• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Are you still playing Warcraft III?

Do you still play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I mean that Warcraft III is good in a lot of ways, and the fact that majority of people still play Warcraft III is a fact.

Level 22
Not quite. In WC3 the micro is a lot different. If you micro well enough you can pull yourself out of any situation, regardless of position (unless you get caught in a choke or completely surrounded, which is a micro problem in of itself).

Now you're speaking my language. Indeed, SC2 punishes you a lot more as there is no scroll of tp, And this specificity of SC2 makes up for the lack of the war3 micro that actually made war3 so cool, so that SC2 can also be cool based on such mistakes.

You're also right about expansions. In the first years of the game as a Human pros respectively all below built very rarely expansions, only on LT but the last 3-4 years Hu just expands almost all the time and it became part of the hu gameplay. And in SC2 you build more than one more often than in war3, as SC2 is more of macro. This is what I have trouble with in SC2 - owning the map with expansions and massing units cause in War3 you build less expands, less units. My micro was better than many of my oppos who werent pros and I didnt need to mass much more to win, war3 wasnt about more units if no micro.

I think its because:

1.) The game is really good to play (nice campaigns + "normal" game)
2.) So many custom maps that users can play and of different genre so it can satisfy the wants of players whether they want RPG, AoS, Arena, Shooters etc...
3.) Because even if there lots of other RTS out there, its unique (its not just SC2 that battles wc3, there are a lot more RTS out there like C&C (they released two C&C 3 and 4 over the last few years), Red Alert, Supreme Commander, Empire Earth)

Level 13
while i prefer wc3 for the moment over sc2...some of you are bashing sc2 too much. if my computer could run sc2 properly i'd play both multiplayer. of course i'd stay away from sc2 custom games and play the ladder there. and play wc3 custom games. if my computer could run sc2 i might try to make maps for it but it can't and i still have stuff i haven't done in wc3 yet that i want to do.

Level 11
.....because all maps are free! You buy warcraft and download a thousand maps for free.
and it takes about 2 to 3 yrs. for a person to play these maps, and when he is done with it he is addicted to wc3 like anything. Chances are he would make a few maps too, encouraging more player, more map makers and the cycle goes on.

Level 19
And don't forget that Hive Workshop is mainly based on Warcraft first, and the fact that the World Editor is pretty fun to toy with :p

Level 5
SC2 custom games completely out-date WC3 custom games though.

Incorrect.

Basically everything on starcraft 2 editor is inferior to the wc3 editor. The UI, the terrain editing.. they really couldnt make it more annoying and unfriendly to use.
All that people on sc2 are doing right now are cloning things we've seen hundreds of times in wc3 (e.g footmen wars, races etc) and i really dont see a future as far as custom games are concerned. There just isnt and will never be the resources available for making such a variety of maps we have seen in wc3.

Level 19
I fully support the fact that even with Starcraft II and Garena around, Warcraft III will survive and most importantly, Blizzard will find a way to make Battle.Net more popular again instead of letting people download the game illegally and playing on Garena:)

warcraft III will stay good to play for a long time coz its good and offers very good variety of games... and playing only new generation games would be stressful after some time... its better to play a mixture of new gen + not so old to old games... fun retro games do not die you know, they're always fun to play... so when the time that war3 can be considered retro already it will still be fun to play...

+ WARCRAFTIII RULES!!!!!!!!!

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Original ideas will come in time. people are still overwhelmed by sc2's new features. It's like going from a good old reliable model T to a "fully equipped" lexus. Lots of fancy useless shit, but you'll find a way to use it eventually.
I kinda agree with him. I still prefer wc3 custom games over sc2 custom games. That's why I for now is still mapping for wc3 until I decide to jump over sc2, althought the maps I work on would be 10 times better for sc2 since it's naturally futuristic space themed while warcraft is naturally magic themed medival which fits better for rpgs and other kinds of maps.

However a few good maps begin to appear now on sc2, like cataclysm but it's replayability is completely broken cuz of insane minerals gain. Concepts used in star carnage proves that sc2 fits better for arcade style than in wc3. I think wc3 wil still be king of medival themed maps while I rather play futuristic like maps in sc2.

My reason that Wc3 is still good to play cuz there isn't enough good maps in sc2 yet that I can get addicted to, also sc2 players are way to impatient for games to fill if there is few joining. Hard to get through popularity ladder.

Level 19
Seconded on the custom games part, TKF.

I just saw a video of an interview, Blizzard mentioned that they would upgrade Warcraft III forever:)

Seconded on the custom games part, TKF.

I just saw a video of an interview, Blizzard mentioned that they would upgrade Warcraft III forever:)

that would be really nice... maybe they can add more functions to the current WE and maybe implement those NYI in the gameplay constants... and increase again the max LAN/Bnet map file size!... ^^

Level 19
Who knows, they could even upgrade the World Editor to become like the Galaxy Editor in a patch, or maybe better. Maybe they could even link Warcraft III and Warcraft IV together somehow, with campaigns and everything transferred.

