• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft III's DotA is OVER???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
If he was trying to parody DotA, he really needs to do research on what a parody really is; a parody is not a rip-off.

That's what I mean...

I said "make your own DotA2"...meaning, your own spells, your own items, your own battlefield, your own *something*, etc... OR inspired by DotA...

even your Stars of Destiny RPG is inspired by FF, so does it mean that you copy many of it's features?...

I have a copy of all the code from DotA 6.72c all in one Jass trigger (aligned and very readable)
I've decoded most of the function names till now :)
IceFrog used tons of scopes in his map appearantly o-o (All the spells were somehow near the bottom :p)
Also, I've found that Rhasta's shackles ability uses TriggerSleepAction O.O

Level 22
I have a copy of all the code from DotA 6.72c all in one Jass trigger (aligned and very readable)
I've decoded most of the function names till now :)
IceFrog used tons of scopes in his map appearantly o-o (All the spells were somehow near the bottom :p)
Also, I've found that Rhasta's shackles ability uses TriggerSleepAction O.O

TriggerSleepAction can be used and the trigger can still be MUI, not really something surprising...

Level 19
If you know my big bro you would understand Tleno.....
I probably only said what I said because only a thew people who I know play Wc3 where I live as I got this game years ago and have only started to realize Wc3's potential only in the recent year but peoples opinions are there opinions and if they stand by it I respect that as everyone makes a decition based on who they are and that is why I beleave that even with if Dota dies out (*ha?*) alot of hardcore players that pay Dota isn't the only game they play as one cannot gain skills for one thin by only doing that one thing and other Wc3 maps are the target and I think that Wc3 wont die out because people will get bored of Dota (and not only on the Wc3 vertion) and start to play custom games more often.
Another example why Wc3 wont die out so easily is that alot of people envy low graphic games as they don't want eye candy (Aparently for some Sc2 is good for that?) and instead like to play for the objective and also alot of people like games to be a bit cartooney and off tune.

Agreed.

Level 27
Talking about Aos lacking ideas, I would object about that. Like lately I was thinking about a different battlefield structure when one side is surrounded, and another one is attacking from all dirrection, and both have different goals - one has to manage to escape the place it's surrounded in, while another one has to destroy the HQ of the surrounded side.

Level 19
Who knows, something else could emerge better than DotA and creating an entire new game genre, it could easily help the Warcraft III community grow once again. But I doubt IceFrog would stop his production due to the publicity.

Level 5
even your Stars of Destiny RPG is inspired by FF, so does it mean that you copy many of it's features?...
Considering what I've already said, I don't even know if I should take that question seriously. I'm not going to re-word something to repeat what I said.

Admittedly, at first my map was supposed to be a FFF and FF rip, but it is due to the issues about the topic-at-hand that made me reconsider what it was that I was really doing. I wasn't making something that I could call mine; I was making something to copy someone else.

Something that makes me uneasy about making your own things is how it seems to be the way to describe what is it that you're making. This can be particularly bad when the person one is talking to has absolutely no idea what you're comparing your stuff to. Ai ya, this happened to me at comic conventions so many times. Independent authors telling me, "My comic is like X meets Y with some Z in it--" but I'm not a comic-goer, so I find myself lying and standing here replying, "Oh, I see."

Level 2
Most in here, Philippines, don't know about "warcraft", they only play "DotA", and they call warcraft as DotA, I dunno why...

mostly kids..... :ogre_hurrhurr: ignorance men... that's the answer...... if i'm not mistaken i think it was eul (eul's scepter) who first made dota.... then improved by aghanim(aghanim's scepter) then lastly icefrog...... dota won't die i assure you that coz new games need higher end pc specs as opposed to WC3 which needs not too high specs..... so most shops will still have WC3 even with DotA2 out in the market..... just like RA2.....

most probably icefrog will either continue updating or pass DotA to others like his predecessors...... so don't cry guys.......:goblin_yeah:

Level 13
I was never playing DotA. I was never liked DotA. I was never been a DotA fan. I will never try to make a map like DotA. I was only played DotA only one time for about 10 mins then I said: This is a SHIT. I really think that DotA "fans" doesn't really have a real reason why they are playing it. If you ask someone "Why do you like DotA?" I am sure 99% will not have a good answer just like "Because its cool" or something like it. Have you checked the Extreme Candy Wars 2004? Its almost same as DotA just a bit outdated and may not as ballanced :p Some cool WC RPGs would bring WC high. Just the only important thing that a map should contain: replayability and it should be varied, intresting to be played every time you start it to play.

