Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.27b

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Dec 13, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barade

Barade

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've tried the offline installer but cant connect to the Battle.net after using it. I think it crashes too.

2. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    Tried starting Wc3 as Administrator? You have to since Win7+ to connect to Battle.net InGame.

Or at least you had to, Idk if patch fixed it.
    But if you still haven't finished the installation, then Idk

3. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    No you do not...

You never had to...

You need to make sure that you downgrade the permissions of the installation folder, and only the Warcraft III installation folder, to user level so that the game can make changes to it without administrator privileges.

4. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    Idk about u but I had to do that to make it work and also a lot other ppl told me they had to as well, honestly everyone who told me / asked me said that they had to start it as an admin too.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dr. Super Good, I had the exact experience as Freyky. Can you detail this "downgrading of permissions"?

I have even considered reinstalling Warcraft 3 outside of Program Files (in My Documents or some-such) to (hopefully) avoid the issue.

6. KILLCIDE

KILLCIDE

Administrator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My understanding of Program Files is that it is the default installation path of applications. Giving users free write access to this folder would be bad security practice, so by default, Program Files requires admin privileages. Downgrading permissions would either involve actually editing the security tab for the folder, opening up CMD and cooking up some magic, or just simply moving it out of the Program Files.

I keep my WC3 folder outside of Program Files.

7. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    D:\Games\
    That's the spot for games, not in program files.
    Learn to use some proper folder organizing! Bah!

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Program Files is meant to be for games. Just you need to make the game properly. Specifically the game should not write anything to that folder and instead use appropriate other folders.

9. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Go on...

10. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Look at how StarCraft II operates. Things such as logs, banks, screenshots etc are saved to a folder in the user's Documents folder. Cache files and map downloads are saved to a folder in the ProgramData folder. Temporary files might be sent to the temporary files folder. StarCraft II never writes to its Program Files entry, only the Blizzard Application does, which is signed by Blizzard so can, and only during an update.

11. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    OK great, that's how Sc2 does it. How can I make Wc3 do that? Speak to me as if to a simpleton.

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Only Blizzard can. As I said...
    By "you" I was referring to the people who made the game, not anyone on this forum.

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dr. Super Good, I am referring to the post made by you earlier:
    wherein you implied there was something me/us, the end-user, could do to alleviate this issue, rather than Blizzard or whatever.

I am now asking for you to elucidate on this.

14. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    It worked for me when installing it on D:/Games (my 2nd partition of my disk)

To mention I only put it there because I'm waiting for a new disk to arrive from amazon.

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That is because it is something the user can do.

It is how my Warcraft III folder is setup and why I do not run it as an administrator to work.

It is worth noting that my Warcraft III folder came from Windows Vista, even though I am now running Windows 10 (amazing upgrade path!). As such it might have already had slightly relaxed permissions. It also was installed from original discs, so maybe the downloadable install works slightly differently.

In any case what should work is selecting the Warcraft III folder, going to properties, going to security and then using that tab to iteratively set all contents of the Warcraft III folder to have full control permission with the current user account or all user accounts. This way it no longer needs administrator permission to write to the folder.

Be aware that exclusions take priority over inclusions. As such if any permission that includes the user's account has an exclusion over the folder then it will not allow the user to modify the folder. In such a case remove the exclusion.

16. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    The time I had to run it as an admin I installed it via a disc, but now I got it from battle.net.

I think the way of installation has no influence on the permissions.

17. Aroden

Aroden

Resources:
    Resources:
    If Blazzard is reading the wishlist like we think they might be, MMH and other bots may be a thing of the past.

18. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    I remember when ppl already used to download for 15mins with the old map limit, wtf happens when it's 128 now. Lol

Like me, I should have a DL speed of 10 MB/s but in Wc3 I've only got max. 700 KB/s

19. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    oh delicious
    the only thing blizz ever done with their last patches is limit increase, and yet people ask mapmakers not to do that. are you special kind if moron or what? very few maps today being spreaded as "dl from random host", normally people get into via friends who recommend and give links to donwload.

20. Freyky

Freyky

Resources:
    Resources:
    When you would've read it properly you would've seen that he only mentioned to keep the DL speed in mind and not making it unnecessary big.
    No1 said that you should keep it at or below 8MB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.