• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WARCRAFT III: REFORGED RELEASES ON JANUARY 28, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
If I must have internet connection even to play single player campaign and custom maps because it bothers me.
First thing I really don't get why this would bother you, but anyway. This was pretty obvious from the start. You can't launch the game (to my knowledge) without your Battle.net app, and you can't (to my knowledge) start your Battle.net app without internet connection.

Ok, this may not sound like me, and I don't know what's gotten into me, but I just have the urge to say this. Of course I hope that Reforged will be a success. And if it's a success, we'll be getting DLCs. And I' hoping a DLC Gnomes vs Goblins, that adds the two races, and/or some gnome Tavern heroes. I just think it would be a hel lot of fun to kill goblins in Warcraft 3 (hope this didn't sound inappropriate).

Last edited:
Level 20
Just so you guys know...

When you launch the game, there is a login screen with a "play offline" button. It's currently disabled, probably because they want people to test online play, but it's there, which suggests that you will be able to play something offline. Probably campaigns, vs AI and custom maps, just like in the original game.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Just so you guys know, when you launch the game through battle.net there is a login screen that has a "play offline" option. It's currently disabled, but I imagine that's a rather strong hint that you will be able to play campaign/custom maps offline.
That's like with StarCraft II. Still, it doesn't mean you're playing the game in true offline mode.

Level 13
Just so you guys know, when you launch the game through battle.net there is a login screen that has a "play offline" option. It's currently disabled, but I imagine that's a rather strong hint that you will be able to play campaign/custom maps offline.
Nice to know. Though I don't get what's the point(difference) in playing offline?

Level 20
Nice to know. Though I don't get what's the point(difference) in playing offline?
The difference is that when you play online you have to have a stable internet connection, i.e. if your internet is down or has some issues, you might experience problems with running the game. With offline mode your internet connection doesn't matter.

That's like with StarCraft II. Still, it doesn't mean you're playing the game in true offline mode.
We don't know what it's like, because it's not available for testing.

---

Also, adding to my previous point - you can open up the battle.net launcher and start the game while being disconnected from the internet.

Last edited:
Level 13
The difference is that when you play online you have to have a stable internet connection, i.e. if your internet is down or has some issues, you might experience problems with running the game. With offline mode your internet connection doesn't matter.
Oh it was a rethorical question, but you actually answered. How nice! You deserve +rep, but sadly have to wait till tomorrow. :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I guess some people like to go on vacation atop a mountain in a cabin and play Warcraft III.

We don't know what it's like, because it's not available for testing.
I think we're quite positive, since you need to log in first, no?
Also, adding to my previous point - you can open up the battle.net launcher and start the game while being disconnected from the internet.
Is it even possible to start the app without being connected to the internet? Have you tried cutting the internet down beforehand?

Can't wait for this skin release.
reforgedabudhabi.png

Level 20
Is it even possible to start the app without being connected to the internet? Have you tried cutting the internet down beforehand?
Yes. I disconnected from the internet, turned off the app, waited a minute, turned it on again and launched Reforged. Got to the screen with the "play offline" button.

Level 34
First thing I really don't get why this would bother you, but anyway. This was pretty obvious from the start. You can't launch the game (to my knowledge) without your Battle.net app, and you can't (to my knowledge) start your Battle.net app without internet connection.
This is exactly what bothers me. I am here for single player campaigns and maps. I do not care about multiplayer. So what? I should obey their shitty system that everyone must have connection. I do not play against other guys I do not need connection. They should think about that before that many people are here for single player. So this is what I have problems with. What if I do not have internet for some reason? This is stupid, and nobody can convict me otherwise. You need to be online to play private stuff! For what reason? Complicated for nothing. Good old Wc3 is installed on your computer and you can start it any moment. Whoever wants online play, he must have internet. Few of us are in same time on this wifi. it can be slowed down on moments. I certainly do not want this as many people with who I talked in person.

Demo assets shown,either gameplay or trailer which is full orcs and humans, and undead units without buildings, with stratholme map supporting environment, probably took 6 months of development. Add that secret usa offline event that was somehwere around begining of 2018.
We dont know what they have been shown, but we can get it take extra 2-3 months of development.
Which would back us to december 2017 preparations maybe?