Level 22
^ I would say they play Dota because it is much cooler to compete according to them with others in score and team and kill the enemy team than doing 'Kill Dragon X in Castle Z' or whatever the goal of RPG maps. Most of them do it cause they can't play melee or mostly cause they find it fun and competitive compared to other maps that are just for fun...

I'm no Dotaer but I do it from time to time that is now SC2's SoIS because I also find it much more fun in competing and owning the enemy and scoring wins over deaths, than playing some RPG not to say silly for me types of maps like TDs..

So don't wonder why less coding and poorer terrain beat all your maps, cause like a melee player doesn't care about the terrain when he just focuses on the metagame, same goes for a Dotaer, he focuses on what's interesting in the game, the gameplay, not if there is some cool terrain or coding..

Level 7
Well, DotA was cool until like... I think v5.84. I was the lonely player in my city. I think it wasn't that famous around this version. A game is good until the retards start playing it. I remember I was hyped when my friends started playing it... But God damn it, it was a moment not to be. They became so annoying about the game, that I just had to dislike it.

I'm trying to make sure it's:

Eul - Guinsoo - IceFrog - Magtheridon96 ;)

IceFrog's 25, I'm 15.
IceFrog probably wont care about DotA in the future, I will.
IceFrog uses TriggerSleepAction (I know it still allows a spell to be MUI, but I don't like it :p), I try to make super efficient and super awesome code :p.
IceFrog keeps ignoring my emails about the lumber tooltip -.-", I would actually remember to change it :p.
IceFrog has a beta testing team of 400 people, I have ... a team of 4 :p
IceFrog is known by tens of millions of people, I'm known by about a 1000 people on the hive and 6000 people in real life :p

!!

Level 14
No.

In 3 weeks Dota 2 will be announced in GamesCom at Germany and it wont be long time from that untill Dota 2 gets on sales for public.

i think not,because dota 2 never had any beta gameplay videos,none, not even sound tests or something,they need to make it more shown to the people,only things i see is updates (he plays HoN while hes talking) and some heroes picture,not ingame,and no trailers :p, i think it's gonna be released about 4 months later or so

Level 12
Welll, I played wc3 for 4.5 years, but DotA became popular in my city when some cousin of my friend found it (atleast 2 years after I started playing), I never heard anything about DotA then because I was mostly playing Single-Player :p... When I saw it I thought it was gunna be so fun, I was wrong, 1. DotA is today played by idiots with or without a life, and they rage very fast 2. DotA players think that DotA is the only good map, and they don't try the others, but one friend of mine who play DotA atleast knows the difference between DotA and WC3

I'm happy that DotA 2 will be released, I will finally be able to find normal maps on b.net

Level 9
@Super-Sheep: yea, if someone wants to continue playing this genre, they should start playing LoL, HoN, or Dota 2 when it's available.

Level 20
i think not,because dota 2 never had any beta gameplay videos,none, not even sound tests or something,they need to make it more shown to the people,only things i see is updates (he plays HoN while hes talking) and some heroes picture,not ingame,and no trailers :p, i think it's gonna be released about 4 months later or so

You are wrong.

Valve already has servers for Dota 2 and has run several tests with them. The game is already in a playable state. They picked few top teams in Dota scene and gave them Dota 2. They will be playing Dota 2 for public in a "Dota 2 tournament" that is gonna be held in Gamescon.

Level 9
DotA 2 will be release in August 17, I guess.
It will be revealed, Valve will be on GamesCom. :smile:

I'm wondering what will be the changes in DotA 2 :wink:

DotA 2 will be release in August 17, I guess.
It will be revealed, Valve will be on GamesCom. :smile:

I'm wondering what will be the changes in DotA 2 :wink:

Stealth Assasin's Passive Ulti is removed because the character was too strong. Instead, a pixie bloom spell was added that will make your character stop and dance like a stupid fuck.

