• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"To Live is to Die"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I have been playing Warcraft III from the very beginnining. 2002 is when Reign of Chaos came out. I was playing mini games since I was 8 years old. Expecially that awesome War Chasers game, or at least I thought it was cool at the time. The Frozen came out in 2003, and thats when mum and dad first let me play Battlenet. I learn the what a noob and a pro is. I learnt what a keyboard warrior and a rager was, and that people didnt always name their game according to what the game actually was :)

I remember my brother telling me they had massive competitions with Dota with huge prize pools. Maybe my brother was exaggerating. Maybe Dota was as big as he made it out to be. I suppose LoL, HoN and Dota 2 have branched from the roots of Dota

A few years later (maybe 2006-7) stupid host bots started to take over the gateways. Social aspect began degrading as nobody hosted games anymore disallowing new custom games to flow into the community. My cousins introduced me to a gateway called "Bored Aussie". It also fixed the mad delay I use to get, probebly because it was mainly an Australian server. For years it was a great server, receiving messages like "Bored Aussie has broken the population record of 4000". It was lively. I got stuck right into Dota at this time and I first started making noob maps around this time too.

That basically leads me to today. It brings a tear to my eye to see 110 users in the morning logged on. About 270 users at night. Bored Aussie tries to send more invites, but players are leaving Warcraft III. I don't mind a low number of users if I managed to get people to fill up the game rooms of the maps I make in the World Editor. But it seems so slow, lonely, and I usually log off after 10 minutes of waiting for nobody. I am not saying goodbye to warcraft III, not yet anyway. But warcraft's end is near. And each heartbeat towards it's end gets slower and slower until it inevitabely stops.

"To Live is to Die". Its the sad truth of life :(

Level 16
Bored Aussie is a new loader which adds a new gateway to Warcraft 3. It is bot free and mainly populated by Australians.

Can somebody explain to me what Garena is? Is it free of bots and lag. Is it predominatley English speaking people and is there a half decent population? I would love to see more than 3 games on the custom game list which arnt bots again.

garena is a third party program that does shit and allows u to play on lan against ppl from everywhere. it is free of bots, not free of lag unless ur playing ppl close to you (there will be a ping). it is mostly english speaking, and there is a half deccent population. however, most play dota, and u shud really only play on garena w/ friends. i could play a few games w/ u some time.

Level 16
garena is a third party program that does shit and allows u to play on lan against ppl from everywhere.

This wouldn't happen to be like that program "Hamachi"? The one which is commonly used for Minecraft. If so I think I understand how it works. You said its a third party program, but do you play games from within Warcraft Battlenet, on the LAN of Warcraft 3, or externally to the game?

Level 14
I am conflicted.

On one hand I agree that Garena and Hamachi (with other VPN based programs) solely pushed the major game publications to develop games without LAN and Offline Mode, and it's really a bad outcome for gamers everywhere.

On the other hand, whenever I see the words 'License" it reminds me of why movies are produced in LA and not NY. And that's because dear old Benjamin Franklin had patented the act of film making in NY, and if you wanted to produce a movie in NY, you had to pay royalties to said Benjamin Franklin. So that's why the business started in the opposite corner of the country, namely LA, California. Basically it reminds me how low some Americans people stoop in other to gain larger and larger profits.

I agree that we should all pay for what we enjoy, but in certain if not many cases, third party programs are better than what you pay for from the game developer.

Garena should not be used and we should all kiss Blizzards ass because they just partnered up with Sony.

DSG what you just said right there was a low-blow to small developers, who are just at their start, and a big high-five to the big game developer corporations which throw a large shadow upon the current gaming industry and upon the current generations of children.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Garena should not be used and we should all kiss Blizzards ass because they just partnered up with Sony.
There is a 90% chance that Diablo III is also comming to Xbox360 and Xbox as well however that information will logically be posponed until the new Xbox is revealed. Even the Wii U might be getting it in time (the controls need more adaptation for it).

DSG what you just said right there was a low-blow to small developers, who are just at their start, and a big high-five to the big game developer corporations which throw a large shadow upon the current gaming industry and upon the current generations of children.
Um no? I was complaining about people abusing the specification of LAN which is unsafe and mostly used to cheat developers out of their money.