Aprrox nearly 2 year of assets development right?

Now , if you seen all orc,human units and buildings and undead units stayed totaly untouched in designs for almost 2 years (they fixed footman shield only tnx god xD), despite our feedback about the assets , question is : What have they been doing for this time xD?

I can totaly understand dealing with old engine and stuff...World editor improvments,bnet 2.0 integration, all those coding stuff....
I rly do.

But art shouldnt be a problem,its very weird...Some art designs are the main problem...

On the other hand so much assets looks unpolished like we are speaking of some alpha version built or early spring beta...

Some assets look cleaner than before,some are still dirty,mudy,rusty,blury,low res...Some are missing specularity inside orm texture map,some not...
Some look good (small amount)
Its very weird..

I had those theorys about secret art built,trying to give my self a hope.

But recently i got confirmation that art is set in stone,what we saw in beta is what it is...

Moment where i cry are tilesets the most (good they went purist way,but art should be alot more on high level and more in quality), and trees...

So goodluck everyone

Last edited:
Level 20
I bet the offline button will still be greyed out after the official release. That would make perfect sense.
Oh, aren't you clever with your little sarcasm? :)

I don't mind you trying to poke a bit of fun at me supposedly stating the obvious, but... There is always a chance that instead of activating that button, they will remove it before release, so what I've said actually wasn't that obvious :) Good try, though! :)

Yea, and you can run the test map function in WE.
And it would also be nice if you could stop spreading misinformation - you can play versus AI or launch a single player map through the client just fine.

Not worth it. Took one look then went back to old WE
Curious, considering Reforged Editor looks exactly the same as the old one. The only big difference is that is uses HD assets and is considerably slower.

---

As for whether it's worth to test it right now - yes, it is. Even if the only thing you get out of it is checking out the new graphics for yourself and seeing how the game runs on your PC. That's something.

Also @MasterHaosis - you should really read our discussion about the offline button on the previous page, hopefully it helps you calm down a bit :)

Last edited:
Level 11
What did not you like there?

Triggers in old custom maps doesnt function properly, small things like fog messed up on cliff edges etc.

Oh, aren't you clever with your little sarcasm? :)

Sorry didn't mean to sound rude, just joking a bit. Well I can't run single-player maps through the client in offline mode anyway. Maybe it was the slowness of the reforged WE that turned me off then:psmile:

Level 12
The main thing which bothers me with this release is the requirement for internet connection, even for single player. Back in the days, Warcraft III could even be a game to have fun in even when internet goes out.

Now if I'd love to play the game without the connection, I'd just get a big fu** you.

Level 11
The main thing which bothers me with this release is the requirement for internet connection, even for single player. Back in the days, Warcraft III could even be a game to have fun in even when internet goes out.

Now if I'd love to play the game without the connection, I'd just get a big fu** you.
It gets worse. Because of this reason, you don't actually own the game. Since Battle.net is necessary to play it, Blizz can essentially cut your access to the game at any point. Even further - if Blizz cuts the support for the game (remove it from Battle.net, or close down Battle.net itself), the game is lost to us. Can't play it.

Level 12
It gets worse. Because of this reason, you don't actually own the game. Since Battle.net is necessary to play it, Blizz can essentially cut your access to the game at any point. Even further - if Blizz cuts the support for the game (remove it from Battle.net, or close down Battle.net itself), the game is lost to us. Can't play it.

That's just sad. Hopefully they have a shred of respect towards the community and actually never actually do that. (The part where they cut support from the game and throw us the middle finger)

Level 13
Since Battle.net is necessary to play it, Blizz can essentially cut your access to the game at any point. Even further - if Blizz cuts the support for the game (remove it from Battle.net, or close down Battle.net itself), the game is lost to us. Can't play it.
I'm pretty certain that these won't happen ever. They won't ban your account, unless you break the law, or are a famouse person that just address dangerouse political issue(*cough*Hong Kong*cough*). Even if they stop supporting the game(which will probably happen a moment after it's patched to a somewhat stable state), they have zero reasons to remove it from Battle.net. I would bet that Starcraft has fewer players than Warcraft 3 even now, and it's still on Battle.net. Also even if Blizzard collapses(unlikely for a billion dollar company, despite the current situation), Battle.net will still be on the internet and accesable, even though it won't be supported anymore, and the shops won't be working and so on....

