• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged Leaked Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 51
Don't underestimate the talent of Hive's artists. The only reason we've seen "low poly" models all this time, was because of Classic Warcraft. And even so, we still have stunning works of art in our resource database that could easily fit that of Reforged.

I for one can't wait to see the new models people will make for Reforged :D

It's just a whole other universe. Talent or not, the level of modelling skills required to fit Reforged models is universes away from the skills needed to create amazingly looking models for WCIII. The same reason why there are so few SCII custom models. Same goes with Textures.

It just won't work, as I for one know that I do not have the time (or will, as I've explained earlier I'm not found of the art choice in general) to invest such a huge amount of time and money into this. It's like picking any triple A game out there and then take someone who's created models for half life and telling him to create something that fits into there. Won't happen, will most certainly damage the community.

Man, I wish I just wasn't so pessimistic about this but I just know that this will have so many bad effects.

Edit: There's literally not one piece of art that could fit in Reforged in our database that would fit into it without it looking extremly weird. Maybe some Effects and icons of course but that's it.

Level 6
@Makoodzaka

Don't worry, you will be able to choose between the Classic and Reforged campaigns. I don't remember where I saw this but it was a video about the leaked main menu.

@PROXY I get what you are saying but the classic models are not going anywhere. I think people will have plenty of reasons to play with the classic models. For one, the model library is much larger, even with all the new Reforged models. It will take some time before the old ones are remade, if at all.

@YourArthas

I saw your work. Great stuff! I like both approaches because yours really feels like strictly a Remaster while what Blizzard offers feels more like a faithful semi-remake or Warcraft 4. I will probably play both.

Last edited:

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
The models are amazing.... i cant wait to play and watch youtube videos of this ... :D

EDIT: I am concerned that models of low quality or not high quality would fit anymore with these HD models they have in reforged.. Im curious as to how there gonna play with our models/maps and add them to reforged because im sure people would love to play the new game with there map instead of just going back to classic, whats the fun in that since theres a brand new game. Its gonna be interesting.

Last edited:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Man, I wish I just wasn't so pessimistic about this but I just know that this will have so many bad effects.
I'm optimistic. I hope that Reforged will be an opportunity for model makers and texture artists to learn from. Maybe model edits as a start.

Also, remember that Reforged will "enchance" any model imported into Reforged i.e. lightning, shaders etc. so for instance these models, may look just fine:

Mo'arg Overlord
Beholder
Judgment Paladin
Ragnaros
Magni Bronzebeard
Demonish Bulwark / Bastion / Citadel
Sargeras, the great one

Not to mention many effects etc.

Plus, even though the Reforged models have amazing details, those details may be lost from the in-game camera view. That can work to the benefit of "lesser" quality models as they look fine from the in-game camera view.

Level 1
hey guys i'd like to make custom models for reforged, i use zbrush, blender, Maya and substance for my 3d models, if you know something about importing fbx files on world editor let me know, i want to start working on this soon because i have a little project in mind, also i'd like to help other developers with my custom models

Level 13
Ok is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the Wind Rider is a reskined Gryphon Rider(they have the same animations)?

Level 1
OK, I really don't want to be negative or troll or anything, but it's just as I thought.
Muradin/Kael'thas/Medivh/Sylvanas/Chen/Gul'dan/Rexxar/Samuro/Thrall look exactly like they were copied out form the Heroes of the Storm and pasted into Reforged, they look and probably animate exactly the same. Melee heroes are just different skins of them (e.g Mountain King-skin of HotS Muradin, Blademaster skin of HotS Samuro etc...)
Arthas/Jaina/Uther have been reworked a bit, cause they were at the promotional video at Blizzcon 2018. They still use the same animation as in HotS though.

Don't worry bro, i don't think Blizzard has done that, the smallest change in the model may require new rigging, new UV mapping and more, personally I think the art direction of reforged is going very well

Level 51
I'm optimistic. I hope that Reforged will be an opportunity for model makers and texture artists to learn from. Maybe model edits as a start.