Very old games used to have a "direct connect" option where you entered the IP of a host and it would connect to them. This required no virtual LAN as it used standard IPv4 protocols for address resolution and did not need to build a list of nearby hosts.

Level 14
You just said people shouldn't use Garena because it's a third party soft which violates a license and many people are playing pirated games on it.

Yeah, okay, I agree with all those things except the part that I shouldn't use it. I should use it, because as it's the case with many many games, you pay $$$ and the online server side is either bad, unstable or even both. And I want to play my game, and I want to play it with a friend who isn't necessarily in LAN with me, at that point yes, I will use a third party software. Me not using a third party software to enjoy a game when needed, means that I am stuck to the large corporation who develops the game, for which I already payed and if they decide to not upgrade their server side, I bet there will be no refunds.

Competition, it needs to exists, and not just between big developers, but also between big and small developers. Give a chance to the small developer to grow, with his third party software, maybe he has good ideas, maybe he is better than the big developer.

Level 6
Bored Aussie is a pos. I run a gaming league that uses a host bot . It is lag free for players across the world. Without a bot I could not rank game stats. Why the hell would BA have an exclusive server when wc3 is mostly dead? Have fun playing games with 30 australians. Sounds like retard logic to me.

Level 16
Without a bot I could not rank game stats.

Thats the thing. In BA, everyone hosts games themselves. And guess what? People join them because theres no bots. The trouble with Blizzard servers is that nobody can host a game. Everything must be run through a bot for a chance of getting players into your lobby. Sad system. Bots are an abomination to the game.

Why the hell would BA have an exclusive server when wc3 is mostly dead?

BA was made many years ago during the prime time of Warcraft 3. BA did not have trouble getting a player base. BA was designed to be bot free (which it was successful in) and to be lag free for Australians (not meaning it was neccicarily closed to Australia). Years ago 1500-2000 players was normal at night. During the day, 500-1000 players were logged on. Dota games filled up super faster, other games filled up fast too. Will BA shut down soon? If the player base continues to drop, it probebly will. The exclusive server was a great idea, but the time is now passing unfortunately.

Have fun playing games with 30 australians.

Well, as I said in the day, there were plenty of users. Today, with the decreasing player base in WC3, BA is also suffering. 100 users in the day, 250 at night on average. Your a little off with "30".

Sounds like retard logic to me.

You sadly got it all wrong mate.

Level 6
You talk about the past. This is not the past, this is now. So... why not change the policies? Lol its a pvpgn its not specially made... bots would work fine. To exclude services like mine because of a longstanding archaic policy is fail. All I do is hsot one unobtrusive game with a persistent name. Players simply have to type risk and then they can play a ranked game with elite strategical playing. Not all bots are bad, but what has happened to regular bnet is bad. BA should allow some bot run services. Your logic is flawed and skewed. 30 was to make a point that there are little members... not intended to be an accurate player count. You should have been able to figure this out.

Level 16
You talk about the past. This is not the past,

You are attacking BA because there is no player base. That its stupid to be here with nobody actually logging onto it. Dude, the player base drop was only recent. Whats your point, BA shouldn't have been created because it had 4000 users back the the day? What is your point! Because it isn't making sense. I even said that BA will probebly shut down in months to come if the player base does not increase. Thats kind of, flawless logic.

So... why not change the policies?

Why change the policies. I'm happy with the current system, and dislike the system that you describe.

archaic policy

Your just another guy who thinks everything old is not worth keeping. A lot of people don't like the new form of matchmaking that is arising.

Players simply have to type risk and then they can play a ranked game with elite strategical playing.

Yeah, this is what I mean. People use to host games and get joiners. With bots coming in, new games are ignored and bots are dominant. The same games are played and it gets repititive. This is definately bad for a modding community. I also love how you go on to say "ranked game with elite strategical playing". Not relevant.

BA should allow some bot run services.

Conclusion: no.

Your logic is flawed and skewed.

No, don't insult my intelligence. I just have a different view of "perfect". It is not wrong, just like you arn't wrong. I play BA for no bots. Thats a big thing about BA. Dont bring your garbage into it...

You should have been able to figure this out.

Maybe you shouldn't exxagerate in order to make your arguement more appealing. There is a significant difference between 250 and 30.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.