• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How much warcraft III is going to live?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
As title says , I wonder how much time Warcraft III is going to survive? I mean since 2002 (if I'm not wrong) till now , 15 years! it's a very long time for a game ! lots of game released in this time with high quality and graphics and I think Warcraft III players are going less and less everyday , because a 15 years old boy in 2002 in now 30! probably has 2 childs! and ofc new players won't go on old games with low graphics and end of DotA release I think was the last hit to Warcraft.
so after that , what's gonna happen to sites like hive ?
Is there another game which has something powerful like worldedit to give non-professional people ability to make games ? so we can switch to that game.

Level 32
As title says , I wonder how much time Warcraft III is going to survive? I mean since 2002 (if I'm not wrong) till now , 15 years! it's a very long time for a game ! lots of game released in this time with high quality and graphics and I think Warcraft III players are going less and less everyday , because a 15 years old boy in 2002 in now 30! probably has 2 childs! and ofc new players won't go on old games with low graphics and end of DotA release I think was the last hit to Warcraft.
I'll give it another 10 until it's going to be very difficult to find games without friends or a set group. That's what a lot of people consider dead, people games can't physically die. But how long will thousands of people around the world still play it? I think it's going to be much much longer than 10 years. The most dedicated fans will continue on, with or without Blizzard's support for the servers in the future. Let us be the grandpas and grandmas reliving our glory days in WC3 ;)
so after that , what's gonna happen to sites like hive ?
This question was asked many times years ago, and some answered that we'd switch to Starcraft 2 or die out. To this day, Hive is still the main hub for modding WC3 (English wise, there's Chinese and Russian modding sites too). I imagine that Hive still will be here 10 years in the future, but with more emphasis on other games.
Is there another game which has something powerful like worldedit to give non-professional people ability to make games ? so we can switch to that game.
SC2 and Dota 2 are your best bets!

Level 19
sc2? dont be silly. this game unable to make anything worthy due to retarded EULA. Game become dead even before released. It's a chance purely for old starcraft, but not wc3.
and dota2 has tons of downsides too, like valve keep breaking compatibility time to time, and YOU have to deal with it, no matter what. I'd rather say not, unless you're really dedicated to it.
and about wc3. 10 years its very fucking optimistic. just in a 3-4 years there would be another massive drop as the primary player base of poor countries are either schoolboys, either working men. 1st will graduate to uni, 2nd will get paid and buy new PC for modern games. 3-4 years span is more than enough to do so.

wc3 has NOT player base source, has NO support from developers and NOTHING to keep players inside. Custom map makers - the only thing which made wc3 live that far - stalling in the trash can of wc3 limits. Every day its another loss of players. Thanks Blizzard devs, who actually MADE this game. And fuck those managers who decided to ditch it lately.

Level 4
I'll give it another 10 until it's going to be very difficult to find games without friends or a set group. That's what a lot of people consider dead, people games can't physically die. But how long will thousands of people around the world still play it? I think it's going to be much much longer than 10 years. The most dedicated fans will continue on, with or without Blizzard's support for the servers in the future. Let us be the grandpas and grandmas reliving our glory days in WC3 ;)
well , I think 10 years is too optimistic.for example , DotA 2 has more than 15 million players , and I bet more than half of them switched from DotA 1 to Dota 2 which means 7 million player loss in short period .
And as I see in Hive , new developed maps have at most 2000 downloads that I think number is not so big.

and dota2 has tons of downsides too, like valve keep breaking compatibility time to time, and YOU have to deal with it, no matter what. I'd rather say not, unless you're really dedicated to it.
and about wc3. 10 years its very fucking optimistic. just in a 3-4 years there would be another massive drop as the primary player base of poor countries are either schoolboys, either working men. 1st will graduate to uni, 2nd will get paid and buy new PC for modern games. 3-4 years span is more than enough to do so.
yea , I think most of wc3 players these days are the one with low pc (which will get a new one soon) or nostalgic game lovers like me. btw about DotA 2 , I had never test it but I think its a good idea , although it may need pc upgrades time to time but that's how tech is , people keep upgrading their pcs , and ofc those HQ models used in arcade games of DotA 2 are interesting

Last edited:
Level 19
well , I think 10 years is too optimistic.for example , DotA 2 has more than 15 million players , and I bet more than half of them switched from DotA 1 to Dota 2 which means 7 million player loss in short period .
And as I see in Hive , new developed maps have at most 2000 downloads that I think number is not so big.
take a note that most downloads are still going from 3rd party sites, local hubs, etc. hive maybe biggest mod community site but not players one

Level 21
I think 10 years is reasonable, but many will debate that it's not alive anymore then, like they do already...