Also, remember that Reforged will "enchance" any model imported into Reforged i.e. lightning, shaders etc. so for instance these models, may look just fine:

Mo'arg Overlord
Beholder
Judgment Paladin
Ragnaros
Magni Bronzebeard
Sargeras, the great one

Plus, even though the Reforged models have amazing details, those details may be lost from the in-game camera view. That can work to the benefit of "lesser" quality models as they look fine from the in-game camera view.

No they won't. The newer models consist most likely of more complicated shaders (I'm not familar with the terms, they're called Shaders or Maps or whatever when creating a model) resulting in metal from "old" models looking bad and misplaced when in comparison, just for example. and the poly count the models you linked have is 1/50 of those of Reforged models. I'm not trying to be an asshole who hates Reforged, it's just how it is.

Level 1

Mo'arg Overlord
Beholder
Judgment Paladin
Ragnaros
Magni Bronzebeard
Sargeras, the great one

Yeah i think you don't need to be a senior artist to make decent models for this release

No they won't. The newer models consist most likely of more complicated shaders (I'm not familar with the terms, they're called Shaders or Maps or whatever when creating a model) resulting in metal from "old" models looking bad and misplaced when in comparison, just for example. and the poly count the models you linked have is 1/50 of those of Reforged models. I'm not trying to be an asshole who hates Reforged, it's just how it is.

Yes, the new models may require new texture maps like Specular map and normal map, also if the artist at blizzard are using substance painter, those models may have metallic map and height map
personally i think you don't need to be a pro to make pretty decent custom models for reforged

Last edited by a moderator:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Well, Blizzard mentioned at the Blizzcon panel that old models imported into Reforged would automatically get a beauty treatment.

Level 6
I've been thinking about why the Footman shoulders seem too big to some. The original in-game Footman looks similar but also different to the one from the cinematic. Namely, the shoulders are a lot smaller ingame but since the original is so low poly, people have projected the idea of how a footman "actually" looks like by projecting onto it the visuals from its cinematic counterpart. At least that's what I think. I've always dreamed of having THAT guy as an ingame model both in WC3 and WOW.

So what they did in Reforged was make him look closer to the cinematic version, which is fine by me. I've always been iffed by the fact that they didn't just take the Footman from the campaign select screen and put him in WOW even though the shoulders are different.

Level 34
people have projected the idea of how a footman "actually" looks like by projecting onto it the visuals from its cinematic counterpart

This is the original RoC concept for the footman, wich i always assume it was how the footman was supposed to look:

d7g741k-ca2e7ac0-d9d8-489a-961b-b332b49ef89c.jpg

Level 6
This is the original RoC concept for the footman, wich i always assume it was how the footman was supposed to look:

View attachment 335335

Yes, exactly. The new Footman looks nearly identical to that but instead of making the shoulders as big as the concept art they made them like in the cinematic. The original ingame Footman shoulders are tiny in comparison.

875926.jpg

Level 34
The shoulderpads look gigantic on the reforged one because the body proportions aren't the same as the one from the concept art, the shoulders are wider and bigger than the reforged one, that's the big difference, reforged footman body is really sbelt, like a model instead of a veteran soldier :s

Level 50
Hard work is what is needed to make models even with reforged quality. Period. Those who don't want to tackle that will surely find excuses not to transit to modeling reforged and will keep up with low poly. It is that simple. I'm more concerned about what will the website do in order to encourage modelers to contribute to reforged and how will it protect original work from rips.

Level 6
The concept has them smaller.
The ingame Footman is more like the one from Warcraft II regarding the armour.

The concept does have them smaller but the Reforged version is based on the cinematic version, which is also based on the original concept art but has gigantic shoulders. I do have to admit that the concept art version is more tasteful but the impression the cinematic had on me all those years ago was pretty huge so I expect the Footman to look like that.

