• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patching erro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi guys! I recently installed Warcraft III on my computer. I joined to Battle.net and started to download the patch, but when it asks me to restart the game and update, after I click on restart it says "an error occured while applying the upgrade".
I tried to apply the patch manually by downloading it from Battle.net, but when I run the file it says error. When I ask for details it writes:

"Blizzard PrePatch v2.70 compiled on Jul 7 2003
This program patches Warcraft 3

Log created at 1:02 pm on 02/12/2014

ERROR: unable to authenticate archive

RESULT: Prepatch failed"

Help me please! I tried to find the solution on the internet but nothing worked...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
On modern Windows operating systems you need to run as an administrator as program files mostly requires administrator permission to modify. This can also happen with a file anti-virus being too strict and denying the patcher access to the files.

If your version of WC3 is modified in any way (usually the case of cracked versions of the game) it will not be able to patch as the existing files fail integrity checks. This can also happen if you opened the main data archives with a MPQ editor in write mode and it decided to modify some part of the archives.

In any case I recommend re-downloading the game from BattleNet 2.0 by attaching your CD key to your BattleNet 2.0 account and then downloading the client. I recall this should already be patched to latest version.

Status
Not open for further replies.