• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
instead we got revisionist mash up of existing Heroes of the Storm and World of Warcraft assets with few edits
You're wrong. If you watched Grubby's stream it's blatantly Warcraft 3 with new models.

Anyone who's worked with Warcraft 3 enough will recognize all the UI quirks are still there.

it is so similar when blizzard released "wc3 - armies of azeroth", but even this mod has better graphics than this new wc3 version.
Armies of Azeroth is a fan-made mod.

Level 29
Here is my opinion about this.

I am thrilled for these news and eager to test it.

However, I am also sad as most likely the old Warcraft III that fans loved for more than 15 years will lose popularity. Warcraft III is my favorite game and it scares me the possibility of it being forgotten in favor of this new version.

The models look a lot more realistic, which is good, but from what I have seen in the trailers, some old models seem more fitting. Just saying.

The voices in the cinematic also seem different from the ones of the regular Warcraft 3. Arthas' voice for example reminds me of his voice in Wow. I truly hope they keep most of the same voice actors for this new version, as I prefer them over their WoW versions.

Level 9
Let's look on the bright side, people!

1) New icons!
2) New skins and geosets to use in old-school models.
3) Influx of new blood which will hopefully revitalize the old-school part of the modding community too... maybe...

That's... something. Right?

Level 14
Update from the panel
- Modding tools used to make the new models will be given to the community.

Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 01.36.17.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 01.37.31.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 01.38.07.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 01.39.03.png Capture d’écran 2018-11-03 à 01.39.51.png

Last edited:

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
The old low resolution textures gave Warcraft a dirty look. This is completly missing. Everything is smooth and clean.
I played arround with the colors and added some noise.

The first shot looks like a screengrab from the stream. The pictures of in-game shots on their main site are more sharper and have more vibrant colors, like your edit.

Also, I don't think this runs HD modellers out of work. If anything, this revitalizes it. I've been doing Warcraft 3 models for SC2 since 2010 and I'm happy to see the bar's been raised for polycounts for a WC3 remaster. I'm looking forward to going back and upressing some assets to fit this new style, and possibly even make edits on some of the uglier ones in the game to make em look better.

Level 12
However, I am also sad as most likely the old Warcraft III that fans loved for more than 15 years will lose popularity. Warcraft III is my favorite game and it scares me the possibility of it being forgotten in favor of this new version.

Considering what they did with SC:R, I don't think it'll fragment the community, because I think it'll literally be the same game with HD toggles. Might be wrong, if someone has a source that disproves my assumption feel free to share it.

The voices in the cinematic also seem different from the ones of the regular Warcraft 3. Arthas' voice for example reminds me of his voice in Wow. I truly hope they keep most of the same voice actors for this new version, as I prefer them over their WoW versions.
I think that was the original voice line? Not sure. I do recall Arthas being pretty angsty early on.

Level 29
we need to recreate everything from this site for warcraft 3 reforged

That is another thing.

Will those that made custom maps, campains, models, icons, skins and other stuff have to recreate everything with this new version, or is there the possibility of putting some files into Warcraft reforged with no problem?

Level 14
You're wrong. If you watched Grubby's stream it's blatantly Warcraft 3 with new models.

Anyone who's worked with Warcraft 3 enough will recognize all the UI quirks are still there.

Armies of Azeroth is a fan-made mod.
I watched and noticed this by now but its even worse. These are trying to look like their cgi cinematics ones with being realistic textures where wc3 was cartoony textures and surfaces and being cartoony where wc3 was realistic.... armour shape and size, weapon sizes and so on. Which is very bad change....and it is compeletely unessesary. After looking at it for a while it just looks like parody of original Wc3 with these incredibly silly proportions and realistic texturing surfaces and silly and very clunky animations.
It seems like they try to mate cinematic realistic style with ingame but they do it wrong...

About ui.....what about command grid and people using it ijnvarious ways....new ui is clrearly not prepared with anything of that type in mind and it will cause severe issues when we have maps removing buttons or using more than this new ui offers. They shouod leave command grid and mini map alone.....or entire ui so just with options to make them be in 4:3 positions or edges of the screen.

Level 14
we need to recreate everything from this site for warcraft 3 reforged
Impossible.....reforged models are incredibly high poly and mimic cinematic models....and its really bad decision.....it should stay more pastel cartoony and realistic texturing style. Model detail can be realistic but texturing and 2d syltyle should never be changed to realistic

Level 10
I find it fascinating how people are so... Pessimistic about something I can only see as a good thing. Like, 'Neat! A reason to play through Warcraft 3 again! Time to see what's different or not.' This could work to revitalise the community, garner more interest, maybe have more of the older people (quite evidently from this thread alone) return.

If you don't like the new artsyle, great, play with that option that apparently exists, if you still don't like the .... i don't know, engine changes? The original still exists. And if that Brood War situation happens, rendering the original Warcraft III free, that's even better.