Level 8
Yes, exactly. The new Footman looks nearly identical to that but instead of making the shoulders as big as the concept art they made them like in the cinematic. The original ingame Footman shoulders are tiny in comparison.
if you look closer onto cinematic you will see that not whole shpulderpads are that big. The thing that's big is "that head protecting plates near the head". Taking it all combined makes pad looks more proportional compared to the rest of the footman. Not to mention that the pads are set on much lower much more reasonable level compared to the actual shoulders location. And speaking of concept, concept is not the final look of something, so I'm glad they changed it to more humble design.

Level 3
Maybe I'm alone, but I prefer old cute panda model over the new. Some of them are very cool and amazing while others not too much. After sticking with classic war3 so much time, some of the new models seems like are over-detailed. Dunno, just prefer simple things. Spikes to everything ftw

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
but the impression the cinematic had on me all those years ago was pretty huge so I expect the Footman to look like that.
Which is not really like that, lots of things missing or not quite so and they decided to keep the worst, bigger shoulder armour.
Spikes to everything ftw
More like spikes on everything, especially mounts...

Level 6
@SharSash Still bigger than in the concept art

@deepstrasz

The only things I see missing are the chains on the shoulderpads and that kilt but I can live without those. Aside from that it is identical. The helmet is slightly different but whatever.

Level 64
personally i think you don't need to be a pro to make pretty decent custom models for reforged

I have a bit of an issue with this misconception.

Reforged models aren't things that someone can pop out as a hobby.
They have an incredibly high polycount, absolutely massive skins, bump mapping and reflective surfaces.

That puts the bare minimum requirements for a low quality Reforged community-made model head and shoulders above anything most of us here could make.

Only incredibly talented modelers like @Murlocologist would be able to survive in the Reforged Modeling environment, and even then they'd all have to not only put the polycount through the roof, but have to learn how to create the bump-maps and reflective skin maps.

Level 51

They have an incredibly high polycount, absolutely massive skins, bump mapping and reflective surfaces.

That puts the bare minimum requirements for a low quality Reforged community-made model head and shoulders above anything most of us here could make.

Only incredibly talented modelers like @Murlocologist would be able to survive in the Reforged Modeling environment, and even then they'd all have to not only put the polycount through the roof, but have to learn how to create the bump-maps and reflective skin maps.

Thank you. I don't know why so many people think modelling is a freaking piece of cake, it's a job in real life with real schools and universities teaching it and most modellers who went on to create the best stuff on hive indeed went to such schools and or universities. Yes, people who do it in their free time can also create incredible stuff but it's a job for a pretty good reason.

There's a reason why lowpoly modelling is a thing and why many indie games are not high poly games. Not even trained modellers can often afford it to dabble in HQ-waters.

Level 51
well.. one really can't say how it'll go if they don't try making a reforged model. for me tho.. it kinda goes back to the good old geomerging days xD only with a bit more knowledge, i guess

Geomerging is another topic which won't work as good as it did back in the days. Why? Because the unique art style and low poly structure of the classic WCIII models allowed different pieces easily fitting together. If there were some lines, textures or polygons which didn't line up perfectly or did not fit together as much, it was no problem. Why? Because the original models had their flaws too and the whole artstyle totally forgave inperfection.

With the new high poly models, sticking different stuff together will look extremly weird, as there is a much higher grade of realism going on and will make the geomerged stuff stick out.

But... I assume we're getting offtopic here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.

Level 20
Geomerging is another topic which won't work as good as it did back in the days. Why? Because the unique art style and low poly structure of the classic WCIII models allowed different pieces easily fitting together. If there were some lines, textures or polygons which didn't line up perfectly or did not fit together as much, it was no problem. Why? Because the original models had their flaws too and the whole artstyle totally forgave inperfection.

With the new high poly models, sticking different stuff together will look extremly weird, as there is a much higher grade of realism going on and will make the geomerged stuff stick out.
Geomerging is far from a dead art; people still do it all the time even with HD models (for various reasons). It still works the same way as before, just you need to be just as good as disguising it as it is now (finding the right seams, so to speak). You can go to some random Deviantart page with some model rips doing basic head swaps and see what I'm talking about.