Also, we created lots of new heroes to replace the copyrighted ones. Our new heroes are the exact copies of the old.

Zeus' ulti will now instantly kill all enemy players, because, fuck, its gonna happen either way. At least your faith will fade away like it should.

Level 9
Stealth Assasin's Passive Ulti is removed because the character was too strong. Instead, a pixie bloom spell was added that will make your character stop and dance like a stupid fuck.

Also, we created lots of new heroes to replace the copyrighted ones. Our new heroes are the exact copies of the old.

Zeus' ulti will now instantly kill all enemy players, because, fuck, its gonna happen either way. At least your faith will fade away like it should.

Really?

Level 16

now i can't wait for DOTA 2

Level 9
I played League of Legends...

Settings all to low (JUST TO REDUCE THE LAG)

After that...

It just look like a game "Bomberman" with no bombs :smile:

Level 10
Is that the sign up page where you get rewards for referring other people?

That's pretty shameless.

Yes it is, but meh, who cares. You get your account just like normal, and I get
free stuff. Win win.

I played League of Legends...

Settings all to low (JUST TO REDUCE THE LAG)

After that...

It just look like a game "Bomberman" with no bombs :smile:

I keep mine on maximum XP
No lag either way for me

Level 19
Well, since it isn't official, I'll just presume IceFrog would either continue the map like he said, pass the map to somebody else, or somebody will somehow continue it and improve it further, or even better, create a whole new genre of a map altogether to get all popular again:)

Is that the sign up page where you get rewards for referring other people?

That's pretty shameless.

That's called Referring.

Well, since it isn't official, I'll just presume IceFrog would either continue the map like he said, pass the map to somebody else, or somebody will somehow continue it and improve it further, or even better, create a whole new genre of a map altogether to get all popular again:)

And will fuck it up even more! YEY!

Level 5
I did call it referring... Do you guys really have to get bent out of shape just because I pointed out something obvious? Shameless has a neutral connotation; I knew exactly what I was writing. If I wanted to get pissy I would I have said he should be ashamed.

Level 19
At least that'll help promote DotA even further:)
Who knows, Warcraft III could benefit from that as well.

PS: Lol the same amount of money you could get from America's Got Talent.

Level 27
does SC2 have a good editor? or is another failed editor like SC1?
It makes WC3 editor look like SC1 editor. Of course it's very complicated comparing to WC3 one, but it's worth it - you can do such awesome stuff you wouldn't be able to even imagine beeing possible in WC3.

1 MILLION DOLLARS?

WOAH... just can't believe it...

Man, Valve sure are rich... that's enough to make me get intrested in that game... and I'm a Die-hard Dota-not-intrested-er.

Level 27
Like what?

Custom interface. Completely custom one. Try and make that in warcraft 3.

Also, memory banks. No more need in savegame codes when you can just make so people would be able to load their charcter without doing anything.

You can make lots of things with just data editor - some of things you would need triggers or even JASS in Warcraft 3. Seriously.

Not to mention it just has a much larger functionality comparing to WC3.

Level 37
Tleno said:
Custom interface. Completely custom one. Try and make that in warcraft 3.

Well it's impossible to make completely custom interface. I think however that with current methods we can make some awesome interfaces already.

Tleno said:
Also, memory banks. No more need in savegame codes when you can just make so people would be able to load their charcter without doing anything.

Game cache? Yea doesn't work in multiplayer.

Tleno said:
You can make lots of things with just data editor - some of things you would need triggers or even JASS in Warcraft 3. Seriously.

You told us that we can't even begin to believe doing things in World Editor compared to Galaxy Editor but we can.

So in the end... It's just interface that makes the difference? Well I gotta say I'm disappointed now.

Level 5
It's INTERNATIONAL, people. You'll be playing against people from across the world who play DotA ~100 hours a week.

Oh, and I bet a one million dollar prize is NOTHING compared to the PROFIT they get for advertising and sporting the event.

Level 19
Heh. True, although Valve and Blizzard should really get to know each other better, it seems that both companies can synergy their stuff very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.