...i don't know, maybe i'm unrealistically optimistic about this, I am genuinely curious to see how this pans out, and I will love playing through it because I do love Warcraft III and having a new flair will be interesting to play through it for. ...Although really, I've already had to sit through this exact same pessimism since yesterday for another game community. ugh. gamers are so annoying sometimes.

Level 9
Seems cool, I'm hyped to see what other improvements they can make from what I've seen of the trailer.
Lighting and shadows look... weird, in the gameplay trailer. Hopefully it looks better in the release product.

Level 14
So wait is this a remake of warcraft or just a brand new one made from scratch? And, is there a date when it will come out? im sure these questions have been asked but i dont feel like scrolling through them all lol.
Remake-o-"fix"(to fit it with WoW and hots). Its not a remaster since they dont even try to be faithful to WC3 look. It will be crossplayable tho.

Level 12
I couldn't be happier.

This is my childhood game.
Same. This is literally what I said to people on Discord when trying to explain my joy:
I have spent 3500 hours playing TF2. That's my most amount of time logged in a game ever.
But only because Warcraft 3 time is not logged. If it was, it would easily exceed 10k hours.
I cannot explain how much this game shaped my childhood and shaped my future aspirations. Warcraft 3's community led me to working in programming and game design. It is me.

Level 14
Classic Warcraft III is much better.
Why? We have thousands and thousands of "Custom Models" and this new reboot/remaster will kinda take a lot of years to have that many custom models.
Exacly....also its not so easy since they are doing something dumb here.....forcing very realistic texturing and materials....and everything for wc3 is in its real artstyle which is cartoony texture wise, so none of the models or skins will fit. I was stressing it several times why remaster of warcraft iii must be done very carefully with full respect of original artstyle and textures, but they didnt listen....or it was already far in development behind the scenes for so long that they just ignored all of that.

Level 15
Hopefully they make some 3d supporting tools.... like to convert our old models to the new one. Our low poly still gonna look decent imo

Level 5
The thing that confuses me is they put all this effort into the original war3 with all these updates then they randomly come out with this instead? I mean im happy about it but just confused as too how there gonna go with all this, we shall see.
Surely to make happy both sides, those people who will love the wc3 remaster and the people who still love original wc3 old essence and hate the new version

Reactions: pyf
Level 7
We are always waiting for it for years!

Now we get it. Warcraft III, the most popular, famous and classic game all over the world, has reached another key point. I am stunned.

Now what I want to do is pre-purchase. I just want to purchase it immediately.

Level 15
It runs on same engine they will run fine...problem lies in what they did to original models and their artstyle.....nothing will fit....
artstyle wont be a problem imo. They said that they will keep the old stuff. Having them (old stuff) + upgraded graphic engine gonna work. Just add some lighting setting on world editor and it can be tweaked for low poly model. Even only having AO still gives great boostz

and i dont think the style is changed that much... the animation still looks stylized, terrain still same, and currently there is no ground texture on buildings but i’m pretty it will be added. Maybe lack of saturation and contrast but it can be easily changed if world editor has setting to change those.

Artstyle gonna be a problem if you use 2 different style on one game. So just dont do that and just use the original stuff. Plus, our community mostly filled with not that HQ models, so its a good idea to stick with original assets. Unless people start importing models from HoTS, WoW, and others...

Last edited:
Level 16
Great news! I'm pretty excited about this! I hope they add:

- Increase allowable cliff types and tiles types (only 2 cliffs allowed at the moment)
- Allow merging of tiles like in Starcraft 2 for smoother transitions between surface areas.
- Allow cliffs to stack higher without expanding outwards.
- Allow concurrent users playing over LAN (fair enough if Battle.Net is restricted to 1 person as currently is). This is important so I can play with my mates.
- Improved lighting engine. I remember running into lots of limitations when making dark maps. Issues with how Warcraft 3 handles lighting causing lighting glitches. Better lighting engine would improve how the game looks anyway.
- Few more natives in World Editor to expand on what we can do as mapmakers.

Level 4
Oh no...

As I see some people are worried about all old maps, skins, and models which will not work in Warcraft 3 Reforged. But personally for me exist more important and frighting question...

Are all hive content makers of Hive, and other forums will forget old Wc3, and Warcraft 3 Reforged will be more preferable for them just because of graphics?

Last edited:
Level 12
As I see some people are worried about all old maps, skins, and models which will not work in Warcraft 3 Reforged.

They will work just fine, a la Brood War Remastered. This has been confirmed at today's panel. The (informed) concerns are about new content mixing properly with old content.

Level 12
I'm actually afraid that most of the resources we have here on the Hive would look out of place alongside the new HD stuff. Worst case, maybe even rendered useless if they decide to "optimize" the game by using a file other than mdx to project models. Do we have to mass convert everything then? Or do it manually ourselves?