Sure, it's a little more complicated to deal with (probably the biggest issue is body proportions and skin tone matter a lot more), but it's very doable.

Level 6

The technical parts are not that hard, depending on what you make. Being a good artist is what makes or breaks a model, at least if you want your stuff to be truly pro. I mean, you can give your textures a color, slap some generators and then you have a passable texture but you can do so much more. It's all about subtlety. When it comes to stuff like topology, UVs, normal map baking, there are a few things that are set in stone that once you understand they become routines. There are some exceptions such as for cars and very shiny and smooth objects, but that's because you need to have perfect topology due to the reflections.

So if you want to make new character models with cool textures then knowing anatomy is a must and for textures having decent painting skills helps a lot. You don't HAVE to be a great artist for simpler objects but it helps. By that I mean knowing where to sculpt details, how much to sculpt, how much color variation to put in models etc. So you could start with much simpler stuff like making doodads, simple hero model additions such as a new sword, libram or whatever and when you get comfortable with making simple but well made stuff you can advance to learning some anatomy too.

College is not really necessary these days for being an artist. There are so many good online courses that teach you 3D that you can become more efficient learning on your own. I started learning on my own, from scratch, having no art skills and I recently got a job offer. Admittedly, I make realistic hard surface stuff (guns, cars and soon environments) but I plan to learn anatomy and stylized asset making in the near future too. I just like to focus on one thing and not stretch myself out.

If it's ok with the moderators, I could post some of the stuff I made.

Last edited:
Level 3
Hi all,

Here are some Centaur units, buildings and doodads that I was able to extract with CASCView and then with WET v0.4.2.2 [Tools>Convert MDX (Warcraft) to OBJ).

Credit for ALL the images except the Doodad Totems goes to Knuithe: Warcraft III Reforged Models

Here you can see much more models. That person is great! A hero!

I just noticed the Centaur Totems which weren't there before in WC3. Kewl!

Warcraft III: Reforged BETA Leaked Centaur Units and Buildings

But... I assume we're getting offtopic here so I'm just gonna leave it at that.
heh, this is why mentioned more knowledge. blending it all will be a key :b

Level 3
@CentaurWarlord

Don't like that one with fancy armor. Centaurs are supposed to be basically stoneage people.

Nah, you're thinking of Wendigo, that's like Stone Age cave-dwelling people.

Centaurs are actually quite sophisticated, nomadic civilization. Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's inferior. While certainly portrayed with that bias, my custom race Centaur Horde mod and campaign paints a different picture of the Centaur.

Ever read the Warcraft novel The Bloodsworn about the unification of the Centaur? Or played the post-Cataclysm Desolace Centaur quests with Kolkar Khan Leh'Prah and the unification of the Centaur dual nature of Elemental shamanism (Theradras) and Nature druidism (Zaetar)?

I for one think that the Centaur are a very interesting, kewl, and noble race, that can have a redemptive narrative arc as good or even better than the Orcs. Of course, I'm biased myself hahaha.

Here's a link to my WIP imgur pictures. I've recently restarted the Centaur Horde mod/campaign, due to my brothers and I playing again in WOW Classic and all: Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Custom Race Centaur Horde Version 2.0 2019

PS: In other media, such as Chronicles of Narnia, the Centaur are portray as a noble guardian race, for example.

