• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Now that you mention that is true. But they haven't denied possibility of new campaigns - I actually think they are very likely to do so.

Blizzard mentioned that both, Classic Warcraft 3 and Reforged will be on the same Launcher on Battle.net.

End of Arthas story - that's all what Wc3 needs.
Another campaign about fight with Lich King(Arthas). That's all.
(They could do something about Forsaken and Kiljaden also.)

Then Wc4 can be prequel or something after-WoW.

:D it had its differences though. A bit incomparable if you ask me.
They overhauled the light engine in cataclysm and remade a lot of existing content. I don't see how this is very different.

I mean... just think about it: Blizzard getting some guy on stage telling us that we get a full fledged expansion with a new campaign and updated graphics to a 15 year old game. People would go NUTS! I kinda feel that they decided to remake the old campaign is such a wasted opportunity...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Zwiebelchen , I'm actually super-on-board for the idea of just calling it an Expansion... But I think that's the thing. Calling it an Expansion would've greatly pleased old fogies like us because it's sort of tapping into the nostalgia & the joy & the general feel of what's being made.

However, by doing so, they miss out on the opportunity of calling it a Remaster (or in this case "Reforged"), which has a whole different sense of cultural & emotional weight behind it, for (what I would argue is) a much broader audience than just "old nostalgia fogies" like ourselves.

I mean people would be excited either way, IMO. But what's a "bigger deal" to the layman; a simple "Expansion" to an old game, or a "complete Remaster" of an old game? (even if the amount of work is the same (mostly visibly, the visual changes))

• There will be a reforged version of the orginal UI. (03:40)
  • Reforge will offer female versions of male Heroes and vice versa (07:10)
  • Lan function will be kept. (07:40)
  • Ingame watch other peoples games (12:00)
  • A big Patch will be deployed proably in February/or somewhere in Spring: "having an huge amount of improvements to the editor" (13:42)
  • Rework/Upgrading the Tile-System (19:18)
There might be more informations which I did not mention.

Last edited:
Level 11
  • There will be a reforged version of the orginal UI. (03:40)
  • Reforge will offer female versions of male Heroes and vice versa (07:10)
  • Lan function will be kept. (07:40)
  • Ingame watch other peoples games (12:00)
  • A big Patch will be deployed proably in February/or somewhere in Spring: "having an huge amount of improvements to the editor" (13:42)
  • Rework/Upgrading the Tile-System (19:18)
There might be more informations which I did not mention.
Thanks for that.
He also said:
  • Tools for modding will be out before Reforged is released (10:55)
  • There will be a beta, date unknown (14:55)
  • There is no plan at the moment about adding new content (new race, new units, new campaign...) (16:10)
  • There is no plan to implement co-op gameplay at the moment (18:04)
  • Blizzard is thinking about ways to help new players figuring how the game works (18:16)
  • Selection of more than 12 units: it's technically possible, the devs are open about it and there are discussions about it (20:03)
It was a very interesting interview :)

Last edited:
Level 8
In my opinion, they should just make a wc4 whose story is familiar in some ways, but diverges in ways that make sense instead of trying to just copy WoW whose story is actually pretty bad and was always secondary to the gameplay of a MMORPG. A strategy like wc3, well, the story isn't punished nearly so harshly by the restrictions of game mechanics.

Also, in my dream version we don't have plot armor trash characters like Sylvanas. Which is not to say that Sylvanas is inherently a terrible character, but she becomes one when she exists with absolute impunity in a world where not merely Arthas, but fucking Sargeras is defeated.

I am sick of SC2 romance novel kerrigan bullshit. The garbage warcraft version of that is playing out in WoW. I hope that if they do any new campaigns that they won't shovel out the same recycled manure, but I honestly I am not that hopeful.

I would be more excited about custom stuff that this community would produce tbh. I am also fairly excited to try my hand again, if I can manage it, at making my Alternate TFT Alliance Campaign.

Level 8
I just don't understand the people asking for new content on a remastered game.

And maybe, just maybe Warcraft Reforged is a "dip in the water" before they begin to consider making Warcraft 4.

I wasn't expecting it, but people are talking about it and I shared some thoughts. They might decide to do something similar to the Nova Covert Ops Mission Packs. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

Attachments

• 803178.jpg
    803178.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,010
Level 13
Maybe it was already clarified at one point but in case it hasn't been, I don't see it on the list for some reason.

The multiplayer experience is currently very high latency compared to modern gaming as they are playing games on dial up servers. That is being changed, right? And why do we have to wait until November 2, 2019 for that change?

Level 6
Maybe it was already clarified at one point but in case it hasn't been, I don't see it on the list for some reason.

The multiplayer experience is currently very high latency compared to modern gaming as they are playing games on dial up servers. That is being changed, right? And why do we have to wait until November 2, 2019 for that change?

I'm fairly sure these changes will be final before Reforged launches.