Level 34
Also @MasterHaosis - you should really read our discussion about the offline button on the previous page, hopefully it helps you calm down a bit
But I am confused bz that conversation. Can it be played offline or not?

Especially because Blizzard employee said to me that for not it is not still officially, but it may require connection to play.
I need to ask them that for what reason is that, if they know.

The main thing which bothers me with this release is the requirement for internet connection, even for single player.
FOR SINGLE PLAYER! This is what I am yelling these days. For what possible reason do you need to be connected to play single player which is private? Do they need to espionage what you play? There is no logical reason for that decision.

Anyway I got another message from Blizzard guys, honestly, fair play for them, they seem to care about potential customers at all.
Man told me that they hate to tell me that my computer would be fine, just in case that development finally may change and thus specifications. So I need to watch carefully and check before buy it. I did not expect this honestly, despite corporation needs to sell product massively to everyone, but guys here were professionals. They warned me before I buy it. Now I have moral obligation to speak truth regardless that I do not like corporations these days. I can't hide this from you. Yes, I still think that company should be punished for false advertising, for silence, but accepting money all time and such... But when you send them message, they try to reply you in 24 hours (second one I got few hours later), and they do not try to fool you. They could easily tell me to buy it anyway, that everything is alright. Seems that game is being polished and fixed right now, so it may look at something decent after release. Good sign!

Level 11
FOR SINGLE PLAYER! This is what I am yelling these days. For what possible reason do you need to be connected to play single player which is private?
Probably because that's the only way to implement microtransactions (yes the game will have them).

Level 20
But I am confused bz that conversation. Can it be played offline or not?
Played? No, not at the moment. But the button is there, which indicates that it is/was planned.

Why isn't it available right now? It might be because Blizzard wants people to play while connected, so they can passively collect feedback while people are playing.

Especially because Blizzard employee said to me that for not it is not still officially, but it may require connection to play.
Do you really think that a customer support agent will tell you something that hasn't been oficially announced? Come on.

I need to ask them that for what reason is that, if they know.
Like I've said - customer support agents aren't allowed to tell people things that aren't official, so you can ask them all you want, but unless you have a close friend who works at Blizzard and will tell you something in private, you're not going to get any additional info by sending a ticket.

Man told me that they hate to tell me that my computer would be fine, just in case that development finally may change and thus specifications. So I need to watch carefully and check before buy it.
That's a fair answer - but notice that the representative didn't tell you anything that wasn't already known. Also, the answer that he gave you is probably the very reason why we don't know the system requirements yet - there's still some polishing left to do and Blizzard doesn't want to announce anything until they are sure, because that could potentially screw over some people, who'd buy the game only to later find out that ultimately they can't play.

In this matter, I think it's best if we just give them time. When they feel comforable enough, they will announce the system requirements.

Probably because that's the only way to implement microtransactions (yes the game will have them).
Seriously... stop selling your opinions as facts, because you might mislead people. The truth is - we don't know if Reforged will have microtransactions.

Oh can you elaborate more, what does that mean to single player?
Nothing. We don't know if single player will use skins at all, let alone how it could work.

I know @Amigoltu might sound like he knows "something" that we don't, but I very, very much doubt that he does. And all we know is that there are a couple of preorder skins and two female hero variants, which can only be used in melee multiplayer. That's all. Whether they will add more skins, or if they are microtransactions or where will the be used - we DON'T KNOW.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Do they need to espionage what you play? There is no logical reason for that decision.
Anti-piracy measure.
The truth is - we don't know if Reforged will have microtransactions.
Conclusions drawn out of uncertainty are not facts but opinions.
It's 99% probability we'll get that seeing all their newer games have that, even StarCraft: Remastered.

Last edited:
Level 4
@Amigoltu This time last year you were defending Blizzard's busted-ass patches, calling people cry babies for being upset that everything they were working on was derailed suddenly. Now look at ya. Blizzard has been consistently questionable but you've changed your demeanor. Just putting this out there.

All in all, this whole updating War3 saga has been unprofessionally handled since it began, starting with poor communication with the community, typical airhead fucking company mistakes. Still keeping my copy though because it's personally worth it to me.