Last edited:
Level 6
@CentaurWarlord

I get the noble savage angle but I still think they they should be primitive. Most of the models are great but that really fancy one sticks out. They shouldn't be more sophisticated than the Tauren.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Don't like that one with fancy armor. Centaurs are supposed to be basically stoneage people.
Yeah, they're more like Huns but shoulder armour is also present in the original game.
Nah, you're thinking of Wendigo, that's like Stone Age cave-dwelling people.
Those are like wild beasts, not people. Sasquatches live in a society.
Centaurs are actually quite sophisticated, nomadic civilization. Just because it's different, doesn't mean it's inferior. While certainly portrayed with that bias, my custom race Centaur Horde mod and campaign paints a different picture of the Centaur.
You custom is =/= original. Even taurens don't have armour.
Ever read the Warcraft novel The Bloodsworn about the unification of the Centaur? Or played the post-Cataclysm Desolace Centaur quests with Kolkar Khan Leh'Prah and the unification of the Centaur dual nature of Elemental shamanism (Theradras) and Nature druidism (Zaetar)?
Who cares about books. We play games the games. What's bonus, is just that.
PS: In other media, such as Chronicles of Narnia, the Centaur are portray as a noble guardian race, for example.
Who cares man? We're talking about Warcraft III. This is what the manual has to say about centaurs:
"Legend holds that the primitive, barbaric centaurs are actually the bastard off-spring of the night elf demigod, Cenarius. Whether or not this is true, it is certain that they are savagery and brutality incarnate. These horse-men ceaselessly terrorize the Barrens of Kalimdor and maraud the villages and cities of the lands indigenous peoples. The tauren claim that the centaur have always existed to scourge the land."

Level 6
@deepstrasz

I meant this one. The others are great. Perhaps it's not metal but dyed leather with gold trimmings instead, to make him look more intimidating and show his status.
LWtaXxP.png

Level 13
@CentaurWarlord

Yeah, they're more like Huns but shoulder armour is also present in the original game.
Judging by their looks in both Classic and Reforged and WoW, the Centaur are clearly inspired by the real world Mongols. The Mongols, despite being a ravaging horde, were actually a quite sophisticated culture with a high civilization standards for that time, a lot higher actually than some of the people they conquered.
Even taurens don't have armour.
The tauren don't have armor in WC3, cause their culture was clearly inspired by the real world Native American tribes from the present day U.S and Canada(the ones in Western films), who don't have armor. Tauren do have armor in WoW though, for gameplay/balance reasons, and NPC variety.

Last edited:
Level 3
@deepstrasz

I meant this one. The others are great. Perhaps it's not metal but dyed leather with gold trimmings instead, to make him look more intimidating and show his status.
LWtaXxP.png

I guess, we'll agree to disagree. I for one have loved most of the WC3R new designs. Even as far back as Antiquity (not to mention the elaborate Cuman/Kipchak full face helmets, etc), Scythians/Saka/Sarmatians had Cataphracts and Cataphract Cavalry Archers, clad in heavy chainmail and lamellar armor, kinda like the Centaur Khan's middle part. Not just leather, but metal and adorned with gold and other ornamentation. Why this matters? WOW Centaur are obviously drawing real-life roots from nomadic, Mongol, Turkic backgrounds due to Khan as name of leader, due to women in veils (common Middle/Central Asian harem stereotype, etc, except Centaurs have now more female fighter representation, similar to famed Amazons and Massagetae Saka Queen Tomyris who famously defeated King Cyrus of Persia invading north past Transoxiana, the Amu Dary and Syr Darya rivers).

I fully agree with you here. The actual peoples/armors/leathers/outfits that inspired WoW Centaur like the Huns, Mongols, Turks, etc. had elaborate, layered armors, definitely shoulder armors.

Those are like wild beasts, not people. Sasquatches live in a society.
The WC3R Wendigo paint themselves and their caves. It's kinda like the Raptors in WoW stealing silver, adorning their nests with feathers, starting to evolve and communicate and be intelligent/sentient.

You custom is =/= original. Even taurens don't have armour.
Spirit Walker, especially in WC3R has back armor. In Wow, Sunwalker Paladin tauren and priest tauren have increasingly armor and outfits/clothings. The world of Azeroth isn't static, it's dynamic. Yes, original point all those years back, that's the CLASSIC look, but without risks, no new novelty and freshness won't be breathed into such an old game. I for one support the bold moves and deviations, within reason.