Level 14
One reason there will be no Warcraft IV because W.o.W. is not yet finished yet. Maybe if the online RPG game gets a reboot or W.o.W. 2.0, we might have Warcraft IV but Blizzard already said, they have no plans of the 4th game and will focus only on the remaster Reforged.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Why would I want a new game's story to be ruined by being constrained by the trash that is WoW lore?
Still missing the point. It's not about you, it's about the many fans out there both WoW's and Warcraft RTS'. Stories can be made in this universe which won't disappoint you, however erasing or changing WoW will not be an option at this point.

Level 8
Azeroth 1, Azeroth 2. The characters don't have to be aware of the other dimensions and it doesn't have to have anything to do with time travel.

Thank you.
It's not my PoV, it's the company's. Did you even inform yourself a bit about Reforged or you just like to contradict in general?

I am not required to conform to or research the party line when expressing my own desires for new content.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I am not required to conform to or research the party line when expressing my own desires for new content.
Nothing stopping you or anyone to make a custom campaign with that. However, if you ask me, from a business point of view, WoW and the Warcraft RTS story lines and characters won't simply be erased because they attract the fans. Sure, a reboot with new characters set in the future after WoW or something like that or a story with new characters in between Warcraft games is possible and they might do it as seen with Diablo: Immortal, however, we'll just have to hope those games won't be for mobile and other platforms than PC.

We'll just have to wait and see. At this point, they are keen on connecting WoW to the RTS games. It's a smart move. Afterwards they can easily go to what you want. This way, they'll have both WoW and Warcraft RTS fans together before releasing a new Warcraft game.

Sorry for being too blunt.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I'm sure there will be a beta, whether a closed beta for preorders will be or not I can't say.
Well...

Warcraft III: Reforged Beta Access - Blizzard Support

@Zwiebelchen , I'm actually super-on-board for the idea of just calling it an Expansion... But I think that's the thing. Calling it an Expansion would've greatly pleased old fogies like us because it's sort of tapping into the nostalgia & the joy & the general feel of what's being made.

However, by doing so, they miss out on the opportunity of calling it a Remaster (or in this case "Reforged"), which has a whole different sense of cultural & emotional weight behind it, for (what I would argue is) a much broader audience than just "old nostalgia fogies" like ourselves.

I mean people would be excited either way, IMO. But what's a "bigger deal" to the layman; a simple "Expansion" to an old game, or a "complete Remaster" of an old game? (even if the amount of work is the same (mostly visibly, the visual changes))
As for me, the 'R' in WC3:R stands for Re-imagined, and not Reforged.

Of course, this is nothing but a personal opinion...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yesterday Will confirmed that LUA is being integrated as a map scripting language. It will operate in parallel to the existing JASS virtual machine and will likely have very limited capabilities for intercommunication between LUA and JASS.

This means full compatibility with existing maps will be maintained. Map makers can take advantage of LUA scripting without breaking any of their existing JASS and slowly port systems across as necessary.

Level 11
Yesterday Will confirmed that LUA is being integrated as a map scripting language. It will operate in parallel to the existing JASS virtual machine and will likely have very limited capabilities for intercommunication between LUA and JASS.
I have very little knowledge about scripting/programming, so I'm not aware of the utility of LUA. But as I understand it, it's quite a big deal. What does it imply for Warcraft III and modding potential?

Level 5

This means full compatibility with existing maps will be maintained. Map makers can take advantage of LUA scripting without breaking any of their existing JASS and slowly port systems across as necessary.

This is a huge deal and makes reforged so much better. I've suggested literally this in the feedback thread but labeled as a "huge undertaking" without really believing they would go through that. Seems like they did! Alleviating the performance, language and tool constraints is very important for both new and old modders. You will be able to use whole IDEs already made for lua, transpile other languages (e.g. Typescript) to lua, LuaJIT performance is stellar and is on par with something like V8 javascript and the language itself while might seem odd at the times is very tightly and rationally designed.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What does it imply for Warcraft III and modding potential?
Not having to use JASS anymore. If you used JASS you would understand why that by itself is an improvement.

LUA is also a frequently used scripting language in games. This would lower the entry experience required to write triggers in Warcraft III as you could come from any other game that uses LUA and feel right at home in Warcraft III. LUA also offers different language features from JASS so might make some systems easier to implement or more performant.
This is a huge deal and makes reforged so much better. I've suggested literally this in the feedback thread but labeled as a "huge undertaking" without really believing they would go through that. Seems like they did! Alleviating the performance, language and tool constraints is very important for both new and old modders. You will be able to use whole IDEs already made for lua, transpile other languages (e.g. Typescript) to lua, LuaJIT performance is stellar and is on par with something like V8 javascript and the language itself while might seem odd at the times is very tightly and rationally designed.
I would not be surprised if the LUA is a general feature coming to Warcraft III and not just Reforged. There is a chance that we will see it before reforged is released but only time will tell.

That said I would not recommend discarding all your JASS triggers when LUA comes around. Only replace them as necessary, even if all new triggers are made with LUA. Especially for larger projects which have several thousand lines of JASS it is not worth while porting it all when the JASS scripts have already been debugged and function perfectly fine.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
They posted that the same day as i posted that. Anyway updated first post :)

Great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.