New native functions (for new possibilities = better maps - for funmap players and makers), cheater control (for classical players), might spark some interest again, but i wouldn't count on it.

Best thing happening would be Warcraft 4 with an improved and easy to use editor. - I would count even less on that scenario, because of reasons mentioned above.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I would have moved on with Arkain to another game YEARS ago if there had been another strategy game with similar modding capacities (wouldn't even have to be RTS).
Sadly, there is none to date.
Embarassing.

If they ever add a campaign editor to TWW, I'm gonna so gonna move to modding that game instead.

As long as there is no alternative to WC3, it will stay alive for modders

Level 19
Wc3 is in a unique position in the RTS market having a larger and growing user base, and full developer support. No one needs to be concerned.
Minecraft is in a unique position in the block-builder market having a larger and growing user base, and full developer support. No one needs to be concerned.
I can put there any title and it will work. show me where's user base growing? Who bought 17-yo game today? Especially RTS. Developer support means nothing for players, btw

Level 19
Using my extrasensorical abilities I found this pic:
iwafVsr.png

from here
see that spike prior to 2016 dec? that was wc3 patch announce. Since then popularity went down even more.

but what about worldwide popularity?
mYWn4zN.png

well, poorest countries are still interested, for a bit.

let's take a look at dota2, the game which could belong to blizzard but they were way too greedy and didn't improve the game as good as Icefrog wanted back then, so he had to move on with better parties:
NkdPxJ1.png

thats what I can call "supported by developers" game. That what I can call "trying to attract new players". That what I call a large, re-growing back and forward player base.

Warcraft itself is dying franchise:
Yv8deuD.png

movie wasnt that good for fans, and simply overtuned for newbies. but w/e thats just speculations.

how many times you gonna throw shovels of bullshit to me, @Kam? With all the respect I have for you, making any statements about great future is nonsence if game cannot even hold old players in.

E: and then this case: WCA getting rid of WC3, thanks to Blizzard. The only primary tour on this game get cancelled. Growing my shit, man.

Last edited:
I can assure you the internal number are quite different. The player base in China is enormous - larger than I ever thought Wc3 would be (including circa 2006).

I apologize, truly, that I am not able to share more with all of you. For now you will need to be satisfied with having information given to you that you would normally never receive.

Level 7
I can assure you the internal number are quite different. The player base in China is enormous - larger than I ever thought Wc3 would be (including circa 2006).

I apologize, truly, that I am not able to share more with all of you. For now you will need to be satisfied with having information given to you that you would normally never receive.
I see no reason why @DracoL1ch should believe you. There's no reason to believe something without fact support. Maybe it's information you can't provide source it's anything but faith.

I won't believe an invisble dragon exists in your garage even though you have privileged information. We'll hold onto speculation and hope, that's it.

I see no reason why @DracoL1ch should believe you. There's no reason to believe something without fact support. Maybe it's information you can't provide source it's anything but faith.

I won't believe an invisble dragon exists in your garage even though you have privileged information. We'll hold onto speculation and hope, that's it.

Those of us under NDA are limited as to what we can share. If we want to share anything we ask Blizzard first. No one is forced to believe anything. We are a great resource for you as a community. Legitimate concerns are welcome and we pass those on to the wonderful people working to make this all happen.

Level 7
Those of us under NDA are limited as to what we can share. If we want to share anything we ask Blizzard first. No one is forced to believe anything. We are a great resource for you as a community. Legitimate concerns are welcome and we pass those on to the wonderful people working to make this all happen.
So you're saying you're the messias of the Wacraft RTS universe and you're comming to guide us to the path to the truth and future of the Wacraft RTS universe?

So you're saying you're the messias of the Wacraft RTS universe and you're comming to guide us to the path to the truth and future of the Wacraft RTS universe?