Yet, even I concur, that probably WoW models porting into WC3:TFT is still cartoony/jagged enough... yet even when I today porting at least the building tents... the WC3R much higher-rez and reality tents/buidings are clashing with both WoW and especially old WC3.

In many ways, the WC3R models are even better than WOW's. For example, WC3R got a new Gnoll model that is much more higher-rez and higher-realistic than what WoW has currently.

I'll keep two versions of my mod. One with only WoW and more low-poly/more cartoony graphics/models/textures/brighter and the other WC3R more high-rez, higher-realistic, modern graphics.

Who cares about books. We play games the games. What's bonus, is just that.

I take the broader lore as canon or head canon for me to play around with in my campaign. My campaign DOES and WILL deviate from the events of WoW, but that's my story, cherry-picking and getting inspired from multiple sources. I'd like to weave parts of Dorthar's story, Aratas' story, the Stonetalon Khan's story, and Leh'prah's story into something new, my vision for what Centaur may achieve in the world of Azeroth.

Who cares man? We're talking about Warcraft III. This is what the manual has to say about centaurs:
"Legend holds that the primitive, barbaric centaurs are actually the bastard off-spring of the night elf demigod, Cenarius. Whether or not this is true, it is certain that they are savagery and brutality incarnate. These horse-men ceaselessly terrorize the Barrens of Kalimdor and maraud the villages and cities of the lands indigenous peoples. The tauren claim that the centaur have always existed to scourge the land."

I'd say that the Tauren "claim" is just that - another biased source. While I applaud you for that original reference, I am in favor of a more Centaur-friendly lore that happened in Desolace post-Cataclysm.

Thank you guys for fun and engaging conversation. Though I don't want to derail the thread from WC3R models. My old thread is frozen. Perhaps soon I'll start a new thread on the Version 2.0 of my mod and we can discuss the Centaur in Warcraft lore and so on. I LOVE the Centaur, they have so much potential!

Level 6
Judging by their looks in both Classic and Reforged and WoW, the Centaur are clearly inspired by the real world Mongols. The Mongols, despite being a ravaging horde, were actually a quite sophisticated culture with a high civilization standards for that time, a lot higher actually than some of the people they conquered.

The tauren don't have armor in WC3, cause their culture was clearly inspired by the real world Native American tribes from the present day U.S and Canada(the ones in Western films), who don't have armor. Tauren do have armor in WoW though, for gameplay/balance reasons, and NPC variety.

I think the orcs are a better representation of the Mongols. This might sound strange but the Centaurs seem to be a representation of the negative stereotypes of people from that area, meaning savage (in a bad sense) and less sophisticated, while the orcs are savage but quite sophisticated. IIRC the centaurs are described as inbreds in the lore, even WC3 lore. So Orcs are the positive representation while the Centaurs are the negative ones.

Level 13
I think the orcs are a better representation of the Mongols. This might sound strange but the Centaurs seem to be a representation of the negative stereotypes of people from that area, meaning savage (in a bad sense) and less sophisticated, while the orcs are savage but quite sophisticated. IIRC the centaurs are described as inbreds in the lore, even WC3 lore. So Orcs are the positive representation while the Centaurs are the negative ones.
The orcs were inspired by the orcs from central/northern European mythology. Look at the Centaur's armor, weapons, clothes. They look exactly like the Mongols from any Genghis Khan documentary. They even have mongoloid eyes.

As for lore the first Centaur were descendants(grandchildren) of Cenarius. One of Cenarius's eldest sons Zaetar mated with the earth elemental. Like Cenarius and the other Keepers of the Grove/Dryads they could easily get enraged, but unlike the other KotGs/Dryads they couldn't control their rage, cause of their mother's side. So once Cenarius got pissed and casted them out, and severed their connection to the Emerald Dream making the mortal. So they roam and pillage in tribes the plains of Kalimdor unable to quell their rage. But they are still children of Cenarius, which would make them quite sophisticated. And more intelligent than humanoids.

