• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are you still playing Warcraft III?

Do you still play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Why Warcraft III still good to play?

it's been a long time since warcraft 3 ROC & TFT released...then WoW came, Starcraft II came & next Diablo III will be released, but millions of people are still playing WC3, for example DotA...

so, why do you still play Warcraft 3 and why is it still good to play?

for me i guess because there are thousands of missions/quests/ideas in playing WC3...what about you?

Because releasing newer games doesn't mean they're sequels to the older ones.

While WoW and Sc2 have been released after Wc3, that doesn't mean they're meant to replace wc3 - each game is different in it's own right with it's own nuances. Now even though Wc3 and Sc2 are both RTSs, they still have things that distinguish them from each other too.

Also old Nintendo games came out a long time ago, there's been like 10 games in the Legend of Zelda series but people still play the original one for fun all the time - just because somethings old doesn't mean it's no longer worth playing.

Level 11
Wc3 still has awesome custom maps while SC2 has very few... + they do have a really good DOTA like map on SC2, but that won't keep me from playing wc3, still waiting for someone to make a pimp my peon map and a LOTR Builder :D hehe

Level 26
Wc3 is having so many units with all types of races, Sc2 and Diablo are having the whole gave with one type of units.
...wat

There are essentially 3 reasons to continue playing Warcraft 3:
1. The lore was pretty good (although it violently held Starcraft to the floor and ripped it off) before WoW froze it into a single point in time and started raping it.
2. Because only custom games in SC2 have heroes.
3. Because you're going to have to wait a while to see non-shitty SC2 custom maps, and it might not even be free.

Level 16
Starcraft I, Diablo I + II, Warcraft I + II haven't died yet, so why the hell would Warcraft III die?
I do like the gameplay in all of those.
Tho, I replaced Diablo with Diablo II.
Starcraft I. I've played once, didn't impress me.
Warcraft I + II + II are unique. The storyline is just... Fantastic!

Level 29
I've heard so far they're all pretty terrible so far.
With the new popularity system in the sc2 online server your going to have trouble finding something other then what's the newest rip-off of DotA or whatever else people like (I'm guessing someones probably made a footman frenzy map by now) until they allow for other filters.

people made already leauge of legends out of DotA but i believe DotA is more popular since there are hundreds of versions of it like naruto and dragonball for example...

Level 29
Wc3 is having so many units with all types of races, Sc2 and Diablo are having the whole gave with one type of units.

By the way, you should srsly go online and check the amount of players playing wc3, it has been dropped from 200.000 to 20.000 after SC2 launched.

it MAYBE, but im looking forward to see how SC2 will dumped WC3 in the future

Level 29
Starcraft I, Diablo I + II, Warcraft I + II haven't died yet, so why the hell would Warcraft III die?
I do like the gameplay in all of those.
Tho, I replaced Diablo with Diablo II.
Starcraft I. I've played once, didn't impress me.
Warcraft I + II + II are unique. The storyline is just... Fantastic!

never say anything about die WC3 but, alas, i want to see how SC2 (or other blizzard new games) will outsmart WC3

Level 16
...I thought some discussion about this came by long ago..lol..people like to start this kind of topic do they?

We play warcraft because of the types of map that fits warcraft,like easy going funny map on warcraft,fun Mapss,joke maps,mystical themed,fantasy themed,etc...its style fits perfectly for funny or any type of map,even crappy ones,l(look at the peasent model,isnk't it hillarious? Just looking at it lol)

We play starcraft if we like ladder and competitive/scifi games or whatever fitting it
I cannot imagine myself laughing while playing pyramid escape at starcraft(imagine an scv or marine instead of peasent,it wonkt give a funny feel)...
Except if it imports every soundnterrain,musics to starcraft 2,which will take you like 60mb file for a single map,starcraft's style is just too realistic ,it will never fit any fun games compared to warcraft (tree tags,vampirism,jungle race)
Imagine playing those at starcraft 2,will you laugh?

