• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cannot get past the "Downloading Update" part of Battle.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have been trying to get onto Battle.net for over 24 hours now. It seemed to download the new patch successfully, and gave me the usual prompt to restart the game. However, once I clicked 'restart', I had to manually go back in the game, then when I clicked Battle.net again, it gave me the same "Downloading Update" bar as before; only this time, it auto-finished because the update was already done. It then had me restart WC3 again. So I went back in, tried to get on Battle.net, and it did the same thing. And again. And again.

What do I have to do to clear this bug up? Do I need to delete the patch and re-download it? I did notice it kept trying to run a command line prompt program called "MoviePatcher" in the Warcraft 3 folder, if that's any help.

Level 3
A buddy of mine says MoviePatcher has never been a file associated with Warcraft 3, that it would never need something like that for its cinematics, and that it simply shouldn't be there. I Googled "blizzard moviepatcher" and "warcraft 3 moviepatcher", and the only reference I found is this very forum topic I just posted earlier. Something screwy is going on here, guys.

Has anyone else found an application file named "MoviePatcher" in their Warcraft 3 folder yet? I would Pastebin it here using Hive's Pastebin for anyone who wants to see mine, but sadly, .exe files can't be uploaded to a pastebin.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You might wish to send this file to Pastebin inside a ZIP archive.

You can also send it to VirusTotal or to Malwr, for analysis.

My French 1.27a TFT folder does no have a file named MoviePatcher.exe. I have not upgraded to 1.27b yet.

I understand, some issues with FMVs on modern OSes ('black screen' bug, crash on startup after upgrade...) were supposed to be fixed with this new patch.

On a side note, the original French RoC CD-ROM release had a faulty HumanEd.mpq file. A fixed version of it was included in the French TFT CD-ROM. TFT's installer simply replaces the faulty file with the good version. Not sure it is related, though...

Level 7
I can't seem to get past the download part of the patch either, although in my case BNUpdate.exe simply crashes with an error appearing in an ndll.dll library. I'm considering a reinstall unless someone can help me out.

Tried both the in-game and standalone patch to fix this.

Reinstalled - the issue persists.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

Your MoviePatcher.exe is a valid signed Blizzard file.
Here is the VirusTotal report (please see the 'File detail' Tab).

Testing with HumanEd.mpq on XP:

The patcher fixes a minor inconsistency at the beginning of the file ('vidsdivx' becomes 'vidsblz0').
This inconsistency can not be spotted by MediaInfo Lite.

MoviePatcher.png

It also silently checks something with the file blizzard.ax, but it does not modify it. On XP, after running MoviePatcher, this file is still registered as the 'DivX for Blizzard Decoder Filter'.

DivX for Blizzard.png

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is possible the movie patcher is a leaked update tool that was not currently ready for deployment. If they have access to the original cinematic sequences/setup they might try re-rendering them in HD, in such a case the existing files would need to be replaced by new, bigger and differently encoded ones. Alternatively they might want to convert the existing ones into a more standard/efficient format.

The fact it is called "Patcher" points towards it being one of the many tool applications which a patch is meant to run as part of its installation. Normally such tools are removed upon update completion however it is possible that the tool leaked out of development (was not intended to ship now).

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I can confirm the file MoviePatcher.exe remains in the WC3 folder after a successful update to 1.27b.
On my French install, the version number for 1.27b reads 1.27.1.7085.

Other Hive members could have confirmed this loooong before me... :bored:

Level 3
I have purchased another copy of TFT, and should get it very soon through online shipping. With it, I'll be able to run clean reinstalls as much as I need to get this problem fixed once and for all. Thanks, everyone, for your responding to and doing your best to help me.

EDIT: Fixed! I submitted a ticket to Blizzard's support staff, who got me to buy a new version of TFT as a digital download, rather than a CD. This allowed me to install WC3: TFT 1.27b directly, and bypass the error. Everything works perfectly now! To anyone else who's having this problem, you can buy TFT as a digital download for about $10.00 USD (plus tax) from the Blizzard website.

(To moderators: This thread can thus be removed/locked if need be. But you might want to leave it open as a reference in case anyone else continues to have the same problems with downloading the update that I did.)

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
Level 1
So for me,
I could access the the game itself but as soon as i wanted to go to B.net it wanted to updated from 1.27 to 1.28. makes since but it would also ask me to restart. And so I hit ok but nothing would come of it still. The restart wouldn't work and next time i went to B.net, it just would give me a error and couldn't go any further. So i was forced to uninstall and reload both ROC and TFT with keys i had digitally online.
Thats all cool right as i had Digital DL's available. However i ended up having to reinstall this like 3 times and was taking about 20 mins per install.
After the installs were complete it would have 2 bubbles to open frozen throne or ROC when finished i tried both and both would only take me to ROC even if selected TFT. I wanted TFT.

***The trick was to not open directly after install process. Close the install program and make 3 extra clicks to your (desktop/wherever saved) and then open it manually outside of the install process. both TFT and ROC work to B.NET at this time. ***
Hurry up people I wanna play some games haha.

Hope this helps or makes since.

Status
Not open for further replies.