Level 6
The orcs were inspired by the orcs from central/northern European mythology. Look at the Centaur's armor, weapons, clothes. They look exactly like the Mongols from any Genghis Khan documentary. They even have mongoloid eyes.

As for lore the first Centaur were descendants(grandchildren) of Cenarius. One of Cenarius's eldest sons Zaetar mated with the earth elemental. Like Cenarius and the other Keepers of the Grove/Dryads they could easily get enraged, but unlike the other KotGs/Dryads they couldn't control their rage, cause of their mother's side. So once Cenarius got pissed and casted them out, and severed their connection to the Emerald Dream making the mortal. So they roam and pillage in tribes the plains of Kalimdor unable to quell their rage. But they are still children of Cenarius, which would make them quite sophisticated. And more intelligent than humanoids.

The Orcs were inspired by Mongols too. They basically follow Tengrism. They are definitely more Asian than Northern European.

Level 3
I was able to port the static, no animation buildings from WC3R into WC3TFT. Here take a look!

Warcraft III: Frozen Throne Custom Race Centaur Horde Version 2.0 2019

ZHIIRui.png

TeU8b2E.png

VlzTLxu.png

2109-10-17 WIP workflow

1. CASCview to reach WC3R Beta and extract files such as MDX, DDS: https://t . co/CuxNIAJVwY

2. WET v0 . 4.2 . 2 to COnvert MDX to OBJ: https://marlam . in/obj/#download

3. MilkShape to Import that OBJ as Wavefront OBJ. Save as MS3D

4. MAGOS:https://www . hiveworkshop . com/threads/war3-model-editor . 62876/ In MAGOS, import the MS3D and save as MDX. Important NOTE: Keep this new MDX file opened! If yuo close it now, you wouldn't be able to open it again because the model is corrupted/unuseable until some fixes are made from step #6.

5. Texture procedures:
5A. DDS save as PNG or TGA 5B. With BLPLab: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/blp-laboratory.137601/
Convert the PNGs to BLP1

6. Texture Manager, add the new BLP texture. Just to be sure, check Width/Height under Edit

7. Go to Material Manager, find the material that is the first diffuse DDS, and assign it to the BLP instead

8. Under Material Manager, check the other materials. Any materials that are not to the "diffuse" DDS, need to be deleted.

9. Go back to Texture Manager, delete all other textures except the BLPs imported.

10. Go to Geoset Manager: Delete any Geoset Manager that has Material of NONE... basically these are the normals, etc materials that got deleted. WC3TFT can't process them anyways

11. Finally, go to Node Manager, create new Bone, name it bone0 and that seems to do the trick. IMHO, this is the step that "invalidates" the model. Any MDS WITHOUT any bones gets corrupted

12. Go to Sequence Manager: Add "stand" between 9000 to 9100, "birth" between 0 and 8000, and "Death" sequence animations.

13. Save Extents to update and make sure the model is clickable in-game

14. Go to Global Sequence Manager, Add 1) at 9000 and a second one 2) at 18000

15. Rotate and position the model for a portrait. Go to Camera Manager: Right click from THis View, and save as "Camera01"