Level 20
Conclusions drawn out of uncertainty are not facts but opinions.
I take it the opinion you mention is referring to what @Amigoltu said, not to what I've said, because the latter would make absolutely zero logical sense.

It's 99% sure we'll get that seeing all their newer games have that, even StarCraft: Remastered.
On the other hand, pulling numbers out of a certain natural hole in your body doesn't make your statement any more likely.

It isn't "99% sure" - you are "99% sure" that it is going to be the case.

I mean no melee vs/allied AI on BETA?
You can play vs AI in the beta.

---

Either you people don't believe me or you have problems with reading comprehension... Here, maybe this will help - I'm not spoiler tagging that one for visibility reasons.

game-vs-ai-jpg.343138

As you can see, you can easily play versus AI in the Beta by creating a game in Custom Games, picking a map and filling the empty slots with AI players. It works absolutely fine - I know, because that's like 90% of Beta games that I've played so far.

But if you need futher proof that it loads... Here's an in-game screenshot:

vs-ai-2-jpg.343135

Oh, and the "play offline" button.

offline-mode-jpg.343136

Last edited:
Level 11
Seriously... stop selling your opinions as facts, because you might mislead people. The truth is - we don't know if Reforged will have microtransactions.
Which is why I specifically said "probably". I did not try to "sell" anything as facts.
On the other hand, look at this:

875746.jpg

What does that look like? Hmm?

@Amigoltu This time last year you were defending Blizzard's busted-ass patches, calling people cry babies for being upset that everything they were working on was derailed suddenly. Now look at ya. Blizzard has been consistently questionable but you've changed your demeanor. Just putting this out there.
OMG people can change their opinions! What a twist!
Seriously, how could I not have changed my opinion at this point? There's a limit even to how much a fanboy in denial can take...

Level 13
We don't know if single player will use skins at all, let alone how it could work.
Well, single player is in the Beta, so pretty much anyone with Spoils of War can tell us weather those skins work in single player(vs (multiple) AI/allied with AI).
and two female hero variants
Those are "default" melee heros(the ones you're meant to have in melee maps). They've added the option to play as Arthas/Illidan cause purists cri...complained about the gender. We've been over this already :p
These two will be in single player definitely!

Last edited:
Level 20
I've added screenshots above - "offline" button and playing vs AI.

Since you like to play big, edit this post when the first microtransaction comes out.
I don't get your point.

I've never said that I think Reforged won't have microtransactions. In fact, I can agree that looking at Blizzard's recent history, there's a strong possibility that it will. But regardless, all I'm saying here is that it's not okay for people to take their opinions based on uncertainty and express them as if they are something confirmed.

I'm not arguing against the viewpoint that it's possible or even likely that Reforged will have paid skins. Not at all. All I'm arguing for is sticking to the facts when talking about facts or expressing opinions when talking about opinions. Not mixing the two.

Which is why I specifically said "probably". I did not try to "sell" anything as facts.
You did. You specifically said:

Probably refers to the question you were asked, i.e. the reason why it MIGHT be necessary to always be online. That's a possibility statement. One that - as you may have noticed - I didn't have any issues with.

The part in the brackets is you stating that Reforged will have microtransactions as if it was a fact - the form you chose makes it obvious. You didn't say "yes, the game will LIKELY have them", you said "the game WILL have them", i.e. you specifically made it sound like something that is certain. And it isn't - it's your opinion.

What does that look like? Hmm?
Now, I agree that it might be a hint that microtransactions are coming, but it might also be nothing. Just think about it - wouldn't it be ridiculous if people who bought the Spoils of War editions were locked to those 4 skins? Yes, it would. Thus it was obvious that Reforged would require some UI that would allow the people to change their skins. I'll admit - I'm playing a little bit of a devil's advocate here, but it's totally possible that the devs decided that it would be better to have that in the menu. And the result of that decision might be exactly what we're seeing in the screenshot.

The real question here is whether they will continue adding anything to it - like more female versions, cross-promotions (i.e. skins from buying their other games) or paid skins. And as much as I might agree with you that it's likely, the truth is - we have no idea.

Well, single player is in the Beta, so pretty much anyone with Spoils of War can tell us weather those skins work in single player(vs (multiple) AI/allied with AI).
That's a fair suggestion.