Stop this meaningless discussion, I just can't stand seeing those who vote for sc2 or wc3 because of dota ripoff or their cool graphic,
We play them at our own intrest,what kind of games do you like!
This is a personal matter,not general if it has come to personal intrest,so, discussing which one majority likes has no actual connection to which is better.

Personally, sc2 is a failure bcoz it isn't funny,or fantasy themed..

Do you like me giving comments like that?
Some people may like it,but some may not,because they love what they love.

Saying about imbalance,some like imbalance things,if you say you hate sc2 coz its imbalance,its ur own feeling,I personally like imbalance games,
So you can't decide what is bad or good from this discussion.

I maybe will play sc2 coz of the imbalance.some may quit n play wc3.

Level 26
Balance and modability.
TBH, balance isn't that hard when races are so similar to each other.

And even then, I still consider the two Starcrafts to be more balanced than WC3.

The allure of Warcraft 3's gameplay comes from its smaller amount of units, slower-paced gameplay, and RPG elements. It's almost fundamentally different from the larger-scale, streamlined Starcraft. It's just a different game. There are different strategies involving creeping, heroes, fountains, and other aspects that would needlessly complicate Starcraft. That being said though, Warcraft 3 melee definitely has a clunkier feel to it. The micromanagement isn't as complex, either.

Level 16
Then,since both game can be considered totally diffrent, further discussion will only mainly be pointless,knowing the above mentioned things.

So,which is better?

We have come to a conclusion

"Its your own feelings that decide this"
No matter what other says,majority does not involve your likings.end of discussion

Level 15
Well several reasons. But probably the main one is ability to make almost any map you think of. Yes SC2 is more balanced than WC3, that's a fact. Map selling will be a "pain in the wallet" even worse than some DLC ripoffs (for example MW2). Also WC3 is a simpler game. yes, I know SC2 has *drool* graphics, texture melding and manipulation. Now, modeling is more complex, haven't tried the triggers yet. Anyway SC2 is good, but somehow I always get back to WC3. It has, it's own... style, the thing that makes it diferent. I would describe it as huge comunity and the simpler editor.

Level 11
Well several reasons. But probably the main one is ability to make almost any map you think of. Yes SC2 is more balanced than WC3, that's a fact. Map selling will be a "pain in the wallet" even worse than some DLC ripoffs (for example MW2). Also WC3 is a simpler game. yes, I know SC2 has *drool* graphics, texture melding and manipulation. Now, modeling is more complex, haven't tried the triggers yet. Anyway SC2 is good, but somehow I always get back to WC3. It has, it's own... style, the thing that makes it diferent. I would describe it as huge comunity and the simpler editor.

Wut? Starcraft is more balanced than WC? WUT?

Anyways, WC3 is much better. More unique units, heroes and other stuff.
SCII is like WC3 for beginners. WC requires much more skill. You have to
know how to micro units and you have to know what items creeps drops,
fight in places that you have advantage etc..

Level 15
Wut? Starcraft is more balanced than WC? WUT?

Anyways, WC3 is much better. More unique units, heroes and other stuff.
SCII is like WC3 for beginners. WC requires much more skill. You have to
know how to micro units and you have to know what items creeps drops,
fight in places that you have advantage etc..

1) Completely different games, don't compare their strategies.
2) Positioning matters more in SC2 than in WC3.
3) SC2 requires better timing, knowledge of the game itself, and yes, more micro.

Even WemadeFOX_moon mentioned that SC2 requires a lot more actions per minute and micro than WC3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1yTG_LWNsE

Level 15
well firstly all of use who are posting on this thread comparing sc2 and wc3 your off topic

the question was why do you still play wc3 not compare the 2 wc3 and sc2

and my anser is i still play wc3 because the amount of different types of games you can play. and how easy it is to make your own

:goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG :goblin_boom: BANG

Level 22
2) Positioning matters more in SC2 than in WC3.
3) SC2 requires better timing, knowledge of the game itself, and yes, more micro.

