• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Help Required] Cannot host large maps on Battle.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello Hive, over the last half a year i've been working on a quite large project and it has an enormous (by Warcraft 3 standarts) filesize of 60+ mb, but since Blizzard has delivered patch that lifted the old size limit, i've decided to give it a shot and host in Battle.net to play the test version with a friend. I know how to host and setup stuff and it's not a problem and was able to host standart maps and small custom ones, when i host any big one, the player is not able to go through second loading. I'm not sure what is it exactly, first loading should be downloading the map itself and it works fine, but second one just freezes at random number. Once again, it only happens if map has a big filesize.

We've been able to host it on ENT back in February, but now it just refuses to work, too, and LAN has the same problem now as back than. It's especially annoying considering how i have to actually pay my ISP to have Static IP and while we can play basic maps and custom ones below the old limit, large file size maps simply won't load, we've tried both actual maps and dummies with a random files imported to create filesize.

Downloading map goes fine, then, if map has a large filesize, it stops at random percentage (next to joined player's name) like 8 or 35, you get the idea and won't move past that no matter how long we wait.

And so, i wanted to ask if anyone has encountered the same problem and is there any solution? Is it the problem of the host, the connecting player or the map itself? I've spent probably hundreds of hours working on the map and the fact that i can't play it even with a friend is quite annoying to be honest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. This is how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/Jm7dKdO.png It happens to any big map (with different number stuck there), both in Official Battle.Net and LAN

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Apparently the way WC3 does file transfers is not very efficient. Some people have said it uploads maps 1 sector (not sure how large that is) at a time and will only continue on to the next sector once it confirms that sector has arrived. As such on average you can expect upload rates anywhere from 5 to 30 kb/sec depending on latency, so a 60 MB map will take a very long time. Actual LAN does not suffer much from this as latency is usually <1ms so faster speeds can be obtained. Basically a window size of 1 style problem.

Hosting robots get around this by uploading multiple sectors sequentially while in parallel checking the upload results. This achieves a large window size, which is needed for high speed reliable transfers.

This could all be at the TCP layer, with the window size set to 1 for the game client. However the person who mentioned it to me was quite vague.

Level 3
It is related to second "loading" right? The first one when you connect to a host is downloading a map if you don't have it, but the second loading happens anyway even if the connected player has this map in folder (or if he doesnt, first one goes to 100% without problem)

Is there any explanation what that second loading is anyway? It also happens in emulated LAN (Evolve, GameRanger) and it just stops at some number like in screenshot (once again, only with large maps). We've tried waiting but it simply freezes.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It is related to second "loading" right? The first one when you connect to a host is downloading a map if you don't have it, but the second loading happens anyway even if the connected player has this map in folder (or if he doesnt, first one goes to 100% without problem)
That would be verification I guess. When you join, the host probably has to check if you actually have the map, and not that you are just pretending to.

Status
Not open for further replies.