The description for skins says that they apply to Versus [i.e. melee matchmaking] games, but still I went ahead and tested in on a quickly made single player custom map. Now, I can't say for Spoils of War skins, because I don't own them, but I launched the map through custom games with and without the female DH skin enabled inside the collection menu. In both cases I got the default male DH.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
. But regardless, all I'm saying here is that it's not okay for people to take their opinions based on uncertainty and express them as if they are something confirmed.
Sure, that's why they're opinions but you're countering them with more uncertainty which is not an argument or fact ("we don't know"=0; like saying nothing; it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt).
I think there's also language barrier issues involved since most of us are Europeans or at least non-native English speakers/writers.

Level 20
Sure, that's why they're opinions but you're countering them with more uncertainty which is not an argument or fact ("we don't know"=0).
So what you're saying is that uncertainty isn't a fact, i.e. it's possible that Blizzard confirmed that Reforged will have microtransaction skins? Where?

---

Also, this is a screenshot of a skin description - just in case:

skins-description-jpg.343143

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
So what you're saying is that uncertainty isn't a fact, i.e. it's possible that Blizzard confirmed that Reforged will have microtransaction skins? Where?
I'm saying the probability is high for microtransactions from what we see with those skins and the fact that their other games have microtransatctions while a sentence like "we don't know" has no value in this context.

Level 20
I'm saying the probability is high for microtransactions from what we see with those skins and the fact that their other games have microtransatctions while a sentence like "we don't know" has no value in this context.
I gave it some thought.

The fallacy of your logic lies in the assumption that I'm countering the opinion that Reforged will have microtransactions by saying "we don't know". In that context, this statement obviously has no value. While it IS a fact, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. The thing is, that's not the context in which I'm using that statement. It isn't meant to be an argument against Reforged having microtransactions, but an argument for not pushing one's opinions as facts. Completely different context.

Last edited:
Level 13
The description for skins says that they apply to Versus [i.e. melee matchmaking] games, but still I went ahead and tested in on a quickly made single player custom map. Now, I can't say for Spoils of War skins, because I don't own them, but I launched the map through custom games with and without the female DH skin enabled inside the collection menu. In both cases I got the default male DH.

So... No, it doesn't seem like skins apply anywhere else than in melee matchmaking.
But the females are available in single player melee(with AI)?

Level 20
But the females are available in single player melee(with AI)?
So, I've tested it again and... my previous post on this topic was actually misinformed. Sorry.

Upon futher inspection, it goes like this:

a) Skins work in: versus mode, vs AI melee games.
b) Skins don't work in: single player custom maps.

If you want me to test any other scenario, let me know.

As it stands right now, I think the deciding factor might be whether the map is flagged as melee or not. If yes then the game will use your chosen skin, regardless of whether you play in versus mode, a custom game or against an AI. If not, then the game will default to original heroes. That's just my theory.

I'll try making a very simple 1v1 map that's not "melee" and see if it works then. I'll update this post when I'm done.

Level 20
Okay, so an update.

It appears that my theory about skins only being useable in melee maps (regardless of whether you're playing versus or a custom game) might be correct. I've taken an existing melee map, added a pre-placed player unit (thus making the map non-melee), made sure I have female DH turned on and started a game vs AI. The skin wasn't working - the game reverted to using the male DH.

Answering @deepstrasz question - yes, you can use skins in the editor. At first I couldn't really find it anywhere, but when you double click a hero, there's an option to select a skin. I haven't checked all of them, but I was able to use Spoils of War Jaina (even though I have the base edition) and the female Demon Hunter, so I guess they're all useable in custom games, regardless of whether you have Spoils of War or not.

Level 13
Would you check this out:
It seems the newest patch added different skins for High Elf and Blood Elf units. That's really nice.
If you want me to test any other scenario, let me know.
Can you check if there is a different skin for High Elf and Blood Elf Archer. And possibly a screenshot with High elven one in Blue/Teal/Light Blue color and Blood elven one in Red color. The only thing I can give in return is some rep, but I'm just asking.

Also, I've never seen elven Town Hall/Keep/Castle, is it in the editor? And do elven buildings have High/Blood elven versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.