We are here to make sure this process goes as smoothly as it can. Understand there will be issues, that is unavoidable when you are remaking a game that is 15 years old. If you have specific concerns that have not already been addressed we will pass them along.

Reactions: pyf
Level 7
We are here to make sure this process goes as smoothly as it can. Understand there will be issues, that is unavoidable when you are remaking a game that is 15 years old. If you have specific concerns that have not already been addressed we will pass them along.
Is there any official information about the topics that will be addressed in this patch yet?

Level 19
nah, I'd won't say I don't trust Kam, I dont believe that wc3 has any future, especially as RTS, thats all.
so you want to ensure me that the fact chinese still playing 1.24 mainly and very few of platforms moved to 1.26 (sic) is popularity of wc3 and it's patches?

The fact that W3Arena, biggest ladder-oriented community refused to move to new patches, because amount of efforts they put to improve HUD isn't even remotely comparable with the shitty 27+ patch?
video of the ingame HUD

if fans ever wanted anything, W3A is pretty much the biggest thing which represent them, and blizz pissed over them.

I don't know what kind of China you're talking about. All the mails I received so far are related to 24/26 patches. Barely anyone there needs new patches, thanks to Dota, which is, I believe, still counted as WC3 populartiy, while it really isn't.

Level 32
nah, I'd won't say I don't trust Kam, I dont believe that wc3 has any future, especially as RTS, thats all.

so you want to ensure me that the fact chinese still playing 1.24 mainly and very few of platforms moved to 1.26 (sic) is popularity of wc3 and it's patches?

The fact that W3Arena, biggest ladder-oriented community refused to move to new patches, because amount of efforts they put to improve HUD isn't even remotely comparable with the shitty 27+ patch?
video of the ingame HUD

if fans ever wanted anything, W3A is pretty much the biggest thing which represent them, and blizz pissed over them.

I don't know what kind of China you're talking about. All the mails I received so far are related to 24/26 patches. Barely anyone there needs new patches, thanks to Dota, which is, I believe, still counted as WC3 populartiy, while it really isn't.
Nah, some guys from W3A have been in contact with with Blizz as well. They know that they don't need to patch, because they know that they just need to keep stable until their wishes of BNet ladder are granted. Simple as that.

Also, China is massive on NetEase, an effective server Blizzard and the local branch of Blizzard in China is maintaining. They set that up only a couple of years ago. Most people from China, and nearly all the melee players from there, use that.

Level 14
sc2? dont be silly. this game unable to make anything worthy due to retarded EULA. Game become dead even before released. It's a chance purely for old starcraft, but not wc3.
I'm utterly inexperienced about the subject but I'm interested in understanding what the sentence means. What has changed in the EULA in Sc2, compared to the ones of Warcraft III? How exactly has it become impossible to make worthy user-made content?

Could someone briefly explain in a noob-friendly way what's meant by the quoted sentence? ty

Edit: correction of typos

Level 11
Blizzard essentially tried to claim ownership of every sc2 map made so that if another game like Dota showed up they could steal it.

Remember that Blizzard sued Valve over Dota (and settled out of court). They want better legal standing next time to claim other people's work.

Blizzard essentially tried to claim ownership of every sc2 map made so that if another game like Dota showed up they could steal it.

Remember that Blizzard sued Valve over Dota (and settled out of court). They want better legal standing next time to claim other people's work.

The issue was not over DotA itself, but the implied association with Blizzard. They never claimed to outright own DotA, only that players would see the brand that had been established in a Blizzard platform and assume Blizzard was somehow behind DotA 2. Now Valve owns rights to DotA 2, and Blizzard owns rights to DotA in Wc3 and Sc2.

If you're interested part of my degree was in business law and IP law. In the U.S. we operate on precedence law which means that a company's previous actions have bearing on future disputes. A common example is when a brand loses it's protection as a result of not protecting it's name. You probably have used an escalator at some point. While now a generic term it was actually a brand owned by Otis Elevator. They lost rights to the brand after using escalator as a generic term in house and in public.

So what's this have to do with IP law?

Say Blizzard said nothing about DotA 2, and then five years later get into a dispute about a new product based on DotA. A court will look back for previous instances where Blizzard dealt with the DotA brand, and likely determine they are unable hold exclusive rights to the name for that new product because they made little or no effort to protect their rights previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.