16. Save Extents again.

17. Save the MDX again.

18. Now you can close the MDX file

19. Test opening the MDX file again with MAGOS. If you can't, then something wrong went with either the Textures, Materials, Geosets, but most porbably the Nodes.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I know. That's what I was pointing out, the originals have shoulder armour and that's it. But heavy armour on Huns looks weird. It's like mixing salt with sugar.
I guess, we'll agree to disagree.
Huns=/=wall of text you wrote.
I fully agree with you here. The actual peoples/armors/leathers/outfits that inspired WoW Centaur like the Huns, Mongols, Turks, etc. had elaborate, layered armors, definitely shoulder armors.
More like torso+abdomen (including shoulders) armour. Yeah, the point I'm trying to make is that lore-wise centaurs are tribal so heavy armour has no place.
The WC3R Wendigo paint themselves and their caves. It's kinda like the Raptors in WoW stealing silver, adorning their nests with feathers, starting to evolve and communicate and be intelligent/sentient.
Obiviously, Wendigos are smart, they have shamans but they don't appear to be as advanced as Furbolgs and possibly Sasquatches. Talking about Warcraft III.
especially in WC3R has back armor. In Wow
none of those are technically Warcraft III. In the original they have some wooden or hardened cloth/leather stuff on their left shoulder.
Yet, even I concur, that probably WoW models porting into WC3:TFT is still cartoony/jagged enough... yet even when I today porting at least the building tents... the WC3R much higher-rez and reality tents/buidings are clashing with both WoW and especially old WC3.
Frankly the tents look realistic now. In the original they were just four planks and an empty cloth pyramid roof. I'm saying, like you, reason. Boldness has nothing to do with it if it's not within logic of the Warcraft III cultural aspect of races.
In many ways, the WC3R models are even better than WOW's. For example, WC3R got a new Gnoll model that is much more higher-rez and higher-realistic than what WoW has currently.
One thing I don't like though is that they decided to keep the furbolgs hunchbacked like the gnolls. It's OK, they were kind of like that in the original as well. It's a minor detail.
I take the broader lore as canon or head canon for me to play around with in my campaign. My campaign DOES and WILL deviate from the events of WoW, but that's my story, cherry-picking and getting inspired from multiple sources. I'd like to weave parts of Dorthar's story, Aratas' story, the Stonetalon Khan's story, and Leh'prah's story into something new, my vision for what Centaur may achieve in the world of Azeroth.
Sure, for a campaign, you need a proper story, especially if you don't want to make it your own that much but that doesn't mean you have to follow word by word. Consider the game as the canon first and expand upon that.
I'd say that the Tauren "claim" is just that - another biased source. While I applaud you for that original reference, I am in favor of a more Centaur-friendly lore that happened in Desolace post-Cataclysm.
There is no way to know if the tauren see them that way or if those are the creator's thoughts (mostly inclined toward the latter). I didn't say you can't have a story with "good" centaurs. We don't generalize that they are all evil. But it's fact that most of them were badly seen by tauren and night elves so it's not just one opinion.
I think the orcs are a better representation of the Mongols.
They indeed have been based on Mongols, Huns, Inuit and Black African tribes while the Centaurs are more toward Mongols and Tatars. Both had been described or shown to be invasive. Orcs were not peaceful even before the Warcraft II Gul'dan-Kil'jaeden-chaos/fel magic retcon.
"Like an elemental force of havoc and destruction we thundered through the lands of the Draenei devastating all that we beheld. Not one life was spared. No building was left standing. The only traces of their existence were the blood-soaked fields they had worked for nearly five thousand years and the rank, acrid smell of the huge victory fires that consumed the bodies of their young. The Draenei were a weak people - hardly worth the effort of our raiding sweep. In the end, however, even these simple victories serve to keep the inferior in their place… It has always been so with my kind. The savage, brutal tendencies of the masses are easily manipulated by those who hold true power. Power is the true force that drives the great destructive machine that is the Horde. Those who imagine themselves in possession of this power rally around their clan banners of violence. Yet without a common foe, even the leaders of the Orc clans blindly turn upon each other. The appetite for destruction that prevails amongst these fools drives the Horde; might and might alone is honored above all things."
The orcs were inspired by the orcs from central/northern European mythology.
Yeah right :D there so much Norse about them I can't even begin to tell what.

Level 27
At least people bit... cof... being too insistant about their own made super HD 27K mods, that ended being WoW rips from different eras and with very bad optimized models are going to be a thing of the past.

About the models, i could see some requested models being made, but apart of that not much of an explosion of different models of custom races, like the actual database has.

Level 6
Did you see the Fel Orc models? They are COMPLETELY different from the default Orcs! Would love to see an Illidan campaign where he commands Fel Orcs and various kinds of Demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.