With all the effort they put in already, even going as far to say that they "rebuilt Azeroth from the ground up," then wouldn't it have been wiser to just make WarCraft fucking 4?

Level 14
Well, they said they will make the old Warcraft 3 to be compatible with Reforged and port our maps and stuff. Meaning, you can put low poly models still with only a new and powerized world editor.

I do hope the world editor will have advanced features concerning AI, spellmaking (making them in-game), smoother cinematic commands, yeah pathing don't forget the movement path and points, line of sight can be customized, and stuff like that. If that happens, it's extremely powerful. And yeah, Blizzard take all my gold! :D

Level 40
i can see totally how someone who have never played wc3 could be excited and positive about this, but certainly not the regulars here, jesus christ
this is gonna have so much wow retcons, unnecessary changes and overwatch easter eggs in it
guess they finally made Warcraft: Heroes Of Azeroth after all

Triceron

Hosted Project: W3CSW
Level 11
TBH its a case of waiting and seeing how they apporach mod support tools and how much priority there is in people updating their own or others maps. If anything, this database should expand to a subcategory specific to reforged while older assets that need addressing can be tackled on a per map basis. Yes, there are a lot of assets here, but probably 80% or more is retexture work or kitbashes of existing stuff. That can easily be replicated and SC2 modding has well surpassed the capability to do that.

As for skill in modifying stuff that fits in style with Reforged, that is up to how much people decide to learn about PBR shaders and 3d sculpting to get things done. Its not going to be a simple tweak in photoshop to make an armored dude look like hes wearing a shirt and tie. But hey, the old methods work too and kit bashing will always be possible, or you can import any number of models available from the SC2 community, which has access to D3, WoW and Heroes assets. At least they fit better with Reforged than alongside WC3 graphics.

I suppose it would come with:
  • New and better model editor
  • Support for maps created for original warcraft
  • New extension of archive
  • more options for the world editor including:
more unit triggers, control over UI, modern code editor for JASS, ability to add and remove basic commands like attack/move/etc, ability to make the unit able to turn even if cannot move, (why not?)mounts, garbage collection? , better support for custom loading screen, add ability like channel that has ton of options, not just these already present including damage. There are surely mroe things to improve.

Last edited:
Level 11
Yes, we need to pay because swapping a shader is so much value!

Just WT is the world coming to. At least give some of those improvements to people who do not pay. I can understand the reworked art being part of it, but the UI and the dynamic shadows should be free as those are literally generic pieces of code.

Well at least all those XP users with Pentium 2s will be happy as they can finally play Warcraft III again.

They why bother mentioning them. Especially ones so obviously wrong. They are saying the game runs on XP and a Pentium 2 for crying out loud. Not even current Warcraft III does.
The fact a laptop is running it so badly (sub 60 FPS) means that even moderate desk top PCs might struggle a bit, especially at 4k. And yes, it is optimized as I doubt they would be running a debug build for security reasons (anyone who touches their PCs could get source code details).
If what the other commenter said - old models and sound sets will be available, and we'll be able to switch between old and new - I do not see what is the problem. Because other than that, the upgraded WE is a good thing. (Fingers crossed for TESH)

My main concern was, that the old wc3 would no longer be updated, but if we are allowed to switch between old & new + we get more WE functionality, I am more than willing to pay for it.

Not to mention, that this will likely open many possibilities for even bigger maps, more doodads, etc.

Level 5
I like the hotkey changes, the promises about the upgraded editor, the option to switch to the original graphics, the implementation into BattleNet 2.0.

I'm not sure about the new portrait without a backdrop, and the new voices.

I strongly dislike the new artstyle and feel that it doesn't capture the spirit of the original artstyle. Everything looks way too clean and smooth, the proportions look too much like WoW and not WC3.
  • The ghouls and skeletons don't look scary and threatening,
  • the footmen don't have that pleasant tackiness,
  • the grunts don't look imposing,
  • the trees look all the same and blurry,
  • the ground textures look mushy (see: dark green grass tile) and bereft of detail and they nevertheless don't transition well,
  • the buildings look like cheap 3D plastic prints and don't even have foundation textures. These textures were always very important to me, though I suspect and hope that they'll be implemented.
It's also hard to make out player colours, with all that detail.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
and we'll be able to switch between old and new
Only if you pay for new, otherwise you are stuck with old.
My main concern was, that the old wc3 would no longer be updated, but if we are allowed to switch between old & new + we get more WE functionality, I am more than willing to pay for it.
Again, the new graphics are what you are paying for. Chances are the old will go free at the same time. It is the same client as Warcraft III after all, just with a new pay wall added.
Not to mention, that this will likely open many possibilities for even bigger maps, more doodads, etc.
Unlikely. Considering performance will be considerably lower than current Warcraft III when running with HD assets, you will be lucky the current large maps still run acceptably.

Status
Not open for further replies.