece by piece until the ship is nothing but a wreck, or it sinks from the water flowing on-board. Each ship has a total of three human oarsmen, operating the ship in the lower deck, a pair of crew members who operate the heavy ram, releasing the ropes to hit and then pulling it back again and a captain who doubles as the navigator, controlling the ship from the tent. The ship can be outfitted with heavier armor and armament, slowing down the ship but greatly improving it's chances to withstand enemy fire.

Use the "Alternate" tags to use the upgraded version.

Attachments

• RammingGalleyIngame.png
    RammingGalleyIngame.png
    552.7 KB · Views: 544
  • RammingGalley.png
    RammingGalley.png
    567.9 KB · Views: 551
  • RammingGalley.mdx
    48.8 KB · Views: 159
Status
Not open for further replies.