• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #19 - Water Units

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
A daunting task, but you'll probably need to shade each scale individually. Either that, or just leave a couple of strategic areas of scales. If memory serves, nagas in-game don't have evident scales all over...

oh you silly boob. just make a tiling texture and warp it as needed. you really can't tell the difference between automated and manually painted scales at game distance anyway.

and everyone's gonna be judging these from ingame, right? right?

Level 26
Wew... How to look at their entries??
Sorry but I'm still a newbie here... heheh...

wlf2tz.jpg

In a perfect world... people would at least attempt to answer their own dumb questions.

... It's on the first post. of the first page. right in front of everyone's face. Not everyone has an entry yet because the contest just started. Usually if a person is interested in a contest or the results of a contest, they would read the main post. I understand if they dont want to go through all the posts on 7-8 pages... but i mean.... the first post at least.

Level 21
The pic is kinda small, but it still looks good regardless.
Which I had some skills to be in this contest.

Level 31
I'll probably take another crack at animating this tomorrow.

Also, I actually really liked the old swimming Death animation I had for this model, where after sinking for a few seconds, he would quickly push his hand out of the water, clench a fist, then die off.

So I have one question.

Will it have chains spewing out of its ass this time?

Hand could use some work, The belt could be a tad bit smaller/or detailed. Tentacles should be longer if thats the main form of transformation (If theres no legs under there)
On a good note, you changed the shoulders! and also I believe your the only person making an organic in this comp. That should be noted by the judges during rating time.
Oh yes. Is it supposed to be a dreugh?

Level 1
this contest is great, maybe i'll enter, but don't think so :( don't have the mood :/
theres alot of good contestants here xD i would not even take the 3rd place.

PS: Don't look at number of my posts, i have been in these forums for a while long time(1 year :D)

Level 28
Fixed the post.

There we go.
- Well for starters the model uses Murling.bmp as texture.
- The up-and-down-bobbing in the Stand Swim animation should be reduced in my opinion. I personally prefer Stand animations to be a bit more relaxed.
- The dissipate animations could be longer and the Murling could rise further. In the current state it will quickly rise a distance that's pretty much its double length, stop there and fade away.
- A Stand Ready animation could come handy.
- And finally, I can't really understand the Spell One animation.

Make no mistake, I like the model. It's creative, well made and down right cool. I like the demonic/eredarish look it gets with the eye particles. Just polish those things up and it will be real nice.
Good job so far
mod_yes.png

This is what I've got so far.

EDIT:
Forgot the texture.
looks nice. I really like it.
I'm not a big fan of the way it walks on earth though. Shouldn't be all that 'orthogonal'... dunno... maybe if you do one tentacle first each step it would look better.
but about the rest, very good job, i hope people recognize it this time.

I'm not trying to get off topic, but from what I know of, you two did hatch that little idea before the judging started.

Anyway, to everyone else, is there anything I could improve on my submission as of yet?
the texture. I highly recommend you to redo it...
- make the scales bigger and following the topology
- increase the overall scale of the details, those teeth are microscopic for instance the eyes are ugly, opaque and tiny
- the fins don't make a good usage of alpha channels
- the purple bracelets are teamcolor-misleading
- the shells create resolution conflict with the rest of the model, you should give them custom texture in the same patterns...
- many parts lack definition, as the weapon

also, those particles should be more transparent and bigger, they separate from each other too much.

when I said your model has potential, it is because of the mesh, the animations and its concept. the texture still needs a bunch of work though...

Level 26
the next post better be a wip or a comment about THIS contest

as you wish sir.

The Seahorse is finished. Next step will be animating it so I'll have at least an entry with suitable animations quality. If there is some time left, I will also add the rider for this contest.

Attachments

• SeahorseWIP3.jpg
    SeahorseWIP3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 232
Status
Not open for further replies.