PS: Instead of just upgrading it to be like the Galaxy Editor, they could make the Editor have three different types - Galaxy Editor, World Editor and some Upgraded World Editor which has more functions than the Galaxy Editor and players can choose which one to create their map in during any given time (There would be three options somewhere in the Editor). But that would need time and maybe a better computer.

Level 18
You do realize they will never do that. Blizzard isn't really interested in enhancing the World Editor. That would be a huge waste of time that they need for their precious WoW.

I won't switch to SC2 until model editing tools for it are released.

Last edited:
Level 4
In my country most of the Warcraft III player (90%) only play DOTA. (I hate it)

In my opinion, World Editor is the main reason which cause the players ability to create their own maps, own ideas which make Warcraft III more interesting to play. Also most of the famous map (99.99%) isn't created by Blizzard but from other players.

Another reason is (in my country) it cost only the CD to set up Warcraft III, play it and then nothing more. (Most of the thing is free unlike other games)

:goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job::goblin_good_job:

You do realize they will never do that. Blizzard isn't really interested in enhancing the World Editor. That would be a huge waste of time that they need for their precious WoW.

I won't switch to SC2 until model editing tools for it are released.

doesnt blizzard have different teams for every game they have?

Level 9
Even though Warcraft 3 cannot keep up with the graphics of the more modern games, the reason why it is good to play is that GREAT PEOPLE ADD NEW STUFF TO IT, like great models, skins, maps, spells, triggers and everything they randomly want to put in

Level 15
In my opinion, World Editor is the main reason which cause the players ability to create their own maps, own ideas which make Warcraft III more interesting to play. Also most of the famous map (99.99%) isn't created by Blizzard but from other players.

Not really...there are more amateur/professional players for ladder than there are for all other WC3 custom games combined...

That's what keeps it alive. The pro scene. Still keeps evolving even though BM is imba and UD is fucked.

Level 19
Somehow, I am inferring that despite all the 'Warcraft Apocalypse Rumors', Warcraft III will still stay alive for a long time, and sooner or later once Blizzard unleashes their patch (One that was heard from an interview stating that they would upgrade the Warcraft III engine) people would start to flood in again, and it'll be like a cycle. Because Warcraft III consists of so many games to play, it's pretty hard to get bored of it considering that hundreds or even thousands of players make maps every single day, and the fact that a lot of my friends have been attracted back to Warcraft III too recently:)

Somehow, I am inferring that despite all the 'Warcraft Apocalypse Rumors', Warcraft III will still stay alive for a long time, and sooner or later once Blizzard unleashes their patch (One that was heard from an interview stating that they would upgrade the Warcraft III engine) people would start to flood in again, and it'll be like a cycle. Because Warcraft III consists of so many games to play, it's pretty hard to get bored of it considering that hundreds or even thousands of players make maps every single day, and the fact that a lot of my friends have been attracted back to Warcraft III too recently:)

+even the ladder games are really fun to play...

Level 19
Endless possibilities, I hope Blizzard starts working on it more again after they're done with some other games. (Which I don't happen to like :x)

Level 19
Good news everyone! A friend of mine who knows a staff of Blizzard Entertainment personally told me that Blizzard is currently working on a lot of ways to improve Warcraft III and make it better for the current community, they are hoping people who play on the Local Area Network would be convinced to buy their disc too. On top of that, a new patch would be released soon which might increase the current population of people playing Warcraft III, so stay tuned:)

TKF

TKF

Level 19
Miss_Foxy (Post invisible/deleted) said:
Good news everyone! A friend of mine who knows a staff of Blizzard Entertainment personally told me that Blizzard is currently working on a lot of ways to improve Warcraft III and make it better for the current community, they are hoping people who play on the Local Area Network would be convinced to buy their disc too. On top of that, a new patch would be released soon which might increase the current population of people playing Warcraft III, so stay tuned:)

WC3 does also have clans, which is still missing in SC2. Channels are good, but clans kinda creates a team and a small friend circle.

Level 19
I really really hope that DotA 2 wouldn't steal players from Warcraft III though, to me it's just another copy of DotA with a pay to play system and a weak gameplay compared to the current one in Warcraft III.

Level 5
Reason that I'll stay with WC3 is
I love medieval theme, it can be play over LAN.
There's server for my country, lot of playable maps to choose from.
More RPG feeling, I always think that SC2 is suits for 1st/3rd Personal Shooting.
And I'm working on Dracrystalian Guardians.

Also, I always hope for possible expansion for WC3, a Pre-Story WoW (if contains campagin.) which also contains lot of improvement for WE and all WoW Icon and models!

Level 20
Because it havent changed to any worse. It is still the great game that it used to be.

Nowadays a lot of games are turning into abominations after thousands of patches and community just quits the game. But sadly Warcraft 3 is getting very low populated because nobody nowadays respects good games. They just play games because they are popular and such...

Level 9
well there's something about the theme making me want to go back to it. Interesting storyline(really really interesting). Although there is room for improvement, it's still the best(the only game I am able to constantly own and play for years)

Level 3
Because Blizzard still updates it.. Sometimes, and there are SO many custom maps. I know of no other game with so many good custom maps except for Starcraft 1, Starcraft 2 is soon there, but not yet.
Plus I like to RP in WC3 way better than in SC2 ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.