No and no. Positioning in War3 is very important, just as much, only units die slower. Micro is a lot more in War3... SC2's a macro game in case you dont know, it will never have more micro than war3, lol that's just funny to say. And also when you attack your enemy in war3 also very important, when you will creepjack, when you will expect him to creep at a certain place... That's when the noobs say: Maphack? No, just timing, knowing what he would likely do..

___

Well, I learnt about the drastic drop of activity in War3 when since the release of SC2 beta war3 zotac became from a 512 grid to 256 grid. OMG! And even 256 in February is diff from 256 now, now almost all get defwins round 1 cause it's much less than 256 but more than 128.

The thing is war3 was my game for the past 7 years, I was 10th grade when I started it, now im like in late university years. War3 taught me to play good and the RTS skill gained there especially since SC2 doesnt possess the micro war3 has and war3 taught me so much about micro and have fast reflexes that it affects not just me, anyone starts with some skill after just 50 games, which in war3 would take him 1-2 years to reach that.

Even for the editor, without war3's editor I wouldnt be able to also start from some point in SC2 editor. So War3 will remain in my heart, cause it gave me so much also for sc2. And I dont like the 'there's sc2, gtfo war3' attitude. Although I seriously hate to see my teammates staying with war3. Cause I want the same in sc2, to see them around, have Chat channels or just chat in Obsing. So I enter War3, to see some old teammates and check when they/if will come to sc2.

Level 19
Warcraft III is currently the best game I've ever seen, like, it has a fully functional World Editor with many other 3rd Party Programs to enhance it, there is also a challenge in making maps within a seemingly 'confined' editor unlike the Starcraft II's one. Although I would love to see the day Warcraft III's Battle.Net gets really popular once more, with players filling every corner and maps created every moment.

Level 22
...wat

There are essentially 3 reasons to continue playing Warcraft 3:
1. The lore was pretty good (although it violently held Starcraft to the floor and ripped it off) before WoW froze it into a single point in time and started raping it.
2. Because only custom games in SC2 have heroes.
3. Because you're going to have to wait a while to see non-shitty SC2 custom maps, and it might not even be free.

You forgot about number 4:

Because people prefer WC III over SC II.

Level 15
No and no. Positioning in War3 is very important, just as much, only units die slower.
Not quite. In WC3 the micro is a lot different. If you micro well enough you can pull yourself out of any situation, regardless of position (unless you get caught in a choke or completely surrounded, which is a micro problem in of itself).

Micro is a lot more in War3... SC2's a macro game in case you dont know, it will never have more micro than war3, lol that's just funny to say.
yes, I don't know why I said micro. mistake on my part.

And also when you attack your enemy in war3 also very important, when you will creepjack, when you will expect him to creep at a certain place...
The same thing can be said for Starcraft. The whole basis of using your macro over your micro is to put yourself in a good overall position with expos and economy. If you don't harass in Starcraft and especially if you don't expo in Starcraft, you'll definitely lose.

Just because there are no creeps in Starcraft as compared to Warcraft III doesn't make it any less risky to throw down an expansion. Especially considering it's more valuable in Starcraft to expand than Warcraft III.

I have never seen a pro Starcraft player win without any expansion. However, while it's generally a rule of thumb, many players don't need to expand to win in Warcraft III.

QUOTE]

Level 11
The same thing can be said for Starcraft. The whole basis of using your macro over your micro is to put yourself in a good overall position with expos and economy. If you don't harass in Starcraft and especially if you don't expo in Starcraft, you'll definitely lose.
QUOTE]

This is why i hate SC. More gold = More units = 100% victory. Its not about
micro. Right-click to enemy army and hope you win.
:ogre_rage: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUnny

Status
Not open for further replies.